Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by jgelman
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm selling a couple of pins on Craigslist and wanted to post about a scam that was tried on me. About a day after posting the machine, I got an offer from a buyer that offered to send a check for the cost of the machine plus shipping plus an extra twenty dollars.

I did a little looking into this and apparently this is a fairly common CL scam. The persons perpetrating the scam send you a cashiers check that you cash and then send them the item. In a few days the check bounces and the bank makes you repay the money and you are out the machine as well.

A few things to look for that were present in my offer was that they never actually mentioned the item for sale. CL says this is because it is a mass mailing to CL sellers hoping to get a few to bite so the email is generic. The English was a little off but then again it was supposedly from a cell phone so auto correct could have played a part. The offer for more than the asking price is another giveaway. The biggest tip off according to CL is that all CL sales are meant to be local so you should never ship an item.

This was all new to me so I figured I'd pass this along to the rest of the community.

#2 3 years ago

Good information. Thanks for the post.

#3 3 years ago

Yep, it's a very common scam when trying to sell anything--not just limited to pinball.

As the saying goes when you're selling a pin: cash on the glass.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-not-get-ripped-off-in-pinball-vids-guide

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/attention-don-t-get-scammed/

#4 3 years ago

I was selling a small block dodge motor and I received 5 fake cashier checks over nighted to me by FedEx. I knew it was a scam but played along. They threatened me by saying they will call the fbi and I said I think they are too busy tracking terrorist and not worried about me keeping your fake cashier checks.

#5 3 years ago

I had one of these scams one time and I told them my address what the White House. 1600 Pennsylvania Ave .
    They must have sent the check because he followed up like a week later. I didn’t reply after that. No idea is the pres cashed the check

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from athens95:

I had one of these scams one time and I told them my address what the White House. 1600 Pennsylvania Ave .
    They must have sent the check because he followed up like a week later. I didn’t reply after that. No idea is the pres cashed the check

Here in Chicago we like to use 1060 W Addison St.

#7 3 years ago

Have the sent directly to FBI HQ.

Hoover Building
    935 Pennsylvania Ave NW
    Washington, DC 20535-0001

-Rob
    -visit https://www.kahr.ust go get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my Pinball 2000 H+V Video Sync Combiner kit

#8 3 years ago

Thats an old Scam...it happen to me in texas about 10 years ago...I remember giving them the address to the local police station..lol

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from JayDee:

Here in Chicago we like to use 1060 W Addison St.

That’s Wrigley Field!

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s Wrigley Field!

Thanks to Jake and Elwood for the idea

#11 3 years ago

This happened to my Grandma that is an artist and someone wanted to do this for a painting. Luckily she asked around and we all told her it was a scam. She's very old, so good for her to ask. What I don't get is, how does this scam work? Why would anyone ship anything of great value without full clearance of payment?

#12 3 years ago

Somewhere out there is an honest Joe Shmoe who just wants to buy a pinball machine with his cashier checks but just can’t get anyone to answer his email.

#13 3 years ago

heh, I bought 2 machines with a cashier's check, sight unseen.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

What I don't get is, how does this scam work? Why would anyone ship anything of great value without full clearance of payment?

By law a bank clears it in X number of days. ( I forget the exact number, it isn't many ). Two weeks later when it comes up bad, they go after you, the person who deposited fraudulent funds. At the very least you are on the hook for the money.

LTG : )

#15 3 years ago

It’s too bad there are low life idiots out there screwing people for money. Get a fuckin life!

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

It’s too bad there are low life idiots out there screwing people for money. Get a fuckin life!

Unfortunately that is their life. Scumbags

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

I'm selling a couple of pins on Craigslist and wanted to post about a scam that was tried on me. About a day after posting the machine, I got an offer from a buyer that offered to send a check for the cost of the machine plus shipping plus an extra twenty dollars.
    I did a little looking into this and apparently this is a fairly common CL scam. The persons perpetrating the scam send you a cashiers check that you cash and then send them the item. In a few days the check bounces and the bank makes you repay the money and you are out the machine as well.

Was it a personal or certified check or a cashiers check? Looking in Wikipedia:

„A cashier's check (or cashier's cheque) is a check guaranteed by a bank, drawn on the bank's own funds and signed by a cashier.[1] Cashier's checks are treated as guaranteed funds because the bank, rather than the purchaser, is responsible for paying the amount. They are commonly required for real estate and brokerage transactions.

Genuine cashier's checks deposited into a bank account are usually cleared the next day. The customer can request "next-day availability" when depositing a cashier's check in person. Forged cashier's checks may bounce 2 weeks after being deposited.“

Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I was selling a small block dodge motor and I received 5 fake cashier checks over nighted to me by FedEx

It sounds like the forged cashiers checks are the issue - are they so convincing looking that the only way to be sure is to wait until the funds actually clear ? - would seem to kind of defeat the purpose.

5 months later
    #18 2 years ago

I posted on my KOD classified related forum thread about a scam attempt yesterday related to my listing on Craigslist.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-king-of-diamonds-18

Right after that, I got an email from a guy saying:

Hello,

I have a king of diamonds that I want to restore, but I am intrigued by your machine. I started my collection less than 10 years ago with lots of Gottlieb wedgeheads, some add a ball machines, some system 1s and several other various machines ranging from the 1950s through to the 1990s. One of the pinball people I met over the years talked about somebody in Rolling Hills Estates with a large collection and it might be you. Looking at a few of your pictures, I think you might be the person that was mentioned. Anyway, I am interested in coming to check out your machine. What does your upcoming week look like?

Thanks,

After a reply, I got this:

I used to have “newer” machines like Funhouse and Taxi and Addams Family and Earthshaker, Etc... but went through a divorce and they were liquidated. Was out of pinball for several years and then found a Gottlieb Wedgehead (Top Card) at a thrift store and just was mesmerized by the art, history and mechanics.

I also once had a 300 and a Central Park- and an Aquarius.... would love to have a Buckaroo someday.

And I am sure that I would not be able to restore a king of diamonds to the state that yours is in which is why I am intrigued. So I would love to come and look at it, with an intention to possibly buy it. I have flexibility in my schedule. I’m going to LA tomorrow to pick up a playfield so that might work.

Can I call you tomorrow? Since it’s still Mother’s Day, I’m on the hook for a movie with the family as soon as I’m done with this email....

Thanks,

We exchanged phone numbers, talked on the phone, and the plan was for him to come over today at 4:30PM, where it was for him to buy the machine assuming it was as advertised. That is what worked best for him. I re-arranged my schedule to leave work early after confirming at 1:30PM he was planning to come, and placed the listing here as "sale pending"

Then, as I was on my way home, which was very inconvenient for me, but what worked best for him, I get this text:

I don’t want to waste your time or mine. What I really want to do is the restoration work rather than buying something that has already been restored, even if it takes me longer than I’d like. I appreciate talking with you and maybe down the road if I change my mind and you still have it, I will reach out.

Sigh!!!!!!!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craigslist-scam-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.