Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by MotoChi
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

First post in a long time, been fortunate to be problem free since I acquired this Creature 2 years ago.

Went to fire up a game last week, and after pressing start, balls wouldn't feed into the trough lane. Finally got a chance to run tests, when I go into test mode, under solenoids, on "trough 4", nothing is happening.

New to this type of repair. I'm assuming the coil has gone bad, correct? I just lifted the play field (as I had lifted the field since it last worked), all connectors to the coil look good.

I assume the test would be to take a voltmeter to the coil connectors and see if it's getting volts under the test? If the coil is bad, it appears that I just need to replace with this part (http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=159), correct?

Thanks for any help/advice. Like I mentioned, new to this type of repair. Not intimidated with doing my own repairs, just new to it.

#2 7 years ago

Coils usually don't "go bad."

When you're testing it you have the coin door closed correct?

Should always check fuses before the coil. Run a coil test for all coils...let's see if there's more than one coil not working.

#3 7 years ago

Would be odd for the coil to be bad.

More likely a broken wire at the coil - especially the tiny ones going from the coil to the lugs, you need to dig around them to find a crack or break. Then check continuity of the wiring to the power driver board, probably a loose wire at another coil or connector along the way.

LTG : )

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

When you're testing it you have the coin door closed correct?

His game doesn't have a high power interlock switch.

LTG : )

#5 7 years ago

Thanks for the quick replies. I originally ran tests for all solenoids, the tough lane feed was the only one not working. In fact, I'd run every single test, it's just this one solenoid.

I'll try to put a volt meter on it under a test. First I got to find my volt meter, and talk my wife into holding the field up (table is in basement, and ceiling just too short to lock field into up position). So might not get to this until Sunday.

The lane feed was working. I had to raise the field to get to my Rasberry Pi (Mike D's mod) to reflash a mem card, but was very careful raising and lowering the field. I could have bumped something that broke a connection, but I'm usually pretty careful raising the field. But, it appears this solenoid did quit working after first power up from raising field.

#6 7 years ago

Well you can always run the test in repeat, and jiggle the wires around to see if that does anything.

#7 7 years ago

Dug out my voltmeter. Found a youtube vid on coils on pins, author said to test a coil I should get above a 2~3 on ohms. Did a resistance test, nothing, no movement in display at all. Turned pin on, set coil in running test mode, hooked up voltmeter, got volts coming to the posts. So it appears the coil is dead. Sound like correct assumption? Thanks again for any advice.

1 week later
#8 7 years ago

You guys were right. One of the wires on the coil's post was loose. Quick solder and everything was back in order. Thanks for all the advice!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 24.00
$ 9.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.95
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-lane-feed-solenoid-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.