Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 69 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

13A48B97-253A-4797-A540-37CF03FB3305 (resized).jpeg
    F4350020-7BC6-44B9-9235-6699706411E1 (resized).jpeg
    1610045728736883498770 (resized).jpg
    40FC4904-1635-4DB1-BA29-6272F081C6EA (resized).jpeg
    2021-01-07 10.49.40 (resized).jpg
    2021-01-07 10.51.13 (resized).jpg
    2021-01-07 10.51.01 (resized).jpg
    klein-tools-nut-driver-sets-647m-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    97f9fecdd984ff6d2ec331f61592fd8c (resized).jpg
    61Y5Cpl3MPL._AC_SL1000_ (resized).jpg
    4F9750B7-BBCD-4F41-A6A5-396253AD93D6 (resized).jpeg
    6895D324-2CB1-4C2C-9246-438101AACD78 (resized).jpeg
    CB7F722D-18D0-427B-B168-DB5186726794 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_20210106_184228 (resized).jpg
    20210106_175427 (resized).jpg
    20210106_175444 (resized).jpg
    There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

The tool I use the most repairing pins is the hollow shaft nut drivers

Now owned by Black & Decker, Craftsman lifetime warranty tools can be exchanged at any ACE, Lowes, NAPA or Sears stores.

Metric Set is same $10.49 price, but for 99% of pins, you want the SAE set

https://brickseek.com/lowes-inventory-checker?sku=5000183227

These have the classic color coding, just like your grandfather's set

s-l4adfsdf00 (resized).jpgs-l4adfsdf00 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

If you want to magnetize these, stand them up on a speaker magnet for a few days.

#3 3 years ago

Brilliant. Thanks.

#4 3 years ago

A must have for taking out those extended post screws!!!

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The tool I use the most repairing pins is the hollow shaft nut drivers
    Now owned by Black & Decker, Craftsman lifetime warranty tools can be exchanged at any ACE, Lowes, NAPA or Sears stores.
    Metric Set is same $10.49 price, but for 99% of pins, you want the SAE set
    https://brickseek.com/deal/CRAFTS...Nut/347935
    These have the classic color coding, just like your grandfather's set
    [quoted image]

Good to see you recommend products again! (I always want to buy them via your quality recommendations and knowledge base!)

Even better to see you back on the forum..!!!

#6 3 years ago

That is a great price for a really nice set of drivers!
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://www.ChrisHiblerPinball.com/Contact ... for board repairs
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

If you want to magnetize these, stand them up on a speaker magnet for a few days.

Had my set for years and haven't lost one

Didn't know the magnetizing trick. Will try that for sure. I do drop the occasional 1/4 inch hex screw into a game.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Had my set for years and haven't lost one

My first set from the 70s handles have turned amber instead of clear

If I ever lose one, the replacement will stand out like a sore thumb and kids will tease me.

Didn't know the magnetizing trick. Will try that for sure. I do drop the occasional 1/4 inch hex screw into a game.

Sometimes you don't want them magnetized, because a nut will hang up in the back of the socket. I've had 3 of them stack up before I have to fish them out....

The drivers from Kline are super magnetic, you can hang them from a flat surface.

#9 3 years ago

Darn sold out everywhere near me

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from edward472:

Darn sold out everywhere near me

When I saw that price, I figured they would not last long.

The same set is $28 at ACE Hardware on sale right now:

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/tools/hand-tools/nutdrivers/2468692

Make sure you use Brickseek and not Lowes website for local stocking info, Lowes own website is never correct.

https://brickseek.com/lowes-inventory-checker?sku=5000183227

#11 3 years ago

Does someone want to buy a set and I'll pay for them and for the shipping to me.

Lowes canada doesnt even sell them.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Does someone want to buy a set and I'll pay for them and for the shipping to me.
    Lowes canada doesnt even sell them.

Mitch I can help you as I was about to place an order myself. Do you want an sae, metric or one of each?

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Great drivers. I have a small rare earth magnet from K & J Magnetics that I rub against the metal parts and it magnetizes those sockets pretty well.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Mitch I can help you as I was about to place an order myself. Do you want an sae, metric or one of each?

Can I jump on this bandwagon?

#15 3 years ago

I've owned both the SAE and metric set of these since the late 80's, and can attest to their quality, and usefulness. While the clear plastic handles on the SAE set have yellowed over the years of use and abuse they're still great!

-Paul

#16 3 years ago

I do drop the occasional 1/4 inch hex screw into a game.

I learned a trick watching a tech at our NWPAS show - When working on a raised playfield hold a telescoping magnet under the screw or nut you are removing to catch it when (not if!) it falls.

Quoted from vid1900:

Sometimes you don't want them magnetized, because a nut will hang up in the back of the socket. I've had 3 of them stack up before I have to fish them out....

I used to fish them out with a dental pick, then another local guru suggested that I simply screw the nut back on a thread or two, pull the driver off of it, and take it off by hand or telescoping magnet.

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Great buy and they need to be magnetized! Thanks

#18 3 years ago

What’s best to have metric or inches?

Is this an in store purchase only I couldn’t see how to buy with shipping.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

What’s best to have metric or inches?
    Is this an in store purchase only I couldn’t see how to buy with shipping.

For pinball, inch is the only one you’ll use. I have both and I can’t remember the last time I needed a metric one for anything.

#20 3 years ago

I've never worked on a game that was manufactured outside of the USA. I wonder if they will be using metric.

#21 3 years ago

Brickseeker showed 3 in stock at the local Lowe's which is a 5 minute drive away, I shot over there but none were in stock. Too bad, I like replacing my old tools with new ones, especially good quality ones like Craftsman.

I needed to pick something up at Harbor Freight, so I snapped this pic while I was in there. This set is even cheaper. Its Harbor Freight though, the quality is probably questionable.

nut drivers Pittsburg 7 pc (resized).jpgnut drivers Pittsburg 7 pc (resized).jpg

Here is my set from my toolbox, 6 "Vaco" nut drivers. These are really old, I believe I got them in the 80s. I don't know if these are good quality, but hey they do work. I have 6 and am missing 5/16". I don't know if I had it originally and lost it.

nut drivers Vaco 6 pc (resized).jpgnut drivers Vaco 6 pc (resized).jpg

#22 3 years ago

Vaco, Xcelite, Kline, Proto, Matco, MAC and Snap-On are all top of the line. Kline actually owns Vaco.

#23 3 years ago

I did some looking... Klein bought Vaco in 1986. I am pretty sure my nut driver set predates that by a few years, I should have gotten it in the early 80s.

Lets analyze this. What can go wrong with a nut driver? The handle can start spinning loose because it hasn't been attached to the metal driver. This seems to be a complaint for the Harbor Freight nut drivers in the one star ratings. That's about what you would expect from modern cheap stuff from China. Then, the fit of the driver can degrade if the inside edges start to round off over time. This would happen with cheaper metal I presume. Upon inspecting these Vaco drivers closely, I don't think there is any way the handles will ever come loose, and the edges of the socket all look nice and sharp. I suppose the handles could wear out, or crack, or break in some way. No sign of that either on these old boys.

So yes this set is nearly 40 years old, and I have used it over all those years, but realistically the usage has been very light overall. Just once in a while when needed for whatever random projects I might have worked on. So I'm thinking these things are good to go for another 40 years. Hell I'll be long dead before these wear out. But I couldn't find the yellow 5/16" one anywhere, and I am pretty sure I had it at one time. Amazingly, I found one for sale on eBay for $5 plus $2 shipping, so I just ordered it to fill out my set. I hope its the real deal.

ebay.com link: VACO S 10 5 16 Nutdriver AMBER 6 5 LONG NEW

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Or get one of these magnetizer/demagnetizer blocks, they're pretty useful for a few bucks. https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-40010-Magnetizer-or-Demagnetizer/dp/B00018AONE/ref=sr_1_2

Quoted from Shredso:

I've never worked on a game that was manufactured outside of the USA. I wonder if they will be using metric.

Of my three Euro-made pins, Lebowski and Full Throttle are metric. Don't remember with the Playmatic, but I think it is.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I needed to pick something up at Harbor Freight, so I snapped this pic while I was in there. This set is even cheaper. Its Harbor Freight though, the quality is probably questionable.

Are the shafts hollow?

That's the most important part for pinball

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Are the shafts hollow?
    That's the most important part for pinball

I don’t think so for the harbor freight ones. (Edited)

#27 3 years ago

I don't think the Craftsman ones that Lowe's is selling are hollow shaft at least not from the description of the same set listed at Ace.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #28 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I don't think the Craftsman ones that Lowe's is selling are hollow shaft at least not from the description of the same set listed at Ace.

They appear to have a sandblasted, hollow interior.

IMG_20210106_172938 (2) (resized).jpgIMG_20210106_172938 (2) (resized).jpg
    #29 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobukcat:

I don't think the Craftsman ones that Lowe's is selling are hollow shaft at least not from the description of the same set listed at Ace.[quoted image]

ECD319ED-1D79-4C00-8181-52A3D4F957EE (resized).jpegECD319ED-1D79-4C00-8181-52A3D4F957EE (resized).jpeg
    #30 3 years ago

How to magnetize

Don't move them around, changing their polarization. Just let them sit for a few days

IMG_20210106_171900 (resized).jpgIMG_20210106_171900 (resized).jpg
    #31 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Yes, all hollow shafts.

Are you sure?

The reviews say no:

"I’d buy them again for periodic use. Wish’n they had been hollow . . . . although they will do the job. Got seven for the price I would have paid for one at the local hardware store."

"I bought this set as a a secondary set for my “housework” toolbox. The tools are inexpensive, they work, but do NOT have a hollow shaft. They will not work in some instances"

#32 3 years ago

I have a 12pc set of these I bought in 2016 on sale for $12. It has 6 SAE (1/4 thru 1/2) and 6 metric (6-11mm), all hollow shaft, and is one of the best tool value purchases I've ever made. Oddly enough, I soon accidentally stumbled into a Sonic Prospector and put those metric ones to immediate use (on Williams mechs, what a mindfark that was)!

HOWEVER

The hollow shafts are... not always hollow enough, as I have found the small ones do not consistently clear the thickness of all posts. For example, the small playfield posts for 1/8 donut rings, that have a 5/16 hex base: that particular driver's hollow shaft is still too narrow to clear the overall thickness of the post. The easy solution for this case, is to use a cheapo 4-way reversible screwdriver with one of its bits removed. The nutdriver is still fine for standard threaded posts, etc.

But man, what a great set! They are the same drivers sometimes included with Craftsman mechanic's sets - from which I already had a few where the handles were a slightly different color, as seen by me swapping them to test (still the same issue with the 5/16" hollow shaft being too narrow for certain pinball posts).

But maybe the best thing about it was when my 15yo daughter called it "The Magic Book of Screwdrivers [sic]"
    20210106_175427 (resized).jpg20210106_175427 (resized).jpg20210106_175444 (resized).jpg20210106_175444 (resized).jpg

Amazingly, I have used every single unit - even the large ones, even on metric - on various pinball tasks over the years. But the daily bread and butter sizes are 1/4, 5/16, 11/32, and 3/8.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Are you sure?
    The reviews say no:
    "I’d buy them again for periodic use. Wish’n they had been hollow . . . . although they will do the job. Got seven for the price I would have paid for one at the local hardware store."
    "I bought this set as a a secondary set for my “housework” toolbox. The tools are inexpensive, they work, but do NOT have a hollow shaft. They will not work in some instances"

Sorry wasn’t paying attention, I thought you were asking about the Vaco ones. Reading comprehension is key!

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

The hollow shafts are... not always hollow enough, as I have found they will not consistently clear the thickness of all posts.

Yep, even some hex drive screwdriver sockets wont allow those posts to be removed because of some internal shelf.

You can also use a ratcheting wrench "gearwrench" or those MaxxAccess Thru sockets (which are always better than deep sockets, because they are endlessly deep)

10 ways to skin that cat

IMG_20210106_184228 (resized).jpgIMG_20210106_184228 (resized).jpg
    #35 3 years ago

I bought some today, thanks Vid!
    Those HF ones shown above are not hollow (I have a set), but they sell a “pro” version for a few dollars more that are.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They appear to have a sandblasted, hollow interior.[quoted image]

I bought a set and they aren't hollow very far up the shaft, I haven't measured it yet so maybe it's sufficient for any posts on a game.

#37 3 years ago

FYI, A Snap-on deep well 3/8" drive 1/4" socket will fit all the way down onto Gottlieb posts...other brands do not seem to be hollowed out enough to fit past the taper. I have that one socket in my small tool box specifically for taking those posts out, which usually are holding down ramp flaps on System 80B games.

#38 3 years ago

I just went to my local Lowe’s, had many in stock still, probably because price on store display was $19.98. They were the correct sale price at checkout - $10.48. Yes they aren’t hollow very far in. Good deal though - Thanks Vid!

4F9750B7-BBCD-4F41-A6A5-396253AD93D6 (resized).jpeg4F9750B7-BBCD-4F41-A6A5-396253AD93D6 (resized).jpeg6895D324-2CB1-4C2C-9246-438101AACD78 (resized).jpeg6895D324-2CB1-4C2C-9246-438101AACD78 (resized).jpegCB7F722D-18D0-427B-B168-DB5186726794 (resized).jpegCB7F722D-18D0-427B-B168-DB5186726794 (resized).jpeg

#39 3 years ago

While we're on the topic of nut drivers. I have been thinking about grabbing this one for my toolbox. I have just a little portable toolbox that I use if I have to help out a friend on site, but I use it with my own games too because I don't have a dedicated big toolbox for pinball down in my basement yet. Quite a bit more expensive, but seems like a great tool if being compact is a good thing for you!

https://www.amazon.com/Driver-Magnetic-Klein-Tools-32807MAG/dp/B07D4M51DQ

61Y5Cpl3MPL._AC_SL1000_ (resized).jpg61Y5Cpl3MPL._AC_SL1000_ (resized).jpg
    #40 3 years ago

Pinsiders in here spending $1000 on a topper and $11 on a set of low quality nut drivers. Get a set of Wera tools. They’re truly hollow and are worth every penny.

#41 3 years ago

The Craftsman are not hollow all the way through the handle, just about an inch up.

Same with my snapon (the craftsman has way better balance than the snappy, I never use them)

97f9fecdd984ff6d2ec331f61592fd8c (resized).jpg97f9fecdd984ff6d2ec331f61592fd8c (resized).jpg

The only drivers I have that are hollow all the way into the handle are the Klein. (the smallest sizes in the set are not hollow, don't be fooled like I was)

They are magnetic right out of the box.

The handles are not as comfortable as the craftsman, but the worst part - they are not color coded. I rarely use them.

klein-tools-nut-driver-sets-647m-64_1000 (resized).jpgklein-tools-nut-driver-sets-647m-64_1000 (resized).jpg
    #42 3 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

While we're on the topic of nut drivers. I have been thinking about grabbing this one for my toolbox. I have just a little portable toolbox that I use if I have to help out a friend on site, but I use it with my own games too because I don't have a dedicated big toolbox for pinball down in my basement yet. Quite a bit more expensive, but seems like a great tool if being compact is a good thing for you!
    amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

I have the 1/4"-5/16" version of this tool. Just like the other magnetic Klein's I have, the well is very shallow. The magnet is so strong you either need to leave a thread or 2 on and remove the nut by hand or just have the correct threaded post or bolt loose to remove it from the magnet. I'll give it another shot, but so far it's a little awkward.

2021-01-07 10.51.01 (resized).jpg2021-01-07 10.51.01 (resized).jpg2021-01-07 10.51.13 (resized).jpg2021-01-07 10.51.13 (resized).jpg
    #43 3 years ago

I think I might have a problem. These were all within reach in my workshop. There are at least 1 or 2 more sets with my electrical tools. The Vaco on the left I inherited somehow, it's the only one I have. The tip is ground down, it's great for hard to reach tight spots. It has the largest well of any of these. I like the feel of the Kleins and they are great tools. It's what I'm used to using in the field (electrical), I like the rubber grip. Craftsman and Husky are essentially the same tool and are what I end up using most of the time. Perfectly adequate.

2021-01-07 10.49.40 (resized).jpg2021-01-07 10.49.40 (resized).jpg
    #44 3 years ago
    Quoted from plasticbugs:

Pinsiders in here spending $1000 on a topper and $11 on a set of low quality nut drivers. Get a set of Wera tools. They’re truly hollow and are worth every penny.

I don't buy toppers much less $1K ones but I do have a toolbox full of Snap-On tools, for as little as I use them anymore the topper may actually make more sense financially.

I almost always use my 1/4" drive ratchet / socket (standard and deep) set for everything instead of nutdrivers but I bought these for anytime I may just need to do something quick. Hard to go wrong for $11 bucks and they are pretty well made.

#45 3 years ago

anyone have a link to good set with shipping? I don't want to drive to a store.

I don't own any nut drivers so I'm looking for a food set for pinball.

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from rai:

anyone have a link to good set with shipping? I don't want to drive to a store.
    I don't own any nut drivers so I'm looking for a food set for pinball.

Isn’t there a store like 3 miles from you?

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Isn’t there a store like 3 miles from you?

Free covid infection with every $11 purchase!

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

I just went to my local Lowe’s, had many in stock still, probably because price on store display was $19.98. Yes they aren’t hollow very far in. Good deal though - Thanks Vid!
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you get them for the $10.49 sale price?

#49 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Did you get them for the $10.49 sale price?

Yes, $10.48 + tax

$1.62 per driver

#50 3 years ago

That's great. Kinda aggravated I couldn't find them at my local Lowe's.

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/craftsman-7-piece-hollow-shaft-nut-driver-set-1049?hl=dent00 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.