Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Fatsquatch
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Cash_in_Hand.gif

#1 10 years ago

Guy lists a really low price on a BDK ($2500) I reply because It's a machine I would like to have & It's in my price range. I don't really expect a response due to the price and past experiences with Craigslist. I get a message back saying due to the overwhelming response he is now taking bids til noon. Then goes on to call it a $7000 game. Then why did you list it at $2500 to start? Doesn't anybody research anything before they sell?

#2 10 years ago

His for sale. He can do what he wants.

#3 10 years ago

offer him 7k and don't show up

#4 10 years ago

That does suck a weenie when that happens! I think we have all had that happen to us.

#5 10 years ago

I second Scottc's idea. One douche move deserves another.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Guy lists a really low price on a BDK ($2500) I reply because It's a machine I would like to have & It's in my price range. I don't really expect a response due to the price and past experiences with Craigslist. I get a message back saying due to the overwhelming response he is now taking bids til noon. Then goes on to call it a $7000 game. Then why did you list it at $2500 to start? Doesn't anybody research anything before they sell?

He sent me that same message last night after I was going back and forth with him. I had a pick up time @2500 and everything. I think it was fake from the get go. I'm fairly certain it was started with the intention of pissing people off.

#7 10 years ago

I was under the impression that you cannot use Craigslist to run your own auction. is that correct or am I mistaken?

#8 10 years ago

in the time frame that I corresponded with him it is very unlikely he hand an overwhelming response @ 930 pm. At best 1 or 2 guys may have offered more.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from edwinpblue:

I was under the impression that you cannot use Craigslist to run your own auction. is that correct or am I mistaken?

True, but there's ways around everything. This is one example of how to do it. I think it's crap, but it is what it is.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

He sent me that same message last night after I was going back and forth with him. I had a pick up time @2500 and everything. I think it was fake from the get go. I'm fairly certain it was started with the intention of pissing people off.

what made me think that it was a real ad was at the bottom of the email had his name address and telephone number..

#11 10 years ago

I recently took a drive with a friend to pick up a game off CL. When we got there, the seller was clearly agitated and announced, "If you don't want the game at my listed price, it's SOLD to someone else..." I suspect that if we hadn't had to drive 2 hours to his place and we weren't on the road already, whatever third party offered him more money would have gotten the game. I hate that.

The general rule of thumb on CL now appears to be, if you want a game, you have to get it quickly. If you negotiate a deal and the guy doesn't remove the ad, there are dishonorable people who will call and try to undercut you, and dishonorable sellers who will weasel out of a deal if they can make some extra bucks.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

what made me think that it was a real ad was at the bottom of the email had his name address and telephone number..

me too, but something about it didn't sit right... then I woke up to his auction response this morning.. .. the other thing is nobody is going to call a phone @ 930 pm, so it could just be a dummy phone #. I'm at work, but if anyone wants to see if it is real here's the contact info:

David Wilson
    12 Sugar Maple Lane
    Westport CT 06880
    +1 203 550 3891

#13 10 years ago

Here's my strange CL story. I guy in a neighboring town put up an ad for a very nice Black Knight for $650. I replied back to him and I'm sure 100 other people did to. Never heard a thing. About a month later I get a call from the guy out of the blue asking if I still want the Pin. He said he went through a divorce and had moved. Said he was giving me first shot at it since i was the closest. An hours later I had it in my trailer. Still shopping it out and rebuilding the flippers, but overall it is in great shape w/ a perfect backglass. Moral of the story: Don't give up on all CL ads.

Mike

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

I recently took a drive with a friend to pick up a game off CL. When we got there, the seller was clearly agitated and announced, "If you don't want the game at my listed price, it's SOLD to someone else..." I suspect that if we hadn't had to drive 2 hours to his place and we weren't on the road already, whatever third party offered him more money would have gotten the game. I hate that.
    The general rule of thumb on CL now appears to be, if you want a game, you have to get it quickly. If you negotiate a deal and the guy doesn't remove the ad, there are dishonorable people who will call and try to undercut you, and dishonorable sellers who will weasel out of a deal if they can make some extra bucks.

+1

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

in the time frame that I corresponded with him it is very unlikely he hand an overwhelming response @ 930 pm. At best 1 or 2 guys may have offered more.

I would really be ticked if I were you and had gone that far, getting a price and a pick up time..

#16 10 years ago

Bottom line on CL pinball deals these days:

- Have cash
    - A truck (already loaded with tools/blankets/straps)
    - Be ready to leave at a moments notice

Otherwise you pretty much don't stand a chance. Sad but true.

#17 10 years ago

shouldn't we all be mad at each other here. Craigslist add with good price gets posted and everyone slams the email and phone with I'll take it offers.

I would also guess that knowing there will be competition means you offer over asking price from the very first email if it's a good enough deal.

your fellow pinsider is likely your competition. I blame pinside.

#18 10 years ago

I guess we should just start putting OBO over my listed price on games? Wish I was rich and just had time to drop what I was doing at a moments notice.

#19 10 years ago
    Quoted from scottc:

Cruel but funny

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Bottom line on CL pinball deals these days:- Have cash- A truck (already loaded with tools/blankets/straps)- Be ready to leave at a moments notice

^ This

1. I don't have tons of cash laying around
    2. No truck readily available
    3. I have a job

=

No CL deals for me.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from scottc:

Yep that's the game i play then flag the ad by by game over

#22 10 years ago

Not exactly poster's example, but if a seller says someone is on their way to see it DO NOT SAY "I WILL PAY YOU MORE THAN YOU ARE ASKING". Just be a man and tip your hat and ask to call if it falls through.
    Don't be that loser who tries to throw a wrench in the deal!

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Not exactly poster's example, but if a seller says someone is on their way to see it DO NOT SAY "I WILL PAY YOU MORE THAN YOU ARE ASKING". Just be a man and tip your hat and ask to call if it falls through.

Maybe 30 percent of guys would hold the wrench and the other 70% are throwing hard just to get the deal........I have been in that situation, with a 400 dollar FT down the road, and was on the phone with the seller, he was telling me I was second in line but a guy from NY was coming to get it right away. He asked me if he undersold it and I told him that the guy from NY will buy it and will be happy. I told him if it falls thru or he doesn't show up to let me know. I never talked price with him. It was hard not to because it was his fathers who was no longer with us.........He knew nothing about pins as he told me that it was stuck on high volume and was way too loud. I did tell him to open the coin door and use the buttons to lower the volume. He did while we were on the phone. He was a very nice guy!

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

Bottom line on CL pinball deals these days:

- Have cash
    - A truck (already loaded with tools/blankets/straps)
    - Be ready to leave at a moments notice

The man speaks the absolute the truth. (Although I would add "Hope you get there before the resellers do.")

With all of the under-the-table "professional" flippers out there, this is what the buying side of the hobby has become.

It's all turned into BIG business, and long-gone are the days of only the true pinball enthusiasts buying and selling. Now the scene is littered with TONS of people who couldn't really give two-shits about pinball, looking only to turn a quick (big) profit, and doing whatever they have to to make the score. Financially speaking, these folks have ruined pinball to a large degree.

#25 10 years ago

its a CL Auction this is a job for some people. the old day news paper ads are long gone. the one whos the most money wins

Cash_in_Hand.gifCash_in_Hand.gif

#26 10 years ago
    Quoted from Fatsquatch:

The man speaks the absolute the truth. (Although I would add "Hope you get there before the resellers do.")

With all of the under-the-table "professional" flippers are out there, this is what the buying side of the hobby has become.

It's all turned into BIG business, and long-gone are the days of only the true pinball enthusiasts buying and selling. Now the scene is littered with TONS of people who couldn't really give two-shits about pinball, looking only turn a quick (big) profit, and doing whatever they have to to make the score. Financially speaking, these folks have ruined pinball to a large degree.

I totally agree with this.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

+1

What goes around comes around. If you respect other peoples' deals they will respect yours.

I've been undercut on deals many times. It's frustrating. But I picked up a ToM for $1k on CL. Those sellers were angels.. they got so many calls and offers for more money but they honored my deal. The karmic payback for being an honorable buyer is sweet. And if I know a friend who is looking for a specific game and it shows up on CL, even if it's a great deal and I'd like to have it, I will give my friend first crack. We've learned to identify who in the area to avoid and who to show consideration to based on how CL transactions go down.

As a result, I have friends who notify me when deals show up in my own area, and I do the same for them. A good friend is much more valuable than a cheap game. And if you treat other people right, you'll never run out of good games or good friends.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from edwinpblue:

You aren't supposed to use Craigslist to find victims to murder either.....

#29 10 years ago

Scam.....

#30 10 years ago

You are 100% right. And people here defend these guys.

Quoted from Fatsquatch:

It's all turned into BIG business, and long-gone are the days of only the true pinball enthusiasts buying and selling. Now the scene is littered with TONS of people who couldn't really give two-shits about pinball, looking only to turn a quick (big) profit, and doing whatever they have to to make the score. Financially speaking, these folks have ruined pinball to a large degree.

#31 10 years ago

CL is lawless, and the guy running it could care less unless it's a criminal issue. It's almost as if someone needs to start an alternate to ebay, but not quite CL. Like two people agree on a price, and a digital contract is formed, and neither party can back out.

#32 10 years ago

Your only goal with Craigslist is to get in front of the seller in person with the ability to pay and move the game RIGHT NOW.

All 'I offered XYZ..' etc doesn't mean jack. 'I made plans to pick up the pin next week..' - you're screwed.

Until the money has changed hands... you're vulnerable.

#33 10 years ago

Ultimately, there are no rules on CL. As other posters have said, if someone posts a game with good pricing, all of the guys that are using RSS feeds on CL respond within seconds with a "that's a great deal, I'll take it" messages. The seller, upon seeing hundreds of messages, quickly figures out that they've underpriced the game. So, unless you're already giving the seller the money, the price is going up. It's now a competition to see who can get the game and flip it for the profit. I don't like it, but it's the way it is now. It'll be this way until pinball becomes unprofitable. I pray that this comes soon.

Dave

#34 10 years ago

Fattrain hit this nail on the head.

Be ready at any minute of any day. Or lose your chance at a good deal.

#35 10 years ago

Most ads now say "or best offer", which is just what they mean.

#36 10 years ago

We have never bought a machine from Craigslist.. So we can't be accused of foul play

#37 10 years ago

I'm not sure what one has to do with the other

Quoted from Gexchange:

We have never bought a machine from Craigslist.. So we can't be accused of foul play

#38 10 years ago

I have never sold a pin on CL but I have sold plenty of other items. It seems everyone always wants to negotiate a price on the phone. I will not do this because they just consider it the new asking price and want to talk you down further from there. My policy is first $$$ in the door gets it because there are lots of flakes and no shows out there. I will not give an address until they are ready to come out and I would not have 2 driving at the same time.

I did have a guy pissed at me one time over a car. Spoke to me at noon and told me he wanted to buy the car at 6 (he only saw pictures) Calls back around 4 says it will be more like 8. In the mean time another buyer wants to see it at 5 and I sell it. He was so pissed when he called back at 8 telling me how he made all these arrangements etc. I had no guarantee that he would take it so why should I hold it?

#39 10 years ago

Like other have mentioned, just be honest and things will work out.

I got my both my JP and F14 off craigslist. The JP was from some older lady who didn't want it in her house anymore, and she listed it for $4000. I emailed her politely saying that it isn't worth $4000, maybe around $2000 was a more reasonable price to be asking for. I went by to check it out and noticed a few issues with it. so we negotiated down to $1850 and I took it. After the sale, she told me that there were offers upwards of $2300 and lots of emails about the machine, but because she had it listed at $4000, a LOT of people were very rude, and she was claiming it was just an honest mistake and she had no idea of the value. Therefore, since I was the "nicest person to talk to", I got the machine at an honest price. I was tempted to just give her an even $2000 after that, but I guess the greedy side got the better of me.

#40 10 years ago

Answered a CL ad the 1st week of May and the guy had a very desirable looking classic game and he said he was taking bids till the end of May.........

#41 10 years ago

pending on how far you have to go for the Machine

Quoted from pinballlizard:I have never sold a pin on CL but I have sold plenty of other items. It seems everyone always wants to negotiate a price on the phone. I will not do this because they just consider it the new asking price and want to talk you down further from there. My policy is first $$$ in the door gets it because there are lots of flakes and no shows out there. I will not give an address until they are ready to come out and I would not have 2 driving at the same time.
    I did have a guy pissed at me one time over a car. Spoke to me at noon and told me he wanted to buy the car at 6 (he only saw pictures) Calls back around 4 says it will be more like 8. In the mean time another buyer wants to see it at 5 and I sell it. He was so pissed when he called back at 8 telling me how he made all these arrangements etc. I had no guarantee that he would take it so why should I hold it?

if you just drove 2 hours for a pin how much negotiating power do you really think you have? I always try to have an idea of what the final price will be before I go.

#42 10 years ago

I once had a guy try and fight me over a working freezer that I put on CL. I was asking $25 and would have givin it away for free but he was mad becuase I told him it was white when it was really white with a brown top. He thought that I was trying to lie about the quality (keep in mind it was a $25 working freezer). He got all mad so I told him to leave, after that he freaked out jumped in his mini van and peeled out while flicking me off.

I tell this story just so you will keep in mind that craigslist along with the rest of the world is filled with douche bags.

#43 10 years ago

This sort of happened to me last week... Contacted a guy about a game he listed for an OK price on CL nearly a week prior. I contacted him and told him I wanted to look it over before committing to buy it. It would not boot and had some condition issues. He said I was the first person to contact him, which I did not believe but I went to look the game over anyway. Some other personal events like work, ect. only allowed him to show the game one or two specific times per week. We agreed on a time and day and I honestly never expected to hear back from him. It all worked out just fine though, and I ended up buying the game and am cleaning it up now.

From my experience if you have a "NOT WILLING TO GO THE EXTRA LENGTH" to make a CL deal happen, it just never does. Lazy CL shoppers get no deals. Hell, I was asking the guy what else he has for sale because I collect more than just pinball games.

It shocks me that people don't take the extra time to ask these simple questions. I once got 5 free backglasses from someone I bought 3 playfields from and ended up restoring them and selling them for fairly decent cash. The guy had all the BG's leaning against a trash can in his basement and said they were going into the trash the next day. He gave them to me because I asked if he had and other cheap parts for sale? I tried to pay him for the backglasses but he refused to take any money from me. I would have never known they were there had I not asked.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinRaider:

I once had a guy try and fight me over a working freezer that I put on CL. I was asking $25 and would have givin it away for free but he was mad becuase I told him it was white when it was really white with a brown top. He thought that I was trying to lie about the quality (keep in mind it was a $25 working freezer). He got all mad so I told him to leave, after that he freaked out jumped in his mini van and peeled out while flicking me off.
    I tell this story just so you will keep in mind that craigslist along with the rest of the world is filled with douche bags.

That reminds me of a CL story where this Spanish family came to buy a fridge I had. On the phone I told them the price was firm and she said no problem. She shows up with this army of children I help her load it in the car and then she announces she doesn't have all the money, and it's like $40 less than what we agreed and she needs to feed her family and keep her baby formula cold and if I could help her little babies.. etc. I was like, "Ok, let's get it unloaded!" and then suddenly she came up with the extra $40. Magic!

#45 10 years ago

I love the illiterate responses I get when I ask about a vague for sale ad, and they reply with something like "doesn't start", or "needs gone thru"... Ummm yea, I think I'll pass, really not worth the effort.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

pending on how far you have to go for the Machine

if you just drove 2 hours for a pin how much negotiating power do you really think you have? I always try to have an idea of what the final price will be before I go.

I know what you mean and it really depends on price. If it is a $300 game you have no negotiation power if it is a $5000 game at least I would walk away from a 2 hour drive if we could not come to terms. I did sort of do what you did with a machine. It was a firepower 2 hours away. Guy's price was not terrible unless shot. His pictures were bad and he didn't even know how to get in the back box. It sat in a shed for 20+ years. I politely told him that if I drove up it would be in my van and that I would not haggle price with him at all on site. I said I must assume destroyed board and roached playfield and made him an offer. He hesitated and said he wanted to to see if he had better offers. I told him that was fine but I was tied up the next 3 weeks and this weekend was free to drive up. He called me 30 minutes later and agreed to sell it for the offer. I see nothing wrong with this approach but the times I have told people on the phone I would take less they offered still less in person. I just tell the to leave.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I love the illiterate responses I get when I ask about a vague for sale ad, and they reply with something like "doesn't start", or "needs gone thru"... Ummm yea, I think I'll pass, really not worth the effort.

Nah man. Those kinds of machines ALWAYS need nothing more than a fuse.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craigslistthe-new-ebay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.