9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by L_satan
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I have done some tag-art stencils for theatrical productions and art installations in the past, but now I wish to turn my hand toward cabinet stencil restoration, for the skill and fun of it. I think sheets of acetate would work best for this execution--has anyone else done this?
    I'm curious if anyone might know where I could find 2' x 4' sheets of acetate.
    Thoughts?
    Experiences?

Thanks!
    Z.

#2 9 years ago

They used to be made of thin metal when the factory did them.

That's how you get that cool "under spray" effect around the edges.

#3 9 years ago

I made stencils a while back from something similar to acetate, it was actually film used transparent blueprints. Kind of similar to xray film, I got mine used from a civil engineering firm. Stencils came out great, and a nice benefit of them being transparent was that after the first color was dry, it was easier to line up the stencils for the second color. They can be re-used too, I cleaned the paint off after I was done, and gave them away on RGP.

#4 9 years ago

Just a bump...I'd love to do them out of metal, but...I'll try the acetate and do any "under-spray" effect with alternative materials.

7 months later
    #5 9 years ago
    #6 9 years ago

That is a very good price for Lexan, thank you! I'd love to use acetate, because I can cut it easily with an exacto or mat knife.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from L_satan:

That is a very good price for Lexan

Actually I was concerned about it's thickness and cutting it.

#8 9 years ago

I have access to scanning equipment and a large CNC machine, so it is possible. But looking at price, at $30 per sheet with shipping, I'm already at $120, without the front or head. More cost effective to buy them online.
    Needing ten pieces, I'd need to find them for $6 a piece to make it cost effective, when the work of tracing and cutting would not be included.

#10 9 years ago

vid1900, you are awesome as usual!
    Thank you!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creating-cabinet-stencils and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.