DSCF8616_edited-1.jpg
beansmile3.jpg
IMG_5047.JPG
IMG_5040.JPG
IMG_5039.JPG
IMG_4999.JPG
IMG_4995.JPG
IMG_4994.JPG
There are 503 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.
#151 11 years ago

Here’s a sneak peak of the attract mode video. Keep in mind that this is just a single screen shot taken from the actual 2 minute video. Hopefully, we’ll have this finished for another YouTube video update this weekend. The featured movie was shot completely underwater with a 30fps HD camera; the footage emulates what the creature would see while swimming in his lagoon.

Also, we should be getting our first shipment of interface boards within the next 3 weeks, so we are still on track for early next year.

#152 11 years ago

Sorry, seem to be having issues loading the image

Helps when I'm not being stupid

creature.pngcreature.png

#153 11 years ago

Wow. I continue to be really impressed with this mod. Keep up the great work.

#154 11 years ago

That is going to be SWEET!!
Put me on the list for one.

1 week later
#155 11 years ago

This actually makes me want to buy a Creech!

1 week later
#156 11 years ago

WOW! Great work!
I would definitely pick one of these up when they become available!
My Creech is HUO and the hologram is perfect, I like it, but this makes it feel so much more alive!

1 week later
#157 11 years ago

It’s been awhile since I posted anything, so here’s a quick update regarding the project:

We finished up with all of the electrical testing last week and now have the prototype system (both monitor and processor) powering directly from the machine regardless of whether it’s a foreign or domestic model. We’ve also added hardware to our interface board that will allow us to utilize unregulated DC voltage sources, so now any insert light in the machine can be used as an event trigger. We’ve also added an additional trigger input, so there are a total of nine system inputs now instead of eight. The ninth trigger bit will be used to emulate the original hologram design (meaning it will flash an image in conjunction with “FILM” letters and play a multiball video when the creature is located during game play), only we are giving you the ability to load your own video/picture files. It will work as follows; the interface board will be equipped with a jumper (to control the ninth trigger bit) that when in place will enable the system to function per our vision. When the jumper is removed the system will function as the hologram was originally design. When the jumper is removed the system will play whatever image you want to flash for the “FILM” letter awards and whatever video file you load for the multiball video. We feel this approach provides the most flexible solution possible. If you like our artwork package and approach you’ve got it. If you are a purest and want to emulate the original you’ve got it. Once the product is released we will have a YouTube video that will walk you through how to load your own video and picture files (so more on that later).

I can also announce that we have selected a monitor for the finished product. Our system will utilize an Insignia 18.5” LED HD 720P HDTV for the monitor (Model: NS-19E310A13). Here is a link to the monitor we are using: http://www.insigniaproducts.com/products/televisions/NS-19E310A13.html

We tested numerous monitors during the development of this MOD and this one made the grade. Our criteria was as follows, we wanted a monitor that was HD rated, utilized actual HDMI video connections instead of composite video connections, was powered via 12VDC, and large enough to completely fill the lagoon window. One of my pet peeves with the original hologram design is that you can see the inside of the cabinet when the hologram is lit. The larger monitor eliminates that scenario entirely. We also wanted to use a stock monitor that’s available anywhere instead of some custom LCD screen that’s hard to find if you ever need to replace it.

tv.pngtv.png

#158 11 years ago

Sounds great!

Thanks for the update.

#159 11 years ago

I’ve received several inquiries regarding the monitor, specifically whether or not we will provide the monitor with the MOD. Let me clarify, the MOD will be offered with or without the monitor (you decide which option is best for you). However, keep in mind that if we provide the monitor it will ultimately cost you the consumer more money. This is due to the added costs associated with double shipping (us getting the monitor and then sending it to you). Also, the monitor is the largest component in the system, so it will increase our finish product shipping costs. Hope this info helps.

#160 11 years ago

All and can say is WOW!!!

Really nice to see that you are listening to your customers concerns about being able to have it look new and old/original. I am in assuming the price is right.

Great work and shaping up to set the high water mark for best mod of 2013!

#161 11 years ago

your project seem approch to the end
have you decide the cost for the two option with or without monitor ?
with the no monitor option the adaptation for the monitor will be present or not ?
are you using the vesa for fixing the monitor ?
have you a waiting list avalaible for the purchase ?

thank's

#162 11 years ago

We should be making a decision regarding the boards (who we will subcontract the work to) by the end of this week or early next week. That along with the mounting hardware will dictate the final price of the MOD. I have several machine shops quoting the stands for me, so that price should be determine shortly. Once the PCB manufacture is selected we will start a preorder thread. The boards will take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks to produce. I know the timeline stinks, but we decided it was silly to try and surface mount all the PCB components ourselves.

Early on we decided not to mount the monitor to the bottom of the playfield; that limited the monitor’s size and add unnecessary complexity to the mounting system. Plus, it adds weight to the playfield. In order to accommodate a larger monitor (for reasons previously mentioned) we have designed a stand that sits in the bottom of the cabinet. This also gave us the ability to adjust the screen’s placement (forward and backward). So, if you are taller you can move the screen further back in the cabinet and if you are shorter you can move it closer to the coin door.

#163 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Here's a video update as promised

Is this video (from 1 month ago) using the same type of TV for the monitor and mounting as you are looking at now? It looks more like it is flush mounted to the playfield which is what I had in my minds eye. If it is not the same setup, can you get some new video showing the way it will look upon completion?

I did see that you are hoping to put together another youtube this weekend, just hoping it is as the mod will be in our setup if we buy. Also hoping to see some footage or pictures of how it looks inside the cab. Nice work so far!

#164 11 years ago
Quoted from dapperdan24:

Is this video (from 1 month ago) using the same type of TV for the monitor and mounting as you are looking at now? It looks more like it is flush mounted to the playfield which is what I had in my minds eye. If it is not the same setup, can you get some new video showing the way it will look upon completion?
I did see that you are hoping to put together another youtube this weekend, just hoping it is as the mod will be in our setup if we buy. Also hoping to see some footage or pictures of how it looks inside the cab. Nice work so far!

Yes, it's the same monitor and mounting system. The only difference is the power supply; the new one is 12vdc and the old one was 120vac. We will disclose all the details (finial video, future upgrade package, mounting system, hardware, what it looks like installed, etc.) prior to posting the signup list. No surprises.

#165 11 years ago

Please add me to the list too. Great mod.

1 week later
#166 11 years ago

Quick update:

We are currently working with Tony at GLM to finalize the circuit layout. There are a few more items we want to bench test and then we’ll move into production. We are planning on making 20 to 50 units for our first production run.

I’ll post another video update this evening so you guys can see the prototype mounting hardware and the latest graphic features that have been added to the system.

#167 11 years ago

A Big {Thank You} finally my hologram will come back to life .
put me down four One too

#168 11 years ago

Cant wait to see it!!!! Put me on a list.

#170 11 years ago

I would like to get on the list also..

#172 11 years ago

Thanks for the update, looks awesome!

Couple thoughts:

I like the rail mounting that allows for sliding the monitor. Couldn't you also help this by removing the feathered black edge and instead fill the whole monitor with art? Of course the main elements of the art would still need to be centered but this way people of different heights would still see a window filled with art (and not more black for the person the monitor isn't set up for)? This way the only difference seen by people of different heights is the position of 'important' art.

Could the Creature attack loop be tightened up? I'm thinking of maybe a one second cross fade or morph between the end of the loop and the start of a new one.

#174 11 years ago

Regarding the black bezel, we tried numerous art layouts and this is the design that we decided looked the best. This was a unanimous decision by the entire team. Aesthetically, we wanted both the images and videos to have a consistent look and feel. The bezel helps establish a uniform look and it gave us a method for blending the playfield and LCD together. It was always important to us that the LCD look like it should be there and that stylistically the artwork matched that of the playfield's.

As far as the TV stand's adjustable design is concerned, less is more. Moving the screen an inch one way or the other makes a big difference. Just like the hologram, there isn't a perfect solution because the LCD screen in mounted is fixed location. The adjustment idea came up when we were testing the system. Personally, I like to stand back form the machine when I play, so I found the screen was easier to see (centered in the window) if I moved it back towards the rear of the cabinet. Slotting the TV stand gave us the ability to position the screen where we each wanted.

Unfortunately, the multiball video is what it is. I tried my best to edit the video for a perfectly smooth looping transition, but this was the best I could do. Before we started the project we decided that the creature needed to be the actual creature, not a look alike. After all, this is the creature from the black lagoon right? That decision instantly limited what video footage we could use for the multiball video. I must have watched the movie 20 times and this was the best clip for the job in my opinion. Believe it or not, there aren't a lot of scenes where the creature looks directly at the camera. There are a numerous scenes where he is walking towards the camera, but most of them were filmed at off angles though. We wanted the multiball video to look like the creature is attacking the player and this clip seemed to be the best option. The actual clip we used is only 2 seconds long. It took an ungodly mount of time to digitally enhance the original video clip (frame by frame) to colorize it and make it look as detailed as it is (trying to match the look and feel of the games campy artwork). We also tried to create a 100% CGI creature, but it didn't move fluidly enough in our opinion. The guys in Germany said they spent many hours just to make a 3D model of the creature. How much time do you think it takes to make a video of the creature that is composed of over 70 frames (starting with black and white images)?

I knew that some folks would like the video and others wouldn't. The funny thing about art is that it's all subjective. That is why we decided to give you guys the ability to load your own MB video and creature flash image. This enables the purest to make their own version of the hologram or allows folks to do what ever they want to personalize their machine.

#175 11 years ago

I would love to add this to my machine. My hologram is toast, but I'm going to have to wait till I think I can make the videos I want to see, or someone else does something like this...

First letter: the creature swims across the screen off in the distance.
He gets closer while swimming in the opposite direction with each letter until the final multiball image.

I always thought of the playfield window as a look into the lagoon. The Creature is underwater, so to me, any images with him standing in trees or with the moon in the background just don't work.

What you have done is awesome. This is a great starting point. It will only get better. Thanks for doing this.

#176 11 years ago

I love a lot of things in this mod.

Love the attract mode and love the 4 letters, still images.

The only thing I don't like is the moving creature image ( multi-ball ). I much prefer the original hologram image.

Would it ever be an option to use the original image?

#177 11 years ago

Very nice mod
How can we order this, when finished? And are you also shipping to europe? I would love to take one without the screen

#178 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

I would love to add this to my machine. My hologram is toast, but I'm going to have to wait till I think I can make the videos I want to see, or someone else does something like this...
First letter: the creature swims across the screen off in the distance.
He gets closer while swimming in the opposite direction with each letter until the final multiball image.
I always thought of the playfield window as a look into the lagoon. The Creature is underwater, so to me, any images with him standing in trees or with the moon in the background just don't work.
What you have done is awesome. This is a great starting point. It will only get better. Thanks for doing this.

Everyone has a different idea of what they want to see, so it's impossible to make stylized art that everyone will like. This is why we are building the MOD with 2 options: (1) our design and (2) a mode that emulates the functionality of the original hologram. Because art is subjective we decided to give you guys the ability to load your own custom multiball video and creature image for the FILM letters. A lot of time goes into programing and video editing, so it isn't practical for us to customize each individual MOD (that would cost a fortune). Giving you the ability to do your own thing just makes the most sense and makes the MOD 100% customizable.

#179 11 years ago
Quoted from McFlyBravo:

Very nice mod
How can we order this, when finished? And are you also shipping to europe? I would love to take one without the screen

I posted a separate thread to cover pre-ordering (probably should have just posted the info here as well). The first run will consist of 20 to 50 units. Based on demand the second run may be larger. Email me directly at [email protected] if you want one of our MODs. Please make sure the subject of the email says something about the creature (I get a ton of junk email). Once the PCBs are ready I'll contact people in the order I received emails, so first come first serve. No deposits required and you aren't obligated to buy until you send us a check. Once you pay we'll ship the MOD. We are shooting for a $300 price tag not including the TV. Hope this info helps.

#180 11 years ago

Email sent.
Can't wait.

#181 11 years ago

Never, before now, has a mod made me want to re-purchase a pin. Well done!! I love it.

#182 11 years ago

My bad for not realizing you built in emulation of the original hologram.

#183 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

My bad for not realizing you built in emulation of the original hologram.

No worries. The Pinsiders spoke and we listened.

I know a lot of people are purest and we wanted to provide a solution for them as well. Plus, we knew that some people would ultimately want to play around and see what videos they could make (that's part of the fun). In the next YouTube video we'll talk about how the MOD was designed, how the interface board works, future update plans (additional videos etc.), and how our system can be used to emulate the original hologram's functionality. We're using an SD card for the CPU's hard drive. We'll partition the SD card, so you can have access to a folder where your video/images can be stored. You'll just have to name them what we tell you and ensure the file sizes aren't too large (we'll get into the details later). We are also working on developing a custom .exe video editor utility that will rotate, re-size, and place the black bezel around your videos so they are positioned correctly on the TV. This way you can take any video file you want and use it for the MB video.

#184 11 years ago

This is looking pretty good, can I go on the list please.

Ta

#185 11 years ago

This looks fantastic. Wish I had a Creature to put it in. This is one of those cool mods that makes me want to go buy a game that I didn't really feel strongly about before. Nice work.

#186 11 years ago

email sent great mod

#187 11 years ago

Sent my email. Excited about it.

2 weeks later
#188 11 years ago

Is it going to be possible to tie a film clip to the start of the Mega Menu mode?

I'd really like to tie this clip to that mode: http://www.filmack.com/qttrailers/hi-classiclobbyA.htm

#189 11 years ago

We might be able to do that

3 weeks later
#190 11 years ago

It’s been a few weeks since the latest update, so here you go:

Boards:

As you know, we have been diligently working with GLM to produce our interface boards. Thanks to Tony’s input we were able to modify/improve our original design, producing a more robust power circuit for the final product. We have spent the last few weeks rigorously testing the newly designed power circuit and its effects (both short and long term) on the game’s powder driver board. The circuit design is now 100% complete. Tony is currently working on the PCB layout, which should be finished up within another week. Then we will be ready to have the boards manufactured. Our system (interface board and CPU) will replace the game’s original mirror motor triac board, mounting to the left inside of the cabinet where the current triac board is located. This makes the MOD’s system hardware more accessible, easier to install, and 100% plug and play.

Licensing and Additional MOD features:

Many folks have inquired about both. Regarding licensing issues, we have been working with Planetary from the beginning. We are currently working on a deal that will secure the rights to display the original hologram in addition to other various game specific artwork features on our LCD system. As I mention previously, our design utilizes a jumper pin that when removed the MOD will function like the original hologram (playing a separated video during MB and flashing different images when “FILM” letters are awarded). In addition, we are working on securing the rights to use several other clips from the actual movie at various times during game play. I don’t want to get into specifics regarding additional MOD features at this time, let’s just say our programmer has taken advantage of the extra time he’s been given while the board design was being finalized.

I’ll post another progress update in a few weeks.

#191 11 years ago

sounds great!

#192 11 years ago

I cannot wait! Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.

#193 11 years ago
Quoted from dfmassi:

I cannot wait! Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress.

No problem, I know the boards have taken a little more time than originally expected. On the brighter side this just gives us more time to add additional features. I think the new video stuff will make the wait worthwhile.

1 week later
#195 11 years ago

Oups. double post.

#196 11 years ago

I really like what's going on with these mods, and I'm sure there must be difficulties & limitations to what I am saying, so please don't take this as a negative comment but the creech in the original hologram has a very detailed and distinctive looking face and the one in the video looks like maybe his brother or cousin from a different father. I guess I've been looking at the old one for so many years that I have his face clearly imprinted on my brain, anyway keep up the good work.

#197 11 years ago

Love this MikeD. Thanks for the hard work. Any chance that there will be a game at MGC with this mod on display? I would liek to see it in person.

#198 11 years ago

I think you may have just sold me on this mod. Looks great.

#199 11 years ago

I'm sold too... Creech was my first machine and it'll be last to go (which I hope never happens).

#200 11 years ago
Quoted from NYP:

I really like what's going on with these mods, and I'm sure there must be difficulties & limitations to what I am saying, so please don't take this as a negative comment but the creech in the original hologram has a very detailed and distinctive looking face and the one in the video looks like maybe his brother or cousin from a different father. I guess I've been looking at the old one for so many years that I have his face clearly imprinted on my brain, anyway keep up the good work.

The funny thing is that the hologram is the real deviation from the actual creature. All of our custom graphics are based on the original movie character. Either way you get both options

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

€ 24.00
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 27.95
$ 45.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 503 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 11.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-hologram-mod/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.