Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cait001
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 years ago

Some of these prices make me think counterfeiting might be worthwhile.

#52 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Anyone know how often auctions like this come up?

We may not see another auction quite like this again. There may be a small hand full of collections that have
    similarity, but how many with the high quality and rare pieces as these will be up for bids all at one time..
    For a few years, some of his interesting videos made me come back, and it seemed (actually more than
    seemed) that he had a strong passion for his machines, and enjoyed showing them. I was surprised, (maybe
    closer to shocked) when I heard all his items (or very mostly) was going up for bids..
    As far as some of the almost unexplainable high prices of some of these items, it was explained to me that most
    likely not all bidders were true Pinball/Arcade collectors. All very rich (well for the most part), Oh Yes! If a person
    saw an item that very much fit in one of their massive rooms perfectly, they were bidding. $8k, 15k, not much
    difference. The White Lightning supports this well. Why would a White Lightning out bid a Deluxe Shooting
    Gallery? Because of it's playability. I can't see that. Because the colors went with the walls well. That maybe I can
    understand. Now really high end items as Midget Skee Ball, Bat-a-Score, Jet Fighter, ect., these are items that
    not very often one has a chance to acquire, and I'd say more than likely High End collectors were the last bidders on those
    pieces. The 2 Player Genco Basket and Southland Speedway, I guess that could have gone either way. They have
    appeal, and collectability, but I haven't ever heard of prices going for what they had (and others) like they had here.
    For coin op, if not worldwide, at least for around here, I'd have to think that this Auction was pretty Historic.
    Chances are, it'll be a long time (or longer) that we see another, but probably not as long as this coming morning's
    Moon. First since the 1860s, and I understand the best view will be seen from the West Coast..

#53 6 years ago

Could be over million $?

I tallied up $2.46M. That’s just over $2M before 23% buyers premium.

#54 6 years ago

BOOM!

Quoted from MikeO:

I tallied up $2.46M. That’s just over $2M before 23% buyers premium.

#55 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Lot #193: 5¢ H.C. Evans Bat-A-Score Arcade Game.
    http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=281051
    As this baseball themed arcade game was manufactured in 1948, it is in near pristine condition. The housing cabinet is superb with curved glass and has a clean interior field, containing two animated manikin baseball players- a pitcher and a batter. The player is given 10 pitches for every nickel and can receive up to 200,000 points. The objective of the game is to hit the steel ball into one of the 5 levels at the rear, the lowest level being a foul and the highest, a home run. The light up display is very active while in operation, moving the player from one base to the other. Unlike most baseball arcade games, the steel ball is not rolled but thrown overhand This game is challenging and fun but definitely requires skill. Thankfully on free-play for endless amounts of practice and amusement. Two keys are provided. This machine currently has a 1¢ coin mech. The cabinet may have had a professional restoration, but the interior looks to be in gorgeous, original condition. A holy grail title to all advanced collectors. Less than five known examples.
    Final Bid (Includes Buyers Premium): $61,500

Strange that they use the words 'cabinet may have had a professional restoration' as it is as pretty obvious straight away that it 100% has!

Quoted from spinal:

Lot #62: Rare 5¢ Gottlieb Diamond Lill Pinball Arcade Game.
    http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=281223
    Another rare game produced by Gottlieb that features the artwork of Roy Parker. Only around 700 of these pinball games were ever produced. This example is in great condition as evidenced by the vibrant back glass and playing field. Circa 1954. One key is provided.
    Final Bid (Includes Buyers Premium):$1,071

Low price for a nice original of a game that is one of the best 50's players games out there bar none.

#56 6 years ago

Lot #192: 5¢ Chicago Coin's Midget Skee Ball Arcade Machine.

http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=281106

Large gaming unit, painted in bright orange with a brilliant display that lights up as the patrons score increases. The manikin basketball player, dressed in blue, throws the balls to any of the 6 holes with points ranging from 1,000 to 10,000. The balls are hollow and automatically appear through a chrome tube. Handling grip only controls how hard the manikin basketball player throws the ball, there are no left or right movements. One of Chicago Coin's electro-mechanical machines, manufactured in 1949. Four keys are provided. Museum quality. Correction: This is a 5¢ Chicago Coin's Midget Skee Ball Arcade Machine.

Final Bid (Includes Buyers Premium): $30,750

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#57 6 years ago

Lot #10: 5¢ Supreme Bolascore Revamp Arcade Machine.

http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=281055

As there were many revamps of the H.C. Evans Ten Strike, this arcade game was remodeled in the 1940's during WWII. Player accumulates points by hitting a spoke on the rotary wheel that is motorized at the rear, instead of the traditional bowling pins. Colored in a briilliant orange with bowling theme stencils throughout and a bright light up display. The back door panel is missing. One key is provided. Extremely rare, only two known examples in existence.

Final Bid (Includes Buyers Premium): $27,675

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

some of his interesting videos made me come back

Do you have a link to any videos?

#59 6 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZQQs0p6G8-qRiDcWQq8CHA/videos

Click on above link for lots of coin-op videos.

Diamond Lill.

Gottlieb games here.

http://www.torrencecollection.com/gottlieb.html

Fire Queen sold for $550 - cheap.

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Lot #1: 10¢ Genco Two-Player Super Basketball.
    http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=281009
    This arcade machine consists of two manikin basketball players, one in red shorts and the other in white with a green jersey. The Super is one of three versions of this model produced, having a match and replay setting with up to a 16 credit win. There are 4 vertical red and green hoops, points ranging from 2-8. The top 2 hoops are worth up to 10 points. Housed in a fine wood cabinet with the base painted green and yellow. The background is a retro basketball stadium set behind an adhesive cork floor, showing some cracks to the enamel. Wear throughout. A very fun and competitive game. Circa 1954. No keys are provided.
    Final Bid (Includes Buyers Premium): $19,200

Hell If people are willing to pay 19K for that. I will gladly sell mine for a smoking hot deal at $12,000. PM me if you're interested.

#61 6 years ago

Was there a Space Glider EM Gun game in this auction? Cant find it, thought i saw it...
    Williams 1959 fyi

#62 6 years ago

This has probably already been posted, but here is the list of everything and what it sold for.

http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/AuctionResults.aspx?auctionid=313&ClosedSessionsOnly=1

#63 6 years ago

Sum for entire 939 item auction, $2,455,773.50. Some may be interested to find out about this as well... https://arcadiathemovie.com/featuring/

#64 6 years ago

Mentioned above but here are details...

Lot #8: 5¢ Sega Jumbo Arcade Machine.

http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=281071

A miniature circus contained in a glass dome, sitting atop a large square box painted with elephants throughout. The game runs extremely smooth but can be very challenging. The objective is to get the elephant to throw the ball into the mobile trapeze thus falling into one of the holes along the circumference of the dome. There are two controls- the left lever controls the side to side movement of the elephant while the right lever controls the vertical movements of the trunk that sucks up the ball. The clown is holding a light and when the light turns on, patron must throw the ball. Winner may receive a prize. Sounds of the circus is played electronically through an 8-track device. Circa 1970. Three keys are provided. Extremely rare, less than five known examples in existence.

Final Bid (Includes Buyers Premium):
    $25,830

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#65 6 years ago

The Torrence collection videos on youtube were all just stunning.

#66 6 years ago

What is the story? I remember seeing the Torrence Collection website a few years back. Was it just a guy who did restorations and is now selling off his high-end collection?

#67 6 years ago

Wonder what my Jumbo is worth.

Quoted from spinal:

Mentioned above but here are details...
    Lot #8: 5¢ Sega Jumbo Arcade Machine.
    http://auctions.morphyauctions.com/mobile/LotDetail.aspx?inventoryid=281071
    A miniature circus contained in a glass dome, sitting atop a large square box painted with elephants throughout. The game runs extremely smooth but can be very challenging. The objective is to get the elephant to throw the ball into the mobile trapeze thus falling into one of the holes along the circumference of the dome. There are two controls- the left lever controls the side to side movement of the elephant while the right lever controls the vertical movements of the trunk that sucks up the ball. The clown is holding a light and when the light turns on, patron must throw the ball. Winner may receive a prize. Sounds of the circus is played electronically through an 8-track device. Circa 1970. Three keys are provided. Extremely rare, less than five known examples in existence.
    Final Bid (Includes Buyers Premium):
    $25,830

#68 6 years ago

The guy clearly understood the timing of markets, and hit it right on at 2.5 million for his nearly 1000 item collection. With a nearly $2700 USD average per unit auction of this size, how many others can chime in and say that their collection is worth as much. I will guess few, or none.

This auction very well may spell the demise of pricing for EM type collectables unless they are rare, original or well restored, and there is a market. To create a market one has to have general interest and lots of buyers, or you have a huge collection that everyone wants a piece of due to notoriety. PHOF, VFW, PPE, TT, ... etc. are the latter. The other wanna-bees with two, or even mid to low three digit collections of unrestored or unoriginal hoarding projects are going to fare *much* worse. Aging population says these people won't bother to continue in the hoarding or restoration, and then flood the market with projects. Big money buyer's pay big prices, they often do not collect projects of low quality unless mint, original, or rare.

Your Jumbo, or other's stuff is going to go for a lot less because you won't have what the big boys want, or you don't create your own momentum when selling a one shot wonder. Try to get advertising from an auction house with a 50-100 unit auction, not likely to happen and or be effective.

#69 6 years ago

His collection was only up to Lot #400. All of the rest were from other people. None the less, a very impressive collection.

#70 6 years ago

jon is an amazing collector and alot of the pieces he sold were incredible museum quality pieces. i dont know how he finds all that stuff. i have spoken to him and he is one of the nicest most humble guys out there. if you have followed him over the years you would have seen some amazing arcade machines, slot machines, pitch and bat and a whole other type arcades you never knew that existed some really amazing engineering especially for how old some of these machines are.
    they are currently filming a show about him and his collection and should be airing very soon.

#71 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

they are currently filming a show about him and his collection and should be airing very soon.

ooooooooo!

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

and should be airing very soon.

I wouldn't mind knowing if/when a date of that showing comes up..

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

A West Coast Friend informed me on what he described as some
    bizarre prices at Jon Torrence's auction.
    Southland Engineering Speedway - 13K
    Genco 2 Player B.B. - 16K
    After a couple of hours, I'm still scratching my head over this
    one: Midway White Lightning - 9K
    Yet a near mint Midget Alley - $3,250.00
    I'm wearing down my finger nails!

Jon is a passionate collector. He began as an exotic car collector, and later developed an interest in vintage arcade games. Years ago, he traded some cool car(s) to longtime arcade collector, Rob Lahammer, for the lion's share of Rob's nice collection.

As for the Southland Speedway, one sold a few years ago at a Morphy's auction for almost $11K, including the premium, so $13K for Jon's was not a surprise. That Midget Alley was a bargain indeed. I watched it sell in real time and kicked myself for failing to bid on it.

I agree that the marketing effort elevated the gavel price to unprecedented levels on many of the items.

It is my understanding that most of the pinball machines were not Jon's. Instead, they were Shay's. They included Shay's games in the auction. At least, that's my understanding. It's been awhile since I've spoken with either Shay or Jon, so I haven't confirmed.

#74 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Years ago, he traded some cool car(s) to longtime arcade collector, Rob Lahammer, for the lion's share of Rob's nice collection.

Interesting: I knew Rob's much sports related collection moved on,
    but I never knew where it went. I thought it got separated..

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from ZNET:

Jon is a passionate collector. He began as an exotic car collector, and later developed an interest in vintage arcade games. Years ago, he traded some cool car(s) to longtime arcade collector, Rob Lahammer, for the lion's share of Rob's nice collection.
    As for the Southland Speedway, one sold a few years ago at a Morphy's auction for almost $11K, including the premium, so $13K for Jon's was not a surprise. That Midget Alley was a bargain indeed. I watched it sell in real time and kicked myself for failing to bid on it.
    I agree that the marketing effort elevated the gavel price to unprecedented levels on many of the items.
    It is my understanding that most of the pinball machines were not Jon's. Instead, they were Shay's. They included Shay's games in the auction. At least, that's my understanding. It's been awhile since I've spoken with either Shay or Jon, so I haven't confirmed.

Interesting. The Gottlieb games on this link were Jon's. I nearly bought the Hawaiian Beauty a year or two ago.

http://www.torrencecollection.com/gottlieb.html

I wondered if there was a Shay link to some of the games as the rare yellow prototype Ice Review was a game I nearly bought off Shay a few years back. There can't be too many of them around.

As for original v restored, I would always pay a premium for mint original v lovely restored but doesn't seem to be any evidence that occurred in this auction.

#76 6 years ago

I follow Jon on Facebook and always enjoy seeing his posts about his collections and he posts quite a bit about his house and various projects he has going on there... My question is, what is his story? He sure didn't make the money to collect the way he does selling insurance. He's obviously wealthy and I've never gotten a sense of inflated ego from him seeing his posts or watching his videos. He just seems to enjoy life and the fruits of his labor, whatever that may be... Just curious.

-Steve

#77 6 years ago

Commercial Real Estate.

Quoted from VDrums2112:

I follow Jon on Facebook and always enjoy seeing his posts about his collections and he posts quite a bit about his house and various projects he has going on there... My question is, what is his story? He sure didn't make the money to collect the way he does selling insurance. He's obviously wealthy and I've never gotten a sense of inflated ego from him seeing his posts or watching his videos. He just seems to enjoy life and the fruits of his labor, whatever that may be... Just curious.
    -Steve

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Commercial Real Estate.

That would do it!

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Commercial Real Estate.

And massage chairs at the mall. Smart businessman.

#80 6 years ago

Spectacular collection!
    I thought, for what they were, there were a few good deals, but some did shock me.
    I'd love to have been there.

#81 6 years ago

Interesting as pinball machines were for the most part, not the items of choice at this auction.

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Interesting as pinball machines were for the most part, not the items of choice at this auction.

The EM arcade market is a different group of collectors. The Fire Queen that is fairly coveted by pinball collectors probably stood out as too modern and lacking charm for this crowd.

#83 6 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

The EM arcade market is a different group of collectors. The Fire Queen that is fairly coveted by pinball collectors probably stood out as too modern and lacking charm for this crowd.

Hence, perfect timing. Charm (and the wherewithal to pay big bucks for it) has a finite shelf life.

#84 6 years ago

I probably would have been okay giving them $500 for that Williams 8-Ball.

1 week later
    #85 6 years ago

"Sales tax not included", which adds what? Las Vegas is 8.25%.

An ordinary consignor would not have done very well with the more common items. Sellers might get half of the monies paid by buyers, after allowing for taxes and commissions. Perhaps some of the sellers had made special arrangements with the auction house.

Just looking at the prices realized again, and can see some collecting trends. Some big bucks for rare stuff, but sellers might have done better with their common pieces at a fire hall auction venue. Ordinary slot machines are way down, maybe half of their 1980's & 1990's prices. A few woodrail pins were bid up, but many items were cheap, too cheap once you take away the hit from taxes and fees.

2 months later
    #86 5 years ago

Someone told me Jon Torrence was fired from Morphy's auctions. He was removed from their "About Us" page. I find it a surprising development considering the hammer price of those listings.

#87 5 years ago

My understanding is that Jon had requested a position as the Morphy coin op appraiser, that if approved, then Jon would shortly after, sell his collection with Morphy's. So he had that position for a couple of auctions. I'm not sure how much he really knew about pricing, although you could say fairly accurate because of the auction result, but be aware of a couple of things: Jon sold his items in a perfect storm, with 2 millionaires and some China buyers all seeking the same type of games(50s-70s EM) at the same time to fill in their collections. This had happened previously in pre 1930's arcade, with some of the same characters, and that market is now very soft as the buyers dissappear. Also, it's believed that 10% or more of the items went back to the owners or were scheduled again for a future auction. And a number of the rarest items were rumored to have been price protected. That bring said, the truly rare items of less than 10 surviving probably should command a very high price, but I would say there was a lot of common stuff in the sale that without that added competition, would have brought significantly less than realized.

#88 5 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

He just moved out near me from Clovis CA.
    I saw part of his collection at his house. Just beyond words the pieces he's got in there. He helped me work out some issues wth my Sega Jumbo.

Man, just goes to show you that you never really know who or what's in your own backyard sometimes. Opportunity missed.

#89 5 years ago
    Quoted from LarryB:

Jon sold his items in a perfect storm, with 2 millionaires and some China buyers all seeking the same type of games(50s-70s EM) at the same time to fill in their collections. This had happened previously in pre 1930's arcade, with some of the same characters, and that market is now very soft as the buyers dissappear.

This is fascinating, thanks for those details. Is there any info about these people online? Oh I would love to see a tour of their collections.

#90 5 years ago
    Quoted from Tyamry:

I was at the auction. The catalog was $50.00.

Quoted from MikeO:

So what did you buy?

Don't keep us in suspense...did you buy a catalog or not?

#91 5 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

This is fascinating, thanks for those details. Is there any info about these people online? Oh I would love to see a tour of their collections.

One of the big buyers is quite well known in collecting circles, but I'm not going to spill who.

I will add that Larry has only half the story. There was side dealing auction shenanigans. And while a number of these pieces looked good in the pics, there were some unhappy buyers.

1 year later
    #92 4 years ago

Was reviewing something in this old thread, and I just wanted to point one thing out about the craziness of auctions..
    this sold for $1280 https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/1__Pace_Mfg__Co__Whiz_Ball_Counter_Top_Arcade_Game-LOT277323.aspx
    but you can still buy it for $465 from Ed Smith http://www.esnarf.com/4283k.htm

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Was reviewing something in this old thread, and I just wanted to point one thing out about the craziness of auctions..
    this sold for $1280 https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/1__Pace_Mfg__Co__Whiz_Ball_Counter_Top_Arcade_Game-LOT277323.aspx
    but you can still buy it for $465 from Ed Smith http://www.esnarf.com/4283k.htm

Ed's is a nice reproduction. I wonder if the Morphy game is an original?

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

Ed's is a nice reproduction. I wonder if the Morphy game is an original?

Ed's is a "continued production" (as he prefers) done from the original tooling which survived a handful of manufacturer company/warehouse acquisitions over the years, plus NOS parts.

Compare the descriptions:
    Morphy: "Pace manufactured this game in 1931 and was originally made from Pace tooling which was later eliminated. Only 500 were produced."
    Ed: "A limited number of 500 machines were manufactured. After the last production run of this model was made, the tooling was destroyed."

Ed's games are great. http://www.esnarf.com/pa1.htm
    Kicking myself for not having enough cash on hand to get one of his special Oak cabinet Kicker Catchers when he visited. Those games are pretty great. Also I suck at Whiz Ball.

#95 4 years ago

I just think there were some big egos with deep pockets at the Torrence auction.

1960 Midway Shooting Gallery - Torrence auction $7380
    https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/10__Midway_s_Shooting_Gallery_Arcade_Game__-LOT281234.aspx

1960 Midway Shooting Gallery - April 14 this year in nicer condition $3600
    https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/10__Midway_s_Shooting_Gallery_Arcade_Game_-LOT458912.aspx

The nicer one sold for $3780 less!

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I just think there were some big egos with deep pockets at the Torrence auction.

Watching rich people spend their money is half the reason I'm on pinside!

There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crazy-prices-at-the-torrence-collection-auction/page/2?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.