• Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

th-4.jpeg
foil power.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Trying to LED an elektra and have to deal with these plastic f'n sockets. I buy from comet and it seems the led bases are fateer than the standard incandescent lamps. Anyone found a good way to make getting them in easier? I'm also concerned about if these are going to break with the addes pressure even after i get the LED in. I have been just rocking them back and forth and side to side

#2 9 years ago

I have had the same problem with Comet 555s. I snapped off a few sockets on lamp boards. If you can, grasp the base the socket as firmly as you can and try to rock it in. I have also found it helpful to pull the bulb contacts out a bit as this improves the chances of the bulb working. On a few sockets I had to give up and use incandescents.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from reynolds531:

I have had the same problem with Comet 555s. I snapped off a few sockets on lamp boards. If you can, grasp the base the socket as firmly as you can and try to rock it in. I have also found it helpful to pull the bulb contacts out a bit as this improves the chances of the bulb working. On a few sockets I had to give up and use incandescents.

yup I monkey with the contacts on all of them. once you get it it's usually good to go but it's challenging sometimes

#4 9 years ago

On any Bally restoration, I always change the game to #44 sockets.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Absolutely... Changed my Fathom over to 44/47's and will do the same to EBD.

#6 9 years ago

Using adhesive copper foil for the power run can save mega time over soldering all those bases.

foil power.jpgfoil power.jpg

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Using adhesive copper foil for the power run can save mega time over soldering all those bases.
foil power.jpg

You can also wrap the bare wire around the screw shaft under the cap.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I think I have heard this before. Was hoping not to dig that deep on this game. I do have a centaur though with the same thing and a cleared PF on the way. That would be worth the time. Not sure elektra is

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

Not sure elektra is

im not either .. but maybe its not worth comet led's either then ?
perhaps the problem will go away if you buy other ones

#10 9 years ago

changing 70 bucks worth of lamps in 4 hours is worth it. changing 70 bucks worth of lamps in 4 hours and 220 bucks worth of lamp sockets in 20+ hours is not.

#11 9 years ago

I like to recycle 44/47 light sockets off old playfields. Vibration tumbler works very well for light sockets... then solder the bases.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Vibration tumbler works very well for light sockets... then solder the bases.

Just don't breathe that lead dust!

Open the tumbler outside, downwind from your garden.

Rinse all your media outside too.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

i never envisioned you as a guy who goes outside Vid

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

I think I saw him sitting on the porch once.

th-4.jpegth-4.jpeg

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

We have 10 hours of night where I live.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

We have 10 hours of night where I live.

I have been meaning to make it out to pinsylvania for a while now just can't seem to find the time...

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I came into this thread just to suggest that you stated this in another thread (about moving a wire harness). I'm swapping playfields on a game myself and think I will take your advice. Thanks for the suggestion.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Is your concern that someone might tumble a socket with chunks of lead solder still on there?
-mof

#19 9 years ago

I used the PBL ones on a Bally 6300 and they seemed to fit fine. Had to flip a few to get them to work, but no issues getting them in.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Is your concern that someone might tumble a socket with chunks of lead solder still on there?
-mof

Even if there are no chunks of solder, there will be a layer of lead solder that will become dust as the abrasives of the tumbler polish it off.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
O'fallon, MO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Brooklyn, NY
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crappy-bally-555-sockets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.