Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by MrWizzo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

I like to play a little pin in the morning to get my brain working. Been focused solely on my new CFTBL for the past week, but since I did a few quick repairs and maintenance items to my Whitewater last night, I woke up to it this morning.

As I was leaving the gameroom, I glanced back to make sure the shutters on the windows were closed, and it caught the corner of my eye. Creature beckoned me to come. I hadn't attained that elusive 1 B score in my first two weeks of ownership, and it had become my white whale.

In that split second I had to decide between the potential of the repeated frustration of failure or the rapt joy of having what at that point could be that seemingly ever-unattainable complete game. I could not resist the Creature's siren call, and I powerlessly allowed myself to be drawn over to the rocks once again.

Well, Zounds! Creature rewarded my waning devotion as if to keep me on yo-yo string spinning up and down, up and down. I got to the B mark scoring 1.105 B. The jackpot awarded 187 M, and the super jackpot awarded 398 M. I am back in its spell!

But as I am in the midst of the second search for the Creature and the girl, I shoot a ball up the left ramp, and as it is proceeding toward the whirlpool bowl, its compatriot in arms decides to go AWOL leaving the sole survivor abandoned in the bowl.

I decided to take advantage of the circumstances and see what I can do with some gentle nudging. Around and around and around she goes...you know the rest. When the ball finally drops, 93 complete point-scoring revolutions in the bowl had been accomplished.

Not a bad way to start the day.

#2 12 years ago

I wish that I had more time to play pinball before work in the morning.

#3 12 years ago

Did you have to slide the game for that or is just bumping it left and right enough?
I never keep the multiball alive long enough to complete 'CREATURE'.
I've gotten the super jackpot a few times but without the multiplier it wasn't super high.
My popbumpers don't work too good so it's hard to get to the super jackpot. Sometimes the balls roll through the popbumpers without setting them off once.

#4 12 years ago

I've never gotten multiball on creature >.>

Hated it every time I played it - couldn't get anywhere, and the playfield layout seemed really awkward.

#5 12 years ago

I never understood Creature until I watched one of the PAPA tournament videos, now I'm addicted! It's all about the setup. You gotta play everything just right but if you can get to that 3x or 4x Super Jackpot the payoff is HUGE! That one shot can be worth 500M points easily.

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

Sometimes the balls roll through the popbumpers without setting them off once.

We had a CFTBL in a Tournament recently that was like that. Jealous about being able to play "Creature" in the morning. I use to have a place to go to play it. They took it out and put a punching bag game in it's place!

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from Marten:

Did you have to slide the game for that or is just bumping it left and right enough?
I never keep the multiball alive long enough to complete 'CREATURE'.
I've gotten the super jackpot a few times but without the multiplier it wasn't super high.
My popbumpers don't work too good so it's hard to get to the super jackpot. Sometimes the balls roll through the popbumpers without setting them off once.

Not a lot of force. Nudge as the ball is going up the right side. I posted a thread entitled "leveling creature bowl tweaking" or something like that in that last week or so. It gives very explicit instructions on how to level the bowl to get this kind of responsiveness. It is complete with pictures. This buys you time while the ball is in the bowl to complete tasks and increase the multiplier.

It took me a lot of games before the strategy on how to arrange shots became clear. I try to put the plunged ball into the rollover lanes and the first ball from the VUK into the KISS lane. If I make that shot, my next ball goes to the left ramp buying time for the snack bar or slide shot. I try to make sure my first of any pair of shots goes into the whirlpool to buy time. With it level, once you can get the hang of it, you can increase the multiplier to multiple levels on one shot.

Several times I got so focused on the CREATURE letters that I missed the ball rolling down my right flipper from the VUK into the outhole! Hate it when that happens.

Some shots roll right through on my game too. Especially the "A" lane. There is a special tool to adjust switch contacts which makes it easier to close the gap on them. Also you can clean the contacts by placing a non-slick business card between the contacts. Pressing them closed and pulling out the card. This will remove dirt on the contacts. You may need to do it several times.

You are right. the bumpers are important, but work on each task until they are second nature. Practice focusing on putting the first of two shots up the left ramp whenever two balls are available. Then shoot the search arrows and the rescue. Build the jackpot value. You are in training until you get the bumber switches more responsive and are ready to kick the game in the butt!

So, level the bowl, adjust the bumper switches and practice the snackbar (backhand also) and leftramp shots. You'll get there.

#8 12 years ago

I've been studying the popbumpers today as I want to put led's in them and also make them more
reactive. I've noticed that the switches are quite close already and that I probably shouldn't try
to bend them any closer. But still pushing on the skirts doesn't easily activate them. I'm not sure
what to do next. Thanks for the playing tips though.

#9 12 years ago

Sometimes the stick on the bottom of the skirt is worn and needs replacing. Unfortunately, you have to completely rebuild the bumpers to replace the skirts.

#10 12 years ago

Herg's right, and they are such an important part of the game, it would be worth going through the trouble.

#11 12 years ago

I've already got all the parts lying around for a rebuild so I guess that's what I'll try when I get
a full day to work on it. It's quite time consuming to get to them with all the ramps that hang over them. I can combine the rebuild with the led mod and save some time.

#12 12 years ago

You might find when you take them apart that the some of the screws holding the bodies to the playfield have gotten loose. This can cause the spring to not sit properly. I found this when I shopped my MM. On one bumper, the skirt would close the switch on three sides but not the fourth. Also, check the alignment of the switch layers under the playfield making sure the center of the little white cup is in the correct position and that all the screws are tight.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

€ 24.00
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creature-comfort-or-lost-in-the-bowl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.