(Topic ID: 293705)

Crazy OLED TV Price Alert - Cost of a Scalped Stern Topper ; )

By delt31

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mcluvin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

OLEDs are the best tvs period. This is the lowest I've ever seen 77 inches! $2800!

FYI if anyone is looking for one. I don't even need it but so damn tempting!

https://www.newegg.com/lg-oled-cx-77/p/16C-000P-004G6

#2 2 years ago

Dang. I thought the price was going to be $500 or so.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Dang. I thought the price was going to be $500 or so.

good point - updated to reflect scalped price!

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from delt31:

OLEDs are the best tvs period. This is the lowest I've ever seen 77 inches! $2800!
    FYI if anyone is looking for one. I don't even need it but so damn tempting!
    https://www.newegg.com/lg-oled-cx-77/p/16C-000P-004G6

Just saw it available at Costco. 77" Oled for $3070.

It caught my attention. Amazing picture.

#5 2 years ago

Nice TV. It is last years model. Unsure if Newegg is an authorized LG dealer.

#6 2 years ago

I have an older version of the LG Oled...

Picture is great but it had a few issues over the years... had to get a warranty screen replacement once when it dropped a row.

Also got some pretty bad burn in at bottom even though thats "not supposed to happen" and it was out of warranty by then. Pixel refresh doesnt fix it so I just live with it.

Hopefully they are better now.. this was an early one.

#7 2 years ago

My mother got that exact model a few months ago, and it is good deal at that price. If there is concern that Newegg is not authorized, I checked and Crutchfield is has it at $3k with a “rebate” consisting of a portable BT speaker, still a good price for a 77”.

As to the TV, the video quality is as outstanding as you hope, with the one caveat that it’s really only at its absolute best in fairly dim ambient light; the color saturation and velvet blacks are always impressive. Of course the sound quality is mostly dismal (typical of flat panel TVs), so you’ll probably want a soundbar or amp/speakers.

The (not so) “Magic” remote looks OK, but is too clever for its own good and is often a frustrating ergonomic pain in the ass to use. This is really the only negative aspect of the TV, but for some people it could be a dealbreaker. (My mom dodges the bullet by mostly using the cable remote.)

Be aware that despite improvements OLEDs remain more prone to burn-in than CRTs or plasma, so if you intend to play video games and/or watch a lot of letterboxed material you will want to pay attention to the recommendations in the owner’s manual (I personally stick with LCDs for this reason alone). Also, OLED panels have a shorter useful life span than LCDs (further diminished by use of the “pixel refresh” function to clear burn-in) so it might not be the best fit if you tend to leave the TV on continuously.

#8 2 years ago

Newegg is listed as an authorized LG dealer. Not sure if all warranty concerns have to be routed thru Newegg.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Just saw it available at Costco. 77" Oled for $3070.
    It caught my attention. Amazing picture.

No shi*! If you are thinking about it and have Costco membership, buy it from Costco (online). $100 hulu credit, extended warranty included free, 2% cash back and much longer extended warranty with Citi card, $50 off $500 coupon (if you got it). If there is a problem with delivery, they'll fix it. If you decide you don't like it or there is a problem within 90 days they will come get it. No hassles...

#10 2 years ago

Thanks Brian, That is the particular line of LG OLED’s that was the highest rated for the new PS5 and Xbox Series X because of the refresh rate and responsiveness.

#11 2 years ago

Burn in is a factor but everything great comes with a trade off. Pinballs destroy themselves, cars depreciate, great food is fattening, etc etc...

https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/a35178006/best-gaming-tvs/

#12 2 years ago

Tv is the best, and 3k is a steal.

#13 2 years ago

I’d like to add that Qled is a joke. I don’t know what Samsung were thinking.

#14 2 years ago

Be careful with Newegg. Ordered a Sony A9H OLED 18 months ago and it was used. Subsequent reshipped units were also used. Took months to sort out with PayPal and I ultimately received my money back, but it took my attorney drafting a demand letter.

Check out green toe.com. You can "offer" a reasonable price and receive an OLED from an authorized distributor.

#15 2 years ago

I have the E series of that OLED tv....it's awesome and worth every penny. QLED sounds like OLED but it's not, it's a marketing scam. OLED pixels give off light individually, they're not backlit like LED tvs.

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-e9-oled-was-one-of-lgs-best-tvs-so-where-did-it-go

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

Resting on their LCD laurels and confusing simple folks that a LCD is similar to an OLED. Same thing when LCD televisions were called "LED" tvs when competing against plasmas (which had a superior picture). Simple folks. . .

#17 2 years ago

I have the latest model. The 77” C1. Great TV. I think the extra cost is worth it over the CX if you plan on PS5 or Series X.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from Waldo:

I have the latest model. The 77” C1. Great TV. I think the extra cost is worth it over the CX if you plan on PS5 or Series X.

C1 is where it's at - been looking at the 83" just worried about burn in

#19 2 years ago

On the west coast? Run...$2200...

https://slickdeals.net/share/ipad_app/t/15059515

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

Qled is very good imo, yes oled is better is some aspects but I’d rather not have to worry about burn in. Can game away, leave static images on and never have to worry.

At the top tiers with Samsung you also get wide viewing angles with qled.

1 year later
    #21 1 year ago

LG 65C1 for ~$1200 at Amazon. You can get an extra 10% cash back if you use their CC.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WG4HKKY

#22 1 year ago

FWIW, OLED TVs are at similar prices at Costco, for those who are members. Some of the sales run through next week, others through Christmas. They have the 65" LG A2 for $1200.

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

FWIW, OLED TVs are at similar prices at Costco, for those who are members. Some of the sales run through next week, others through Christmas. They have the 65" LG A2 for $1200.

The A series is inferior to the C series. It would be nice if Costco matched on the C. Costco offers a much better warranty.

#24 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

The A series is inferior to the C series. It would be nice if Costco matched on the C. Costco offers a much better warranty.

Yes, better warranty, especially if you use their card, and better/easier return policy.

They also have C2's on sale, though of course they cost more. I didn't see any C1. I admit, I'm not big on the add-on features for the fancier options, nor a huge gamer (higher refresh rates seem to be one of the differentiating factors between A and C series). Inputs all go through the A/V receiver, so I don't need a ton of input ports on the TV itself either.

Picture quality ought to be basically the same, so it's really stuff like the "smart TV" features that drives the prices up. And while I admit I find the streaming apps convenient when they are built in, for the most part I want my TV to be as dumb as possible.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

Picture quality ought to be basically the same,

Looks like The A2 compares a lot better than the A1.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c1-oled-vs-lg-a2-oled/21421/31239?usage=1&threshold=0.10

#26 1 year ago

But 60hz really kills the A series. Even if you’re not a gamer.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from timtim:

But 60hz really kills the A series. Even if you’re not a gamer.

Why? I've been watching video/film content at 24 and 30 fps for decades. 120 hz is overkill, even for most gamers, and certainly for just regular old TV/movie watching.

#28 1 year ago

Word of advice if you play video games…. Def avoid the A model as it’s only 60hz. That 120hz call of duty is so good

This C deal is really good

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crazy-oled-tv-price-alert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.