4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 104 posts
  • 56 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

prostitute.jpg
    lowball or troll.jpg
    _ofcSpc.jpg

There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 4 years ago

Question. How should a seller respond to low ball offers from items posted on Craigslist. I'm not talking about an offer where it could be considered on the low end range yet realistic. I have a NIB pin listed for $5000 and someone offered $3500; fyi the game is IM VE. A polite response would be "Thank you for the offer but I have to respectfully decline." A less than polite offer would be "Your mother." I chose a third option which was to ignore it and a fourth option would be to counter. I don't mind the guy who keeps offering $2800 for my TRS that I have listed for $3500. $3500 for as NIB IM? That seems insulting. Thank you for allowing me to vent.

#2 4 years ago

Yeah, its tough, you always get those guys. I find a "thanks but no thanks" is always best. You never know if they will have a game you want to buy someday.

#3 4 years ago

I always go with the tgird option

#4 4 years ago

Raise price to 7k and maybe you get 5k offer

#5 4 years ago

Personally, I always offer lower than the asking price because:
    1) I want a bargain.
    2) I expect the seller lists a high price anyway to leave wiggle room.

That said, you can either make a counter-offer:

"Sorry, I'm not willing to go x, but I could go y"

Or the flat refusal:

"Sorry, I'm not willing to go that low."

I'm sure however way you put it, the fellow will get the message. Either he's a tire kicker looking for bargains and will go on his merry way once he finds out no bargains are to be had, or he's actually interested and will offer a higher price knowing that you're a bit more firm on your list price.

#6 4 years ago

The polite response. I really hate to hang, waiting for answers on other things not related to pinball right now as a matter of fact. A simple reply of 'no thanks' pr 'not interested' will do. Just ignoring, well, kind of makes that person more the jerk.

#7 4 years ago

this would be a funny email response

_ofcSpc.jpg

#8 4 years ago

I always just try to keep those responses simple, polite, and avoid burning bridges. Some of the Craigslist buyers may have no idea how much pins are worth. Look at how ridiculously some are priced by sellers, and I expect them to have more knowledge than buyers. Like said above, you never know if they will be selling one you want to buy later on.

#9 4 years ago

Depends upon how the offer was received. Did they respond via email such as will you take x? if they didn't include contact info (i.e. Name, Phone #), then do not respond, they are simply fishing for your email address.

#10 4 years ago

Place the word "firm" in your ad or say "Don't waste your time or mine with an offer below X dollars".

#11 4 years ago

Yeah I always respond with a "I appreciate the offer but need to at least get X amount for it"

#12 4 years ago

Just tell Choggard to shove it!

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Place the word "firm" in your ad or say "Don't waste your time or mine with an offer below X dollars".

I hate the word firm in an ad. People like to think they got a deal.

But if you wrote do not offer less than X why would anyone offer more. I always put a price on my game that I think is the top end and take the first offer I feel comfortable with.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from leesparts:

Depends upon how the offer was received. Did they respond via email such as will you take x? if they didn't include contact info (i.e. Name, Phone #), then do not respond, they are simply fishing for your email address.

I don't think that should have a bearing on whether or not you respond. Some folks are simply cautious with their personal information. The Internet is the modern wild, wild west, after all.

If you respond, they can't get your email address anyway--the messages are funneled through craigslist's servers with the auto-generated craigslist addresses (unless, of course, you disable that feature in your ad).

#15 4 years ago

My Momma taught me that if you don't have anything nice to say, say nothing at all.

I tend to ignore the offers(must have been caught in the spam filter)

There is one local flipper that always sends a stupid low offer and says he will pick it up tomorrow.
    That being said, I had an ad on CR recently and added the phrase "please don't waste my time with low ball offers - you know who you are"

Felt a bit like a prick for doing so, but it worked.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from jmountjoy111:

I hate the word firm in an ad. People like to think they got a deal.
    But if you wrote do not offer less than X why would anyone offer more. I always put a price on my game that I think is the top end and take the first offer I feel comfortable with.

there's another section on craigslist that uses "firm" a lot

#17 4 years ago

Craigslist brings out some pretty strange folk. I have been lowballed and even offered guns and other weird shit for trade. I usually ignore and in my post I will ad a disclaimer-due to spam, please leave a contact number if interested. This at least limits people that are not serious.

lowball or troll.jpg
    #18 4 years ago

I wouldn't reply with an insult. I've had times where someone would low ball me on an item just to see where I stood and after talking with them we would actually come up with an agreement on a fair price. No way that happens if I throw insults.

#19 4 years ago

Lowball offers don't get a response, plain and simple.

#20 4 years ago

When selling arcade items, if I receive an unreasonably low *but not clearly trolling* offer, I usually respond and say "The lowest I'll take at this time is X." Usually X is about 5-10% more than my actual rock-bottom price.

#21 4 years ago

I have a really nice Whirlwind for trade.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

My first thought also. I'd venture a guess it's him.

#23 4 years ago

Pinmister: I was once offered the choice of a handful of items, including a world-war-something rifle or a human skull for a pin I put on kijiji (Canadian version of craig's list). I politely declined.

#24 4 years ago

I had a guy today make me take some pictures for him, and then offer me $600 for a Jokerz. When I told him I thought my price was fair, I got the old "I'll be in touch".

If you're trying to stumble on a deal, fine I get it. But don't make the seller put in work before you put in your lowball.

#25 4 years ago

Thankfully lately I have not been grumpy. I just thank them for looking. SO far Everyone has not responded with higher offers. Just a bunch of people fishing for deals

#26 4 years ago

List a game for $3000, they offer $2000. I say $4000 and you got a deal!

#27 4 years ago

does anyone here think 7 k for a Spiderman Black is a lowball offer ?

#28 4 years ago

It seems nobody understands the ART of craigslist negotiating. I ALWAYS offer a low price on craigslist. It doesnt mean i woun't offer more, it is just is to get the ball rolling. If someone says a pin that i want is $5,000. I'll offer $3800 (a somewhat reasonable offer). If they didn't put firm on the price i assume there is room to negotiate. What if i offered $4500 to start and they accepted? I'd wonder if i could have gotten it for $4,000. Not responding or saying no would simply lose you a serious buyer who wants the pin. I'm the buyer. I want the best price possible. If you don't want to negotiate put FIRM, then i woun't waste my time if your not priced right.

#29 4 years ago
    Quoted from madtown:

It seems nobody understands the ART of craigslist negotiating.

You're right about it being an art. You also have to keep in mind that not every seller will handle messages on a first-come, first-served basis. Some will simply cherry pick the highest offers that they see roll in.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

does anyone here think 7 k for a spiderman Black is a lowball offer ?

No I don't think so. The market is more stale than a loaf of bread sitting out for a month. High end pins are taking a hit because of the new releases, etc. I wanted a Black Spiderman for some time and then I came to the realization that it is just a cosmetic difference with no difference in features or the way it plays. I would now rather get a limited web-rail edition. There is a Black Spiderman on my local cl and he originally was asking $9000. He is now at $7500 and it has been sitting for weeks. The market will indicate what a pin is worth.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from madtown:

It seems nobody understands the ART of craigslist negotiating. I ALWAYS offer a low price on craigslist. It doesnt mean i woun't offer more, it is just is to get the ball rolling. If someone says a pin that i want is $5,000. I'll offer $3800 (a somewhat reasonable offer)

Hell yeah, I always start low on craigslist.

Some of my 'low ball' offers that were accepted:

$300 for a non working space jam
    $500 for a non working maverick
    $1200 for a BSD
    $4k for a HUO LOTR
    $3000 for a TZ
    $3200 for a HUO TSPP

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

$300 for a non working Space Jam
    $500 for a non working Maverick
    $1200 for a BSD
    $4k for a HUO LOTR
    $3000 for a TZ
    $3200 for a HUO TSPP

I'd like a $3000 TZ please.

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from madtown:

It seems nobody understands the ART of craigslist negotiating. I ALWAYS offer a low price on craigslist. It doesnt mean i woun't offer more, it is just is to get the ball rolling. If someone says a pin that i want is $5,000. I'll offer $3800 (a somewhat reasonable offer). If they didn't put firm on the price i assume there is room to negotiate. What if i offered $4500 to start and they accepted? I'd wonder if i could have gotten it for $4,000. Not responding or saying no would simply lose you a serious buyer who wants the pin. I'm the buyer. I want the best price possible. If you don't want to negotiate put FIRM, then i woun't waste my time if your not priced right.

Everybody here assumes that both parties know exactly what might be considered a lowball offer. Maybe in this case you feel your somewhat reasonable $3800 offer is categorized as a lowball offer. Someone said earlier "lowball offers get no response". Which I think is really assuming a lot and being rude. Could you imaging what might happen if this were a face-to-face contact, such as being ignored at an automobile dealership? People don't put the number in the ad "X is the lowball offer and if you suggest anything below this I'm not going to deal with you at all." Negotiation often seems more a stupid charade than art.

Of course if I put the word FIRM in, then you get folks that say they won't deal with you either, because they expect to play some sort of game. So then I am supposed to make the price higher and chase away another category of buyer just so I have room to play the game? It's expected. I guess that's how a lot of folks do it. I think it's ridiculous, there really seems to be no perfect solution either.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

I think it's ridiculous, there really seems to be no perfect solution either

Your are right. Its just whatever works for you. If you want to put FIRM on an ad and just wait for that one person to come that absolutely has to have your machine then that works. If you want to price high and do the dance that's cool too.

Ill tell you what gets more than anything about craigslist though is not being responded to. Not necessarily for lowball offers but in general. If your item is sold then take the ad down! lol.

#35 4 years ago
    Quoted from madtown:

here is the problem though. almost 100% of the people i have encountered on CL do not respond to negotiating. I list 5, they offer 38, I counter and hear crickets.

#36 4 years ago

I'm polite to any real offer.

I provide a link to many detailed pictures (saves a ton of back & forth - you know people are going to want good pictures).

When the game is sold, I send everyone who inquired notice that it is gone. That way I don't get further phone calls 2 weeks later.

#37 4 years ago

I don't mind low balls, they are more of a time waster though, which is why I get tired of them. I suppose if someone Is desperate to sell they could take it....but if you have the money for a pin....why would you be desperate.

Heck I have put up a game I thought about selling, didn't get any takers, and took the ad down after a couple weeks. Still may have the game 2 years later (without trying to sell it). The games I have i like, only once and a while do I get a whim to sell one. I won't be giving it away, I will just keep and play it.

But deal hunters track this I think...."hey Greg you still have that game? If so will you take (insert lowball here)". Many times I have added stuff to the game since....like mirror blades, sound, shaker, led's, etc......price just went up

Or I don't even want to sell it any more. ,most of my games sell by word of mouth or here on Pinside. Don't hardly even look at CL any more.

#38 4 years ago

If I receive a low ball, I just bring down my price to a level I am still comfortable with. If they don't want it, they won't respond. Pretty simple. Don't be offended by low balls, just be polite. I just like the people who want 4k for a nonworking zizzle. Love that stuff. Oh and 2500 for a HE fireball haha

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from edwinpblue:

Question. How should a seller respond to low ball offers from items posted on Craigslist. I'm not talking about an offer where it could be considered on the low end range yet realistic. I have a NIB pin listed for $5000 and someone offered $3500; fyi the game is IM VE. A polite response would be "Thank you for the offer but I have to respectfully decline." A less than polite offer would be "Your mother." I chose a third option which was to ignore it and a fourth option would be to counter. I don't mind the guy who keeps offering $2800 for my TRS that I have listed for $3500. $3500 for as NIB IM? That seems insulting. Thank you for allowing me to vent.

I would say you probably started $500 too high and they started $500 too low, but given your asking price I have found you get more low ball offers. A more realistic asking price that is slightly high will get more realistic offers that are inline or just slightly low.

I would bet if you had it priced and $4500 then the same person may have been offering $4000 and then you may have been able to work something out.

Clist is a joke form my experience and often there are so many flippers, scammers, email collectors that it is not work it for either buying or selling.

#40 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

does anyone here think 7 k for a spiderman Black is a lowball offer ?

In general, I don't respond to lowball offers. Nothing really to be gained by it. What Pinfever is referring to is that he made an offer, then came back 2 weeks later with an offer $500 lower. Sorry, but that kinda offended me. Maybe I'm just too sensitive.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonB:

Now that is funny stuff. And possibly true since the OP in in Michigan.

#42 4 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I'm polite to any real offer.
    I provide a link to many detailed pictures (saves a ton of back & forth - you know people are going to want good pictures).
    When the game is sold, I send everyone who inquired notice that it is gone. That way I don't get further phone calls 2 weeks later.

Yeah, my biggest pet peeve with CL is when the seller never responds. As a seller I will at least decline a bad offer with my reason, and tell everyone if the unit sold.

#43 4 years ago

There's no right answer, just how each individual wants to handle it. I for one don't like offers, low ball or not. Frankly, I find it rude if the first thing that comes out of your mouth is "Would you take....", which is vastly different from "Hi, my name is Chuck and I live about 5 minutes away. If you don't sell it for your asking price, I'd be willing to go $400". Even more rude are those dudes that offer less, you say OK, they come and look and pass.

If I'm selling something and asking for $500 and within a short time frame I get a lot of inquires, I know I'll sell it. If it's a stupid offer like "Would you take $100 CASH!!!!????" I'll usually ignore.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from maddog14:

here is the problem though. almost 100% of the people i have encountered on CL do not respond to negotiating. I list 5, they offer 38, I counter and hear crickets.

If they want your pin and have a clue they will! That simply means they were a flipper seeing if they can lowball you. You'll get that in everything. I can list a pinball for FREE here and someone will ask for free shipping. I just don't respond with the knowledge that they are just looking to make a buck but woun't be doing it from me.

#45 4 years ago

To flip that around, how about this. I think it was a Captain Fantastic list on Clist; For sale 1$, OBO, no low ball offers. I guess $0.50 would be a low ball then.

#46 4 years ago
    Quoted from slgerber:

To flip that around, how about this. I think it was a Captain Fantastic list on Clist; For sale 1$, OBO, no low ball offers. I guess $0.50 would be a low ball then.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from toddsvec:

There's no right answer, just how each individual wants to handle it. I for one don't like offers, low ball or not. Frankly, I find it rude if the first thing that comes out of your mouth is "Would you take....", which is vastly different from "Hi, my name is Chuck and I live about 5 minutes away. If you don't sell it for your asking price, I'd be willing to go $400". Even more rude are those dudes that offer less, you say OK, they come and look and pass.
    If I'm selling something and asking for $500 and within a short time frame I get a lot of inquires, I know I'll sell it. If it's a stupid offer like "Would you take $100 CASH!!!!????" I'll usually ignore.

Yeah, maybe if it's the first thing out of their mouth. But that's a bit of a stretch. It is not rude to merely ask the question, nor would it be rude for you to say no.

#48 4 years ago

I once bought some video arcade machines from a guy and when I was picking them up, I saw a 2004 stern sitting there. I told him I'd give him $800 for it and he said he wanted to keep it. I called him a month or so later to see what he had and he said he'd now take that $650 offer I gave him a month ago.

Needless to say, I got a great game at a great price.

I never feel offended by a lowball offer. Sometimes that's all the money people can afford. Sometimes they are just too cheap to own what I am selling. I want to close deals.

And when on the buying side, I often offer less than half what they are asking. I just lay it out that I'm buying for resale and I list off some parts costs and the few hours of work I'll have to do in order to sell it. Then I tell them that I'll also list it on CL for $x, but I'll probably end up taking about 3/4 what I'm asking if someone has the cash in hand.

People are reasonable when you are reasonable. If someone is afraid that I'm going to make a few hundred off "their" machine, I don't need to be giving them the money I make by selling someone else's machine at a profit.

When someone lowballs me, I just say what the lowest I'll go and then tell them that they don't get warranty, they don't get consultation and if they want me to fix it, they pay shop rate. There's really nothing to get huffy and offended about. A lot of times I'll just say they should probably just look for a different machine.... and then they ask me where to find one.

Everyone wants a good deal.. many only settle on a great deal. Who am I to judge that which I do?

#49 4 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Firm could work.

The other one will just guarantee you wont get above X dollars also

#50 4 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

It is not rude to merely ask the question, nor would it be rude for you to say no.

Which is why I said *I* find it rude, if it's the first thing out of their mouth. My opinion. They've not seen the WHATEVER, asked any questions about it, or even pleasantly said hello. They just want a lower price.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.95
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 8.99
    Lighting - Other
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 239.99
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 59.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    There are 104 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside