(Topic ID: 18103)

Creature From the Black Lagoon vs.Tales from the Crypt?

By Acampero

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

toppers_002.jpg
tales.jpg
100_0033.JPG
100_0032.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrwizzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Looks like I hit a nerve .
I was just basing my opinion of Creech from the one I've played multiple times. Visually, it is a beautiful game. It's got lots of modes, throwback/tips of the hat to the 50's, great music, and some rewarding shots. Maybe the one I played on was "set up wrong" or something, because seriously dude, I played that game for a WHILE - and I had to nearly just let the ball go through the flippers. I'm not saying I'm some grand master of pinball - hardly - but the Creech I played was seriously just a push-over.
Yes, I am - full of AWESOME !

oh I bet you are. games that are chosen for PAPA championship bouts are usually pushovers.

Acampero:

I have never played TFTC, so I cannot comment on it. Regarding CFTBL, it is simple but the most difficult of pins. it will improve your skills more than any other, but you have to be able to embrace a game that most often ends with your forehead on the glass.

If someone has the skills that tame this game, it would become boring I guess due to its simplicity, but it would be an extremely elite player.

Dan

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

You mean Pinside isn't the see-all, know-all D: ? Something on the Internet is wrong D: ?
/end tongue-in-cheek

The two rankings are not analogous. Each is meant for a different purpose.

Quoted from NPO:

Careful..... you'll be next...

No, he is talking about one shot on the game versus your proclamation of how great you are. Plus, I thought you were moving on. Obviously not.

Dan

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

The full of awesome comment was my way of "dropping it" and not sweating the small stuff .
My moving on comment is my way of saying "We could argue about this all day, and it's obvious we will not see eye to eye." so I "moved on". You know, when you realize you're going for a pyrrhic victory, and you think "nah...better off just letting this one go..." - that's what I was doing - no need to keep arguing over something that we are not going to agree on, so I let it go.
I never said I was going to stop posting in this thread altogether .
If you want to continue the personal attacks though, please feel free to PM me.
I'm going to guess you missed my posts about how I admitted I was wrong and that the machine I played on must have been setup wrong because you are still beating me over my head with the comments I originally made, even after I admitted that I must be wrong. Here, I quoted my own comment:

If you still don't want to let it go and keep attacking me for my comments, just PM me about it please.
Life is Good

NPO:

I would like to offer you some good honest constructive advice. If what you have experienced in your mind is "attacks", then you need to recognize the possibility of how thin-skinned you might be and take extra care not to post anything than can open yourself to being called on it.

Life is good, and those here calling you out on hyperbole are actually helping you maintain it that way here on the board.

Not against you.

Dan

#74 11 years ago

You rang, Mr. Addams.

AB,

You have a much more extensive collection than I and probably a wider experience with different pins as well. Much of your assessment is personal. I would argue with a couple points though.

The width of the flippers is maddening, but it forces me to be very cognizant of my choices. I cannot tell you how many times I have lost the ball trying to nudge from one flipper over to the next after an inlane entry. No longer an option.

I think it is kind of cool to need to reset one's approach to each game. Going from my AFM to CFTBL means I have to take a breath and recall where I am.

I really like the animations and think they are very well done and clever. The theme, art and music is almost a perfect representation of the culture at the time.

Keeping in mind the theme, the KISS animation is appropriate and ties in very well with the video mode and the slam tilt, which I think is fantastic. It may be a bit innocent for your taste as it is for a lot of guys.

I am unsure, but there may be a harder setting for the M.

It does seem to me to feel a bit unfinished, but only with the suggestion of the awards from the inlanes. I have been unable to discover what "star combo" does or was meant to do. I wonder why no one has ever written a home rom completing some of the missing features like was done for WH20.

Overall, it takes no prisoners and gives me a 100% honest assessment of where my game and head are at when I play it.

Nice collection BTW.

You may just be a bit cranky now that hockey is over. I know I am!

Dan

Quoted from Atomicboy:

haha, just waiting for Mr. Wizzo now
I appreciate that people like this machine, and my point has been rehashed many times, but hay, someone asked, and it's my opinion.
I don't mind drainers, I have pinbot and DW for example and love them, but the flipper spacing on this machine is too wide as well. The reason I care about this is solely based on the fact that it screws your slap saves up, as the timing you develop is timed perfectly for it to hit the tip of one flipper than the other, and when doing that on creature, I find the ball hits just under the tip of the second flipper, and you have to alter your speed when doing this. That of course screws me up for the next machine, and is another reason why I hated this machine, as I use that technique a lot.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

For me, CFTBL is the worst machine ever made. It looks good, and I like the theme(s), but the play, animations, and everything else about it rubs me the wrong way. If you could turn off the kiss animations, and do a more with the rules, I might have kept the one I briefly had. The M for example, that shot is always lit... might as well be a GI light. Trudeau should have always let someone else refine the rules, as this game could have been so much more.
Never played TFTC, but I would take a Williams Millionaire over this turd. I have never had another machine I wanted out faster.

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

MrWizzo,
Fair enough, and I do appreciate your advice. Your response was constructive, and I will keep that in mind for future reference.
Life is Good !

Thanks for receiving it in the spirit intended. No need you have to learn the hard way like I had to.

Dan

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

MrWizzo said:
Keeping in mind the theme, the KISS animation is appropriate and ties in very well with the video mode and the slam tilt, which I think is fantastic. It may be a bit innocent for your taste as it is for a lot of guys

It's not that, it's that there is a fairly long (for a single shot) animation for each of the four, and you have to watch it over and over and over again. If there was an option at least to press both buttons to skip, but it's like that show where you see the same commerical each break, it drives me crazy.

As for colletions, thanks - we appear to have a lot of the same tastes in machines, other than this one. I 180'd on T2, thinking after my first it was too unbalanced and easy to loving the new one I have, so who knows!

At least you're not at my throat this time

Something like the home rom in CV would do that as the highwire animations bug me the same way. With Creech, if you make the four shots in a row, it becomes a mini-feature. But I see your point.

Nice on the T2 change of heart. I wish I had one. I think it is a great game.

AB, serious question since I don't recall the episode you mention. Was it warranted, or do I owe you an apology? Was I passionate or pejorative? Seems like today is my day for eating crow, so better strike while the iron is hot!

(DOH?)Dan

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I probably came out too strong on the subject, and you rebutted. I wasn't exactly nice on CFTBL after it left. As you're a hockey fan, we'll call our CFTBL debate a healthy rivalry (I'm a Wings fan).
If a home rom did change some stuff, I would probably come around on it. I love the look of it as a whole.
On a side note, I wish there was an easy way to alter game roms. The customization would be the greatest mod out there for any machine. For example, I would love to add a condition of completing modes in TAF, TZ and other mode games, such as in RBION, to get to the wizard mode.
Maybe one day.

Sounds like the exchange was a pair of minors. I spent some time last night searching pinside but couldn't find it. From what you wrote above, it does seem that you were really disappointed in the game, not just that you didn't like it. Sorry that happened. It really is a keeper for me. If you ever get into the DC area, look me up.

Not a Wings fan, but I respect the franchise tremendously. It is a real class act, and I love the whole octopus thing! I got some satisfaction with the Flyers West winning the cup. Great for Gagne, Williams, Carter and Richards. Hextall is in upper management there too. Brind'amour won the cup in Carolina after the Flyers traded him. Still mad over that. A true Flyer and major fan favorite breaks his leg, and Clark ships him out of town. Classless move.

Dan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 64.00
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 27.95
$ 18.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mrwizzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-vstales-from-the-crypt?tu=mrwizzo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.