Craigslist Scam Alert!

By phlegmer

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I'm not certain if this is the proper place to make folks aware of this. If not, I apologize

sd.craigslist.org link

This came up not too far from me. When I inquired got the following:
---

"Hi!!

Thanks for your interest in my item, unfortunately a guy bought this from me ahead of you, but I can tell you that I got those items from queebids.com and I resold them for some extra money, easy bucks huh? You can do the same as you want lol.

The trick is to watch for bidding to slow down and then put in a bid. Just bid when there's under 5 seconds left and it's easy to win. That's what I do and I win most of the time. Please do not share my trick with others, competition you know...

Good luck!
Steven Schilling

Gilligan's Island

Sent from iPad"
---

Guess the old mantra if it's too good to be true....

Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

I've gotten the exact same thing here in Indy.

#3 9 years ago

Pretty much any CL ad where they spell out the email address is a scam....!

#4 9 years ago

Never answer the *at* Gmail ads.

They come in different forms and not just pinball. Just stuff coming from a scam mill.

#5 9 years ago

I stopped reading at "my item".

#6 9 years ago

I usually do a google search on the email. If I get hits in other far away cities I flag it and move on.

#7 9 years ago

Same here in Buffalo.... .........Joey

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from phlegmer:

I'm not certain if this is the proper place to make folks aware of this. If not, I apologize
sd.craigslist.org link
This came up not too far from me.

Saw this one, too. There were some on MT and ID craigslists that were similar.

Seems like a lot of work just to give someone a web address, but spammers move in mysterious ways.

#9 9 years ago

phlegmer, do you live in South Dakota?

#10 9 years ago

No pinballer EVER refers to his pin, his machine, his game, his table, etc., as "my item".

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

No pinballer EVER refers to his pin, his machine, his game, his table, etc., as "my item"

This is my pinball, this is my item (with due apologies)

This is my pinball. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My pinball is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My pinball, without me, is useless. Without my pinball, I am useless. I must fire my pinball true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to outscore me. I must outscore him before he outscores me. I will...

My pinball and I know that what counts in tournaments is not the balls we shoot, the noise of our specials, nor the flashing lights we make. We know that it is the modes completed that count. We will complete them...

My pinball is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its springs and its sleeves. I will keep my pinball clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

My pinball and I are the defenders of my IFPA ranking. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is mine and there is no enemy, but those on the next round!

#12 9 years ago

Most redundant topic title ever

#13 9 years ago

Funny, this very same machine (photos and all) was listed on the Hudson Valley NY craigslist a couple of months ago. I got a similar message in reply to my query.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

No pinballer EVER refers to his pin, his machine, his game, his table, etc., as "my item".

Yup, when I saw that response to my inquiry, knew something was up.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

phlegmer, do you live in South Dakota?

Nope, ND

#16 9 years ago

I inherited $500,000 from an exiled prince in Nigeria, so I figured I'd buy some pins on CL and ran into this same scam!

#17 9 years ago

Love how the schills name is schilling....
My local auctioneer could really use this guy to make him some money...

#18 9 years ago

Same here. These guys are all over the place. Got the same thing when responding to an ad for a pristine Future Spa listed for $200.

#19 9 years ago

Damn. I was hoping you were close and invite me over to play your sweet pins...

#20 9 years ago

I got this same message when I inquired about a Black Knight here in Burbank about a month ago.

#21 9 years ago

I will send my agent to pick up the item.

#22 9 years ago

It's simple to tell that this message is a scam. "My User Account~ riveraena9 & GML. Comm"

Legit sellers would never do that.

11 months later
#23 8 years ago

Had a pinsider reach out to me to check if The Shadow listed on Craigslist is mine. The guy has lifted the picture from a post on here I did. It's a scam, obviously! He knows something about pins enough to comment on the translite and saying he has the original. Who actually bites on these scams? Would you have it shipped? Crazy!!!

columbus.craigslist.org link

1 week later
#24 8 years ago

It's fun to give back to those who try to take..... there's a service named mailbait. Plug in there email address and send them 10000 junk emails in a few hours. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Inevitably they will end up having to delete their email address. Not exactly ethical. Just sweet revenge.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from wizzardz:

This is my pinball, this is my item (with due apologies)
This is my pinball. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My pinball is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.
My pinball, without me, is useless. Without my pinball, I am useless. I must fire my pinball true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to outscore me. I must outscore him before he outscores me. I will...
My pinball and I know that what counts in tournaments is not the balls we shoot, the noise of our specials, nor the flashing lights we make. We know that it is the modes completed that count. We will complete them...
My pinball is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its springs and its sleeves. I will keep my pinball clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...
My pinball and I are the defenders of my IFPA ranking. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.
So be it, until victory is mine and there is no enemy, but those on the next round!

You must have been a Marine.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from tk-the-jammer:

It's fun to give back to those who try to take..... there's a service named mailbait. Plug in there email address and send them 10000 junk emails in a few hours. It's the gift that keeps on giving. Inevitably they will end up having to delete their email address. Not exactly ethical. Just sweet revenge.

Pretty harsh way of teaching someone a lesson, but so it stealing. Thanks for the idea though. Could come in handy in the event I run into a jerk who needs an attitude adjustment.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 40.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craigslist-scam-alert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.