DSCF8616_edited-1.jpg
beansmile3.jpg
IMG_5047.JPG
IMG_5040.JPG
IMG_5039.JPG
IMG_4999.JPG
IMG_4995.JPG
IMG_4994.JPG
There are 503 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.
#201 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Love this MikeD. Thanks for the hard work. Any chance that there will be a game at MGC with this mod on display? I would liek to see it in person.

When is it?

#202 11 years ago

When you show the hologram it's at a different, zoomed in camera angle. Is it the LCD displaying that?

#203 11 years ago

MGC is this weekend in WI

#204 11 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

When you show the hologram it's at a different, zoomed in camera angle. Is it the LCD displaying that?

That is the raw actual footage shot of an NOS hologram in action. We will take that footage (tweak it some) and display it on the LCD, which is mounted at an angle inside the cab. The creature will be sized to fit in the lagoon window area like the original hologram. He won’t be 3D because he is a 2D video, but he'll always be green and look exactly like the original hologram. I will however eliminate the area around the hologram frame, so you won’t see the inside of the cabinet bordering the hologram on the LCD screen.

#205 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

MGC is this weekend in WI

Sorry, looks like it won’t be there this weekend. We'll get them out to shows once the boards are finished (FYI – I pester Tony every other day about the boards). I'll also shoot an in depth YouTube video as well once the MOD is available. I can’t give away all my secrets just yet

#206 11 years ago

Please add me to the list.

THANKS!

Kenny from the Black Lagoon

#207 11 years ago
Quoted from stifflip6544:

THANKS!
Kenny from the Black Lagoon

Will Do.

#209 11 years ago

if anyone is planning on getting this mod and wants to use the TV he recommended, best buy has it on sale this week for $99 (its usually $120).
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia%26%23153%3B+-+19%26%2334%3B+Class+(18-1/2%26%2334%3B+Diag.)+-+LED+-+720p+-+60Hz+-+HDTV/5606251.p?id=1218671114012&skuId=5606251

FYI - The mounting hardware is design specifically for this TV. Here's the stand:

IMG_4323.JPGIMG_4323.JPG

#210 11 years ago

Counting down the days to when I get to install this awesome mod.
Can't wait to see what options are available.

I'm wondering if this could be used on AC/DC. Replace the picture of the band on the Pro model or the dancing plastic figures of the band on the Premiums and LEs with a small HDTV loaded with concert footage or music videos. I think that would ROCK (pun intended).

CFTBL_with_Poster.jpgCFTBL_with_Poster.jpg

#211 11 years ago

I just found a 5" HD monitor used on DSLR cameras.

It operates on 5-16 volts DC.
Has a HDMI input.
Measures 91H x 134W x 16D millimeters.
Weighs 150g.

All that's left to determine is the mounting. I think it would be pretty easy to design something that would make it look like one of the giant monitors they use at stadium concerts.

This may very well be a doable project.

Puns003.gifPuns003.gif

#212 11 years ago

Hi Guy's. Sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

Just wondering if a suitable 1080p monitor was used, does your mod have the ability to output the video at 1080p resolution, or is 720p the max?

#213 11 years ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

Hi Guy's. Sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it.
Just wondering if a suitable 1080p monitor was used, does your mod have the ability to output the video at 1080p resolution, or is 720p the max?

The MOD's CPU is capable of displaying 1080p graphics, but the monitor we selected only supports 720p. We wanted to keep the total package price of the MOD as low as possible, so the TV we selected was the best bang for the buck. We experimented with 3 different monitors through out the design process and feel the one we selected was the best in terms of price and picture quality.

#214 11 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

Has a HDMI input.
Weighs 150g.
All that's left to determine is the mounting. I think it would be pretty easy to design something that would make it look like one of the giant monitors they use at stadium concerts.

What is the price?

#215 11 years ago

I've seen it available for $225 shipped from a couple of online sources. Makes it a more expensive mod, but I might just have to give this a shot.

#216 11 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

Has a HDMI input.
Weighs 150g.

I'm not sure I want Penguins on my CFTBL, is there any other option?

#217 11 years ago

Quick update: Most of the pricing has been established, but we are still working with Planetary/Universal to determine what the exact royalty fees will be for the use of several additional movie clips. These additional clips would be used for video mode features that we have yet to reveal, but I’m sure some of you can guess as to what we are working on

Tony at GLM has been working on the interface boards and we should have them very soon. The final design/layout of the boards took more time than we anticipated, but I don’t think it will disappoint. In the meantime Rust and I have been working on the hologram option as well as several additional modes.

1 week later
#218 11 years ago

I noticed your awesome topper, what does it do? Can you tell me more about it?

I'm soon to pick up my Creech and not only am I glad about this new mod but would also like a cool topper like yours.

Cheers,

RT.

Quoted from MadPole:

Counting down the days to when I get to install this awesome mod.
Can't wait to see what options are available.
I'm wondering if this could be used on AC/DC. Replace the picture of the band on the Pro model or the dancing plastic figures of the band on the Premiums and LEs with a small HDTV loaded with concert footage or music videos. I think that would ROCK (pun intended).

#219 11 years ago

thanks

John

1 week later
#221 10 years ago

WOOOOT! LET'S GO!!

#222 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

So, it’s been awhile since I posted any video updates. Here’s a quick look at the hologram displayed on the LCD TV. Again, the MOD will have two options: (1) hologram emulation – this will mimic the functionality of the original game with the addition of the attract video, or (2) the custom version of the creature as previously shown. Modes are easily activated by installing/removing a jumper pin on the interface board, so the MOD will ship with both options programmed and you get to choose. If you get tired of one mode, just move the jumper to run the other video mode. We should have all of the additional programming (additional new video features) completed in the next few weeks. Hopefully this will coincide with the completion of the PCBs. I’ll post more details (final price, new video features, availability, etc.) in the upcoming weeks.
» YouTube video

Awesome. I want in on this baby.

#223 10 years ago

...ok...where's the Take My Money pic??

#224 10 years ago

Here's a pic of the hologram. Sorry, best I could do with my iPhone.

hologram.pnghologram.png

#225 10 years ago

hey Mike....will this be close to plug and play?

My Holo is not that bad, actually green with just a hint of blue. I would consider getting this, but would like to be able to reinstall the original in the future if need be....

#226 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

hey Mike....will this be close to plug and play?
My Holo is not that bad, actually green with just a hint of blue. I would consider getting this, but would like to be able to reinstall the original in the future if need be....

100% plug and play

You remove the hologram housing bracket from the bottom of the playfield as well as the mirror motor assembly in the bottom of the cabinet. Then you remove the triac board that drives the mirror motor (the one mounted inside the cabinet on the left side wall). Our circuit board assembly then screws into the side of the cabinet; in the exact same holes as the removed triac board. The TV is mounted on a stand that is attached to the bottom of the cabinet using the mirror motor assembly mounting holes. The interface cabling consists of two harnesses (might end up being 3) and an HDMI cable. One harness is used to power the monitor and the other is used to connect all the system trigger inputs to the MOD’s interface board. All of the cabling will be long enough to be routed cleanly throughout.

#227 10 years ago

100% plug and play
You remove the hologram housing bracket from the bottom of the playfield as well as the mirror motor assembly in the bottom of the cabinet. Then you remove the triac board that drives the mirror motor (the one mounted inside the cabinet on the left side wall). Our circuit board assembly then screws into the side of the cabinet; in the exact same holes as the removed triac board. The TV is mounted on a stand that is attached to the bottom of the cabinet using the mirror motor assembly mounting holes. The interface cabling consists of two harnesses (might end up being 3) and an HDMI cable. One harness is used to power the monitor and the other is used to connect all the system trigger inputs to the MOD’s interface board. All of the cabling will be long enough to be routed cleanly throughout.

I feel like I am listening to an interview with a rock star. This going to be awesome. *faints*

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

I feel like I am listening to an interview with a rock star. This going to be awesome. *faints*

It is really cool!

Your comment reminds me of this lol:

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from Phetishboy:

Too funny – I’m just glad I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. This whole thing took much longer than I ever anticipated, but I think it’ll be worth it.

Oh, and I usually just play the acoustic these days

#230 10 years ago

I can't wait to install this in my game and get rid of my sick blue Creature!

1 week later
#231 10 years ago

Now that we’ve tallied up the final vendor costs, we’ve come up with the following pricing for our LCD MOD:

MOD - $439.99 plus shipping

Interface Board Update:

Tony at GLM has finished the design (sorry for the delays, but we kept finding ways to improve the overall functionality of the boards – we’d rather get this right the first time) and we are now moving into production. Per Tony, we should be getting the first batch of interface boards in roughly 3 weeks. We’ll begin assembling MODs at that time. I’ll contact people, requesting payment, in the order they were added to the pre-order list. If you did not email me directly at [email protected] then I have not put you on the list.

“So, what will I get if I buy this MOD?”

Good Question, you’ll get the following:

(1) One 18.5” HD TV with remote control
(2) One custom fabricated 1/8” steel TV mounting stand. The stand will be powder coated in a black crinkle finish, like standard Stern Hardware.
(3) One custom pending patented interface board designed to work with up to 8 unique game triggers.
(4) One CPU brain board – This is what drives the MOD, playing various media files based on the triggers registered by the interface board.
(5) All necessary cable harnesses needed to install the MOD.
(6) One HDMI cable
(7) One SD card
(8) All necessary mounting hardware needed to install the MOD

Our MOD is 100% plug and play and doesn’t require any permanent modifications be made to the actual game.

Initial Release Software Features:

(1) Two modes of operation

(1a) Hologram Emulation Mode – When the MOD is setup in this mode it will function exactly like the original hologram. The LCD screen will be black except when the hologram is displayed. Images of the hologram will be flashed when “FILM” letters are awarded and the multiball video will display the hologram in motion. We used an NOS Hologram to create these media files. No, it isn’t 3D, but the Creature displayed is original and he’ll always be green. The only other video played in Hologram Emulation Mode is the “attract” video.

(1b) Our Custom Mode – This mode of operation will feature all of the items listed under items (2) through (6) below

(2) Custom Attract Video – played while game is in attract mode
(3) Custom Screen Saver Image – this is displayed during game play when no video files are running
(4) “FILM” Letter Awards – 4 different creature images are used. As “FILM” letters are awarded an image of the creature is displayed instead of an image of the hologram. The images are displayed in a random order.
(5) Custom Multiball Video – played once the creature is located during multiball. This replaces the hologram video.
(6) Mystery Video Modes – We are developing 4 new videos that will be displayed based on specific game play modes. Two of the 4 videos will definitely be incorporated in the initial release. I’ll have a video up on YouTube in another few weeks showing off these new features.

“How will future software up-dates work?”

Good question, if we can’t incorporate all 4 of the new “Mystery Video Modes” in the initial release then the first update will be free, you simply send us your SD card and pay for postage. As an alternative, we can provide a new SD card with updated software at cost plus postage.

“What are you planning on doing with the MOD in the future?”

We are working on developing the following:

(1) Additional “FILM” award images of the creature
(2) Animated screen saver video instead of static image
(3) A third mode of operation, this is in addition to the Hologram Emulation Mode and our Custom Mode, that will allow you to creature your own version of any video file displayed. In other words, your videos would be played instead of our custom videos. In order to do this we are developing a software package that will enable you to make your own videos. The software would take your video file and format it (rotate, position, and overlay our black bezel) to work with the 18.5” LCD TV.
(4) Integrate audio functionality into videos where applicable
(5) Whatever else we dream up until we are tired of playing CFTBL

I’ll post more updates when we get the boards. Tony did a great job on these; they look fantastic.

Mike

#232 10 years ago

I just wet myself...

#233 10 years ago

Mike, great work on this! It's looking great

#234 10 years ago
Quoted from dfmassi:

I just wet myself...

Wetting in progress....

#235 10 years ago

When can I see it in person? Looks great!

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

When can I see it in person? Looks great!

As I mentioned above, I’ll have a video up on YouTube once the finished boards have arrived. The video will showcase: all the video mode features, what the MOD looks like installed, pictures of the harnesses/stand/boards, etc. It will be full disclosure. At that point you can decide if this MOD is for you or not.

3 weeks later
#237 10 years ago

Keyboard, mouse, and programmer sold separately

IMG_4988.JPGIMG_4988.JPG

#238 10 years ago

Great news, been looking forward to this for quite a while!!

I've already purchased the TV from Best Buy, it was $99 in Canada so I figured why not, but sending the power cable to you could be a problem, is this something I could do myself??

#239 10 years ago

Damn.
Saw that the thread was updated and got all excited.

#240 10 years ago

Mike, you confused me. If I buy the Insignia TV myself, do I still need you to modify the cable? If so, there has to be a better way to do this, I would think. An exchange program, perhaps?

#242 10 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

Mike, you confused me. If I buy the Insignia TV myself, do I still need you to modify the cable? If so, there has to be a better way to do this, I would think. An exchange program, perhaps?

If you can install a connector yourself, then I don't have an issue with you modifying the cable. Cut the TV's power cable and install a 2 pin connector (like the ones used for WPC ramp micro switches). We'll provide the connector and pins. However, you must get the polarity right for the system to work. I'll cover this in the installation video.

#243 10 years ago
Quoted from MadPole:

Damn.
Saw that the thread was updated and got all excited.

Waiting on some prototype boards form Tony, should have them this week. We spent all day working on the new code, so we'll have an updated video out once the new boards are here. I think you'll be happy with the new features

#244 10 years ago

If you can install a connector yourself, then I don't have an issue with you modifying the cable. Cut the TV's power cable and install a 2 pin connector (like the ones used for WPC ramp micro switches). We'll provide the connector and pins. However, you must get the polarity right for the system to work. I'll cover this in the installation video.

That shouldn't be a problem for me, Thanks

Really looking forward to getting this!!!

#245 10 years ago

Can't wait for this bad boy! crossing my fingers the boards arrive soon I want to see some video

#246 10 years ago

Thanks, that sounds a whole lot better than me shipping a cable to you and waiting to have it shipped back.

#247 10 years ago

Here's a sneak peek at the board. I'll have another video up tonight with all the new game features. So close now

Screen_Shot_2013-05-31_at_6.09.18_AM.pngScreen_Shot_2013-05-31_at_6.09.18_AM.png

#248 10 years ago

Here's a quick look at the final product video testing (few things to tweak, but 99% complete):

This should give those of you that have been contemplating purchasing this MOD a better idea of what you'll be getting. I'll be contacting folks (in the order they contact me) this weekend in order to verify purchasing commitments. Assuming all goes well, I'll receive the two GLM test boards Monday of next week. We'll run them through the paces and move forward with production.

I'll post another video next week to illustrate how the MOD is actually installed.

#249 10 years ago

very cool! I wish there was an option to use all of the features, but use the emulated original hologram instead of the movie version when in creech mode.

#250 10 years ago

That looks awesome!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 503 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-hologram-mod/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.