Topic Stats

• 82 posts
  • 47 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by ASAC_Schrader
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider
  • Topic is sticky in its sub-forum

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

games (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    4 (resized).png
    3 (resized).png
    2 (resized).jpg
    1 (resized).jpg
    2 (resized).png
    1 (resized).png
    There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago

A bit OT but it has to do with selling on CL. I have a Jeep for sale right now and I got an email from a Rose Santiago. The 1st couple of emails seemed normal, but then she started asking questions that were clearly listed in the CL ad. Then I get an email stating that she would like to buy the Jeep, but ONLY if I have a VIN# report run for her using a link she provided. She says it's only $20 and then claims she would pay me back for the report. I investigated the link to find out it is a scam for personal information and credit card theft. I nicely replied that I had already ran a Carfax report and that I would gladly forward it to her. The next email I get is her(or whatever Rose is)stating that her mechanic does not trust Carfax and he also insists that I use the link she gave me. I then reply back that all of my credit cards have been shut off because I spent too much on Xmas presents and that is why I have to sell the Jeep. I then suggest how about I send her the VIN# and she could pay for the report herself and she wouldn't have to owe me anything. I lastly asked what time she would be here to buy the Jeep. I still haven't heard back.

#52 7 years ago

I've got those too. I tell them they are welcome to come see it and pay for their own report.

Better to just use the report scam link CL includes with every email through their system.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Never wire ANYONE money for a pinball machine unless you are wiring an Escrow company.

Some scammers give you the account number of an escrow service where you should wire the funds. But it's just their own account number and not a legitimate escrow service!

Quoted from vid1900:

It's always a scam.

You should always assume it is.

Quoted from ReplayRyan:

If it sounds too good to be true...

That's the number one rule!

#54 7 years ago

Do not wire money! Use escrow.com

1 week later
    #55 7 years ago

Another one popped up:

providence.craigslist.org link

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#56 7 years ago

And just for fun, their response when I asked what town they were in, and what their asking prices were:

Identical format to what the OP posted.

#57 7 years ago

And again:

boston.craigslist.org link

#58 7 years ago

Those prices aren't even that good to get someone thinking they're getting a good deal. Are they even trying?

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

Those prices aren't even that good to get someone thinking they're getting a good deal. Are they even trying?

Heh, yeah, I wouldn't really be tempted on any of those either.

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from Bugsy:

If the prices are too good, people will think it's a scam.

It has to be just real enough that someone looking for one of those titles will send money.

#61 7 years ago

When buying pinballs, there are only 2 ways I will ever pay. A credit card or cash during pick up.

#62 7 years ago

I bought SS and TAF off this guy for $5k total, and they were delivered yesterday!

All jokes aside, thanks to the OP for taking the time to post all that info, and in such a nice flowing format. While I did throw out a joke, these guys are total scumbags. I have no idea how they haven't been caught at this point. I wonder if anybody that was either victimized by them, or almost was, has followed through with any formal complaints, reports or statements to the police, etc. I almost want to find them, make some deal and then take everything they have.

Under the Consumer Fraud Act, in the event of gross misrepresentation and/or intentional collusive acts aimed to deceive a consumer that results in economic loss to that party, the perpetrator of the fraud is subjected to "treble damages" (which is 3 times the amount of the actual economic loss suffered). I need to get this guy's actual ID, hire one of my firm's PI's to find his entire family (for security) and then do a deal for $20k with him. Then I'll sue him the following week for $60k + counsel fees and costs. That'll teach him a lesson. And if he can't pay it, I'll lien his real estate, and evict his family. And as they are walking out guided by the sheriff, I'll be moving a ton of pinball machines in at the same time, and tell him I'm just going to use the house for pinball storage.

Sidebar - I was contacted last year at my pin biz by some guy saying that he was the actual Italian guy that reimported the games. Sent me an actual Excel spreadsheet with descriptions and pricing, said he had over 200 games. Similar language to what the OP and ForceFlow posted, and he also sent me a ton of detailed photos. It actually did seem legit at first, but the emails started to get weird once I asked him to take a video, and asked if he could fill out tax forms that I would need for the company (which I made up), including a W-9. He stopped responding right after that.

Has anybody ever dealt with the "actual Italian guy" that does supposedly reimport games in bulk, or is this whole thing just a scam in it's entirety?

Glad you didn't get burned OP....good pick up on the photoshopped label. I am going to email his Boston post right now and just send this repeatedly....

games (resized).jpggames (resized).jpg

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Under the Consumer Fraud Act, in the event of gross misrepresentation and/or intentional collusive acts aimed to deceive a consumer that results in economic loss to that party, the perpetrator of the fraud is subjected to "treble damages" (which is 3 times the amount of the actual economic loss suffered). I need to get this guy's actual ID, hire one of my firm's PI's to find his entire family (for security) and then do a deal for $20k with him. Then I'll sue him the following week for $60k + counsel fees and costs. That'll teach him a lesson. And if he can't pay it, I'll lien his real estate, and evict his family. And as they are walking out guided by the sheriff, I'll be moving a ton of pinball machines in at the same time, and tell him I'm just going to use the house for pinball storage.

Sadly, even when you have his actual ID, and know where he and his entire family live, and he lives in the USA, nothing happens after $$$$$ in lawyer and court costs.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-official-pinside-skit-b-predator-discussion

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jpop-update-thread%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6%e2%80%a6mg-raza-and-aiw%e2%80%a6

#64 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Sadly, even when you have his actual ID, and know where he and his entire family live, and he lives in the USA, nothing happens after $$$$$ in lawyer and court costs.

Sometimes...but that's the benefit of being a member of the profession. I can do it all myself free of charge, give or take roughly $200 in court costs

#65 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Sometimes...but that's the benefit of being a member of the profession. I can do it all myself free of charge, give or take roughly $200 in court costs

Excellent!

I say you buy someone's interest in their Jpoop & Scat-ball games and start evicting those sonsobitches....

#66 7 years ago

Only circumstantial evidence but the company that they opened the bank account with was a South African shell company. Im pretty sure American laws and lawsuits don't apply.

I did however report this to the FBI cyber fraud division. I can only hope that some detail I provided will help them or someone. But I certainly don't bank on these guys ever getting caught or penalized.

All we can do is educate ourselves as a community enough that they stop seeing us as a target.

#67 7 years ago

I had a brief run in with these guys. There was an ad posted in Scottsbluff Nebraska, about a 4 hour drive from Denver. I reply to the ad asking for details. When he tells me the games are in Los Angeles I stop all communication.....Obvious fraud at that point.......

#68 7 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

Has anybody ever dealt with the "actual Italian guy" that does supposedly reimport games in bulk, or is this whole thing just a scam in it's entirety?

Yes -- documented on here in several different threads I think.. I have one from him and there is a nw group that just was delivered a container and is ordering another.. apparently there are still a few euro pins out there ready to come home

You would recognize those pics immediately as being ripped from him, as well as the monthly excel sheet with pricing and brief explanations.

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

If you use chrome or firefox, you can right click on an image and click the option to search for the image, and it will show any search results for that image.

Would love to know how to do this. I use Firefox but don't see an option to search for the image. Thanks.

#70 7 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

Would love to know how to do this. I use Firefox but don't see an option to search for the image. Thanks.

I've been using it for so long, I forgot that it was an extension.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/google-similar-images/

After its installed:

Right click on the image > Google this image

#71 7 years ago

look man, all this "too good to be true madness" just gives more merit to
    1. call a guy about his ad, talk about the game, set up a time to come by, play and look it over , decide and purchase or leave
    2. when banks and transfers and the likes get involved I turn and walk - END of discussion
    3. be patient, the right game from the right person at the right time will show up and it will be THE RIGHT DEAL.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinnaf:

look man, all this "too good to be true madness" just gives more merit to
    1. call a guy about his ad, talk about the game, set up a time to come by, play and look it over , decide and purchase or leave
    2. when banks and transfers and the likes get involved I turn and walk - END of discussion
    3. be patient, the right game from the right person at the right time will show up and it will be THE RIGHT DEAL.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Agreed, with craigslist I assume everything is a scam until I prove to myself otherwise. And I never deal with a transaction I cannot do in person with eyes on the merchandise and cash in hand, period.

#73 7 years ago

Craigslist tells you on every page that any transaction involving shipping is a scam.

3 weeks later
    #75 7 years ago

Another one, this one on the Roswell CL.
    roswell.craigslist.org link

#76 7 years ago

Just got this email today...

"WELL I GOT MINE FORM NEIGHBOR WHO PASSED 15 YEARS A GO AND I HAVE ANOTHER ARCADE GAME , IF I AM WILLING TO SELL THEY ,IT WILL BE AS A PAIR AND I WILL SET A PRICE ,OK I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY SELL FROM 5OO- 4000 SO I HAVE A PRICE IN MIND, I REALLY HAVNT EVER USED THE GAMES MUCH ,I HAD FEW THINGS DONE IN 2002 AND ITS SITTING IN OUR POOL TABLE ROOM, UN USED AND NOT TO DUSTY EITHER, HAVE GREAT DAY ,GO PAC-OR COWBOYS , I AM KEEPING YOUR NUMBER SO THIS SPRING WHEN WE EMPTY OUT THE HOUSE I WILL CALL YOU OK ,,,,"

#77 7 years ago

That's a nice touch with the attempt at an American football reference.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from knockerlover:

That's a nice touch with the attempt at an American football reference.

Haha, yea that is hilarious. Got to love the misspelled subject line of the email - "I HVAE ONE PARAGON".

#79 7 years ago

"I am street performer. I work with one cobra."

3 weeks later
    #80 7 years ago

I saw this add recently in vegas. This time the games were in MN. The phone call was weird. The game I inquired about was "sold" but check out this list!!!! Total scam, and I hope the FBI catches them.

6 years later
    #82 6 months ago

Wholly thread resurrection batman!

There are 82 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craigslist-mega-scammers-beware/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.