(Topic ID: 77881)

Cradling...BLEH

By RDReynolds

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1103.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 10 years ago

TigerLaw just nudged this thread.

#13 10 years ago

I think the longer you have been playing, the less need there is for cradling. One of my older machines, Magic Clock is the one that I will cradle on or I can't hit that moving target. The newer, faster machines I don't really feel the need. I let the geometry of the machine bring the ball to the flipper where I want it.

As far as nudging, EMs can require a great deal to keep the ball in play, but after playing newer machines for a while, I don't feel as much of a need except at the outlanes.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Sure it's fun to shoot combos or orbits on newer games over and over, but it gets risky fast.

To a point, yes. But all shots can be made without cradling. For the most part if it is getting out of control, I will slow the ball with the flipper, but then shoot as it is rolling back down from the inlane. Rarely do I feel the need to stop the ball completely, hold the ball with the flipper and size up the shot. I know where it needs to go, and I know the sweet spot on the flipper. If I was playing for money or some kind of trophy, I might alter my style. But i play for fun, and fun is the way I play.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Making backhand shots on the fly ain't easy. And backhand shots have become very important in newer games.

I cradle the ball on Fireball to hit the backhand shot into the Odin.

#36 10 years ago

Another truth about cradling is that it means you use the same spot on the flipper to make the same shot every time.
    Using geometry, the ball can come at the flipper from every direction and knowing when to hit the flipper before the ball arrives to send it in the proper direction is something that can only be accomplished by instinct. And when you just let your instincts take over, magic can happen. Kind of like hitting a baseball, but the ball is never out of the strike zone.

#85 10 years ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

But some of us have zero interest in playing in tournaments. We just like playing. So "winning" isn't that important; having fun is

This is the same attitude I had towards surfing. There were guys that winning a trophy meant everything to them. But that meant they had to impress some judges. i guess if that's how you make your living, it's important. But just to hold a trophy seems kind of pointless to me. Who are we trying to impress? As long as we are enjoying ourselves, that is all that matters. And although i am not that competitive in nature, I have been told that I am a pretty good player none the less.

#87 10 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

A wave doesn't give you a score... Tho it will tell you you suck in rather nasty ways

Epically....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider o-din.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cradlingbleh?tu=o-din and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.