Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by j69
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hey all - I'm having an issue with the window on my Creature. I've been living with it for a while but was in there for something else and figured I'd work on it. I had assumed the issue I was having was because part of the window was either above or below the playfield. Well, it turns out it's not.

Basically, when moving slower either down or across the playfield, the ball would roll in wonky ways. Well, it turns out the problem is that the window has some fairly substantial gaps between the edge of the window and the playfield opening on the sides. So, the ball will tend to "catch" and tend to follow that channel which causes add rolling effects.

Has anyone else had this issue? How did you go about resolving it. I think the playfield is original and I'm pretty sure the window is as well. But, I'm not as sure about the window. But, both are as they were when I acquired the game.

Thanks,
Jaz

#2 10 years ago

The window is mounted to the underside of the playfield with small rubbers in between that allow you to raise and lower it to make sure it's totally level. If you loosen those all you'll be able to adjust the window in the plane of the playfield, to make sure the gap is consistent all the way around.

If you lift the playfield, grab a socket, and check those out, I think you'll find it is pretty easy to adjust.

Tom

#3 10 years ago

Thanks Tom. The problem is that the gap is too big to adjust out...

Jaz

#4 10 years ago

When I replaced my window, I had to replace all of the rubber washers that were on the bolts since the old ones were long rotted away. Can you add a set of these to the bolts to sit between the playfield and the window to reduce that gap?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/38-0316B

#5 10 years ago

Even if the window is perfectly level, if the gap between the window and playfield is just the right size, it can still catch a slow rolling ball. I wonder if there's some variation in this gap from Creature to Creature?

You could try buying this and laying it over the playfield: http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GS-CFTBL-PF-PROTECTOR

It would get rid of the gap, but it would probably play a little different, and rollover switches may need adjusting.

#6 10 years ago

Plastic and wood shrink and expand differently as a result of temperature moisture and time

#7 10 years ago

It happens on mine too. The best way I have found to minimize the ball rolling in the cracks is to have the lower part of the window level with the playfield, but have the top of the window slightly higher than the playfield, and I mean slightly. The ball will kinda "hop" over the gap, so you dont cause wear to the edge of your playfield.

#8 10 years ago

I also have had my window do this to a slow moving ball. Will be following this thread to learn more. Thanks for the links!

8 years later
#9 1 year ago

Mine does same with slow moving ball…any suggestions?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Hey all - I'm having an issue with the window on my Creature. I've been living with it for a while but was in there for something else and figured I'd work on it. I had assumed the issue I was having was because part of the window was either above or below the playfield. Well, it turns out it's not.
Basically, when moving slower either down or across the playfield, the ball would roll in wonky ways. Well, it turns out the problem is that the window has some fairly substantial gaps between the edge of the window and the playfield opening on the sides. So, the ball will tend to "catch" and tend to follow that channel which causes add rolling effects.
Has anyone else had this issue? How did you go about resolving it. I think the playfield is original and I'm pretty sure the window is as well. But, I'm not as sure about the window. But, both are as they were when I acquired the game.
Thanks,
Jaz

Do you find a fix?

My CFTBL does exactly what you described

1 year later
#11 6 months ago

Bumping this. Any solutions?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 24.00
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-issue-with-window-fit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.