(Topic ID: 83263)

Craigslist link to Quibids scam

By GoChiefs70

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

wozle.jpg
    pinball_scam.jpg

#1 10 years ago

springfield.craigslist.org link

Not sure if anyone else has seen this. This ad and one last week for a $400 Police Force both had gmail addresses and both sent me an identical response:

"Someone just bought this from me, but I can tell you where I got it from.
    I just picked up 4 of these from www.dailyproductsell.com and I resold them on here for some extra money.

The trick is to watch for bidding to slow down and then put in a bid. That's what I do and I win all the time.

Kind Regards

James Dean

Sent from my LG phone"

The link goes to Quibids home page. Just to verify it was not a real person, I replied that since he had 3 others, I would give $20,000 for one of the others. Nothing back. I wonder the motive of someone directly linking to Quibids, unless they are baiting people with these ads?

#2 10 years ago

The (at) gmail CL ads are everywhere and for many products. Flag and move on, because they are all junk.

#3 10 years ago

yep, tons in the bay area on CL, flag and avoid.

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from btw75:

The (at) gmail CL ads are everywhere and for many products. Flag and move on, because they are all junk.

Just curious because I saw a couple of these in the Massachusetts area the other day. I finally responded to one even though I knew the price was probably too good to be true. Still, you never know. I never received an email back. What exactly is the scam and why do they use "(at)gmail" in the ads?

#5 10 years ago

They do this to get your email address. If you respond to an anonymous CL address, your address never goes to the seller. By you emailing that address directly, they have your email address (and sender Name) and can add you to a nice list of spam email addresses to sell...

#6 10 years ago

Oh good. I can't wait.

I take it this means I'm not getting that Cyclone for $250?????

#7 10 years ago

they're floating around chicago too. Striker extreme for $350, EATPM for $600, both replied with links to quibid pages a couple days later. If it's too good to be true, it probably is

#8 10 years ago

Happened to me today in Atlanta

#9 10 years ago

Can we make this a sticky (at least temporarily). This is the 4th or 5th one I've seen in chicago now with the same format "something something (at) gmail.com" and obviously low price to hook suckers
    pinball_scam.jpgpinball_scam.jpg

#10 10 years ago

Ive been seeing them on 3 different major cities CL postings. I flag as soon as i see them but they are getting annoying as hell!

#12 10 years ago

If you look closely at the link that it is sent it is not a direct link to quibids.com. The website listed is pickselltrade.com or something like that. Im willing to bet that going through that link gives some random ahole a referral bonus for any money you spend on the site.

#13 10 years ago

They are all over the Los Angeles and Vegas CL posts. They use the same pics on most of the posts:
    orangecounty.craigslist.org link

#14 10 years ago

They are starting to pop up on the Portland, Oregon CL now:

portland.craigslist.org link

A Williams Cyclone for just $180.

#15 10 years ago

But I won the first thing I bid on...

#16 10 years ago

They are in Florida too. $500 MSF we already flagged away but I'm sure they will be back.

#17 10 years ago

For anyone that cares I just saw a Home Depot $50 gift card go for $5.50, so in this case quibids brought in $330.00 from bidders.... 550 bids @ .60 cents each bid.

But I won the first thing I bid on...derp..

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from ranchdrsn:

For anyone that cares I just saw a Home Depot $50 gift card go for $5.50, so in this case quibids brought in $330.00 from bidders.... 550 bids @ .60 cents each bid.
    But I won the first thing I bid on...derp..

Quibids is a scam joke. Maybe it's like Vegas. You win one time, then you're hooked.

#19 10 years ago

Probably another one here:

boston.craigslist.org link

Ridiculously low price, no CL reply link, spelled out gmail address in ad.

Unfortunately, TV stations are happy to take their advertising money to promote such "services."

viperrwk

#20 10 years ago

I just found one here on the Denver CL.
    It is the first one I have seen, here.
    Same type of situation.
    This one was for a fireball classic.

"Dear Richard~Nixon,

I just sold out this to someone, but I can tell you where I got it from.
    I just picked up 2 of these from www.continuesproduct.com and I resold them on here for some extra money.

The trick is to watch for bidding to slow down and then put in a bid. That's what I do and I win all the time.

Kind Regards

James Dean

Sent from Windows Mail"

denver.craigslist.org link

2 weeks later
    #21 10 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

annnnd... another

wozle.jpg 50 KB

this exact one popped up in the VT craigslist!

#22 10 years ago

They are now doing Em pins too! Just keep flagging them all, sooner or later they will tire of reposting the ads~SpOoKy

#23 10 years ago

This one always pops up in the LA and Orange counties:
    losangeles.craigslist.org link

#24 10 years ago

yea noticed wisco is gettin hit hard with the scammers, EM are the most recent

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from SpOoKyRiDeS:

Just keep flagging them all, sooner or later they will tire of reposting the ads

I think there is software that can automatically repost ads....but on the same note, there is automatic flagging software. Not sure how it works though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craigslist-link-to-quibids-scam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.