New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 88974)

Interesting Craigslist Ad

By derek533

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 87 posts
  • 59 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mcluvin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Lemmy at breakfast.jpg

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

dallas.craigslist.org link

First off, if this is a pinsider, sorry, but your turning people off IMO with your wording.

Do people really think trying to be funny in ads, or having wording that is somewhat douchey helps them sell stuff? When I see ads like this, it completely turns me away from the seller and makes you really wonder what kind of nightmare you're getting yourself into.

If you're firm on your price, just put firm. Nothing else is needed.

Post edited by derek533: For peace

#2 6 years ago

This pinball machine is priced to move at $875. If you wanna negotiate the price is $1050. Lemme know which route you prefer. I paid more than this for it myself, but am willing to let it go at $875 to move it quickly (and get the room).

LMAO! There are a TON of CL scumbags out there. But this cracked me up.

#3 6 years ago

That is Mr. Epic Ninja Turtles Vanilla Ice Party himself. Seriously.

#4 6 years ago

Clearly, you've never met Jared, and yes he's on pinside. I think the price he's asking is fine, as is the ad. Game plays really well, and the vari-target works great, which is a first for me on a Genesis. Had a lot of fun playing it last night, but I got no room and no money lol.

The real jerks are the dicks that send you emails lowballing you even when you have an ad like this or you say it's 'firm'....which EVERYONE seems to ignore. So yeah, if that gets someone's attention enough for them to not even bother lowballing, seems perfectly fine to me.

*Edit* PS, YOU'RE turning me off with YOUR lack of grammar. >_<

#5 6 years ago

Looks likes a very good deal on a hard to find game with new parts added. Wording is not horrible and as a seller of CL I get annoyed by low ballers as well.

#6 6 years ago

Yes, it is a some one from Pinside, ...yes it is.

#7 6 years ago

Try dealing with people on craigslist and then comeback.

I had one person tell me the same machine is in Dallas 4 hours away and if you lowered your price you could save me a trip. I didn't budge. I told them if the machine was in good shape and in good working order that it was a good deal and they should drive to Dallas to get it. That machine is still sitting in Dallas. I hate that crap especially when you are giving a market price deal. I am supposed to lower my price substantially because someone posted a cheaper price for the same machine in an unknown condition.

#8 6 years ago

I don't know...I don't really have a problem with that ad. It's a little eye-rollish but I've seen worse. Hell, worse is anyone with a decent writeup but no pictures. Really...no pictures? Not worth that "extra effort?"

#9 6 years ago

Like Pinside threads that get out of hand, just move on. Why let it bother you?

#10 6 years ago

That game is weird enough to warrant a different kind of CL ad. It would fit nicely in someone's spook/haunted castle themed game room.

#11 6 years ago

I didn't find the wording douchey. I find that CL buyers never believe prices are firm regardless of the words you use.

#12 6 years ago

I've seen much worse.... Actually, I kind of got a chuckle out of it.

#13 6 years ago

Price seems good to me and wording is little different. I would just said price firm.

#14 6 years ago

i thought it was funny, he's not taking himself serious, but he's sounds like he knows what he's doing (as far as pinball). i'd buy from him.

tons of newbies are experts on CL now. he's trying to weed them out. that's why i don't bother with it. too much of a hassle.

#15 6 years ago

I like the ad. Short, sweet and to the point.

#16 6 years ago

I like the ad, he's right to the point and you know what to expect going into the deal. Seems like a straight shooter to me. I've got no problems with it.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#17 6 years ago

Thought the ad was great.

Check this ad out (not mine obviously): appleton.craigslist.org link

Maybe not a jerk but $1000 for a High Speed that doesn't work. WTF?

#18 6 years ago

Fantastic craigslist post.
Made me want to own a genesis even though I don't want to own a genesis

#19 6 years ago

He is probably sick of guys that use the word douchey telling him it's a $400 game.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Check this ad out (not mine obviously): appleton.craigslist.org link

And what's up with that coin door?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Check this ad out (not mine obviously): " target="_blank">appleton.craigslist.org link

Yeah but the same unit was on ebay for over 2K.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

That is the new and improved coin cloth. Weighs less and no one can see the quarters inside. Oh wait, how do you get the quarters in there?

#23 6 years ago

Ad looks OK to me. Looks like he's sold before on CL and is tired of the low-ballers is all.

#24 6 years ago

the ad is cool to me, the JERKS in CL are the ones who advertize something but never return a reply to their ad..
I get it that many notes through craiggies ends up in the email spam folder, sellers oughtta expect that and look.

#25 6 years ago

Craigslist is what it is. Most buyers are going to offer less than asking and most sellers are going to ask for more than they'd accept. You can always counter-offer and a lowballer is still a potential buyer. Posting something for sale with "price is firm" or "no lowballers" is a turn off to me. As for the humor, I don't mind it when well done, but if there is a chance you are going to turn a potential buyer off with it, why do it?

Chris

#26 6 years ago

Geeze , relax . The ad is fine , plenty of description , with a touch of humour ...whats the big deal

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Ranhorton:

I was talking to Eric about it last night at league. He said the local operators would sell games with blank door so the people buying could not compete against them.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Craigslist is what it is. Most buyers are going to offer less than asking and most sellers are going to ask for more than they'd accept. You can always counter-offer and a lowballer is still a potential buyer. Posting something for sale with "price is firm" or "no lowballers" is a turn off to me. As for the humor, I don't mind it when well done, but if there is a chance you are going to turn a potential buyer off with it, why do it?
Chris

Because a lot of times dealing with a dick is more of a PITA and only leads to being unhappy with the sale rather than just sitting on it. I've learned this TWICE now, both times from the same prick I sold two different pins to! I should've told the guy to just go FOAD when he showed up at my house the second time, but at LEAST I knew he was a lowballing prick the second time around and didn't move on my price at all. I told him he could pay it or get out.

#29 6 years ago

Funny ad is funny.

#30 6 years ago

I find it funny, not douchey. The only thing I'd put on the douchey end of the spectrum is putting key words at the end of the ad. I hate it when people do that. There's a guy that sells taxidermy and he puts pinball in his ads as a keyword. Why the hell do I want to see your ad for a stuffed armadillo when I'm looking for pinball machines?

#31 6 years ago

Great ad. I like this approach.

#32 6 years ago

I would post the same thing on CL. I like it.

#33 6 years ago

Thumbs down for the title of this thread.

#34 6 years ago

Probably a Republican....no I mean a Democrat....no a Libertarian.....yeah that's it. Dagnabit!!

#35 6 years ago

I prefer an ad like this rather than something written where you cant tell if its a fake add. At least they put some effort into it!

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I was talking to Eric about it last night at league. He said the local operators would sell games with blank door so the people buying could not compete against them.

I guess that makes sense from an operator's POV to protect his business but it seems a bit extreme.

#37 6 years ago

OP lighten up

#38 6 years ago

It's a little goofy, but presents enough info. Description, picture, ballpark price. The only problem I have at all with this info - no contact phone number. The last couple I tried to email, the responses were dead air. That's the only thing that bothers me about CL ads. I'd rather call and find out right away that it has been sold or if I have a chance at all.

#39 6 years ago

Nothing wrong with that ad. Seems like most of the ads I've seen lately have the ol' "this is on eBay for $3000!" Crap in them.

#40 6 years ago

Ad was fine with me! Any ad that doesn't say "same pinball machine was going for X $ on eBay" is fine with me! And price is always negotiable! In fact I expect a negotiation to take place. That is the whole point of CL. Unless it is an A title or newer game the rule of thumb is to open the negotiation at half the asking price and make your way from there! Lowball! Yes I will to start!

#42 6 years ago

I'm sure he's a great guy and all (don't you have to be to be on Pinside?), but that's no way to advertise and sell a product IMO. There's a reason why all those one price car dealerships (other than Carmax which is still a ripoff IMO), don't survive.

I bet he would have more luck if he priced it at $1,050 and after negotiations ended up at $875. People expect to bargain on CL. It's just part of it. Also, most people don't realize that it's a solid price at $875 as most people out there aren't Pinsiders and despite what he says in his add, they will still negotiate. Why not just expect that from the get go?

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from derek533:

great guy and all (don't you have to be to be on Pinside?)

Thank god, that's not true either, otherwise I'd probably be out in the cold.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from derek533:

Why not just expect that from the get go?

Negotiation is a game. He knows that people expect to play that game, and he knows his rock bottom price. The wording of his ad displays that he knows some will want to play the negotiation game. What he is saying is, if you want to play games: this is my rock bottom figure with the game play and this is my figure without the game playing. It's a fairly honest, but unusual presentation.

#45 6 years ago

The worst part of the ad is his use of the word "Lemme" and his "lol" at himself. Those two things in and of themselves would prevent me from wanting to look at the machine.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from derek533:

I'm sure he's a great guy and all (don't you have to be to be on Pinside?), but that's no way to advertise and sell a product IMO. There's a reason why all those one price car dealerships (other than Carmax which is still a ripoff IMO), don't survive.
I bet he would have more luck if he priced it at $1,050 and after negotiations ended up at $875. People expect to bargain on CL. It's just part of it. Also, most people don't realize that it's a solid price at $875 as most people out there aren't Pinsiders and despite what he says in his add, they will still negotiate. Why not just expect that from the get go?

Because it is his machine and that isn't what he wants to do.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

The worst part of the ad is his use of the word "Lemme" and his "lol" at himself. Those two things in and of themselves would prevent me from wanting to look at the machine.

God, I wish there were more people like you....because I'd get a lot more games at cheap prices. =|

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Lemme tell you something, that ad is great. Lol.

#49 6 years ago
Quoted from derek533:

I bet he would have more luck if he priced it at $1,050 and after negotiations ended up at $875.

Love the the price, the game (*) and the way the add is written. Price is fair and I would actually buy it if I were closer. No problem at all with his wording. Kind of saying, I will let that game go, but not to the usual scumbags. I do the same.

(*) with an alternative translite this game is transfigured.

Post edited by jlm33: I removed my last comments as the thread title has been edited... thanks OP !

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Lol you're funny. It wouldn't prevent me from buying a game. I'm looking at buying a game, not living with the seller.

There are 87 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside