Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6814b74e0c688822df4a5d92fe9c69e6.jpg
photo(29).JPG
photo(30).JPG
Expansion_kit_003.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I am cracking green targets on A F M. any suggestions to prevent this? Is this common?

mylar. Decals. more backing?

#2 11 years ago

I broke multiple...added target decals....none since

#3 11 years ago

Your backing foam, is it still in place and spongy? Old and hard?

#4 11 years ago

If you keep your game clean, waxed, new balls.

Then you are doing better than what the game was designed for.

Try going one flipper coil weaker.

You have the strongest William coil in your game now -
FL-11629 (blue)

The next one weaker is -
FL-15411 (orange)

You'll still make all your shots and your targets will last longer.

LTG

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Try going one flipper coil weaker.

I did this on my AFM, and I'm glad I did. There's much fewer airballs, less impact on targets, and the game still has plenty of flipper power and plays plenty fast.

#6 11 years ago

What?!? A coil change is blasphemy!

#7 11 years ago

I made backers for my targets so they don't bend back, you can see one in this pic on the right.
I have extras in stock and just replace them when they break.
Make sure the foam behind them is in place.

Expansion_kit_003.jpgExpansion_kit_003.jpg

#8 11 years ago

MIne are brand new green targets. Great idea above.

Whos decals?

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

MIne are brand new green targets. Great idea above.
Whos decals?

I usually get them from Curly.

http://www.littleshopofgames.com/Decal/zd1targa.html

#10 11 years ago

Same thing happened to mine after it was restored, mylar or target decals fixed the problem.

#11 11 years ago

hmmm good thread. I'm yet to restore mine, but bought all new targets. I'm not a big fan of target decals, but in this case, I may do it.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

I'm not a big fan of target decals, but in this case, I may do it

You will change your mind after you break a couple of those brand new targets

#13 11 years ago

I also put weaker coils in the game I had and I had no problems hitting all the shots, including the ramps, with ease.... and everything wasn't getting bashed like crazy like it was with the stock coils.

#14 11 years ago

Well there was no target foam behind any of the new targets. Shattered the top left one today.

Ill order some faom and will give that a try. May try weaker coil if they break, strip the screws out or bend back.

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Ill order some foam

It is only foam weather stripping that you get for $3 a roll at any hardware store. Get the self adhesive stuff.

#16 11 years ago

This is off pinball life web sight.

It is not recommended that you "tinker" with the balance of flipper power supplied by the original flipper coils. But if you must tempt fate, here is a list of coil numbers and their relative strength going from weakest to strongest:

FL-11753 - Used with short flippers and close shots

FL-11722 - Used for close shots near drop targets

FL-11630 - The standard, most commonly used coil

FL-15411 - Used for long playfield shots

FL-11629 - Used for long shots and high ramps

Im going to try 15411. Thanks.

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Im going to try 15411

That's what I have in mine.

#18 11 years ago

The target faces may be cracking if the rivets were done incorrectly. BAA was selling just the target faces so easily replaceable. I used my old ones, just flamed pushed the face of the target.

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

It is not recommended that you "tinker" with the balance of flipper power supplied by the original flipper coils.

You have to remember though Williams over powered flippers because they knew street maintenance was slipping and games needed more power to work on dirty games.

Now a person taking care to clean, wax, new balls, and keeping the flippers in great shape can easily go one coil weaker and make the same shots and not break as much stuff as fast.

LTG

#20 11 years ago

Target decals are great. Also, the backing tracelifter incorporates into his targets looks like a very good idea...

#21 11 years ago

Im getting airballs also. The next weaker(15411) coil is the same coil in my BSD and that game is plenty fast.

I will let you know the results.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from tracelifter:

I made backers for my targets so they don't bend back, you can see one in this pic on the right.
I have extras in stock and just replace them when they break.
Make sure the foam behind them is in place.

Could you possibly upload another couple of pictures from another angle? I hope I'm not going blind but I honestly can't see where the foam/backer is.

Concerned about targets breaking, and being in England, it's not easy to get ready made target decals.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from dragon2000:

Could you possibly upload another couple of pictures from another angle? I hope I'm not going blind but I honestly can't see where the foam/backer is.

See the green plastic face of the target ? See the metal upright support piece behind the green plastic target that the target is fastened too ? The foam backer attaches to the metal piece between the metal and back of target face.

LTG

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from dragon2000:

Concerned about targets breaking, and being in England, it's not easy to get ready made target decals.

Look at the pic, see how the red target on the right is parallel to the black line? Now look at the green target on the right in front of it, see the metal L brace I made behind it screwed to the top of the PF?
This supports the target so it can't bend back and pull the screws out underneath.
Now look at the left, that side doesn't have one yet and the red target is crooked, I hadn't done that side yet.
The foam is black hi impact and is between the back of the plastic target leaf and the steel target rod.

#25 11 years ago

The new targets dont have foam backing. Here is the damage.

Im also rebuilding the flippers. Check out the flipper bushing and coil sleeve stuck on the stop. I think these are original as the underside of the AFM looks new.

photo(30).JPGphoto(30).JPG photo(29).JPGphoto(29).JPG

#26 11 years ago

It looks like the new repro targets are made of a different plastic, that one is a little lighter in color and less opaque than mine.
My set is NOS and I have had them for quite awhile, maybe that is why I haven't had them break?
That game looks really clean!

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Check out the flipper bushing

Regularly check the left flipper. It gets a direct ball hit from the kick out and that bushing takes a beating.

LTG

#28 11 years ago

Verdict on next lower orange 411 coil.... Do it! After full flipper rebuild and new coils, I see no loss of strength. Another good recommendation from pinsiders. The coils are so strong I'm still getting occasional air ball off green targets.

Right away I killed 4 saucers and put up new high score.

6814b74e0c688822df4a5d92fe9c69e6.jpg6814b74e0c688822df4a5d92fe9c69e6.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

10,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Onekama, MI
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Santa Clara, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

16,500 (OBO)
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 21.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cracking-targets-afm and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.