_SpinOut.jpg
original.png
pinballparts.jpg
1366236842_UpInSmokestepvanfrontview.jpg
gadget1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

I just emailed him saying I didn't buy it but I'm interested in the schematics and manual

beat me to it

#102 9 years ago

After tomorrow, he will have heard from others who "bought" that machine.

#103 9 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

Totally embarrassed to admit it, I'm a total idiot. That's how he got my number. I responded to the add. Just shoot me now and put me out of my stupid embarrassed misery.

Oh my gosh! That's hysterical. As others have said, make his lawyer contact you over the $200 game.

#104 9 years ago

Yes, yes he will.... "I just wanted the schematics man..."

#105 9 years ago

So did you get the manual and schematics?
Sorry couldn't resist....
I live just a couple miles from s. Lyon too, I could give you the schematic!

#106 9 years ago

People suck. Sorry this is harshing the buzz on a new game. On the positive side, looks like it's cleaning up real nice.

#107 9 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

So did you get the manual and schematics?
Sorry couldn't resist....

Nice....

#108 9 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

LMK if that is your game in the pics as I might ask him if he will sell me the Jungle King for $225.00

The images in the ad aren't "real". They were pulled from various places online.

#109 9 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

happen to be hanging with an attorney buddy. He says the dude needs to work it out with his old lady, whether with the cops or court or whatever. You were a good,faith purchaser - he has no right to take it back from you. If you want to be a swell guy sell it back to him with some extra for your trouble.

Yep.BFP for value. bona fide purchaser for value. No reason to suspect any issue. Should be clear. Let him take you to small claims .

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from beatmaster:

you don't have to worry, someone placed an add, you saw it, both agreed, you bought it, it's yours.

If someone sells you something that's not theirs to sell, while you haven't committed a crime, you aren't entitled to keep what you bought either.

If for any reason she wasn't legally allowed to sell the machine, which can happen during a divorce, legally he might have to give the machine back if it goes that far. Probably won't for $250 but it's not that simple.

#111 9 years ago

I would print out that ad if it's still there. It's an acknowledgment by him that you actually paid for the game.

#112 9 years ago
Quoted from acpinlover12:

If someone sells you something that's not theirs to sell, while you haven't committed a crime, you aren't entitled to keep what you bought either.
If for any reason she wasn't legally allowed to sell the machine, which can happen during a divorce, legally he might have to give the machine back if it goes that far. Probably won't for $250 but it's not that simple.

While all you say is true, it would still require a court to determine if the item was considered stolen property.

Since the ex-husband started so aggressively, I recommend that the buyer stops communicating with the him. Force him to get lawyers involved. If the courts do get involved, the buyer will find out soon enough.

Until the courts get involved, the buyer should tell that guy to stick it.

Marcus

#113 9 years ago

Are you sure dude is legit? What if this a clever way to get the good CL deals he missed out on?

#114 9 years ago

If this joker keeps bugging you, be sure and file a complaint with the police.
http://www.ehow.com/how_7595518_file-police-harassment-report.html
After that if he calls again, just be sure and tell him he's been reported.

#115 9 years ago

Wow, Disaster is an understatement. Way too many scenarios of what could be happening here. Could be trying to get an address for theft, could be the dude just claims to be the previous owner and trying to force you to sell him the game he wants, could be getting involved in a nasty divorce. I agree, if he was completely rude to you, I'd avoid all further contact. If he was nice and willign to pay you for your time and work, that might be a different story.

#116 9 years ago

He wasn't completely rude, my issue is that his suggestion was that I should give the game back to him and I would have to go after his ex wife for my money back. That seems wacked to me.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

my issue is that his suggestion was that I should give the game back to him and I would have to go after his ex wife for my money back. That seems wacked to me.

Dude, that's COMPLETELY WACK! Like others have said, cut off all communication with this guy.

#118 9 years ago

This guy called me also asking if I bought it or knew who did. He seemed to have an attitude so I just blew him off. He really wants it for some reason. Maybe you should look real close to make sure nothing interesting is hidden in it!

#119 9 years ago

This is a great way to get the cl deals that I missed. I will have to start using the method.
Ignore this joker...

#120 9 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

He wasn't completely rude, my issue is that his suggestion was that I should give the game back to him and I would have to go after his ex wife for my money back. That seems wacked to me.

Yeah, that would be a no go for sure, way too suspicious. That reaches the point where its not your problem. That's just my opinion.

#121 9 years ago

tell him you re-sold machine to some guy named kevin k in mich

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from michiganpinball:

This guy called me also asking if I bought it or knew who did. He seemed to have an attitude so I just blew him off. He really wants it for some reason. Maybe you should look real close to make sure nothing interesting is hidden in it!

Maybe there's a hidden compartment

It's kind of interesting how this guy is calling around to various arcade/pinball shops looking for this. He sure is putting in a fair amount of leg work to try to track this pin down.

I wonder if this thread will pop up in his search.

#123 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Maybe there's a hidden compartment
It's kind of interesting how this guy is calling around to various arcade/pinball shops looking for this. He sure is putting in a fair amount of leg work to try to track this pin down.

+1. Same thought I had.

#124 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Jesus, when he shows up it'll be the best thread ever. 'Favorite' this thing now.

#125 9 years ago

Im not a lawyer, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week, so... I would set up a gmail account, and if the person calls you back. Tell him that for your protection that you only want communication through email and provide him with the new gmail email address. And that his laywer can contact you through that also. and go from there.

its not always as easy as many on here would say it is. I had a guy come and buy a game once, played it, liked it, then a couple months later said it didnt work and that he expected me to fix it. I reminded him that it was sold as is and that he inspected it. He took me to small claims court and sued for more than what he even paid for the game. Long story short, he actually won. The judge said that since he didnt sign anything stating that it was as-is that he was in the right. I tried to argue that there was also nothing stating that it came with a warranty and that the game was 20 years old, so there was no way to even imply a warranty. Needless to say, the guy got all his money back and got to keep the game. SO just cover you ass and make everything go through email so you can print it out as proof

troy

#126 9 years ago

I was reading the latest responses just now when the door bell rang. I just about jumped out of my shorts!

#127 9 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

its not always as easy as many on here would say it is. I had a guy come and buy a game once, played it, liked it, then a couple months later said it didnt work and that he expected me to fix it. I reminded him that it was sold as is and that he inspected it. He took me to small claims court and sued for more than what he even paid for the game. Long story short, he actually won. The judge said that since he didnt sign anything stating that it was as-is that he was in the right. I tried to argue that there was also nothing stating that it came with a warranty and that the game was 20 years old, so there was no way to even imply a warranty. Needless to say, the guy got all his money back and got to keep the game. SO just cover you ass and make everything go through email so you can print it out as proof
troy

That's insane.

#128 9 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

Ok, you wouldn't really consider that... would you?

After hearing more about this situation, and this person, I would suggest you absolutely cut off any verbal conversation and mention to him via email that you will be speaking with your lawyer as well. Should be enough for him to either put up or shut up.

I'd call it a bluff, make him show his hand.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

Ok, you wouldn't really consider that... would you?

Of course not.

#130 9 years ago

Now let's discuss where the money could be hidden in the machine.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

Taped under the cabinet body's neck. Or, hidden in a space in the neck.

I don't think there are too many places to hide things in a cabinet once it's been stripped down for restoration, unless someone went through the trouble of adding something extra.

#132 9 years ago

I would think unless the wife gets charged with selling stolen property then you can't be charged for possessing it. It's under 1k in value so it's likely small claims if it went that far. I wouldn't give it back without a court order.

You could also tell him you were working on it when the leg broke and it fell on you and you will be suing him for medical bills and pain and suffering lol.

#133 9 years ago

I'm totally not a lawyer, but I would assume one factor would be if a divorce was finalized or not. If they were still married at the time of sale, I assume the husband is up a creek. ie - she didn't sell his table - she sold their table. I could see him having a case of sorts if the divorce was finalized, but even then the OP shouldn't be in any legal trouble, and the effort it would take for the husband to get the table back through legal channels would greatly outweigh the value of the table.

I wouldn't sweat it. Limit contact, and if the guy is an ass, force him to spend the money to proceed.

#134 9 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

I'm assuming this is like every other EM I've ever seen inside and there is a board in the cab where the relays are. It has a gap under the board that I've lost a few screws under. That's my guess.

#135 9 years ago

OP >> time to start looking for a big bag of coke, some nudey pics, or some cash hidden in the game.

report back with results.

#136 9 years ago

do the posts & plastics melt in water ?

#137 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

OP >> time to start looking for a big bag of coke, some nudey pics, or some cash hidden in the game.
report back with results.

Sorry, I know if I had found something that this thread would really blow up, but no such luck. I think I looked everywhere there could be anything. Not really too many places to hide stuff.

#138 9 years ago

Do NOT lick the machine!

On the other hand: Maybe you should try licking the machine! The previous owner seems too be pretty delusional, so you could be in for a pretty good trip, if you try. Trippin' (silver)balls!

#139 9 years ago

maybe him and his buddy Chong picked it up from a fabric manufacturer in Mexico.

#140 9 years ago

I mean if the guy really wants the game back he should buy it back from you

original price
gas and time for you
all the parts you bought
and a inconvenience fee.

not your problem you didnt know the wife or their problems

if they cant agree to these terms which seems very fair to me, then move on.

thats a terrible situation but you should be compensated if the buyer wants the game back.

#141 9 years ago

Give him a fair shot at getting it back by putting it in the PATZ auction. We will all bid on it.

#142 9 years ago

Whatever he is looking for might be in the back box? There has got to be more to this than what the guy is claiming.

No more contact with this guy!!!

#143 9 years ago

Wow. Just crazy. A fellow KISS dealer of mine was set up at a convention. There was one of those reality TV appraisal shows there and a guy brought in a Gene Simmons Punisher Bass. Got it appraised on TV walked directly over to my friends table and sold it for a fraction. About a wek later he gets a call from the guys parent/ guardian whatever, guy is mentally certified and cannot make any of these decisions without guardian or whatever. He gave it back and got his money back. We all think he would have lost.

#144 9 years ago

I would personally hide it. Next time they contact you tell them it is gone. Sold. Stolen. Sold for 10 bucks to a person you have never seen before. Tell them it was beyond fixing and you threw it away.

#145 9 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

maybe him and his buddy Chong picked it up from a fabric manufacturer in Mexico.

That's the first thing I thought of too haha.

1366236842_UpInSmokestepvanfrontview.jpg1366236842_UpInSmokestepvanfrontview.jpg
#146 9 years ago

I feel bad for the guy who got his game stolen by his ex.

Just like when you buy a stolen car with an altered title, you don't get to keep the car, and you don't get reimbursed for your purchase price nor all the new parts you installed after you bought it.

#147 9 years ago

Hey!! This thread would make a great reality show called? What else "Craigslist Disasters" NOT

#148 9 years ago

There's no crime here it's a civil matter between the wife and him. She's responsible for paying him not you.

#149 9 years ago

I thought it was a pretty greasy way to get the buyer's phone number, by posting a false CL add. I'm curious how long the couple has been divorced, how long the machine was at the ex wife's house, and if there is any proof that he really is the rightful owner. Right now it's just the word of some guy who has not come off as an honest person.

#150 9 years ago

15 years in the home according to the woman I bought it from...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craigslist-disaster/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.