Topic Stats

• 271 posts
  • 139 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Xerico
  • Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 14 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

giraffe-1.jpg
pics_or_it_didnt_happen.jpg
crossdresser.jpg
homer-head-explode-1.gif
ju3ti.jpg
image.jpg
cans-coke_gardener_women.jpeg
_SpinOut.jpg
original.png
pinballparts.jpg
1366236842_UpInSmokestepvanfrontview.jpg
gadget1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 4 years ago

could be a scam to try to get your address to rob you later. Who knows what people will do, especially on CL. If legit and you decide to give it back, don't let them in your house at the very least.

If it were me I'd call the police and get some advice from somebody who's in the know, not a bunch of amateurs on pinside. My 2 cents...

#52 4 years ago
Quoted from JBK:

No crime was committed. Seriously, don't sweat it; do not talk to them again.

+1
Do this. If they call again file a complaint with local pd and get a restraining order against them.
Put it back in their court.
What ever you do, DO NOT GIVE THE GAME BACK.
You paid for it fair and square.
And the pinball tournament story. I call bs.

#53 4 years ago

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/good+faith

Read the paragraph on the non merchant scenario.

#54 4 years ago

Actually I have been on the other side of this one. When I got divorced my ex locked me out of the house with all he games inside. Despite the court order not to remove anything she started selling games off. I reported it to cops and court but they really did not care in the least. They told me it was a civil issue as they belonged to her as well and it would come out in settlement. Eventually I was able to get in and take enough to get 50% of value of what was there. Bottom line is that this is between them and nothing they would be able to do with you. I would guess he is just upset at having stuff sold out from under him - I know I was but didn't do anything like he has. Divorce makes people do some pretty silly stuff.

#55 4 years ago

People ruin everything.

That said - good luck (in all seriousness).

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from jasonp:

Sounds like me you want to give it back .... I wouldn't .... But you probably will.

I don't really understand the tenor of your comment, but I have not made any decisions as to what I am going to do, to be honest with you. I am going to wait and see how it plays out. Probably won't be too anxious to answer or return phone calls right away, however...

#57 4 years ago

Thanks for that. It seems pretty clear from reading that, what my legal rights are.

#58 4 years ago

Sounds like the guy decided to go the threat route first, rather than treating you like a person and explaining the situation. That would very much swing my reaction toward keeping it.

Though he might just be threatening his ex and not you.

You didn't do anything wrong, at the very least you should get compensation for the time and extra $$ you put into it. Charge more if they want it all reassembled. I wouldn't feel awful for keeping it but wouldn't feel awful giving it back either, as long as your extra efforts are compensated for.

#59 4 years ago

The guy is just "Saber rattling you, No crime was committed here. There is no way in hell he is going to invest in a attorney to get his $225 back. A good attorney will charge him $5k to even try to resolve this and to be honest most attorneys would look at him like he's stupid and broke and may not even take his case. Cut all ties and communication with them, when he finds out what it will really cost him to fight a losing battle he will go away. People always threaten with a attorney until they find out what it will really cost them.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sounds more like the "no remorse" category.

Basically, I was implying the seller would be SOL.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Basically, I was implying the seller would be SOL.

I think O-Din was referring to the remorseless ex-wife, which made me chuckle

#62 4 years ago

I don't recall playing Spin Out but it looks really cool. Hope all works out

#63 4 years ago

It's unfortunate that he came out "guns blazing." I could much more sympathize with his position if he calmly explained the situation and how much the game meant to him. He came at you like a dick so let him reap what he sows!

He may learn a life lesson...dont be a dick!
image.jpg

#64 4 years ago

So the wife sells his game, then gives him your phone number?

#65 4 years ago

If he and his wife are on bad terms, tell him you paid 800 to his wife...and he can have
it back , as a puzzle

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

+1
Do this. If they call again file a complaint with local pd and get a restraining order against them.
Put it back in their court.
What ever you do, DO NOT GIVE THE GAME BACK.
You paid for it fair and square.
And the pinball tournament story. I call bs.

^^^This

And then if they call again, sue them for harassment

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

^^^This
And then if they call again, sue them for harassment

This might need some perspective: this is a $225 game. Any attorney actions by either side would swallow this up in the first hour.

If this individual wanting his pinball machine back persists, you might want to save yourself a lot of hassle and heartache. I would explain to him your position (out $75 and your time) and negotiate a reasonable price. Make "as is" a condition of return: I would not reassemble anything. Put all the parts/pieces/bits in a box and return them. Have him sign a release that absolves you from any further actions on his part. You can find these documents via a google search. Amend it as needed and then be done with it. How much is your time worth?

#68 4 years ago

Tell him you sold it...Case closed

#69 4 years ago

Something seems amiss here that Noone brought up....doesn't it seem strange that this guy has your phone number to call you in the first place? That would mean the so called ex gave him your number...why? If she supposedly sold this out from under him why should she cooperate and give him your personal info? Somethings not adding up...sounds like a shakedown to me. I wouldn't speak to either one again and block their numbers.

#70 4 years ago

Tuff one.....as said....what if it was you...then again....I wouldn't leave my pins in my wife's possession.....I've seen enough mad wife/smashed glass pics to know better...!!!.............Joey

#71 4 years ago

Just a heads up. About a week ago I got an email asking if I bought a spinout in ohio. I didn't obviously. Then then asked who else in the area bought games. I told them "like a 100 people." They got a bit pissed at me. But that's the truth. And then they told me why they wanted that info. I'm just glad I don't watch CL and I hate spinout. Because they seemed like they were on a witch hunt.

By the way, how did they find you?

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from Butch2099:

Tell him you sold it...Case closed

^^^.......BOO-YAA.....!!!..............Joey

#73 4 years ago

Stressful situation for sure. Smart thing for the other guy to do would have been to sweet talk right out of the gate. Of course, really smart thing would've been to not piss off the woman who had his machine. I do agree with a previous poster that there's no way you can let these people know where you live. Not sure I would give it back at all if someone was threatening to me right off the bat anyway.

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from cfh:

Just a heads up. About a week ago I got an email asking if I bought a spinout in ohio. I didn't obviously. Then then asked who else in the area bought games. I told them "like a 100 people." They got a bit pissed at me. But that's the truth. And then they told me why they wanted that info. I'm just glad I don't watch CL and I hate spinout. Because they seemed like they were on a witch hunt.
By the way, how did they find you?

Quoted from Spitfiren8:

I would cease any and all contact with these people, thats my advice!

I'm not a lawyer, but I would strongly recommend not returning any more of this guys phone calls. He has already said he will using a lawyer against you. Don't make it any easier on him by speaking over the phone. Make them put it into writing. End all verbal conversations. Don't respond to any letters or threats.

#75 4 years ago

Lots of good advice in this thread.

Game is yours. Ignore any future phone calls.

#76 4 years ago

IF the guy's story is true, he needs to take it up with his ex-wife, not with you.

#77 4 years ago

Not my area, but I'd definitely recommend keeping everything associated with the original transaction and log all subsequent communications. It will help to establish the good faith purchase.

It looks like you've been documenting your restoration, too. If you aren't attached to the machine and are willing to negotiate, I'd depart from the premise that if he can afford legal counsel, he can afford to pay a healthy premium for restoration services. I'd start with what you think your time is reasonably worth then triple it as a tax on obnoxious behavior.

Good luck!

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Lots of good advice in this thread.
Game is yours. Ignore any future phone calls.

Pretty much this because the dude came off as unreasonable. If you feel for him you could offer to sell it back for all cost plus extra for all the crap. Other option is to call the cops and let the other party know you are doing so. Being dishonest by saying you sold the game is pretty poor imo.

#79 4 years ago

Like pretty much everyone else, I wouldn't waste another second worrying about this guy.

#80 4 years ago

Good question on how he got your number. Put his number on ignore and forget about it.

Side story: Through CL I met this college kid who sold me a multi arcade machine. While there (house was massive like 15K square feet - parents going through divorce). Shows me this huge wine cellar which is pretty much all cleaned out. His Dad used to collect wine, expensive wines. During the divorce the Mom was pissed so posted a CL ad. A guy came who knew a lot about wines and bought almost the entire collection for 10K. Kid told me his Dad flipped when he found out. The collection was worth $100K plus. He laughed and said it was my Mom's revenge on him for stepping out. Dad wanted to retrieve them but the Mom said no way to contact him as she deleted the emails.

This shit happens a lot apparently. It stinks, but as the buyer you did nothing wrong. If someone can sell you something "as is" and "no returns". Buyer can do the same. Remember, many stories of people buying a painting or vase at a garage sale and it turns out to be worth $1M. It stinks, but sale is final.

#81 4 years ago

I agree w/Robbie

If dude brings up police & lawyers this early in the game he's a dick

Also this is suspicious too, trust neither one of those 2 "divorcees"

#82 4 years ago

If he's already mentioned a lawyer, do not talk to him again, just wait for his lawyer to contact you (which will be a bunch of b.s., as well, btw). You'll never hear from this guy again.

If you try to be nice and help the guy out, you're getting involved with a pretty nasty divorce. Not a good idea.

The guy got screwed if you believe the story... but it was his wife that did it, you did nothing wrong and have nothing to gain and a whole lot to lose if you get involved in any of this.

Just wait for his legal papers, he said he had a lawyer. That's your next step. Since he'll never actually send you papers this is all over and done.

#83 4 years ago

BTW my own story, a guy emailed me once and said he had a Monopoly for sale, $1000. I told him I'd come look at it, drove right over. When I got there, the whole thing seemed shady, it was a kid about 19 years old which didn't seem right. The machine was in good shape but was neglected had busted rings, etc. because it had been sitting in the garage for years. I pay the kid, and was loading it up, and he keeps acting funny, he eventually admits to me that it's his fathers and he's selling it while he's not home, to get money because they're kicking him out of the house.

Man I've never been so mad in all my life, I told the guy he was lucky I was feeling generous or I'd whip his ass all over the neighborhood, he started apologizing and crying.

Just tons of ridiculous drama, I'm glad he at least told me before I had it all the way on my truck, a situation like that I'm positive the cops would have been involved in.

I actually made him give me $10 for gas!

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my new arrival, a spin out I picked up off of Craigslist.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-arrival-spin-out
As soon as I got it home I began the restoration. I started with the playfield. As of yesterday, I had almost completed the touch ups.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
So far so good. Then, yesterday evening I get a phone call from the former husband of the woman I purchased the game from. She apparently sold it with out his permission and now he wants the game back. He is filing a police report, and has a lawyer involved.
Awesome, just awesome.
I spent 225 for the game, and have already purchased about 75 dollars worth of parts for it.
I share this, I guess just to reiterate that you can't be too careful when purchasing anything off of Craigslist. If anyone has any advice for me, the innocent victim, I'd be happy to hear it.
Thanks, and beware of Craigslist, people suck.

if you paid cash deny it's his if they cash your check say it is sold either way stop all work on game

#85 4 years ago

you don't have to worry, someone placed an add, you saw it, both agreed, you bought it, it's yours.

enjoy your game.

#86 4 years ago

I ran across this CL ad today and it sounded goofy and it also sounded like it might be your guy. Is it?

dayton.craigslist.org link

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

I ran across this CL ad today and it sounded goofy and it also sounded like it might be your guy. Is it?

You can't make this stuff up!!!

OP; was the woman hot? Asking for statistical purposes only.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

We should ALL call him and claim to be the buyer...

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Wow, that's my guy... Shit. And no, she was not hot.

#90 4 years ago

The game he posted doesn't really look like your game. Did he just google for spin out pics?

#91 4 years ago

Un-freaking-believable.

#92 4 years ago

LMK if that is your game in the pics as I might ask him if he will sell me the Jungle King for $225.00

#93 4 years ago

Delete this thread....

gadget1.jpg
#94 4 years ago

Just to piss him off, call the ex wife back and go pick up that Gottlieb "Jungle King for $150.00

#95 4 years ago

Keep your wits about you, and don't let your guard down. Could be a simple domestic dispute or maybe some new type of scam. It feels suspicious, and is filled with deception.

#96 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

We should ALL call him and claim to be the buyer...

I just emailed him saying I didn't buy it but I'm interested in the schematics and manual

#97 4 years ago

Just continue with what u r doing with the pinball and enjoy it.

#98 4 years ago

Totally embarrassed to admit it, I'm a total idiot. That's how he got my number. I responded to the add. Just shoot me now and put me out of my stupid embarrassed misery.

#99 4 years ago

You're fine then, he's just running his mouth trying to scare you.

#100 4 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

Totally embarrasses to admit it, I'm a total idiot. That's how he got my number. I responded to the add. Just shoot me now and put me out of my stupid embarrassed misery.

Don't fret, like post above forget about him and enjoy your new game. There's nothing he can do.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Machine - For Sale
Shelburne Falls, MA
$ 2.50
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 45.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9,099.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 64.00
$ 57.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
PinBoss Mods
$ 6.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside