Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Spg101
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170403_185530 (resized).jpg
    20170403_185520 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    20161128_083240 (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

This is a general question regarding listing things for sale on Craigslist. Why do people respond with a text message to your cell, asking if the item is still available, but requesting that you email them back to an address within the text?
    I'm sure this is a scam, but after getting your email response, what comes next?

#2 7 years ago

They usually want to mail you a "certified check" which is no good. Of course it takes your bank 2+ weeks to figure out that the check is bad, despite the teller telling you otherwise. They accidentally make the check out for over the amount and then ask for a partial refund.
    Cash on pick-up or postal money order, otherwise no deal.

#3 7 years ago

Yes, it's a scam. Next usually comes "I'm in the United States marines and stationed in Kuwait, I will wire the money to you.", that one happens sometimes to others. Not sure who would pick it up, it sounds like a scamming business rather than an individual, so I don't know what would happen at that point.

Imagine if it were true: Stationed in Kuwait and still browsing home-local Craigslist for pins... and I thought *I* had the pinball buying bug bad! LMAO

#4 7 years ago

I always have them send me a check, made out to minor characters from "seinfeld". I have it mailed to a PO box. Its always for about $980 more than it is supposed to be and they want me to send back the extra cash via western union. I just string them along for several days then wait for the next "is your item still availiable" Text.

20161128_083240 (resized).jpg20161128_083240 (resized).jpg

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I always have them send me a check, made out to minor characters from "seinfeld".

I get you wanted to do "minor" characters but it's just wrong to not have a Kramer one!

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I always have them send me a check, made out to minor characters from "seinfeld". I have it mailed to a PO box. Its always for about $980 more than it is supposed to be and they want me to send back the extra cash via western union. I just string them along for several days then wait for the next "is your item still availiable" Text.

HA!! Too funny!

#7 7 years ago

Use a Google voice number rather than your real number. And use a Gmail address specifically for CL so scammers don't get your real contact info.

When you figure out the person is legitimate then you switch to your real number if needed.

#8 7 years ago

That is just hilarious!!!!

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

I just string them along for several days

Omg that is funny!!!
    Mike

#10 7 years ago

After you get the check, tell the scammer that it got wet and was unreadable so that they will send another one. And keep doing that until they give up

#11 7 years ago

I emailed a guy with a star trek in pa.
    Back and forth very normal.
    He asked me for my cell . I gave it.. then I got a email with some bogus fbi.. shit saying I'm a scamming Craigslist lurker ?
    Wtf ?
    I'm not sure,what kind of bullshit the guy is up to .. but the game apears and disappears time to time.. odd... I've purchased most of my pinns from craigslist.. never before did I deal with that..

#12 7 years ago

They have now moved on to PayPal...

My last communicae

"Hello Sir,

Your PayPal address is not a registered email!

Please verify [email protected] is correct?"

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bearcat:

They have now moved on to PayPal...
    My last communicae
    "Hello Sir,
    Your PayPal address is not a registered email!
    Please verify [email protected] is correct?"

I saw this one in the other thread, love it, hahahaha

4 months later
    #14 7 years ago

I do something similar not with scammers but those annoying soliciting calls, not in a long time cause I block them now but I used to tell them I was very interested and ask them to give me a minute and leave them on the phone...Its amazing cause sometimes they would wait quite sometime.....does it make me a bad person?? If we all did stuff like this they would go away but there's a sucker born every minute (swallowers a harder to find)

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

That is awesome. So funny. I love Seinfeld.
    When I get telemarketing calls I ask the person on the line to wait while I get my wife. Then I put the phone down and go about my business.

#16 7 years ago

You need a Kenny Bania check, -It's gold Jerry, gold.

#17 7 years ago

I went through that scam a few years ago and directed them to send the check to Buford T Justice. The check was sent to the local police station. Jackie Gleason was awesome in Smokey and the Bandit.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from LitzDoc:

You need a Kenny Bania check, -It's gold Jerry, gold.

Gotcha covered

20170403_185520 (resized).jpg20170403_185520 (resized).jpg

#20 7 years ago

The hardest to get was an Uncle Leo check...even the scammers wouldnt fall for it ...until I convinced one that I was from Slovania and told him "Uncle" was as common a first name as John was here...

20170403_185530 (resized).jpg20170403_185530 (resized).jpg

#21 7 years ago

I just realized I could cash all these and buy a BOP 3.0...

#22 7 years ago

My lord Cosmo! How many of those do you have?! That's awesomely hilarious!

#23 7 years ago

That is so funny. I can't believe it. I got to get on CL and give it a try. Amazing. Good work.

#24 7 years ago

I'm LMAO reading these. I used to have a separate e-mail just for these and I would drag them along as far as I could. I figure if they are communicating with me there is less time for them to scam someone else. Imagine if we all did that. I'm going to use that PayPal email address now too

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craigslist-scammers?hl=spg101 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.