(Topic ID: 77881)

Cradling...BLEH

By RDReynolds

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1103.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider akm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 10 years ago

Cradling is super fun to me. Especially when I'm in a three to four ball multi-ball mode. I love trying to keep as many balls in play at once, juggling like crazy. That's pretty exhilarating for me.

In terms of higher level play though, cradling at least here and there is pretty important for consistency. If you are firing away on-the-fly all the time, you are going to get punished. Either you are going to hit the wrong shot, your timing may be off and the ball may not go all the way up a ramp, or you will hit some form of a post and the ball will likely fly towards the drain. Of course, that can happen even when you cradle a ball prior to shooting, but at least then you made a conscious effort to control the flow of the game and didn't leave the ball's outcome entirely to dumb luck.

Some games are better for flow gameplay though than others, and even though I consider myself a very controlled player, on games like Star Trek, AC\DC, Rolling Stones and Spider Man, I purposely go for combos a lot as well (the ramps and orbits mostly). Those ramp shots generally aren't that difficult, and the combos feel good and they can pay off points-wise. Plus, going for combos and getting the flow going in those games opens up loop passing for those orbit shots, which is another skill that feels really good to do and requires some on-the-fly thinking.

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

For instance when a ball is heading towards the left outlane should you nudge left, right, or just bump it straight up?

It depends on the angle the ball is coming towards the drain. Keeping a close eye on the ball, the idea is to push the outlane post or rail into the ball, forcing the ball's movement upwards. It will then sometimes ricochet upwards into the far outlane wall and back towards the playfield.

For anyone that wants to see various ways to save balls from outlane drains, I highly, *highly* recommend watching Pinball 101.

Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

What about balls SDTM?

Push the machine to the left or right, from whichever way the ball looks closest to a flipper. If it's going down the middle but it looks like it might skim the edge of a flipper, that's where you "slap save". Again, like above, the idea is to push the flipper into the ball. Even the slightest touch can make all the difference and save it from draining.

If the ball requires a heavy push of the machine to save it, then, well, depending on the tilt settings, push it! If the tilt setting allows it, push the hell out of it if you have to. It may cost you two tilt warnings if the game even allows, but that's better than draining completely.

#80 10 years ago
    Quoted from RDReynolds:

But some of us have zero interest in playing in tournaments. We just like playing. So "winning" isn't that important; having fun is.

"Winning" to most of us IS "having fun". And the "having fun" factor snowballs when we play better.

More skillful play = Having Fun = Winning.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider akm.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cradlingbleh?tu=akm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.