To replace aging, blue, damaged, or darkened holograms on the Creature from the Black Lagoon pinball in cooperation with Benjamin from Otto Automation on Etsy – we created a CFTBL LED acrylic art replacement designed to fit over the original hologram without permanently modifying your machine.
Ben’s store link on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/shop/OttoAutomation?ref=custom_order_convo
Exact mod link: https://www.etsy.com/OttoAutomation/listing/673111279/led-edge-lit-engraving-retrofit-for?utm_source=Copy&utm_medium=ListingManager&utm_campaign=Share&utm_term=so.lmsm&share_time=1546883633331
1) ORDER YOUR KIT from Ben @ Otto Automation on Etsy (link listed prior) and this mod will be complete with all you need to update your hologram.
• If you want to go this alone – create your art image on a 10” WIDE X 8” HIGH, 3/16” thick clear acrylic sheet.
• Notch your 4 corners like the diagram below – about 2” x 2” angles on the top of the sheet and 1”x1” squares at the bottom corners. The notches will allow it to clear lights under the playfield and the lower squares place it over the hologram mounts while still holding it in place. The picture below shows the art over the original hologram, placed in the machine.
2) Prep your hologram – if you purchased the complete kit it will come with a 12-volt Green LED strip / mounting channel and approx..3’ of wire to hook up to the hologram light on the back of the lower cabinet.
• Secure the LED strip to the top of acrylic art – you will need extra tape to secure it to the art.
3) Remove your existing hologram mount from the machine.
4) Recommended – place a piece of black felt over your original hologram to prevent damage and to not interfere with the image when lit. Black paper or any black cloth would work as well.
5) Place the felt / hologram with the art facing up (see picture above) on the hologram mount and reattach it in place – (helps to have someone hold the mount at this time).
6) Once the hologram mount and the new acrylic piece is seated in place – run your wires from the LED strip to the lower cabinet hologram light. See picture –
• Recommend that you run the wire along wire clamps under the playfield to not catch when raising or lowering your playfield.
7) Attach the BLACK wire to the outside tab of the light assembly and attach the RED wire of the LED strip to the rear post of the light assembly.
• The kit includes alligator clips and can be simply clipped the tabs, you can also solder them in place.
• The bulb is a 12-volt bulb – so you MUST use a 12-volt LED light strip and it is best to not use any RGB light strips unless you can lock it to a single color. Again, the kit makes these choices for you and I recommend the kit for that reason.
• For soldering or creating a plug you can remove the light assembly – the alligator clips are the easiest – just plug and go (picture above is soldered connection).
Before your start up your game – it is recommended you unplug the Molex connectors off the hologram motor and the mirror motor then remove the hologram light bulb (keep the bulb and label it as it is not a standard bulb) – (pictures attached).
• These two motors will no longer be needed as the LED will simply light up when commanded in game play.
• By removing the bulb, you will not reflect off the mirror or lessen the image of the new acrylic art.
• By only disconnecting the 2 plugs and removing the bulb, should you ever want to revert the game back to the original hologram you simply remove the art, install the bulb, and hook the plugs back up and it will be original.
9) Test your mod
• Go to the test menu – under TESTS – HOLOGRAM – your acrylic mod should light up and be placed properly in the window.
• A small tip may be to use Gorilla tape (black) to blackout any LED over-lighting or to hold the mod in place on the felt, not always necessary but depending on your install it may help.
10) Enjoy the mod – you now have a suitable replacement for the super expensive and largely unobtainable original hologram.
Again – I highly recommend seeing Ben @ Otto Automation on Etsy for the whole kit it is simple and affordable and this mod should maybe take an hour to install. You will be happy with the result!
https://www.etsy.com/OttoAutomation/listing/673111279/led-edge-lit-engraving-retrofit-for?utm_source=Copy&utm_medium=ListingManager&utm_campaign=Share&utm_term=so.lmsm&share_time=15468836333314550fd4ccbf4e6f74a53c0a5436303bb24d1e67b.jpeg (resized).jpgCFTBL box (resized).pngfile-56 (resized).jpegfile1-6 (resized).jpegfile1-7 (resized).jpegfile2-2 (resized).jpeg