1 (resized).jpg
20171212_161718 (resized).jpg
20171212_161612 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 692 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.
#351 6 years ago

I wish they had cut the openings in the white layer much more relaxed. OR made the hand-sketched keylines around the windows thicker. Either way, I see that similar tiny peekaboos were present on the originals as well (top photo provided above by ForceFlow):

- under the dot of the question mark
- to the left of G in THING
- to the left of DEAD
- above E in EXTRA
- to the left of COUSIN
- to the left of MAMUSHKA

Beyond that, I can't wait for people to see the original Williams colors on the repro's. These two photos show how faded and shifted so many of the colors are today. I mean, the main grey is an off-white in both photos! The top pic... where did the purple go? (it turned grey?) The orange had lost it's flouresence (by the look of it, although hard to get on a camera). The red is heading to an orange.

Anyway, carry on.

#352 6 years ago

I am not complaining, just to be clear.

The colors look great and I am stoked to have this. Just wanted to know if mine was standard expectation of gold.

cheers

#353 6 years ago

Mine is the same. Seems to look worse in pics. Overall, very happy though. The colors are so much more vivd than my original.

IMG_0623 (resized).jpgIMG_0623 (resized).jpg

#354 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Just wanted to know if mine was standard expectation of gold.

Yes, those tiny peekaboos on a few inserts (being present from layering of original films, not error, and as proven by ForceFlow's photo showing them on an HSA factory original sample) ... with all else being fabulous, it is a gold grade for sure.

http://www.classicplayfields.com/standards.html

Gold grade = "Score: "On a scale of 100" 97/100 to 99/100"

ie. there is no such thing as 100.00%

I know you're not complaining Hilton. It's all good. You see something, and you're wondering.

#355 6 years ago

cheers.

colors look amazing in person abd even some sparkle in spots!

#356 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

colors look amazing in person and even some sparkle in spots!

You have a VERY VERY sharp eye

I assume you are referring to the gold leaf around the main logo. If so, you are correct. I don't know what else would "sparkle" otherwise.

As a little treat for the early birds, for the first 100 playfields (my first silkscreen batch of TAFs printed) I added a wee 5% of metallic gold powder to the "mustard" ink for the outlines/leafing of the main logo. Just an extremely subtle effect, but there. If that is what you spotted... SURPRISE.

#357 6 years ago

Those little peekaboos as Kevin calls them do not bother me at all. Nice job.

#358 6 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

You have a VERY VERY sharp eye
I assume you are referring to the gold leaf around the main logo. If so, you are correct. I don't know what else would "sparkle" otherwise.
As a little treat for the early birds, for the first 100 playfields (my first silkscreen batch of TAFs printed) I added a wee 5% of metallic gold powder to the "mustard" ink for the outlines/leafing of the main logo. Just an extremely subtle effect, but there. If that is what you spotted... SURPRISE.

yup, that is what I spotted right away. Very nice touch!

first 100 are the Gold "sparkle" edition

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yup, that is what I spotted right away. Very nice touch!
first 100 are the Gold "sparkle" edition

Pics please?

#360 6 years ago

Here are two of my three with an original in between - love the florescent color match on the new ones. Sorry for the bad lighting...

IMG_5707 (resized).JPGIMG_5707 (resized).JPG

IMG_5706 (resized).JPGIMG_5706 (resized).JPG

IMG_5705 (resized).JPGIMG_5705 (resized).JPG

#361 6 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Here are two of my three with an original in between - love the florescent color match on the new ones. Sorry for the bad lighting...

BIG color difference on the green. Neat, though!

#362 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm wondering how that will look when it's installed in a game.

#363 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I was thinking the same thing. I'm wondering how that will look when it's installed in a game.

the green is actually very close to what they looked like NOS. I had a NOS to compare to my current pf about 5 years ago and original uninstalled NOS was much brighter green than my nice example which had been in the game for 25 years. I assume some dulling/darkening due to just ball dirt in top coat over time. I also assume that the NOS was darker than back in 92 just due to aging process.

#364 6 years ago

If I remember correctly, the original TAFs came with the darker green, but then the 'Gold' PFs had that lighter green. I had purchased an NOS Gold PF way back when, and it looked like that, when compared the the original TAF I had out at a few locations.

It's not a BAD thing, mind you - I like them both.

#365 6 years ago

Looks great. The quality looks much better than the Whirlwind playfields.

#366 6 years ago

Here is a TAFG I shopped a few years ago...

IMG_5026 (resized).JPGIMG_5026 (resized).JPG

IMG_5063 (resized).JPGIMG_5063 (resized).JPG

#367 6 years ago

I'm very appreciative of this run of PFs because as a previous poster put it "you could send me plywood covered in feces and it would be an improvement", but the green does look really weird to me. I've had 3 TAFs side-by-side in my garage doing repairs for people, and you could play the game "find the 6 differences between these two playfields" and eventually spot the subtle color differences between Sun, LencSmith, etc. -- namely the blue vs. purple hues in the mansion/trough area, the deeper red around the GREED book, markings in the trees/grass in the pops, etc. However, the green was always dark (and to me preferred) because the mansion and scenery is not bright/green/cheery -- that's not who the Addams Family characters are. This color does not darken with age (the opposite of B/W red cabinet fade? LOL), and has always been that way. I'm wondering if the pantone colors were grabbed from the later TAFG run (although even it wasn't THAT much brighter). I dunno. Every other color looks like an age corrected color (i.e. what they looked like NOS), but that green just doesn't sit well with me.

#368 6 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

So those teeny hairline "peeks" of the white (and they are zero to hairline tiny) are variable board to board, and based solely of how the wood sat physically in the jig.

I think the work so far is AMAZING!
I so look forward to getting my playfields.
My original has those slivers showing in the mansion, so I always figured it was just another Williams f#ck-up.
Now its verified, thanks.

However since you are in current production
Maybe shim the playfields 1/64" to 1/32"to the left to correct this?

#369 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I think the work so far is AMAZING!
I so look forward to getting my playfields.
My original has those slivers showing in the mansion, so I always figured it was just another Williams f#ck-up.
Now its verified, thanks.
However since you are in current production
Maybe shim the playfields 1/64" to 1/32"to the left to correct this?

I believe, based on what Kevin said above, is that if they do this, the hairline white would then appear on the other side of the insert. (Right side, instead of the left.) Because they were so tight like that.

#370 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I believe, based on what Kevin said above, is that if they do this, the hairline white would then appear on the other side of the insert. (Right side, instead of the left.) Because they were so tight like that.

I get it.
Hopefully most of them will be pretty close.

They do however look better than my original imho...

#371 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Quoted from Whysnow:

the green is actually very close to what they looked like NOS. I had a NOS to compare to my current pf about 5 years ago and original uninstalled NOS was much brighter green than my nice example which had been in the game for 25 years.

Make no mistake, guys... if you have a "dark" green original playfield, it's just one of the shittier batches from back in the day. Sorry. The dark green is simply 'incorrect' by original design standards. I'll explain:

With 20,000+ playfields to be made, they outsourced the crap outta the original playfield runs. All hands on deck, and CCC, Sun Process, and Lenc-Smith were all brought onboard to keep the production moving. With average runs batched 1000 at a time... they (combined) did 20+ batches of playfields... with ink mixes varied per attempt/run. So there is a whole slew of variations out there, across all the colors.

SO... THE GREEN:

The Williams official color (as noted on the original factory film) is PMS 348C (or Pantone 348C). This is what you see on our 2017 repro playfields. Lab-mixed. Densitometer-correct to within 99.99% of the Pantone standard. Anything else is simply incorrect, and just historical poor/hasty color mixing back in the day. Yes, age-darkening (and dirt) can be a factor in the green going deeper... a little... but it was usually "dark" up front... NIB on day one.

Frankly, the dark green looks hideous in comparison (and I cannot believe anybody would think the Williams artists wanted it to look that way). So dark and murky. Just not in the same "family" as the rest of the color pallate. As Hilton mentioned above, there are well-kept NOS specimens out there that still preserve the PMS 348C (usually Sun Process hit it the best, in their batches).

I'll attach a Pantone Color Guide photo below. These "medium" colors are VERY easy to screw up. The guys hand-batching the inks back in the 90's weren't really trying to be lab-accurate... just close. It only takes tiny amounts too much tint to take PMS 348C to PMS 349C (the next swatch on the page)... just read the tint mix. Black is usually the culprit... and final mixes are EXTREMELY sensitive to black being added. They probably added a tad too much, it went darker (PMS 349-ish result)... and they just went with it instead of throwing out $500 worth of ink.

Quoted from Coyote:

If I remember correctly, the original TAFs came with the darker green, but then the 'Gold' PFs had that lighter green.

It's not that TAFGolds were intentionally released with a different "version" of green. It's simply that all those years later (I believe it was CCC) simply took the time to get their green correct to what was indicated by Williams. It was one "unrushed" run, years after the frantic push to make 20,000 playfields FAST... and they mixed PMS 348C correctly.

The simple proof is that original TAFs (non-Golds) ... some have the correct PMS 348C lighter green... as well as NOS specimens from the day. It's as simple as which batch they came from (and they were usually a batch from Sun Process). Lenc-Smith, for example, COMPLETELY screwed up the mix of the purple! Man, they must have been going fast back then.

KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

Pantone 348 and 349Pantone 348 and 349

#372 6 years ago

Thanks for the explanation Kevin! Nice to learn some facts about these machines.

#373 6 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

Lenc-Smith, for example, COMPLETELY screwed up the mix of the purple! Man, they must have been going fast back then.

Or just had horrible pressmen and/or prepress technicians. I, up until a few weeks ago, worked in the flexographic printing industry for many years and it's amazing how a pressman who doesn't properly mix the specified PMS colors on the artwork proof page can really screw up how the finished product looks. It really doesn't take much of a variance in the ink ingredients(seen to the right of the Pantone number on that swatch page) and the finished product will look so off from what you originally designed, it's sad.

Also, as for the exposed white in the inserts, I can confirm it's not just a CPR thing, it's a factory artwork trapping flaw. Here are a few pics of my factory mylared playfield showing that the white wasn't trapped properly behind the black inner window lines of the inserts.

CPR got it right, folks. I know the tendency is to see what's different from what you've got, thinking yours is the standard by which all others are measured. But what most people don't realize is that what they've got might actually be 10-15% off from what the original designer had intended. Because they made so many of these machines, so fast, it's hard to nail down what the standard was if your sample is just what was produced. We all knew before CPR started this journey that there were three different versions of the playfield. It's well documented here and other places online. CPR's ability to rectify the past's sacrifices of of speed over quality presents the perfect opportunity to do right by the original artists and make our games as they were meant to be.

IMG_0462 (resized).JPGIMG_0462 (resized).JPG

IMG_0463 (resized).JPGIMG_0463 (resized).JPG

IMG_0464 (resized).JPGIMG_0464 (resized).JPG

IMG_0465 (resized).JPGIMG_0465 (resized).JPG

#374 6 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

It's not that TAFGolds were intentionally released with a different "version" of colors.

Thanks for the explanation, Kevin! However, they DID change the colors: the Book is 'gold' instead of red, and they added some gold to the logo, like you did in the first run here.

So is it possible that the original films were modified (instead of making a new set) for TAFG, and the original green is gone?

I LIKE the brighter colors, yeah - however, when operating back in the 90's, I had 5 TAFs out on routes and in arcades, purchased at different times, and all had a darker green color in them. I remember seeing the first TAFG, and was impressed by how much 'better' it looked.

#375 6 years ago

This green looks WAY better IMO

#376 6 years ago

PMS 348C is the labelled color on the original Williams film for green. It is indeed labelled "Addams Family" ... and not "Addams Family Gold". This is the exact same Williams film set that IPB (Gene Cunningham) used years ago for a few TAF runs, without distress over the green. Not that people are stressing much today, but it's a good discussion to have, and early while these are shipping at the start.

If I get a chance at the shop tomorrow, I take some photo snaps of the green film and let you all see by posting them here. Just so it's on here for prosterity.

KEVIN

{beating dead horse of green snipped}

UPDATE: here are the photos taken today, just for reference. FYI, 348C green isn't as "bright" in real life as a lot of the previous photography may have led some to believe. The shot I provided below shows it the best so far. Regardless, 348C is noted by Williams... and interestingly enough, they describe it as "dark green". So the question remains, how the factories mixed it, in my opinion.

As for our ink, trust in the Lab mix sample...it's going to be the exact one.... not our 4-year old Pantone book.

Enjoy:

IMG_20170920_170053.jpgIMG_20170920_170053.jpg
IMG_20170920_133527.jpgIMG_20170920_133527.jpg
IMG_20170920_133403.jpgIMG_20170920_133403.jpg
IMG_20170920_133418.jpgIMG_20170920_133418.jpg
IMG_20170920_133428.jpgIMG_20170920_133428.jpg

#377 6 years ago

The orange used on these new playfields is truly awesome. I know you guys went the extra mile and got the legit phosphorus paint and it shows. Photos don't do it any justice.

#378 6 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

If I get a chance at the shop tomorrow, I take some photo snaps of the green film and let you all see by posting them here. Just so it's on here for prosterity.

Oh man, I'd LOVE to see what one of those films looks like. I'm also quite curious as to the other PMS colors used on the other 10 films(or however many it was!). I've got my swatch book ready to compare how close or far off mine is(Feb. 6th, 1992, CGC) to those B/W originally dictated. I already checked the 348 for the graveyard and mine is a bit past 349, and by looking at the tine of it, it appears as though they added too much Process Blue in the mix. It's not as dark as some others posted here, but it's definitely not 348.

#379 6 years ago

Kevin,

Thank you for this very detailed explanation. For the sake of my eyes, having just painted our entire great room/kitchen a green/grey and finding an AMAZING difference in how much the "color" changes depending on what light hits it.... would you be so kind as to take a photo with your pantone 348C swatch next to one of the new PFs? Even WeirPinball's images above (1x1 vs. the 3 panel) look different depending on the photographed angle.

Anyways, can't wait for my payment email so I can get this magnet burned out PF onto the wall where it belongs.

#380 6 years ago

Thanks Kevin -
Again, not complaining, just curious to learn. (And, I love the details behind printing processes and layout stuff..!)

This is all fascinating.. were ALL colors on the field a Pantone color, or were there some CYMK areas mixed in? (I *believe* the former, but.. figure it couldn't hurt to ask..)

#381 6 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

Anyways, can't wait for my payment email so I can get this magnet burned out PF onto the wall where it belongs.

Stop being a baby about it and make it into gobble hole as nick suggested

#382 6 years ago

Looks like the "other manufacturer" announced their run of playfields today.

After years of waiting, it looks like we're going to be up to our ears in TAF playfields all at once

#383 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Looks like the "other manufacturer" announced their run of playfields today.
After years of waiting, it looks like we're going to be up to our ears in TAF playfields all at once

who is the "other" one? feel free to PM if you want it kept out of this thread.

#384 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

who is the "other" one? feel free to PM if you want it kept out of this thread.

done

#385 6 years ago

mirco

#386 6 years ago

My question is why did two manufacturers get the rights to reproduce this....

#387 6 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

My question is why did two manufacturers get the rights to reproduce this....

Who said anything about getting the rights?

#388 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Who said anything about getting the rights?

Now that would be interesting...

#389 6 years ago

Now if Mirco is paying no royalty fees,I would think his price should be considerably lower. But I doubt it will be.

#390 6 years ago
Quoted from fiberdude120:

Now if Mirco is paying no royalty fees,I would think his price should be considerably lower. But I doubt it will be.

It isn't. CPR's is more affordable.

#391 6 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Oh man, I'd LOVE to see what one of those films looks like.

the films aren't really going to show you anything. each film is simply a sheet of plastic that has black indicating where the color (specific to that film) should pass through the screen onto the playfield

in a nutshell:
each film layer is "exposed" onto a emulsifier covered silkscreen. the screen is then rinsed and the emulsifier remains on the unexposed areas of the silkscreen (the films act as a negative)

the colors are usually screened [one at a time] onto the playfield in reverse order from the lightest colors (starting with white) down to the darker colors and finally black last, with each color being allowed to cure a set number of days before the next color is screened. once all of the colored have been applied to the playfield, it is then clear coated

here's a pretty good video on the entire process (used for t-shirts)

#392 6 years ago

So, I've been reading up on Pantone colors a bit more, and from what I've been reading, it sounds like there are sometimes color changes or variances between each set of Pantone books when they were released every few years.

So if you use a color code from one year (ie, 1992) and then pull the book off the shelf from this year (2017), the colors may have been altered between the books as new colors were added or removed, or new batches of color mixed--even though (in theory) a color number code is supposed to remain fixed and always correspond to a specific color.

On top of that, the colors in the books fade over time, so you can't really go back and pull a 1992 book off the self and try to color match from that.

I'm not sure how accurate this is or if it affects the particular green we've all been looking at here (if it even affects it at all), but it seemed like an interesting tidbit of information that might also be a factor in explaining the color difference between a new color and an older one we are accustomed to (although errors in mixing are probably the more likely explanation).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#393 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

the films aren't really going to show you anything. each film is simply a sheet of plastic that has black indicating where the color (specific to that film) should pass through the screen onto the playfield
in a nutshell:
each film layer is "exposed" onto a emulsifier covered silkscreen. the screen is then rinsed and the emulsifier remains on the unexposed areas of the silkscreen (the films act as a negative)
the colors are usually screened [one at a time] onto the playfield in reverse order from the lightest colors (starting with white) down to the darker colors and finally black last, with each color being allowed to cure a set number of days before the next color is screened. once all of the colored have been applied to the playfield, it is then clear coated

I heard the other "one" can do like 10 pfs a day
How is that possible !?

#394 6 years ago
Quoted from Robert__:

I heard the other "one" can do like 10 pfs a day
How is that possible !?

Automation. There is a big robot that does all the work.

#395 6 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

in a nutshell:

This isn't meant as a slight or anything, but unlike 99.9% of other folks here on Pinside, I actually know what I'm looking for, and at, when it comes to printing films, plates, screens, impressions, etc. I used to work in the flexographic printing business as a graphic artist and I also made the printing plates. I know what color separations are, I know what Pantone books are(I've got multiple sets). If you read my other recent posts here, you would have seen that.

#396 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Automation. There is a big robot that does all the work.

Aha ok so you dont need to wait between all
the screen print layers !?

#397 6 years ago
Quoted from Robert__:

Aha ok so you dont need to wait between all
the screen print layers !?

I have not seen that process in action, so I couldn't say. I imagine a run of playfields are done in batches layer by layer to allow them time to cure in between.

#398 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

play fields are done in batches layer by layer to allow them time to cure in between

bingo

#399 6 years ago

I've updated my post above, and the photos I promised are now included. Scroll up a bit. Thx.

#400 6 years ago

My first NIB arrived today!

TAF (resized).jpgTAF (resized).jpg

There are 692 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-taf-addams-family-playfield-announced/page/8?hl=mattmarr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.