cans-coke_gardener_women.jpeg
_SpinOut.jpg
original.png
pinballparts.jpg
1366236842_UpInSmokestepvanfrontview.jpg
gadget1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noobee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 9 years ago

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my new arrival, a spin out I picked up off of Craigslist.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-arrival-spin-out

As soon as I got it home I began the restoration. I started with the playfield. As of yesterday, I had almost completed the touch ups.

image.jpgimage.jpg

So far so good. Then, yesterday evening I get a phone call from the former husband of the woman I purchased the game from. She apparently sold it with out his permission and now he wants the game back. He is filing a police report, and has a lawyer involved.

Awesome, just awesome.

I spent 225 for the game, and have already purchased about 75 dollars worth of parts for it.

I share this, I guess just to reiterate that you can't be too careful when purchasing anything off of Craigslist. If anyone has any advice for me, the innocent victim, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks, and beware of Craigslist, people suck.

#12 9 years ago

It's his ex wife, I don't know if that makes any difference.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

Why would you even return there phone call. It's there prob not yours.

All I did was answer the phone.

#19 9 years ago

Apparently it does have sentimental value, according to this yahoo, he was awarded the game by winning a pinball tournament...

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

This is why I always write up a bill of sale and have the seller sign it whenever I buy a game. Might not hold up in court, but at least it's something.

That is a good suggestion. I will do that from now on.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

It's a civil dispute, police don't get involved in those, so im sure he's trying to scare you into giving him back the pin. Block his number, all is good.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking at first. My concern was if they treated this as a case of receiving stolen property, or something like that. I don't know about any of this stuff. It seems easy for people to say don't worry about it, but that's easier to say if it's not happening to you.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

At the end of the day, I'd put myself in his shoes. If the pin means something to him, my advice is to make a friend from this rather than an enemy. My .02.

Hmmm... I find it interesting that you are in the minority with your point of view. I am actually somewhat conflicted on this one. Do I assume that this guy is just a jerk trying to crash my buzz, or like you say, try to put myself in his shoes and put some validity into what he is telling me.

I know I will get hammered by most, based on the majority of the responses, but whatever...

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You have to follow your own moral compass here. No forum full of strangers will be able to help you sleep at night.

Touché!

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

Sounds like me you want to give it back .... I wouldn't .... But you probably will.

I don't really understand the tenor of your comment, but I have not made any decisions as to what I am going to do, to be honest with you. I am going to wait and see how it plays out. Probably won't be too anxious to answer or return phone calls right away, however...

#57 9 years ago

Thanks for that. It seems pretty clear from reading that, what my legal rights are.

#89 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I ran across this CL ad today and it sounded goofy and it also sounded like it might be your guy. Is it?
dayton.craigslist.org link

Wow, that's my guy... Shit. And no, she was not hot.

#98 9 years ago

Totally embarrassed to admit it, I'm a total idiot. That's how he got my number. I responded to the add. Just shoot me now and put me out of my stupid embarrassed misery.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

So did you get the manual and schematics?
Sorry couldn't resist....

Nice....

#116 9 years ago

He wasn't completely rude, my issue is that his suggestion was that I should give the game back to him and I would have to go after his ex wife for my money back. That seems wacked to me.

#126 9 years ago

I was reading the latest responses just now when the door bell rang. I just about jumped out of my shorts!

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

Ok, you wouldn't really consider that... would you?

Of course not.

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

OP >> time to start looking for a big bag of coke, some nudey pics, or some cash hidden in the game.
report back with results.

Sorry, I know if I had found something that this thread would really blow up, but no such luck. I think I looked everywhere there could be anything. Not really too many places to hide stuff.

#150 9 years ago

15 years in the home according to the woman I bought it from...

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

May I ask the OP, have you spoken to his wife about the situation?

No, I really don't want to deal with either of the two right now, but I know this is not over...

#204 9 years ago
Quoted from acpinlover12:

Those ads aren't helping the OP. This guy sees them and he just gets more pissed and makes OPs life that much harder.

Thanks for that acpinlover12. I never thought it would come to this when I posted. Just naive I guess...

#220 9 years ago

There seems to be a misconception here, that this guy was rude and lost his temper, that is not the case and I never characterized it as such. I stated that he was getting a lawyer involved and that he was going to file a police report. I also stated that he was indicating that I should just give him his game back and that I would have to go to his ex for my money back. That didn't make much sense to me. If you read all of my posts, that is what I said. It is interesting how things can get blown out of proportion.

I don't know if I believe this guy or not, but if his story is true, and it may be, the game has some sentimental value to him. I'm sure he is pissed off at his ex, but he didn't get belligerent with me. I have two issues. One is that he got my number on false pretense and two, I'm just really bummed because this situation is making it hard for me to enjoy what I do most, which is to take an old machine and bring it back to life.

By the way, the asking price of the game was 300 and I talked the seller down to 225. I probably got a bit of a deal because the game turned out to be in pretty good shape after I gave it a thorough inspection.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider noobee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craigslist-disaster?tu=noobee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.