Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jgelman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider branlon8.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

I'm selling a couple of pins on Craigslist and wanted to post about a scam that was tried on me. About a day after posting the machine, I got an offer from a buyer that offered to send a check for the cost of the machine plus shipping plus an extra twenty dollars.
    I did a little looking into this and apparently this is a fairly common CL scam. The persons perpetrating the scam send you a cashiers check that you cash and then send them the item. In a few days the check bounces and the bank makes you repay the money and you are out the machine as well.

Was it a personal or certified check or a cashiers check? Looking in Wikipedia:

„A cashier's check (or cashier's cheque) is a check guaranteed by a bank, drawn on the bank's own funds and signed by a cashier.[1] Cashier's checks are treated as guaranteed funds because the bank, rather than the purchaser, is responsible for paying the amount. They are commonly required for real estate and brokerage transactions.

Genuine cashier's checks deposited into a bank account are usually cleared the next day. The customer can request "next-day availability" when depositing a cashier's check in person. Forged cashier's checks may bounce 2 weeks after being deposited.“

Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I was selling a small block dodge motor and I received 5 fake cashier checks over nighted to me by FedEx

It sounds like the forged cashiers checks are the issue - are they so convincing looking that the only way to be sure is to wait until the funds actually clear ? - would seem to kind of defeat the purpose.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider branlon8.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craigslist-scam-1?tu=branlon8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.