7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Craftsman (resized).JPG
WolfCraft (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_faz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Just saw this. Very sad to watch this Sears train-wreck unfold in super duper slow motion.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-sears-sells-craftsman-stanley-20170105-story.html

Retail is so hard these days... used to do that in a prior life.

Here's hoping the Craftsman brand can continue to invent.
faz

#6 7 years ago

By all rights Sears should have died long before the K-Mart thing. The 90's were really rough for retail in general as the internet redefined what shopping was about. Sears was a cataloger (like Montgomery Wards and Spiegel). The mall-sprall of the 70's - 80's was a transition from light retail to powerhouse retail. The mega-model just could not sustain.

Back in the mid 90's Spiegel bought a massive Sears warehouse. Store closings rampant and selling off the warehouse were some of there big ticket desperate moves. But they still were acting like the 800lb gorilla trying to continue a superstore "services destination" with auto, optical, beauty, taxes, travel and the tie to Land's End just really made no sense. It's almost like the stores are saying, well... we can't sell product, so let's add a mini-store over here to fill up that space.

I don't think Sears is "dumping" Craftsman to live longer. My take is that they are cutting Craftsman loose to SAVE Craftsman! Crafto is not the brand it was, but then again, very few brands are. But I think it's a good fit. Stanley offers good quality tools for everyday people. Yes, if I want a great steel, I'm going to Lie-Nielsen to get a plane but for the rest of the world Stanley works.

Again, this is a super slow motion train-wreck. It's sad to watch and even sadder for those working at Sears. I worked for Spiegel for 15 years just before they started winding down. Late 80's Spiegel had fantastic growth, huge aspirations (heck, they bought Eddie Bauer for $260MM **CASH**)... then, 1991 there was that little war thing in the Gulf (the start) and then the Internet hit. 1990 was an amazing time to be in retail... 1995 stunk... and if you were a huge Queen Mary of a ship that could not react... you die.

faz

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What?! My mom used to buy me Sears pants when I was a kid. Those things rocked.

mine were "Husky"
faz

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Catalog stores were in rural areas. Full stores were nationwide in larger cities.

AND you could order anything. Including livestock.

My favorite Spiegel Warehouse story was a return from a unhappy customer... they ordered a Monkey... A LIVE MONKEY... but what showed up was not... poor monkey.
faz

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Im sure this will not effect us . Craftsman will still be sol by Sears but it may let the brand expand to Home Depot, Lowe's and such

I doubt HD or Loews would carry craftsman. They have their "premier" brand. Ace is a pretty good fit for Crafty... might turn into an exclusive. Keep in mind that some Craftsman branded tools are products from other MFRs just with a different label.

I've been using Wolfcraft clamps for years. Sears rolled out their version a few years later. The design is too close to be their own. Look, feel, construction and mechanics are the same. Even some of the varieties of size are the same.

Craftsman (resized).JPGCraftsman (resized).JPG
WolfCraft (resized).jpgWolfCraft (resized).jpg

faz

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_faz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craftsman-sold-to-stanley?tu=pinball_faz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.