20171212_161612 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #199 TAF entered the CPR production pipeline Posted by ForceFlow (7 years ago)

Post #371 Details on green color discrepancy Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Post #376 Explanation of green color discrepancy Posted by KevinCPR (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Orbian.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#41 9 years ago

Do the bevels really matter? I would think most people use the Cliffy protectors making this a moot point.

2 years later
#587 6 years ago

My gold had these small flaws.

Arrow (resized).jpgArrow (resized).jpg

The Power (resized).jpgThe Power (resized).jpg

3 months later
#664 6 years ago

Any chance you will respond to those having problems getting a good playfield from you? Seems like quality control and communications are lacking on this playfield run.
In the pictures you can see the area was touched up and a blob of clear is sticking up and out over the edge. What happens to the clear after the ball impacts this area a bit? I'm concerned it with chip out and the rest of the clear will start seperating from the top surface of the playfield.

20180128_104518[9463] (resized).jpg20180128_104518[9463] (resized).jpg20180128_205822[9466] (resized).jpg20180128_205822[9466] (resized).jpg

Added over 6 years ago: This playfield was branded a gold quality!

#666 6 years ago

Thanks for the informative response! I sent you an e-mail!

#670 6 years ago

I had IPB repros that were better than these CPR golds. At least the two that I received. My first CPR gold had issues with black lines in the orange areas and the black lines around the arrow as shown in the pictures. The second had issues as shown in my previous post and I'm being told to live with them.

Arrow (resized).jpgArrow (resized).jpg

The Power (resized).jpgThe Power (resized).jpg

#671 6 years ago

This was an additional area in my second gold playfield with black ink smudges under the clear.

Addams Roll Over (resized).jpgAddams Roll Over (resized).jpg

#679 6 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

Think about it this way: For the single examples shown here... I can show you 100+ that DON'T have those blems. The reality is the ratios in real life are staggeringly the opposite of the meme being portrayed (for better or worse) here, when only the exceptions get posted - not the norm.

Then why is it so difficult for me to get one of these 100+? Why am I two for two on the picky blem side.

The people saying this are probably the people beating guys up on price when they sell a restored game with one of these playfields in it or just outright selling the playfield. I've had playfields with small blems for sale at cost and they didn't move for years. A Simpsons comes to mind with a Bill Davis clearcoat. It sat on E-Bay for two years at $650. It had a small area of damage on the side of the playfield in the back, not seen when installed in a game.

CPR is a small shop and it is expected they would have more control over their production quality.

Does anyone who is happy with their gold and isn't so picky wan't to trade me?

Easy to give opinions when you're one of the lucky 100+!

#681 6 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

You’re missing his point - small shop, large shop , it doesn’t matter — there’s always going to be little nit picky things on Playfields and if your extremely freaking anal you’ll probably find them. Omg - are you going to install the Playfield and then never play a game and just turn it on to see blinkly lights or are you going to play the damn thing and forget in a minute that there is a tiny blemish on a mm of the Playfield?

The point is in the old days these were made for production line commercial machines. The games were being massed produced at a rapid pace. The purpose was to make money and be disposed of. The market has changed and so has the requirements and expectations of that market. Enjoy your games in the condition and way that you like. I don't try to tell others how or what they should do with their money and games.

If this is not a problem for you I'm not sure why you are you actually interested and commenting on this post.

#684 6 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

these are games to be played, not museum pieces
a small blemish does not detract from a fun game

Everyone has different expectations! That's why they're three grades. That is why people start these threads to keep check on quality concerns. If people order golds they could expect something like this. If this is not what they would accept. Now they can see for themselves and decide. Grade and quality are important. If they weren't CPR would not have three grades and Rick at planetary would not charge $50 to pre-screen a field for customers. There would also be no need for the guys doing playfield touch up and clearcoats to these and other new playfields.

Why don't people with gold playfields who are not so picky just order bronze grade. LOL! This would give the picky people more golds in the pool for CPR to ship.

If they only have a hand fool of these issues. Why is it so hard to replace the problem playfields for the few with a better one. If that was done there would be no issue for any customers and CPR.

Obviously our expectations are different! Thanks for pointing this out!

What I wanted Kevin to do was take a few minutes to examine the second playfield before he sent it. Knowing it was a replacement and I'm one of those picky buyers. All of this could have been avoided in the first place.

#690 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I am curious if you own any newer Stern games or CGC remakes? Their pf quality is really bad compared to what CPR puts out.

No I don't have any of the CGC or newer Sterns. I realize they have problems too! I have stacks of playfields bought from CPR over the years. I was a buyer of the first playfield they made. I know what to expect from them!

I bought playfields from the original manufacturers back in the day and IPB. I remember the beating the community gave Gene and Kim over their quality. I also had many conversations with them over their frustration with meeting customers expectation. I know Kim started making it her personal goal to hand pick through them and get the best playfields sent to customers she could. Gene started bringing them to shows and letting the customers pick for themselves.

Kevin and I have exchanged ideas on this and he knows where I'm coming from. My main concern was the physical durability of that clear on the saucer edge and how it would affect future wear. I agree the other areas are not a major concern. I was in no hurry to get my playfield! I told him on several occasions to take his time and pick me a good one. To me it seemed like those request fell on deaf ears. No responses were received after sending two e-mails. Only as a result of this post did I get a reply.

Seems to me he's taken more time to respond here than it would have taken to personally hand pick a good playfield for a long time customer.

Do to the special UV ink used for the orange, there is no way for the playfield restorers to correctly match this area when doing touch ups.

I would be more than happy to pay a little more for the quality I want. I thought that's what the gold was! How many grades do you really need if you're running tight tolerances and good QC? How about gold being the cream of the crop, silver has slight nits, and bronze has the rest of the flaws? I might be in the minority here again but that is how I looked at the grading system.

Maybe take a little more time with a replacement playfield, take some pictures and send to the customer. I have never personally handled my playfields. These flaws were seen in pictures sent to me of the playfields. It took me all of 1 minute to notice them. It really wasn't difficult!

I'm picky but I'm also reasonable, I've kept playfields with flaws in areas not affected by wear or in places that were noticeable when installed.

I've never had a customer of mine complain about me being to picky.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Orbian.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-taf-addams-family-playfield-announced?tu=Orbian and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.