• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

help.jpg
#1 8 years ago

G'day...my Cpt Fantastic is sick yet again
I would be stoked if any of you wonderful people could help me sort it out
Jumps to 2nd ball at start of game and adds a few 10's to the score before the ball is in play...from 1-9 randomly....no registering of slingshot or rollovers in play
Thought I'd found the problem with the 10 counter coil in the headboard - G31 2000 - contacts in closed position on game start.I replaced it and still the problem exists.
Any ideas

#2 8 years ago
Quoted from Lord_Ted:

adds a few 10's to the score before the ball is in play...from 1-9 randomly...

This could be a 10 point SW or 10 point RE that has a very small gap, closing on vibration while the machine is resetting, this could also be why the game advance to ball two.(Maybe).
If the game is in reset, and you score some points from a SW that is gapped wrong. the Ball index RE could energies and than advance the ball count unit while the score motor is still running.

Does the Ball one light up at all?

A little bit more detail in what is happen during the reset, please.

#3 8 years ago

Press the button and it resets , chimes & goes straight to ball 2...no ball 1 light.
Can't add another player as it just resets as above.
Thanks

#4 8 years ago

What about when playing players 2-4? Same thing? If those are Ok, it could be the coin unit with the multilple wiper fingers.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Lord_Ted:

Press the button and it resets , chimes & goes straight to ball 2...no ball 1 light.
Can't add another player as it just resets as above.
Thanks

Symptoms are – machine resets but at ball two, cannot start a 2nd player and some random points are scored before the game finishes resetting, correct?
You will not be able to add players if the game is already at ball two.

so we need to find out where the problem is.
Does the ball count unit reset when you manually operate it? (That be the vertical coil on the ball count unit)

#6 8 years ago

Hi
in the schema ipdb http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=438 I see at 18-C / 18-D: A Normally-Open "Switch on Ball-Index-Relay" - open because at start-of-Ball-1 the Ball-Index-Relay does NOT (yet) pull. A wire-color-Blue-Orange is soldered-on , a wire-color-Green is soldered-on.
Look in the pin for the Ball-Index-Relay and this switch : Is the Relay "faulty-pulling" (and so the switch is entitled to be closed) ? - or is the relay "not pulling" - BUT blades of the switch are bent and make "faulty-contact" ? , has a drop of solder fallen at the place "wires are soldered-on onto the lugs of the switch" ?
Want to (?): Unplug the Main Power-Cord, sneak-in into that switch a stripe of paper (insulation is garanteed) -> plug-in and start a game - result ?
Chrisbee already mentioned: "Ball-Index-Relay maybe does "faulty pull" - (((at the time of delivering Ball-1: this relay is NOT allowed to pull)))
Greetings Rolf

#7 8 years ago

G'day
Ball 1 lights up briefly and then jumps to Ball 2
I can reset manually to player 1 but when I do the 10pt coil - CD29-1600 - on the player 1 reel is noisy & heats up fast and shaft is stuck in the coil....that's not normal is it?
I watched the workings as I reset - everything seems fine underneath playfield.
Cheers - Ted

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Lord_Ted:

stuck in the coil....that's not normal is it?

No not normal, may have over heated, if this is holding the 10 point RE in the energised position, it will heat up
Most likely had/have a stuck SW on the PF. check all 10 point scoring SW one may be closed. also check the hold SW on the 10 point RE, once you free up the plunger. it must be free to move in the coil sleeve. You may need a new coil.

Quoted from Lord_Ted:

Ball 1 lights up briefly and then jumps to Ball 2

This is probably a symptom and not the problem. Sort out the 10 point RE first.
There are a few SW's that fire the 10 point RE.
help.jpghelp.jpg

#9 8 years ago

Trough switch? Thinks the ball drains on start?

#10 8 years ago

Just to be clear on what I think is happening from the OP’s posts.

The game is resetting correctly. But before the ball is kicked out to the shooter lane, 10 points is being scored somehow.

The points being scored is energising the Ball index RE, since the ball is still in the outhole, the score motor cycles as if the ball has been played and advance the ball count unit to ball two.

The hole in my theory is why doesn’t it repeat this and move to ball three ETC.

We now know that ball one lights briefly.

I think we need to sort out the random 10 points being scored and that stuck plunger first. The stuck plunger may be why we are seeing random 10 points too.

#11 8 years ago

Thanks....I'll have another look today

#12 8 years ago

I disconnected the noisy & hot Player 1 10pt coil....but it still jumps to Ball 2
I cant see anything wrong with the ball counter.
When I manually reset to Ball 1 by pushing the top plunger on the ball counter I can then add another player and it plays as normal except slingshots don't score or chime...the rollovers score and chime but don't toggle the middle top lane which activates the gate

#13 8 years ago

"This could be a 10 point SW or 10 point RE that has a very small gap, closing on vibration while the machine is resetting, this could also be why the game advance to ball two.(Maybe)." - Chrisbee

I shoulda had a closer look at those 10pt switches....I have a damaged post at the top of the rubber hidden under the plastic on the left ramp which makes the rubber contact with the switch and close it...as soon as I insulated it the machine operates fine....so I need a new post.
Thank you all for your assistance...no doubt I will be back again - that's for sure.
Regards - Ted

#14 8 years ago

when you start a new game , check the ball index relay to see if it pulls in before the outhole kicks.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Lord_Ted:

I shoulda had a closer look at those 10pt switches....I have a damaged post at the top of the rubber hidden under the plastic on the left ramp which makes the rubber contact with the switch and close it...as soon as I insulated it the machine operates fine....so I need a new post.

So problem now resolved?

2 weeks later
#16 8 years ago

Sorry I missed your last comment Chrisbee
Yes that was it...sorted.
Now I've got a dead right slingshot...changed the coil , checked connections & jury rigged power from LH Slingshot in case
Still nothing

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Lord_Ted:

Now I've got a dead right slingshot...changed the coil , checked connections & jury rigged power from LH Slingshot in case
Still nothing

You might want to check the coil you installed, make sure it is not open circuit.

#18 8 years ago

Had a win thanks Chrisbee
Fooled around a little and bent one of the lugs on the coil while the machine was on and it fired.
I was also having some random problems with the machine adding other players.
I should've got a copy of the manual earlier
As soon as I read the bit about the ballout sequence being connected to the score unit - cams 3 & 4...and there was the top plastic bush on cam 4 loose and slightly ajar.
A soldering iron and some similar plastic welded on top and it's fixed.
Changed a few bulbs behind the backglass....couldn't get to the recessed ones at first.Looked for an option around my shed and eventually found that a caulking gun nozzle cut to length works a treat.
Thanks for all your help
I'll more than likely be back
Regards
Ted

#19 8 years ago

Only one thing left to do....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 15,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 12,000.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Woodhaven, MI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpt-fantastic-jumping-to-2nd-ball-at-start-of-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.