Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Chisox
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

03712E18-0845-4304-927F-0AC172125BF0 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chickenscratch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hey Pinsiders!

Been in love with pinball since forever, now almost 40, and finally have the space for 4-5 machines in the barcade we are renovating at the new house.

Had my first ever pin delivered last week, a NIB MBRe SE which the family/me is loving, and just put full payment down for a NIB Jurassic Park Premium as I hear it’s great, love JP movies, and my wife and one child are HUGE dino fans.

Also put a deposit down for Mando Premium, as it too looks unique/fun, wife and all children LOVE “Baby Yoda” and it’s yet a seemingly excellent addition to a small collection.

This is where I’m stuck due to ownership and even relative player inexperience, still learning all the industry terms, etc. I want to ensure I’m creating a well-rounded collection where each machine is different enough from the others layout/play-wise.

I understand MB is a fan layout with a bit of (what is it called, pause and shoot, due to the toy bash shots)? Not sure what JP is considered, more of a pure shooters layout, or (side action?) due to the 3rd flipper with many shots? Absolutely no idea on Mando. Would be interested to learn what these two pins are considered, and how well all 3 compliment each other (or don’t).

Which brings me to my big question, what sort of pf style/layout am I missing and what are some good pins in those missing categories to round everything out? Do I need to go flow, like a ToM (which I love), or do I round out the collection with something old school and unforgiving like Pinbot, which would definitely be a cool nostalgia kick.

Any help/recommendations appreciated - cheers!

#9 2 years ago

Very cool, thank you all for the replies, gives me some ideas. I definitely want to go for a quality used machine for the 4th, just so I can dip my toes into maintenance/repair and enjoy some older pins. I’ve been in IT for 20 years and know my way around an iron, and don’t mind tinkering (though at this age I just like stuff to work lol), so an older pin should be a good fit and may help prepare me for eventually servicing my NIB pins.

Some of my favs and on wishlist are TZ, TOM, TOTAN, Junkyard, Funhouse, Pinbot, MM, STTNG, TFTC, AFM, etc. and I see most of those mentioned, which is great. Though half of these I’ve only ever played virtually, but which still gives me an idea. I have yet to try The Shadow, Black Knight, IJ, TSSP or TMNT but think I’d quite enjoy any of those five. Also not opposed to something newer like Deadpool, as I hear it’s great (never played) but it may be a bit too close to the other 3, being modern Stern, and I am really liking the idea of an older classic. Unfortunately I live in a town of 2000 in the middle of nowhere, so getting out to play machines on route is a pretty seldom occurrence, and may span years between plays.

Will keep my pinside alerts going - thanks all!

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

You’ve been on Pinside for 6 years and these are your FIRST games??
    That’s probably the longest anyone has gone not owning pinball on a pinball forum!

Ya... took a bit to get to this point LOL

Had a spot for one machine at a previous house, but life ended up taking a turn when I asked for a divorce. Then met my current wife and downsized for a number of years (divorce is expensive), and now have what the kids call a mansion (it's not, but it's 4000 sqft) and finally room for a handful of machines.

I'll take my Award of Patience and Dedication now

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

You are throwing down alot of cash on games you haven't played. I would REALLY recommend playing as many games as you can and just buying the ones you have the most fun with, as opposed to trying to build some perfect diverse line up. At the end of the day, it is going to be mainly you (and your family) playing these games 95% of the time - I would focus way more on just getting games that YOU have the most fun with, as opposed to trying to check a bunch of collection boxes. If you love flow and games like ToM, focus on games like that...sure you won't have a "well rounded" collection, but you'll have one that YOU love.

I get it, and if I were near a large city I'd 100% do this, but just not an option where I live. Thankfully I'm super easy to please and can find something to enjoy in everything; honestly never played a pin I didn't enjoy. At worst, it'll be boring and I'll make it fun, it'll be a drain machine and it'll make me better at nudging, it'll have tight shots and I'll become a better shooter, etc. So not too worried about buying unplayed machines, and makes the unboxing/first-plays super fun. I only played MB via virtual pinball, so I had some idea, but was SUPER cool playing it on a real machine when unboxing last week. For the next two pins on order, I haven't even watched a single video (well I accidentalled a Mando video, but didn't really pay attention and instead listened to the "first impressions" voice-over audio). In the end, on most facets of life, I just do some solid due diligence, smack in some reasoning-within-the-details, mix a bunch of opinions from others, look at the designers, etc. and pull the trigger of success.

As for rounding out a collection, I would state while your opinion on types is more than valid, I'd strongly disagree on getting "similar/you-enjoy games." I'd much rather have variety, be tossed outside of my comfort zone, play new challenges I didn't know existed, etc. I'm certainly putting "games I know/think I'd enjoy" as 80% of the weight in the formula, but I'm going to use the other 20% to nudge towards something that is further away in design from pins I'd already own, even if it means replacing a solid favorite that may score a few points higher on its own, if it's too close to a game I'd already own. Which was kind of the point of this thread, perhaps just asked oppositely: what "good" machines should I avoid as a 4th/5th machine because they'd be much too similar to the 3 I already/am-soon-to own?

Cheers - and thank you to all who took the time to comment, some really awesome/at-length replies!

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from sammiesguys:

As others have said, I would take my time before buying another game. Play the ones you’ve already bought a ton of times. That will get you a feel for the the style of game you like.
    Then play as many others as much as possible before you commit to another purchase. Then you’ll have a better idea of what you want.
    Patience is the key. Luckily you’ve got a solid collection of games to start. That’ll keep you busy for an awful long time.

Oh for sure - this 4th one isn't coming anytime soon (well, I mean it could, the right pin in the right condition at the right price ) Just thought it may be helpful to start a thread where I could find out, and not after the fact, that "oh shoot, I'm a dope, this 4th pin I just bought IS really similar in design/layout to this pin I already own). But, I think this thread did it's job, and I'll be holding out for a good classic 80's/90's pin that I've at least played virtually before, or one where I can read between the lines and pretty confidently know I'd enjoy/appreciate. Honestly, if I could, I'd perhaps go super well rounded and just put in air hockey or skeeball for the family, but I'd be way too nervous of pucks/balls flying into pin cabinets, and there's really no room for something like these two machines other than next to the pins. So a 4th/5th pin it is, and I'm not complaining lol

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

Great choice on the MB for theme and walk up playability for family and guests. You know where you stand with the dino factor so that's wise there too.

Thank you! Other than really enjoying MB myself (virtually) as I'm a huge rock/metal/concert fan (mosh pit is my favorite mode because of the growling ), I had read many times, many places, that it was a fantastic walk-up family/newbie-friendly machine, which really sealed the deal. My son has a dino-themed room, and I'm positive my wife would have one too if she had less common sense... I swear she geeks out about dinosaurs more than the kid, which makes me giggle and love that old-soul child-at-heart even more.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Cantabkiwi:

I would say a spooky game like tna or rick n Morty.
    Been thinking the same with my lineup.
    Settled on
    Tna, Tron, Ironman, Rick n Morty, woz, tz, black knight 2000.
    Room for another and deciding on what has got harder. Mandalorian was just buy it from my partner.....she never says that!

I hear ya! Doh, forgot about Tron, loved the movie remake and hear it’s a fantastic pin as well. Same here with Mando… it was an instant “get it” and then she ran to tell all the kids. Though it helps that I bring home all the bread, am the one who does the finances (I couldn’t pay her to do them if I tried) and she has no idea what a pin costs (nor would she care) lmao

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Do you like Iron Maiden music?

I mean, it’s a little before my time and that style of metal is a bit too light for me, though I did in some sense enjoy their latest album. So I wouldn’t say I’m an IM fan per se, but I’d certainly easily digest the music. I’m much more familiar with MET discography so perhaps would enjoy that a bit more, and my wife is a Metallica fan. Hmm… honestly didn’t consider either before, even though I know they are both considered great pins, so makes me think - thanks!

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

Monster bash is a short liver for me.
    Jp is a really good game. I have not played mando.
    I would go in different directions and companies for two additional.
    Suggestion: get a hobbit and a total nuclear annihilation.
    Two games on the totally different sides of the spectrum, but both are great fun games.

Awesome, will check them out! Not really a modern Hobbit fan; the movie just didn’t sit well with me for some reason, but I know many who look over theme for great gameplay. Now if they would have based Hobbit off the old ‘77 cartoon-movie, I’d be all over it!

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from joecitizen:

You'd be all over a Ralph Bakshi "Lord of the Rings" design but Iron Maiden is a little before your time?
    Just joshin' ya. Incidentally, I've been on here almost 10 years, lurking even longer - and only just got my first game last Autumn. Current count is 3 with Mando Premium on the way later this year. Sometimes the money comes along later in life than you think it will, even if the desire for pins was always there.
    I have a lineup that makes almost everyone in the family happy. Kids can't get enough Deadpool - it's their main game. I have the pin that first really grabbed me - AFM, as well as a shooter to grow with - JP3. The kids are getting more and more interested in that one as well. Only one who isn't roped in like the rest of us is the missus, and she needs a theme she likes to get going so that's why Mando is on the way.

LOL! I realized the irony in my statements when typing them out but went meh

Damn - I’m going to have to give back my award now! Congrats on nabbing that first pin and adding more to the collection.

I hear you on finances/life; when it all fits, it comes together into some beautiful pins though!

I’m not going to lie, while I think an older SS would be perfect for rounding out the collection, it may be tough to pass up on a good Deadpool if it comes around; I hear too many good things.

My wife yesterday goes, after discussing the approach-fullness of MB, going JP with her love of dinos and Mando with the child: “so this is how you rope me into pinball, eh” and I couldn’t fully disagree!

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Richard-NBA-SF2:

Cool collection so far!! Maybe whatever CGC does next you may like?

Thanks!! Oh man oh man, if CGC does a TOM remake next, well… there’s my next pin, no question!

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

I was thinking the same too - IMDN would be a great fit in his lineup.

How close is IMDN in design to JP? I’ve read that JP is largely a refined IMDN, but obviously there would be differences. It wasn’t on my radar and never looked over the playfield, but definitely will now!

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Slugmeister:

I might of missed it but where are you located.Somebody may have just what you are looking for locally

SW Minnesota, but in all honesty, a shipping company wrapping it all up and delivering to me for $3-500 sounds a lot easier than local DIY! Could just be ignorance talking though.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from kklank:

So you have one machine and two on the way. Correct?
    MB is a fun game.
    All three games have longer ball times.
    I’d love to recommend something older but it sounds like your attraction is Wiiliams and Stern.
    With that said, I’d grab an Iron Man or Tron for fast brutal ball times and easy to learn rulesets since you like Williams a lot. Also a great compliment to what you have.
    The other suggestion would be a Getaway or Johnny Mnemonic, both simply for speed and flow. Also easy on the wallet.
    Happy hunting.

Correct! JP will be here next week and Mando whenever.

Thanks for the recs, that kind of analysis is exactly what I was looking for! Tron is on the wishlist so I may need to look more thoroughly into that pin.

If you were to rec something older and non-williams, what are you thinking?

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from dq13:

Funny you mentioned ToM and Pinbot. This is my entire collection and all I will ever need at home. I would recommend Pinbot if you had to pick one, for reasons you mentioned. It exudes everything an 80s childhood was
    [quoted image]

Ya, I was second in line to a nice Pinbot days ago but the first guy put full money down and that was that. Pinbot would be great, definitely a strong contender. I think after discussions with my wife today on how we want to organize things in the Barcade, that I’ll have room for 5 pins, which is perfect, as it would allow me to get both Pinbot and ToM

If a good condition Pinbot comes along, think I’m jumping on it, the 5th I’ll wait for a ToM Remake or be convinced on another pin, which could be anything from Junkyard to Deadpool. The joy and difficulty of having room for 5… but in all honesty, forgoing the TV in the Barcade and going all pins was my wife’s idea, so that’s 4 more pins than I was planning on having, and just having 1 makes me VERY happy, let alone the 2 that are coming (JP ships tomorrow!)

#53 2 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

I would pick up a nice RBION, personally.
    I kid I kid.
    ToM remake has to be a couple years away and you can still get them for less than the MSRP will be.
    Update that JP with the movie code.

Ya I’ll keep it stock for a while and then likely give it a try. Opinion seems pretty 50/50 on movie code; I get the argument that hearing the same movie lines over and over could get old or “ruin the movies” but it’s gotta be better than “fake accent voice actors;” I don’t think I’d mind the movie code but will give stock its chance. Is it simple enough to switch back and forth (i.e you can find the stock code for download)?

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from isJ:

I would pick up a nice RBION, personally.
    I kid I kid.
    ToM remake has to be a couple years away and you can still get them for less than the MSRP will be.
    Update that JP with the movie code.

I just realized who I was replying to… og replied and then saw the cities and re-read the acronym and… wait a minute

#57 2 years ago

Whelp, found the 4th pin to round out the collection and will leave spot #5 open for some time, since that will be the final slot.

So my figuring is:

MBr gives me smooth flow with fan layout, approachable to family/newbies

JP2 gives me stop and go shooter, deep rules and very challenging

Mando is a mix of flow/S&G and is again accessible to the family, easy MB, while giving them a deeper rule set if they so choose to explore

So I figured what I needed was fast and brutal, something to kick my ass over and over while sticking with a simpler rule set.

And that pin is…

BKSOR Premium with topper

Absolutely love the theme, music, brutal pacing, etc. and should be a perfect compliment to the others. Actually going to be my first pinside transaction as I’m working to get this one lined up: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/115223

2nd place contender was IMDN; was tough decision, but ultimately wanted to go with a different designer in collection since I have Elwin with JP, and something even more adrenaline fueled (and with shorter games).

The 5th slot will likely go for something completely different, like a future JJP once they come out with a theme I like.

Very excited for a Ritchie, Gomez, Elwin, Eddy lineup!

#68 2 years ago
    Quoted from Chisox:

He said he was looking for a fun, fast, shallow game to mix it up. I like the choice OP, especially with the topper. IMDN would be a great game to target down the road, it’s awesome.

Haha ya if I’m honest it’s already a contender for #5 but will stick to holding out on that slot, but I’m nearly positive it’ll find its way into the lineup at some point. My wife actually tried to lightly convince me to get WOZ yesterday for #5 as I said I would likely want something very different like a JJP, though I do believe I’d rather wait and see what the next pin theme is (Toy Story?).

So many good pins, so little space! I’m going to be set for a long time/forever though with these 4, especially when I was more than thrilled to have 1. But… money is there, life is short and my wife would rather I get 4/5 than 1 for symmetry/cool barcade purposes (interior designer).

She finally asked today “so what do these things cost” to which I replied with an “oh $6-10K each” and her response “but oh so worth it ” What a babe! I love seeing her randomly walk up to MBr at times and give it a try. It frustrates her, she really sucks, but I encourage along the way, give the “git gud” line, show her some tips and tell her she’s doing great. She’s super excited for Mandalorian, loves toppers (I had to buy a topper for all more that I have the BKSOR topper coming), loves all the mod options, and I think just really likes the art/concept of it all, how it bonds family/friends, ties into the room, etc. and I do believe she wants to get good. I hope she does!

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

Idea... find some other pinbuddies in your town. Swap games for a month or 2. I've done that many times. I've sold my some of my games to others who have traded, and bought new titles bcuz of their 1-2 month loaners.

Ya, great idea, but town of 2000; pretty dang sure I’m the only one with pins in town, and we are surrounded by towns of 500 and 50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chickenscratch.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/creating-a-small-well-rounded-huo-collection?tu=chickenscratch and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.