(Topic ID: 193534)

Createx - Formula Change? 4030 Additive

By quinntopia

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5537 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5535 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I hope this is the right sub-form to post this.

As I was trouble-shooting some issues with my playfield restoration, I noticed something on a bottle of Createx Opaque Yellow that I didn't notice before:

First, the labels are different. No big deal. But on the back side of the bottle with the horizontal logo there is a new recommendation:

"For use on hard surfaces, plastic and vinyl, mix with 4030 Mix Additive 10-30% per vol."

That is NOT on my other label (older labels?).

I have had issues with Createx not really adhering or hardening the way it should. I assumed this might be improper heat-setting. That may still be an issue and something I'm practicing, but this "4030 Mix Additive" isn't something I noticed before.

Did Createx change its formula on these new bottles (the products shown on Createx's website all have the horizontal logo with which has the 4030 recommendation, so I assume this is the 'new bottle')? Would the lack of 4030 on my playfield be part of the reason my paint wasn't adhering or hardening like I expected? Do I have too much time on my hands too worry about this stuff?

Anyone tried this 4030 Mix Additive? I ordered some and will be using it on my next go at air-brushing.

IMG_5535 (resized).jpgIMG_5535 (resized).jpg
    IMG_5537 (resized).jpgIMG_5537 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I think the 4030 additive is something new. May not have to heat set the Createx opaque with this additive. I found their tech support very helpful and quick to respond.

#3 6 years ago

Interestingly I have run across this paint -- http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/premium-rc-color/family/6 -- which appears to be formulated similar to Createx + 4030 additive. Think I might have to try some!

#4 6 years ago

I'm going to try the 4030 tomorrow on some test pieces and see how it works.

Thanks for the link to the Vallejo paint. I'm actually somewhat familar with them. Some nice alternatives and new choices!

1 month later
    #5 6 years ago

I thought I would share this here. There are always a lot of questions about Createx, and I found this guide which spells it out quite clearly (from here http://www.createxcolors.com/PDFs/AppGuide_CreatexAirbrushColors.pdf ):

Createx Airbrush Colors and Wicked Colors cure best when paint is thoroughly dried prior to application of heat. Curing times are decreased when coats are allowed to air cure prior to application of next coat. Use of 5608 Illustration Base, Wicked W100 Reducer and Auto Air 4011 Flash Reducer decrease drying rates and curing times.

Do not heat cure fresh paint before it air cures for a few minutes. Premature application of heat may skin-over paint creating a latex film which peels easily when taped and otherwise lacks proper adhesion.

Createx Airbrush Colors are not cured after drying, heat is required. Wicked Colors air dry to a durable film without heat curing although use of heat does achieve optimum film strength.

Heat Gun: apply heat at a low to mid-temperature setting no more than 300°F. Keep air moving to avoid blistering. Apply heat until paint is warm to the touch.

#6 6 years ago

Here's more information on the 4030 reducer when using Createx with hard surfaces:

http://www.createxcolors.com/PDFs/2015-Hard-Surface-Guide_150014.pdf

4030 Intercoat
    • A water-soluble, polyurethane resin additive recommended for direct mixing for improved spray performance and durability.
    • Mix 10% per volume (9)
    • Pot Life: 6 hours after mixing with paint
    • 4030 is not a reducer in that it does not truly lower paint’s viscosity. 4030 is a flow & leveling enhancer that creates solvent-like performance and allows paint to air dry to a more durable coating with improved adhesion over hard-to-paint surfaces.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/createx-formula-change and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.