(Topic ID: 18103)

Creature From the Black Lagoon vs.Tales from the Crypt?

By Acampero

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

toppers_002.jpg
tales.jpg
100_0033.JPG
100_0032.JPG
There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago
Quoted from aberdeentp:

for those that complained about the art on TFTC, get the altnerate tranlsite as it is fantastic, just perfect, John Hansen sells these. And leds were no problem in TFTC, looks great and even found this extra topper (it's on before I changed out translites)

Woah that translite is badass!

#52 11 years ago

Re: NewPinOwner

Quote: CFTBL feels like pinball with training wheels on. I have played it; I practically had to FORCE myself to lose the ball.

Wow. So i'm guessing that you have got multiple super jackpots on CFTBL then? I have found that pretty tough going and I have owned the machine for about 12 years, imo its a true players game, whats your top score? A few billion?

And as of TfTC, its a cool game, great art package although it feels a but clunky its one of my favourite DE games, you should check out this video

http://pinball.org/videos/gameplay-videos/tales-from-the-crypt/

He didn't find obtaining the wizard mode too hard, took a grand total of about 8 minutes.

Quote: NewPinOwner - Obtaining the wizard mode known as Cryptjam is a very tough task I've heard. Closest I've come is getting about 6 out of 12 modes lit up.

Cheers

#53 11 years ago

$2800 is high, especially of you have to pay shipping on top of that. Unless it is a HUO pin. You should be able to get a nice example for 2K or less.

#54 11 years ago

Just found out the dealer I found in Arizona just got rid of a TFTC about 2 months ago before I started looking. I guess I am still on the hunt but believe he wanted around $2,500 or more based on complete clean, new rubbers, and LED's. Since it is my first machine I probably would have done it had I started looking sooner.

Post edited by Jackontherocks : misspelling

#55 11 years ago
Quoted from ThePostmaster:

$2800 is high, especially of you have to pay shipping on top of that. Unless it is a HUO pin. You should be able to get a nice example for 2K or less.

Agreed. If you're going over $2k, something isn't right unless it's HUO/CQ. A good solid, well taken care of machine should run $1600ish. My price check thread pretty much validates that as alot of people confirmed what Postmaster and I are stating:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/price-check-on-tales-from-the-crypt

That was 2 months ago, but I think it's been made clear TFTC is no A-List title so you shouldn't have to worry about these 2 month old price checks being too out of date .

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

To answer the OP's original question - which was "what game is the best bang for the buck", then I'd vote TFTC just because it's a lot of game but can be had for 'less bucks'. I also agree with other posts, that the hologram potentially going black is a huge concern over time. Once that happens, I'd have to say that the game loses a good deal of luster. Just look at what CFTBL machines sell for with a holo that's turned blue, or is black. They're easily $1000 less than one with a good holo goes for. Any way, just my $.02. Let us know what you decide!

jk nailed it, they are both great fun but for the money TFTC gets my vote. I had a hard time getting into my TFTC when I first got it but it gets better with time. CFTBL is fun but I think the price it brings puts it out for me.

#57 11 years ago
Quoted from jk2171:

To answer the OP's original question - which was "what game is the best bang for the buck", then I'd vote TFTC just because it's a lot of game but can be had for 'less bucks'. I

Silly me, why didn't we just reference this earlier ?

http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

TFTC = #18
Creech = #40

That would have made things a bit easier .

#59 11 years ago

Because it's meaningless.

IPDB:

TFTC = #57
Creech = #18

Quoted from NPO:

Silly me, why didn't we just reference this earlier ?

http://pinside.com/pinball/top-100/bangforbuck

TFTC = #18
Creech = #40

#60 11 years ago

You mean Pinside isn't the see-all, know-all D: ? Something on the Internet is wrong D: ?

/end tongue-in-cheek

#61 11 years ago

''I heard Lyman Sheets also tears up CFTBL.''

When you write the rules for a ton of pins, it's not too hard to imagine. He knows what scores where and exploits a pins weakness.

I've only played a CFTBL on location. It's a fun game, but I found one shot that was super easy if you keep hitting it over and over again, and that was k-i-s-s. Extra ball galore. or maybe it was just how the settings were on this one?

#62 11 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I've only played a CFTBL on location. It's a fun game, but I found one shot that was super easy if you keep hitting it over and over again, and that was k-i-s-s. Extra ball galore. or maybe it was just how the settings were on this one?

Careful..... you'll be next...

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Because it's meaningless.

That is not the top 100 list, it is the bank for buck list. You are comparing the IPDB top 100 to the bank for buck list.

Top 100 IPDB
CFTBL #18
TFTC #57

Pinside
CFTBL # 17
TFTC #53

If Pinside Top 100 means nothing then IPDB is just as bad. They look about the same to me. When you look at the Pinside "Bang for your buck list" that NewPin showed you can see that is when TFTC is #18 and CFTBL is #40. The bang/buck list considers the rating and price. Johnny Mnemonic is #1 on that list. It is just another fun way to look at the pins.

#64 11 years ago

I've owned a CFTBL for about 8 months now and it used to frustrate me to no end and I hated it, but something strange happened last week. After watching Bowen Kerrins video I gave it another chance and I've been playing it non-stop ever since. It sure is a difficult game. The gap between the flippers is big so you really have to concentrate on making shots. But when you finally do make the super jackpot with 4x multiplier it is really satisfying. And somehow the non-pinhead guests also like it.

#66 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

You mean Pinside isn't the see-all, know-all D: ? Something on the Internet is wrong D: ?
/end tongue-in-cheek

The two rankings are not analogous. Each is meant for a different purpose.

Quoted from NPO:

Careful..... you'll be next...

No, he is talking about one shot on the game versus your proclamation of how great you are. Plus, I thought you were moving on. Obviously not.

Dan

#67 11 years ago

CFTBL,Signed Bally/Williams Snob

#68 11 years ago

For me, CFTBL is the worst machine ever made. It looks good, and I like the theme(s), but the play, animations, and everything else about it rubs me the wrong way. If you could turn off the kiss animations, and do a more with the rules, I might have kept the one I briefly had. The M for example, that shot is always lit... might as well be a GI light. Trudeau should have always let someone else refine the rules, as this game could have been so much more.

Never played TFTC, but I would take a Williams Millionaire over this turd. I have never had another machine I wanted out faster.

#69 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

For me, CFTBL is the worst machine ever made. It looks good, and I like the theme(s), but the play, animations, and everything else about it rubs me the wrong way. If you could turn off the kiss animations, and do a more with the rules, I might have kept the one I briefly had. The M for example, that shot is always lit... might as well be a GI light. Trudeau should have always let someone else refine the rules, as this game could have been so much more.

Never played TFTC, but I would take a Williams Millionaire over this turd. I have never had another machine I wanted out faster.

I knew you were coming...what took so long

#70 11 years ago
Quoted from DougPiranha:

I knew you were coming...what took so long

haha, just waiting for Mr. Wizzo now

I appreciate that people like this machine, and my point has been rehashed many times, but hay, someone asked, and it's my opinion.

I don't mind drainers, I have pinbot and DW for example and love them, but the flipper spacing on this machine is too wide as well. The reason I care about this is solely based on the fact that it screws your slap saves up, as the timing you develop is timed perfectly for it to hit the tip of one flipper than the other, and when doing that on creature, I find the ball hits just under the tip of the second flipper, and you have to alter your speed when doing this. That of course screws me up for the next machine, and is another reason why I hated this machine, as I use that technique a lot.

#71 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

No, he is talking about one shot on the game versus your proclamation of how great you are. Plus, I thought you were moving on. Obviously not.
Dan

The full of awesome comment was my way of "dropping it" and not sweating the small stuff .

My moving on comment is my way of saying "We could argue about this all day, and it's obvious we will not see eye to eye." so I "moved on". You know, when you realize you're going for a pyrrhic victory, and you think "nah...better off just letting this one go..." - that's what I was doing - no need to keep arguing over something that we are not going to agree on, so I let it go.

I never said I was going to stop posting in this thread altogether .

If you want to continue the personal attacks though, please feel free to PM me.

I'm going to guess you missed my posts about how I admitted I was wrong and that the machine I played on must have been setup wrong because you are still beating me over my head with the comments I originally made, even after I admitted that I must be wrong. Here, I quoted my own comment:

Quoted from NPO:

I am just flat-out saying that the Creech I play simply was not a challenge. I do not know why it was that way; it just was. My ball times were insanely long, and I honestly just let the ball go after a while. I didn't mean to make it personal or insult anyone; I was sharing my experience. I didn't ask the owner how it was setup or why it was "so easy"; I was just under the impression that is how the game is.

Same here, apparently, the Creech I played was WAY rigged to make ball times long. I didn't know...

If you still don't want to let it go and keep attacking me for my comments, just PM me about it please.

Life is Good

#72 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

The full of awesome comment was my way of "dropping it" and not sweating the small stuff .
My moving on comment is my way of saying "We could argue about this all day, and it's obvious we will not see eye to eye." so I "moved on". You know, when you realize you're going for a pyrrhic victory, and you think "nah...better off just letting this one go..." - that's what I was doing - no need to keep arguing over something that we are not going to agree on, so I let it go.
I never said I was going to stop posting in this thread altogether .
If you want to continue the personal attacks though, please feel free to PM me.
I'm going to guess you missed my posts about how I admitted I was wrong and that the machine I played on must have been setup wrong because you are still beating me over my head with the comments I originally made, even after I admitted that I must be wrong. Here, I quoted my own comment:

If you still don't want to let it go and keep attacking me for my comments, just PM me about it please.
Life is Good

NPO:

I would like to offer you some good honest constructive advice. If what you have experienced in your mind is "attacks", then you need to recognize the possibility of how thin-skinned you might be and take extra care not to post anything than can open yourself to being called on it.

Life is good, and those here calling you out on hyperbole are actually helping you maintain it that way here on the board.

Not against you.

Dan

#73 11 years ago

MrWizzo,

Fair enough, and I do appreciate your advice. Your response was constructive, and I will keep that in mind for future reference.

Life is Good !

#74 11 years ago

You rang, Mr. Addams.

AB,

You have a much more extensive collection than I and probably a wider experience with different pins as well. Much of your assessment is personal. I would argue with a couple points though.

The width of the flippers is maddening, but it forces me to be very cognizant of my choices. I cannot tell you how many times I have lost the ball trying to nudge from one flipper over to the next after an inlane entry. No longer an option.

I think it is kind of cool to need to reset one's approach to each game. Going from my AFM to CFTBL means I have to take a breath and recall where I am.

I really like the animations and think they are very well done and clever. The theme, art and music is almost a perfect representation of the culture at the time.

Keeping in mind the theme, the KISS animation is appropriate and ties in very well with the video mode and the slam tilt, which I think is fantastic. It may be a bit innocent for your taste as it is for a lot of guys.

I am unsure, but there may be a harder setting for the M.

It does seem to me to feel a bit unfinished, but only with the suggestion of the awards from the inlanes. I have been unable to discover what "star combo" does or was meant to do. I wonder why no one has ever written a home rom completing some of the missing features like was done for WH20.

Overall, it takes no prisoners and gives me a 100% honest assessment of where my game and head are at when I play it.

Nice collection BTW.

You may just be a bit cranky now that hockey is over. I know I am!

Dan

Quoted from Atomicboy:

haha, just waiting for Mr. Wizzo now
I appreciate that people like this machine, and my point has been rehashed many times, but hay, someone asked, and it's my opinion.
I don't mind drainers, I have pinbot and DW for example and love them, but the flipper spacing on this machine is too wide as well. The reason I care about this is solely based on the fact that it screws your slap saves up, as the timing you develop is timed perfectly for it to hit the tip of one flipper than the other, and when doing that on creature, I find the ball hits just under the tip of the second flipper, and you have to alter your speed when doing this. That of course screws me up for the next machine, and is another reason why I hated this machine, as I use that technique a lot.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

MrWizzo,
Fair enough, and I do appreciate your advice. Your response was constructive, and I will keep that in mind for future reference.
Life is Good !

Thanks for receiving it in the spirit intended. No need you have to learn the hard way like I had to.

Dan

#76 11 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

''I heard Lyman Sheets also tears up CFTBL.''
When you write the rules for a ton of pins, it's not too hard to imagine. He knows what scores where and exploits a pins weakness.

It was probably the settings. After the first extra ball from KISS, it takes a while the next time. If I had to recommend one shot to hit over and over, it would be right through the middle. You can score a crapload of points playing Move Your Car multiple times. Plus once you get the bonus multiplier to 10x, you score a few million every subsequent time you spell out the top lanes. However, it's more fun and rewarding if you try for jackpots and super jackpots after maxing out the creature bowl. I think it's a fantastic game. I have 37 games set up and playing; CFTBL was my first and still one of the games I play the most. There's more than meets the eye with that machine and it is much more complicated than most players know. Mainly, because most players aren't trying to do everything you can do on it.

#77 11 years ago

To me, Chreech is the total package!!! It was my first, and will be my last!!

#78 11 years ago
Quoted from PINBELL:

To me, Chreech is the total package!!! It was my first, and will be my last!!

I can say the same. +1!!! +1, and +1.

#79 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

The width of the flippers is maddening, but it forces me to be very cognizant of my choices. I cannot tell you how many times I have lost the ball trying to nudge from one flipper over to the next after an inlane entry. No longer an option.

I don't mind harder stuff per say, it's just the slap save issue I spoke of, that really bothered me. The timing was completely off from every other game I have played.

Quoted from MrWizzo:

Keeping in mind the theme, the KISS animation is appropriate and ties in very well with the video mode and the slam tilt, which I think is fantastic. It may be a bit innocent for your taste as it is for a lot of guys

It's not that, it's that there is a fairly long (for a single shot) animation for each of the four, and you have to watch it over and over and over again. If there was an option at least to press both buttons to skip, but it's like that show where you see the same commerical each break, it drives me crazy.

As for colletions, thanks - we appear to have a lot of the same tastes in machines, other than this one. I 180'd on T2, thinking after my first it was too unbalanced and easy to loving the new one I have, so who knows!

At least you're not at my throat this time

#80 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

For me, CFTBL is the worst machine ever made. It looks good, and I like the theme(s), but the play, animations, and everything else about it rubs me the wrong way. If you could turn off the kiss animations, and do a more with the rules, I might have kept the one I briefly had.

Sliiiiide over, baby!

Really? My opinion is the exact opposite, I love how everything comes together in that pin--the sounds, animations, and art work are such a unique departure from the straightforward and traditional method of theming pins. The rules are simple, yes, but it's all about building up to that super jackpot. Think about all of the steps necessary to get there: 1) four kiss shots, 2) light all four center targets, 3) light all four lanes in the pop bumpers, 4) shot to the right, 5)lock a ball/start multiball, 6)find the girl, 7)rescue girl,build the multiplier (at least 10 shots to the ramp), 9) hit the snackbar for jackpot, 10) 25 bumper hits, 11) snackbar for super jackpot. A lot of things have to fall into place to get a good score, and everything can come crashing down in a heartbeat.

#81 11 years ago

PINBELL said:

"To me, Chreech is the total package!!! It was my first, and will be my last!!"

I can say the same. +1!!! +1, and +1.

+1 from me

#82 11 years ago

Lots of love here for Creech. Very passionate owners.

I want both!

#83 11 years ago
Quoted from Acampero:

Lots of love here for Creech. Very passionate owners.
I want both!

I'm passionate for Creech, but I do own TFTC too. I like them both, but I play CFTBL 20x more than TFTC.

#84 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

MrWizzo said:
Keeping in mind the theme, the KISS animation is appropriate and ties in very well with the video mode and the slam tilt, which I think is fantastic. It may be a bit innocent for your taste as it is for a lot of guys

It's not that, it's that there is a fairly long (for a single shot) animation for each of the four, and you have to watch it over and over and over again. If there was an option at least to press both buttons to skip, but it's like that show where you see the same commerical each break, it drives me crazy.

As for colletions, thanks - we appear to have a lot of the same tastes in machines, other than this one. I 180'd on T2, thinking after my first it was too unbalanced and easy to loving the new one I have, so who knows!

At least you're not at my throat this time

Something like the home rom in CV would do that as the highwire animations bug me the same way. With Creech, if you make the four shots in a row, it becomes a mini-feature. But I see your point.

Nice on the T2 change of heart. I wish I had one. I think it is a great game.

AB, serious question since I don't recall the episode you mention. Was it warranted, or do I owe you an apology? Was I passionate or pejorative? Seems like today is my day for eating crow, so better strike while the iron is hot!

(DOH?)Dan

#85 11 years ago
Quoted from MrWizzo:

AB, serious question since I don't recall the episode you mention. Was it warranted, or do I owe you an apology? Was I passionate or pejorative? Seems like today is my day for eating crow, so better strike while the iron is hot!

I probably came out too strong on the subject, and you rebutted. I wasn't exactly nice on CFTBL after it left. As you're a hockey fan, we'll call our CFTBL debate a healthy rivalry (I'm a Wings fan).

If a home rom did change some stuff, I would probably come around on it. I love the look of it as a whole.

On a side note, I wish there was an easy way to alter game roms. The customization would be the greatest mod out there for any machine. For example, I would love to add a condition of completing modes in TAF, TZ and other mode games, such as in RBION, to get to the wizard mode.

Maybe one day.

#86 11 years ago

Here's the thing about Creech. A dirty game under 6.5 degrees is a sluggish piece of crap. Up it to 6.5 - 7 degrees, clean it up, put a coat of wax on it and you have an incredibly fun, addictive speed demon. The game play is a little choppy, but not TZ choppy. The game is a little shallow, but not BSD shallow. Theme, art, must are all 9s or higher for me.

TFTC is fun, I've played it a few times so I'm not very familiar with it.

#87 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I probably came out too strong on the subject, and you rebutted. I wasn't exactly nice on CFTBL after it left. As you're a hockey fan, we'll call our CFTBL debate a healthy rivalry (I'm a Wings fan).
If a home rom did change some stuff, I would probably come around on it. I love the look of it as a whole.
On a side note, I wish there was an easy way to alter game roms. The customization would be the greatest mod out there for any machine. For example, I would love to add a condition of completing modes in TAF, TZ and other mode games, such as in RBION, to get to the wizard mode.
Maybe one day.

Sounds like the exchange was a pair of minors. I spent some time last night searching pinside but couldn't find it. From what you wrote above, it does seem that you were really disappointed in the game, not just that you didn't like it. Sorry that happened. It really is a keeper for me. If you ever get into the DC area, look me up.

Not a Wings fan, but I respect the franchise tremendously. It is a real class act, and I love the whole octopus thing! I got some satisfaction with the Flyers West winning the cup. Great for Gagne, Williams, Carter and Richards. Hextall is in upper management there too. Brind'amour won the cup in Carolina after the Flyers traded him. Still mad over that. A true Flyer and major fan favorite breaks his leg, and Clark ships him out of town. Classless move.

Dan

#88 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Maybe one day.

Go PENGUINS! Made it to Game 4 in Pit the year we won.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 18.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.00
$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-vstales-from-the-crypt/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.