View topic image gallery

elvira2.jpg
elvira1.jpg
mousin4.jpg
mousin5.jpg
mousin3.jpg
mousin1.jpg

#1 9 years ago

So...for Christmas my wife got me a book called Crap Taxidermy because she knows I like bad and old taxidermy (the work of Walter Potter, for example). In the back was a how-to taxidermy a mouse chapter. We thought we should try that. The first couple mice were failures (too small, too far, uh, gone), so we used a frozen rat from Petco.

The idea was to have the mouse (then rat) playing pinball. Of course it had to be Mousin' Around. The taxidermy part took most of a day and was far more difficult than the book made it out to be. Everything was going well until the final hour when the hide started losing it's hair and the clay mannikin we made was the wrong size. I definitely went away with a new respect for taxidermists.

I made three pins, including Elvira and Party Zone (still waiting on some "glass" for the Party Zone). The cab art actually came from low res internet pictures. The rat, once dry, was not poseable, and unfortunately I'd guesstimated wrong on height so he needed a little stool to sit on.

Anyway, here's the mouseterpiece - thought it might be fun for a Sunday.

mousin1.jpgmousin1.jpg mousin3.jpgmousin3.jpg mousin4.jpgmousin4.jpg mousin5.jpgmousin5.jpg elvira1.jpgelvira1.jpg elvira2.jpgelvira2.jpg
#2 9 years ago

This is gonna ook some people out but I just about lost my sh-- at work LMAO.

#3 9 years ago

Nice and ghoulish!

However, the mouse looks like he traded some of his cheese for crack.

#4 9 years ago

Pinball....crack.....costs about the same.

#5 9 years ago

I've tried a lot of DIY hobbies like beer brewing, making jerky, etc... I've never once thought I should try taxidermy.

#6 9 years ago

Those EATPM decals are the best shape I've ever seen.No wrinkling at all.

#7 9 years ago

You are a wierd, wierd dude.
That is awesome!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Nice and ghoulish!

I was thinking he needed a fat joint sticking out of his mouth. Maybe some little beer bottles scattered around. I could work out a crack pipe though, I bet.

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I've tried a lot of DIY hobbies like beer brewing, making jerky, etc... I've never once thought I should try taxidermy.

It was educational for sure. Sights and smells that most of us are rarely exposed to unless you butcher your own animals. I live in a town of 800 that has 3 taxidermy shops, so most people I've showed it to here don't bat an eye. They think owning pinball machines is far, far stranger than doing taxidermy in your dining room!

#9 9 years ago

I was reading my son's National Geographic "wacky facts for kids" book and it said the whole state of WY only has 2 escalators. Huh?

#10 9 years ago

Love it!
How about a cat with Bad Cats?

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I was reading my son's National Geographic "wacky facts for kids" book and it said the whole state of WY only has 2 escalators. Huh?

I racked my brain all evening trying to think of an escalator in Wyoming and I couldn't think of any. I bet there are a few out there though. 2 sounds about right.

Quoted from ryan1234:

How about a cat with Bad Cats?

Would need a much larger scale pinball machine! I was thinking I might attempt a prairie dog this summer though. We'll see.

#12 9 years ago

Lmfao !!!

#13 9 years ago

Canea,

Thank you for helping to keep pinball weird.

#14 9 years ago

Great thread! The eyes on the mouse are so big he looks super focused on the game. He must be in the middle of a multiball.

#15 9 years ago

Ive lost twice to that mouse at tourneys....

#16 9 years ago

If he's losing his hair...an Em might be right up his alley.

Ba ding

#17 9 years ago

I don't know which amuses me more. That mouse or the escalator stat.

(Which is apparently true - they're in Casper.)
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/07/the-state-of-wyoming-has-2-escalators/277891/

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from Magic_Mike:

Come on.....that's clearly a "Meth" mouse!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

Thank you for helping to keep pinball weird.

Doing my best! And hey, maybe I'll get around to rat v. 2.0 and I can bring it to Showdown. It can be the unofficial mascot, Pinball Meth Mouse(rat).

Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

I don't know which amuses me more. That mouse or the escalator stat.

Well, if there's no where to go to begin with, an escalator sure isn't going to get you there!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Well, if there's no where to go to begin with, an escalator sure isn't going to get you there!

I've driven through Wyoming a couple times. An escalator to the top of Devil's Tower would have been awesome.

Other than that though... Can't say that my night in Sheridan would have been any better with moving stairs.

#21 9 years ago

I think that mouse was in my pin league last night.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

You are a wierd, wierd dude.
That is awesome!

Have you ever seen Dinner for Schmucks?

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Have you ever seen Dinner for Schmucks?

I did. Not sure if those were real mice though. The ones I tried were tiny in comparison, even though they were adults. Beautiful dioramas in that movie though!

Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Can't say that my night in Sheridan would have been any better with moving stairs.

You just didn't get ahold of the right people!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/crap-taxidermy-vs-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.