Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mcluvin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Lemmy at breakfast.jpg

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

The ad is fine_. He's trying to be /friendly/. And there is nothing wrong with a firm price.

Words that *DO* tick me off are some of the ones a lot of smarmy ebay flippers use:

1. "Cherry"
2. "Choice" (what is this, the 80's?)
3. "Shopped/Gone Through" (that one doesn't mean a damn thing).
4. "HUO for 24 years" (a lie)

Edit: In #4, I'm referring to a machine that in the pictures clearly isn't HUO.

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Because a lot of times dealing with a dick is more of a PITA

Exactly. As a buyer, what is my first thought when I see "price is firm" "no lowballers"? That I'm going to be dealing with a dick. And that may not always be the case, but it is my impression.

Chris

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Lol you're funny. It wouldn't prevent me from buying a game. I'm looking at buying a game, not living with the seller.

Yes. Perhaps that's a big extreme. But I do try to figure out the tone of the ad and its writer and that does influence whether or not there is any interest in pursuing the game. To be truthful, "Lemme" and "LOL" are probably not disqualifiers, but not by much.

#54 4 years ago

I use "lemme" in my ads to filter anyone offended by "lemme." See, it works for buyers and sellers

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Exactly. As a buyer, what is my first thought when I see "price is firm" "no lowballers"? That I'm going to be dealing with a dick. And that may not always be the case, but it is my impression.
Chris

Goes both ways. If that's your impression, then fine. The ad as worded has done it's job, because CLEARLY you're not interested in buying the machine at the price stated. Assuming the seller is a dick because they don't want to haggle on price when they have nothing to hide (he offered to let people come and check it out..) is kind of idiotic, IMO. You can either buy it at that price or pass on it after looking at it. You're not entitled to any cheaper price. Either way, if it prevents someone from wasting my time that thinks they can nitpick every bloody thing on the game to get the price down, I'd rather be a "dick" than deal with someone like that.

Will never forget the guy that tried to tell me STTNG was supposed to have 7 balls and thought I was going to move on price because of it....

#56 4 years ago

If I was truly in the market for that machine, IMO that's a fair price - and I would be GLAD that some would pass on it because they are freaked out by the ad.

#57 4 years ago

The guy is sarcastic and has a sense of humor. Good for him. I'd buy it myself if I was local.

#58 4 years ago

Lemmy tell ya something...
Lemmy at breakfast.jpg
I like his ad.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Assuming the buyer is a dick because they don't want to haggle on price when they have nothing to hide (he offered to let people come and check it out..) is kind of idiotic, IMO.

Well I guess I'm an idiot then, but I think you kind of prove my point. I didn't call you a dick BTW. Done with this thread. Going to go debate the merits of filling lock bar holes on NGG.

Chris

#60 4 years ago

Jared,

I know someone that wants this. PM me.

Chris

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

The ad is fine_. He's trying to be /friendly/. And there is nothing wrong with a firm price.
Words that *DO* tick me off are some of the ones a lot of smarmy ebay flippers use:
1. "Cherry"
2. "Choice" (what is this, the 80's?)
3. "Shopped/Gone Through" (that one doesn't mean a damn thing).
4. "HUO for 24 years" (a lie)

just wondering why #4 bothers you? I just sold my TZ that was almost just that and looked like it was in a time capsule. Not sure why I couldn't use owned it since new and or HUO for 22 years?

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Well I guess I'm an idiot then, but I think you kind of prove my point. I didn't call you a dick BTW. Done with this thread. Going to go debate the merits of filling lock bar holes on NGG.
Chris

Doing something "idiotic" doesn't make you an "idiot". Case in point, I'm not an idiot, but I "idiotically" posted "buyer" instead of "seller"....which has now been edited. The only point proven is that you're doing EVERYONE a favor by not responding to a firm-price ad when you have no intention of paying that price, even if it's as-advertised. Jesus christ.

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

just wondering why #4 bothers you? I just sold my TZ that was almost just that and looked like it was in a time capsule. Not sure why I couldn't use owned it since new and or HUO for 22 years?

No, no, no, not what I meant. I'm talking more about machines that clearly have been routed, but the seller (usually ebay) insisting that it's in pristine condition, when clearly it's been through the ropes.

Yeah--one that looks immaculate--I have no problem believing that it is HUO for a very very long time.

#64 4 years ago

With the word " firm " you STILL get people who offer less. This guy simply gave a description of what "firm" means, which in this case will simply eliminate(I.e. for the most part) people who ignore the word "firm".

#65 4 years ago

Ad was cleverly set up to discourage negotiating. When I sell a pin the latest thing is folks who 'forgot' the last $25-$50 agreed in the price when they come to pick up. THAT tells me a shit ton about who I'm selling to. Bye bye. Good luck, and don't all me again. I'll remember who you were.

Too bad too as I usually try to add extra parts I accumulated over the years to the deal. Usually $100's more. I'll just keep those.....enjoy you're piss-poor rude one-upping the seller. DB's.

#66 4 years ago

That Genesis is a great deal. Ad is fine.

#67 4 years ago

I liked the ad. It was cute and quirky. But I'm out. I already had one. It's now at my sisters so I can play it any time I want.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Chris

this makes sense only if dick means people you can't rip off

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from derek533:

I'm sure he's a great guy and all (don't you have to be to be on Pinside?), but that's no way to advertise and sell a product IMO. There's a reason why all those one price car dealerships (other than Carmax which is still a ripoff IMO), don't survive.
I bet he would have more luck if he priced it at $1,050 and after negotiations ended up at $875. People expect to bargain on CL. It's just part of it. Also, most people don't realize that it's a solid price at $875 as most people out there aren't Pinsiders and despite what he says in his add, they will still negotiate. Why not just expect that from the get go?

You can negotiate sure but when someone says their price is firm I assume they mean it.
He could easily said $2000 for the game and had it sit until someone offered less.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from biggestboss:

this makes sense only if dick means people you can't rip off

OK, I'm back for more. As a seller, I set a price. The item doesn't sell. Maybe the item isn't worth what I thought it was? Happens all the time when I sell stuff. What do I do? I lower the price. Always willing to haggle. If nobody is offering what you are asking, guess what? It isn't worth your asking price. Market dictates value or you just hang onto it until it does or doesn't. Rip off? Give me an f'n break.

I played Genesis once back in the 80's. It sucked then, and I'm sure it still sucks now. The only people who think Genesis isn't so bad are people who already own Genesis.

Chris

#71 4 years ago

Looks like a great ad to me!

I've never played this game... does it have all the greatest hits from Genesis or do you have to play your own tapes and 8 tracks?

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Chris

I agree that "no lowballers" is a little silly (you're leaving it to the buyer to decide if his counter-offer is a "low ball" offer, which is entirely arbitrary). But I don't understand why you're offended by the idea of the seller setting what they view as a fair price and saying up front that they don't intend to bargain on price. That saves you a trip if you think the machine isn't worth what they're saying. And if they've overpriced it and accordingly cannot sell it, they'll eventually figure that out and relist at at lower (and presumably still "firm") price, at which point you can give them a call if they're in the range you'd like to pay.

#73 4 years ago

Good price on that game, IMO. I played it at Cali extreme last year, totally fun.

#74 4 years ago

What is wrong with a seller having a sense of humor and goofing around on his own advert on CL? I thought it was funny, tongue in cheek and light hearted. Good thing he wasn't your doctor telling you that you have a inoperable and terminal condition.

Life is a chronic sexually transmitted disease that everyone catches and it has a 100% fatality rate. So put your affairs in order and have a laugh while you're at it, alright?

psssst... that was a joke. Get it? JOOOOOOOOOKE!

#75 4 years ago

One of the key words is "midget".

#76 4 years ago

the Ad is "Epic"
the Backglass is Creepy
the Price is Great

haven't ever played, so can't comment on game-play.

#77 4 years ago
Quoted from danczaz:

And price is always negotiable! In fact I expect a negotiation to take place. That is the whole point of CL.

No it's not. Won't stop one from trying, but just because YOU want to negotiate don't mean I have to. I usually do not budge when I sell something, it sometimes takes me longer to sell, but I sell at my own pace, and I lower my price at my pace.

The most annoying people are ones that negotiate without ever even seeing whatever it is. I'm not talking about the guy that says he may be interested in X dollars less, I'm talking about the guy that says "Would you take $xxxx less?". YOU HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN IT YET!

#78 4 years ago

I liked the ad a lot actually. Maybe not throwing out the names of who worked on it but that does'n't bother me too much. I laughed at the price being higher if you tried to negotiate.

What really bothers me is the other ad that was posted: "I plugged it in and it lites up but I did not play it." Really? You took the time to take picures, plug it in, but not push the start button? Really?

#79 4 years ago

I don't like negotiating, and I am not good at it either. What I ask is what I want to get.

#80 4 years ago

If someone states the price is firm, I honor it. If the price listed is not what I'm willing to pay, I move on. If I go there and condition is not what's expected, I'll point out why I won't pay the listed price and I'll ask if he'll be willing to negotiate.

Seller has the right to stand firm. But unless a firm price is mentioned in the ad, I'm going there assuming the price is negotiable.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from BooyaNY:

If someone states the price is firm, I honor it. If the price listed is not what I'm willing to pay, I move on. If I go there and condition is not what's expected, I'll point out why I won't pay the listed price and I'll ask if he'll be willing to negotiate.
Seller has the right to stand firm. But unless a firm price is mentioned in the ad, I'm going there assuming the price is negotiable.

Pretty well put. I also look at when the item was posted. If it says firm but has been posted more than a month I'll usually ask "how firm is firm" if I get to the point I want to buy something. 90% of the time after we have had good discussions on the item they will usually say "I can take this for it". But like I said, I do that after I know they have sat on it for awhile. The question is fairly non offensive and occasionaly they'll say "Thats the best I can do". Every situation is different though. It clearly can depend on the person your dealing with as well. I am probably never going to even ask my nice way to an elderly person trying to make up some money I feel they need. Etc. Etc....

#82 4 years ago

The price is only firm if you pay that amount!!! It could even be a fair firm price offered! It never hurts to ask!

#83 4 years ago

Wow some tough CL ad critics out there, to which I say...lighten up Francis!

#84 4 years ago

Are the ramps cracked? hard to tell from the pics?

#85 4 years ago

Ad removed, but thanks to Pinfidel for giving me the gist of it.
LOL---I've read worse. I guess this guy doesn't mince words. I like that.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Are the ramps cracked? hard to tell from the pics?

Is there a Genesis on this planet that DOESN'T have cracked ramps? I'm not certain, I didn't look that close when I was playing it.

#87 4 years ago

I want to apologize to everyone on this thread. Why the hell am I arguing about a Craigslist ad? I love pinball and want to enjoy discussions about pinball. First rule of Craigslist, there are no rules on Craigslist.......

I thought Genesis sucked 25 years ago. The next time I see one at a pinball convention, I will play it 10 times if I like it, and 20 times if I don't. Truthfully, I thought Taxi was a huge quarter drainer back in the day, but love it with free play.....

Chris

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside