View topic image gallery

file2-2 (resized).jpeg
file1-6 (resized).jpeg
file1-7 (resized).jpeg
file-56 (resized).jpeg
CFTBL box (resized).png
4550fd4ccbf4e6f74a53c0a5436303bb24d1e67b.jpeg (resized).jpg
4550fd4ccbf4e6f74a53c0a5436303bb24d1e67b.jpeg (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wamonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I have had this listed in a couple sub-forums on CFTBL - but since the mod has garnered a lot of interest I decided to create its own stand alone post.

The mod is a cheap replacement for a dark / blue / damaged hologram.

The mod is DIY - but I can refer to Etsy for a guy who can make the art for you and provide all the LED strips to make the mod quick and easy. Art if your own choice and can be changed to anything you want. But, we have figured out the right size of the acrylic, the cuts to make it fit best, and how to mount it.

The kit is a good temp fix or permanent replacement without removing your existing hologram - meaning you can always go back at any time should you feel the urge.

Here is the original post -

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hologram-mod-for-creature-from-pinballsp-is-under-development/page/19#postbox

The mod has evolved and got a little better - so I have created an install guide and more tips from a few beta versions, but it is pretty easy and fast to install, should take less than an hour.

Others have done the mod and posted on it as well.

4550fd4ccbf4e6f74a53c0a5436303bb24d1e67b.jpeg (resized).jpg4550fd4ccbf4e6f74a53c0a5436303bb24d1e67b.jpeg (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

INSTALLATION GUIDE
To replace aging, blue, damaged, or darkened holograms on the Creature from the Black Lagoon pinball in cooperation with Benjamin from Otto Automation on Etsy – we created a CFTBL LED acrylic art replacement designed to fit over the original hologram without permanently modifying your machine.

Ben’s store link on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/OttoAutomation?ref=custom_order_convo
Exact mod link: https://www.etsy.com/OttoAutomation/listing/673111279/led-edge-lit-engraving-retrofit-for?utm_source=Copy&utm_medium=ListingManager&utm_campaign=Share&utm_term=so.lmsm&share_time=1546883633331

1) ORDER YOUR KIT from Ben @ Otto Automation on Etsy (link listed prior) and this mod will be complete with all you need to update your hologram.
• If you want to go this alone – create your art image on a 10” WIDE X 8” HIGH, 3/16” thick clear acrylic sheet.
• Notch your 4 corners like the diagram below – about 2” x 2” angles on the top of the sheet and 1”x1” squares at the bottom corners. The notches will allow it to clear lights under the playfield and the lower squares place it over the hologram mounts while still holding it in place. The picture below shows the art over the original hologram, placed in the machine.

2) Prep your hologram – if you purchased the complete kit it will come with a 12-volt Green LED strip / mounting channel and approx..3’ of wire to hook up to the hologram light on the back of the lower cabinet.

• Secure the LED strip to the top of acrylic art – you will need extra tape to secure it to the art.

3) Remove your existing hologram mount from the machine.

4) Recommended – place a piece of black felt over your original hologram to prevent damage and to not interfere with the image when lit. Black paper or any black cloth would work as well.

5) Place the felt / hologram with the art facing up (see picture above) on the hologram mount and reattach it in place – (helps to have someone hold the mount at this time).

6) Once the hologram mount and the new acrylic piece is seated in place – run your wires from the LED strip to the lower cabinet hologram light. See picture –

• Recommend that you run the wire along wire clamps under the playfield to not catch when raising or lowering your playfield.

7) Attach the BLACK wire to the outside tab of the light assembly and attach the RED wire of the LED strip to the rear post of the light assembly.
• The kit includes alligator clips and can be simply clipped the tabs, you can also solder them in place.

• The bulb is a 12-volt bulb – so you MUST use a 12-volt LED light strip and it is best to not use any RGB light strips unless you can lock it to a single color. Again, the kit makes these choices for you and I recommend the kit for that reason.

• For soldering or creating a plug you can remove the light assembly – the alligator clips are the easiest – just plug and go (picture above is soldered connection).

Before your start up your game – it is recommended you unplug the Molex connectors off the hologram motor and the mirror motor then remove the hologram light bulb (keep the bulb and label it as it is not a standard bulb) – (pictures attached).
• These two motors will no longer be needed as the LED will simply light up when commanded in game play.
• By removing the bulb, you will not reflect off the mirror or lessen the image of the new acrylic art.
• By only disconnecting the 2 plugs and removing the bulb, should you ever want to revert the game back to the original hologram you simply remove the art, install the bulb, and hook the plugs back up and it will be original.

9) Test your mod
• Go to the test menu – under TESTS – HOLOGRAM – your acrylic mod should light up and be placed properly in the window.
• A small tip may be to use Gorilla tape (black) to blackout any LED over-lighting or to hold the mod in place on the felt, not always necessary but depending on your install it may help.

10) Enjoy the mod – you now have a suitable replacement for the super expensive and largely unobtainable original hologram.
Again – I highly recommend seeing Ben @ Otto Automation on Etsy for the whole kit it is simple and affordable and this mod should maybe take an hour to install. You will be happy with the result!

https://www.etsy.com/OttoAutomation/listing/673111279/led-edge-lit-engraving-retrofit-for?utm_source=Copy&utm_medium=ListingManager&utm_campaign=Share&utm_term=so.lmsm&share_time=1546883633331

4550fd4ccbf4e6f74a53c0a5436303bb24d1e67b.jpeg (resized).jpg4550fd4ccbf4e6f74a53c0a5436303bb24d1e67b.jpeg (resized).jpgCFTBL box (resized).pngCFTBL box (resized).pngfile-56 (resized).jpegfile-56 (resized).jpegfile1-6 (resized).jpegfile1-6 (resized).jpegfile1-7 (resized).jpegfile1-7 (resized).jpegfile2-2 (resized).jpegfile2-2 (resized).jpeg
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Could you make a screen for my Sexy Girl ?? I did the entire conversion
But no screen

Never even heard of that game until your post, I think the whole point would be to see the naked girls not led lit nude girls.

That is pretty rare game...

1 year later
#10 4 years ago
Quoted from maglar:

Man, I am always too late. Is there any chance these will become available again? I just got a creature and I need one.

They are available on Etsy - I handed it off to him, I sold my CFTBL, but he is selling the whole kit.

I will PM you the link...

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from maglar:

Man, I am always too late. Is there any chance these will become available again? I just got a creature and I need one.

Sorry don't have my machine but works just like the creature except the picture is different super bright looks cool as a cheap alternative.

#12 4 years ago

Looks like the guy who made them moved from Etsy to Amazon

I found him - I would think he would still make them on demand....he is not listing the product but I found him easy to work with since it was custom made and kind of a test by me. I would think you can just email him and ask for one.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from wamonkey:

They are available on Etsy - I handed it off to him, I sold my CFTBL, but he is selling the whole kit.
I will PM you the link...

Guy who made them moved to Amazon

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
7,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Coalinga, CA
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 27.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wamonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-hologram-replacement-?tu=wamonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.