New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 112634)

CPU / SOUND PCB S.A.M. System - question

By fly

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by fly
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 6 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

zdjecie 2 (1).JPG
zdjecie 1 (1).JPG
zdjecie 2.JPG
zdjecie (2).JPG
schm.pdf (PDF preview)
schemat.pdf (PDF preview)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oga83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Yes, game code is stored at U44 and U45. U45 is populated on ACDC and possibly Metallica since the game code is so large on those games due to the number of full songs included.

This is correct, the code is stored into U44 and U45
There are also some dynamic data (mainly lifetime audits).

Quoted from fly:

if I could somehow download flash boot rom ??
I'd try even record a new rom on eprom

U9 is the boot prom that holds the USB loader :
- When SW1-8 is ON, the game boots on U9 (and U44&U45 are only used to store a new firmware - no code is running from here)
- When SW1-8 is OFF, the game boots on U44&U45 (and U9 is not used at all)
As your game is still not working with the prom, that probably means that U44&U45 are not the issue.
Another component is involved.

What are the behaviour differences when SW1-8 is ON or OFF (reboot after you change it) ?
Is LED3 blinking (located 2 inches above the dip switches) ?
How is the watchdog LED on the IO board near the Reset indication (just under the 3 big capacitors) ?

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

SW1-8 off LED3 blinkinng

This means that some code code is running.

Quoted from fly:

SW1-8off pinball starts up, I press the START button does not start playing, you hear three taps on the speakers a little to move the ship and so every few seconds.

Quoted from fly:

Yellow LED IO board lights, after a while starts to blink and you hear three taps on the speakers

The IO watchdog is triggered and the pinball resets.
Check that your connection between the CPU and the IO board is correct (flat ribbon cable CPU-J9 / IO-J1).

Other than that, based on the green wires, it could be an issue with the NvRam (U11).
It's difficult to see on your photo, but it seems that the green wires are connected on the part that disables the NvRam chip select when there is no power (the wire on U44 is just a connection to the ground).
With a voltmeter, check that your have 4-5v on U11-30 when pin is on, and 0v otherwise (U11 is just at the right of the prom, pin #30 is the 3rd one from the top left corner near c89)
Also check that it's always powered (Pinball either on or off) : see the voltage on pin 32.
I'm not sure what happens when the NvRam not accessible but I guess it could lead to some kind of deadlock that would trigger the watchdog.

#22 5 years ago

The green wire connected on Q10 and R66 is definitely what I said before (NvRam chip (un)select).

I can see there's also a capacitor that has been added on the bottom side of the pcb.
What was the original issue with your board ?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oga83.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside