_SpinOut.jpg
original.png
pinballparts.jpg
1366236842_UpInSmokestepvanfrontview.jpg
gadget1.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 9 years ago

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my new arrival, a spin out I picked up off of Craigslist.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-arrival-spin-out

As soon as I got it home I began the restoration. I started with the playfield. As of yesterday, I had almost completed the touch ups.

image.jpgimage.jpg

So far so good. Then, yesterday evening I get a phone call from the former husband of the woman I purchased the game from. She apparently sold it with out his permission and now he wants the game back. He is filing a police report, and has a lawyer involved.

Awesome, just awesome.

I spent 225 for the game, and have already purchased about 75 dollars worth of parts for it.

I share this, I guess just to reiterate that you can't be too careful when purchasing anything off of Craigslist. If anyone has any advice for me, the innocent victim, I'd be happy to hear it.

Thanks, and beware of Craigslist, people suck.

#2 9 years ago

I'd tell him he better go find another one with the $225 you paid for the game.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#3 9 years ago

Sounds like the easiest police case ever...wife sold machine, payment complete, case closed! Is he sueing his wife cuz it sounds like you are in the clear?

#4 9 years ago

Hires a lawyer for a $225 game? LOL, good luck with that. You did nothing wrong, don't sweat it, nothing will happen.

#5 9 years ago

Seems like the ex wife needs to buy him a replacement pin.

#6 9 years ago

They are probably going to tell you to give them more money and they won't sue. Joe

#7 9 years ago

I would cease any and all contact with these people, thats my advice!

#8 9 years ago

Yup. Sounds like his beef is with his ex-wife, who should now owe him $225... Maybe I am wrong...

#9 9 years ago

filing a police report for what no crime has been committed. if the guy wants the game he should pay for the parts and your time. Short of that....he can suck it.

#10 9 years ago

Why would you even return there phone call. It's there prob not yours.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my new arrival, a spin out I picked up off of Craigslist.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-arrival-spin-out
As soon as I got it home I began the restoration. I started with the playfield. As of yesterday, I had almost completed the touch ups.
image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)
So far so good. Then, yesterday evening I get a phone call from the former husband of the woman I purchased the game from. She apparently sold it with out his permission and now he wants the game back. He is filing a police report, and has a lawyer involved.
Awesome, just awesome.
I spent 225 for the game, and have already purchased about 75 dollars worth of parts for it.
I share this, I guess just to reiterate that you can't be too careful when purchasing anything off of Craigslist. If anyone has any advice for me, the innocent victim, I'd be happy to hear it.
Thanks, and beware of Craigslist, people suck.

He has no case, his problem is with wife. And as stated above who would hire a lawyer over $225?

#12 9 years ago

It's his ex wife, I don't know if that makes any difference.

#13 9 years ago

No, you're in the clear. I wouldn't respond to any calls.

#14 9 years ago

The cops will probably tell him, should not have left it there, and Possession is 9-10ths of the law?

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Shado1w:

Why would you even return there phone call. It's there prob not yours.

All I did was answer the phone.

#16 9 years ago

I would laugh and hang up .

#17 9 years ago

If he really wants it back for sentimental reasons, he should be willing to pay for ALL of what you have put in to it, including parts, labor, initial cost, plus extra for the hassles they are putting you through. Up to you to decide how bad you want to try to keep it vs consider selling it to him.

If he is a prick towards you, then that is messed up. Don't let him or his lawyer intimidate you.
Impossible to tell at this point how this will turn out.

#18 9 years ago

This is why I always write up a bill of sale and have the seller sign it whenever I buy a game. Might not hold up in court, but at least it's something.

#19 9 years ago

Apparently it does have sentimental value, according to this yahoo, he was awarded the game by winning a pinball tournament...

#20 9 years ago

He is calling you about something that doesn't belong to him. Easiest case in the world.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

This is why I always write up a bill of sale and have the seller sign it whenever I buy a game. Might not hold up in court, but at least it's something.

That is a good suggestion. I will do that from now on.

#22 9 years ago

It's a civil dispute, police don't get involved in those, so im sure he's trying to scare you into giving him back the pin. Block his number, all is good.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from twinmice:

It's a civil dispute, police don't get involved in those, so im sure he's trying to scare you into giving him back the pin. Block his number, all is good.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking at first. My concern was if they treated this as a case of receiving stolen property, or something like that. I don't know about any of this stuff. It seems easy for people to say don't worry about it, but that's easier to say if it's not happening to you.

#24 9 years ago

No crime was committed. Seriously, don't sweat it; do not talk to them again.

#25 9 years ago

If you are worried about it, call your local PD and speak with a Theft Detective and tell them what happened, im 99% sure (depending on what he tells them if he does not lie) they are going to tell you it's a civil dispute and they do not get involved, he would have to sue you in civil court on his own dime, and it would be a heck of a whole lot more than 225.00.

#26 9 years ago

If you do decide to consider selling it to him:
If he tries to whittle you down on price, then counter with an even higher price than what you first offered to sell it for and tell him you forgot to include for something else you spent on it.
Continue subsequent prices raises as necessary until he catches on and starts being reasonable.

You are not the bad guy in this drama, but do try to be understanding of his situation.
If he and/or his lawyer treats you like crap, then you will know when it is time to stop being nice back.

Keep us filled in going fwd.

#27 9 years ago

Plus like JBK said, there is no crime, so he would lose in civil court also and be a out a couple grand.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

That is a good suggestion. I will do that from now on.

CCary, did you intentionally downvote that? I'm trying to find out before I stomp you a new mudhole...

#29 9 years ago

So, you have a few choices. You can block him and move on. But do realize that if someone sells stolen property, it's still the property of the original owner. At the end of the day, I'd put myself in his shoes. If the pin means something to him, my advice is to make a friend from this rather than an enemy. My .02.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

At the end of the day, I'd put myself in his shoes. If the pin means something to him, my advice is to make a friend from this rather than an enemy. My .02.

Hmmm... I find it interesting that you are in the minority with your point of view. I am actually somewhat conflicted on this one. Do I assume that this guy is just a jerk trying to crash my buzz, or like you say, try to put myself in his shoes and put some validity into what he is telling me.

I know I will get hammered by most, based on the majority of the responses, but whatever...

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

Hmmm... I find it interesting that you are in the minority with your point of view. I am actually somewhat conflicted on this one. Do I assume that this guy is just a jerk trying to crash my buzz, or like you say, try to put myself in his shoes and put some validity into what he is telling me.
I know I will get hammered by most, based on the majority of the responses, but whatever...

If it has sentimental value then he will gladly re-pay you the $75 in parts and xx$ in labor for your touch-up job on top of the purchase price you paid.

#32 9 years ago

You have to follow your own moral compass here. No forum full of strangers will be able to help you sleep at night.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

You have to follow your own moral compass here. No forum full of strangers will be able to help you sleep at night.

Touché!

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

It's his ex wife, I don't know if that makes any difference.

No difference, but it makes perfect sense.

Edit- And if it is his ex wife, what was she doing with his pinball machine?

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Noobee:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking at first. My concern was if they treated this as a case of receiving stolen property, or something like that. I don't know about any of this stuff. It seems easy for people to say don't worry about it, but that's easier to say if it's not happening to you.

I never thought of that. I wonder how the law treats something you purchased at a pawn shop that was stolen goods? Is that why pawn shops put your info into the computer when you buy something?

#36 9 years ago

Well if the guy is polite he would have to pay a premium (more than you paid) if you're a really nice guy thats a generous thing to do imo, but not necessary.
An odd case as I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else.

#37 9 years ago

If the story is his ex-wife sold it out from under him, I'd probably sell it back to him for some higher price just to be a nice guy. I'd let him work the rest out with his ex.

#38 9 years ago

My deciding factor would be how polite he is to you.
Threatening to call the cops is not cool.

#39 9 years ago

Wouldn't this fall under the "seller's remorse" category?

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Wouldn't this fall under the "seller's remorse" category?

Sounds more like the "no remorse" category.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

I never thought of that. I wonder how the law treats something you purchased at a pawn shop that was stolen goods? Is that why pawn shops put your info into the computer when you buy something?

But if they were married, it wasn't stolen. She owned half of it. So, best case he gets $112.50 from his wife.

As far as selling it back, I might consider selling it back to him for what you paid + parts + labor. But I wouldn't put it back together for him - he can come get it as-is.

...and all of that would depend on how he treated me on the phone. If he was even remotely not being super incredibly nice, I wouldn't do it.

#42 9 years ago

If you end up giving it back to him, it should be as a kit.

#43 9 years ago

The world is 90% bluff. And this guy is trying his best to bluff you from a very weak and tenuous legal position. Bluffing is his only course of action. His issue is with his ex wife. And probably a shaky claim at best. After all, what was the pin doing at HER residence. I'm guessing, but it sounds like this guy is now living in his mothers tiny basement apartment.

You're holding a full house, and he's trying to bluff you with a pair of dueces. Call his bluff. If he gets annoying, tell him the next time he annoys you, a)you sold the pin or b)you got tired of the nonsense and burned the pin on your bonfire pile....and the cooked marshmellows were especially tasty.
Remember who's holding the full house and who's got the loser hand.

#44 9 years ago

Sounds like me you want to give it back .... I wouldn't .... But you probably will.

#45 9 years ago

I'm not exactly sure how the phone call went, but first off, I'd say the guy is a dick. Just ignore him. First thing he does is come out firing, telling you what he's going to do and trying to intimidate you? If he was cool about it, it might be a different story, but sheesh. Why do people have to be like that?? Mistakes happen...

However you decide to handle it, you might consider contacting the ex-wife and ask if she'll verify that you bought the pin. Maybe even get a bill of sale like suggested above. Just a little extra security.

Chris

#46 9 years ago

happen to be hanging with an attorney buddy. He says the dude needs to work it out with his old lady, whether with the cops or court or whatever. You were a good,faith purchaser - he has no right to take it back from you. If you want to be a swell guy sell it back to him with some extra for your trouble.

#47 9 years ago

Just like About 95 percent of irritants ignore this and it will go away.

Don't answer the phone or emails, don't return calls. Problem solved.

#48 9 years ago

Judging by the mention of filing police report and getting a lawyer, the guy sounds like a prick. If you do give it back to him, be prepared for him to want some sort of damages for you "messing" with it. Of course if his last name is Soprano or he's just a total whack job, I'd consider giving it back. Maybe not worth the potential trouble.

#49 9 years ago

If he is nice, sell it back at its current price after all your costs are added.
If my wife did this to me I would be extra nice to you to try to convince you to sell it back I would gladly offer more if it had sentimental value to me.
If the guy is a prick tell him to prove to you he is the original owner. If he can't prove it tell him you think he is scamming you and YOU will call the COPS on him.

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

happen to be hanging with an attorney buddy. He says the dude needs to work it out with his old lady, whether with the cops or court or whatever. You were a good,faith purchaser - he has no right to take it back from you. If you want to be a swell guy sell it back to him with some extra for your trouble.

Without doing a bunch of research, I disagree. Good faith purchaser exception usually applies to merchants, such as a pawn shop that deals in used goods.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craigslist-disaster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.