1 (resized).jpg
20171212_161718 (resized).jpg
20171212_161612 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 692 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 14.
#301 6 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

Made my payment 1st thing this morning
Can't wait to see this awesome playfield.

I'm getting excited as well!
Did you received an email with payment instructions? Not sure how this process works.

#302 6 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

I'm getting excited as well!
Did you received an email with payment instructions? Not sure how this process works.

Yes,

Kevin will send you an email.

#303 6 years ago

Waiting for that elusive email from Kevin!

#304 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

I thought they meant the teaser pictures, before the 8th

Oh I wasn't sure. I just figured I would not post about it at all.

#305 6 years ago

I'm in. Payment sent. Waiting game begins for the PF to show up on my doorstep. Can't wait!

#306 6 years ago

Make sure you check your junk email folder if you're waiting for that email. Found mine there this morning, payment sent!

#307 6 years ago

Got my money in order. After working on my TAF for nearly a year to clear it of all its electrical bugs, I cannot wait for this. Looking forward to this swap. My TAF will be going way up in intrinsic value after this (Read: don't plan on selling).

#308 6 years ago

I was hoping I would be able to find a project TAF for a reasonable price sometime in the years preceding this release. Somehow, I don't think that's going to happen now. I figure there will be a mad scramble to grab project games now that roached playfields can be replaced again.

#309 6 years ago

Finally I got the email
Thanks Cpr Team

#311 6 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Make sure you check your junk email folder if you're waiting for that email. Found mine there this morning, payment sent!

what address did the email come from?

#312 6 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

what address did the email come from?

Mine came from Kevin Wayte.
PM'd you the actual email address, not sure if he wants it posted publicly on a forum.

#313 6 years ago

When did you receive your original reply from CPR?

My auto-response email came from them on Mon 11/24/2014, 9:25 AM.
Maybe you're further down the list still?

#314 6 years ago

got my tracking # - 3 pfs should be here Monday.

#315 6 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

It would be great to post some comparison pics to an original.

#316 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

will do

#317 6 years ago

One of the first things to check is....the thickness of the playfield!

#318 6 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

PM'd you the actual email address, not sure if he wants it posted publicly on a forum.

thank you

#319 6 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

Wow, 3! Thats dedication.

#320 6 years ago
Quoted from PinZig:

Must be a family run business. When I asked for the Whirlwind playfield I signed up for they to me to go to Helen Wayte.

#321 6 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Must be a family run business. When I asked for the Whirlwind playfield I signed up for they to me to go to Helen Wayte.

I see what ya did there

#322 6 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Wow, 3! Thats dedication.

No wonder I couldn't get one !

#323 6 years ago

I'm still waiting on my email.

#324 6 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Holy crap, I actually got one without an explanation

#325 6 years ago

The one and only pinball benifit of living in Canada: CPR items are shipped from Canada and don't have to pass thru international hands.

UPS delivery scheduled for today! Waiting at the door like Al Bundy waits for a pizza...

Screenshot_20170907-152512 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20170907-152512 (resized).jpg

#326 6 years ago

Mhhh ... also no Mail yet ...

#327 6 years ago

There are gonna be belly-archers (it's pinball, there always are)...but it looks good to me. Thanks, CPR!

20170914_152800 (resized).jpg20170914_152800 (resized).jpg

20170914_152834 (resized).jpg20170914_152834 (resized).jpg

20170914_152818 (resized).jpg20170914_152818 (resized).jpg

20170914_152742 (resized).jpg20170914_152742 (resized).jpg

#328 6 years ago

Looks good. I so wish I could have made the sign-up list.
Interesting that they put the logo in the small square where the barcode label went.

#329 6 years ago
Quoted from spiroagnew:

There are gonna be belly-archers (it's pinball, there always are)...but it looks good to me. Thanks, CPR!

Any issues? Just sent my whirlwind gold back because of quality. On the list for this one.

#330 6 years ago

Paid for 3 pfs and I should have them by next weekend. Ohh it Will be a long week.

#331 6 years ago

Looking forward to the playfield, not looking forward to the swap.

#332 6 years ago

Yea thats a pain in the ****

#333 6 years ago

I'm going to pop in, since TAF is actively shipping and there seems to be a ton of new folks who never went through a CPR preorder & release before. So I'll comment on a few things, just to nip any misconceptions early...

Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Waiting for that elusive email from Kevin!

Quoted from TomDK:

Mhhh ... also no Mail yet ...

As with every CPR playfield run the last 12 years, we send out "waves" of Payment Instructions Emails about 30-40 a week, and we'll be spanning 2-3 months doing this for TAF. This allows an orderly payment & shipping queue to form, so it's not one big flood. There were a lot of Preorder and Standby List signups for this run. We send the emails out in the exact order of Preorder/Standby emails arrived (by original date and time). So... the guys who signed up on week 1 get their Instructions earliest, while the guys who signed up Year 2 get their Instructions last. It's just a matter of time. We have enough playfields so everybody will get served (at worst "silvers" to the last 10% of the list, but served nonetheless). So hold tight, and watch for your instructions email. It WILL come. Everybody will get their instructions. I personally click and reply to each and every email that came into the TAF and Standby Inboxes, and none are skipped.

We have no doubt this will likely become a "thing" as it's always common (and some people find it fun) to play "A-B Compare".

Just want to confidently say up front -> If comparisons are attempted (colors, etc), know that ours is the paradigm, and the original is "incorrect" . Not the other way around. Sounds cocky for us to say that, but it's essentially true in the case of TAF - for very specific reasons. We want to be very clear about this, because we want to ward off the way (for example) the 2004 and 2009 Fathom playfield repros were mistakenly picked-at by some. Yes, this happened before with Fathom (twice), especially by newcomers who had never bought a repro playfield before, and were so "shocked" by the repro playfield colors being different from their Fathom original, that they claimed our playfield's colors were wrong. Of course, it was the ORIGINAL playfield that had become 'wrong' over time. Our playfield was made with the original factory films, each film noting the exact Pantone spot color for each layer, and that is what we used. It simply had been so long since anybody had seen a NIB Fathom, that they forgot that the game was based on blues, not seafoam greens!

Well the same goes for TAF. Original factory films (so the art is EXACT to an original), and we used William's EXACT noted Pantone spot colors for each layer. Not only that, but we went beyond the norm and didn't mix a single ink in-house this time... we had the lab at the ink factory mix us gallons of each TAF ink, custom, to within 99.99% accuracy of the Pantone standard, as measured by a densitometer. So the CPR TAF repro looks exactly as Williams intended it. Regardless of what TAG, Lenc-Smith, or Sun Process produced back in the early 90's (because they all look slightly different, depending on what factory produced your original playfield - and which run, because dozens of runs were done back then). Different purple. Different orange. Different grey. Different "paisley rug" results. Etc. Depended on which playfield, from which producer, you got in your game. Well not any more...

We followed the Williams film colors, and that is what you get on the CPR repro. Will it look different than what you have in your game? Likely yes. But in awesome BETTER ways. It will be like turning back the clock to 1992, when your playfield was brand new. Zero fade. Zero color shift. Zero ball swirls. Zero loss of flouresence in your orange. Perfect paisley rug via Williams layering trick, done right.

We think these are the best TAF playfields done to date. Better than Sun Process, TAG, Lenc-Smith, the IPB attempts, etc. We wanted to carry the yoke and produce the 'definitive' TAF playfield. So we hope people will be extatic with what they find in their box. Might their possibly be teeny weeny tiny little "wheres Waldo" blems to find here and there? Sure. Just like originals. These are virtually handmade, and aside from the CNC machine, they are all 'analog' produced using original and human oldschool processes. Each board is slightly unique, right down to it's woodgrain. So while "golds" are our "best of the batch" , no playfield is 100.00% perfect. But 98-99% perfect, no problem. Even "silvers" will be a massive facelift (even "bronzes" too) for aging TAF games out there. It's all in the final look of the swapped game, populated and lit, that's the true measure of success. We think everybody will be extremely happy with how their TAF will look (and play) afterward. We don't normally dabble in "A-title" or DMD playfields, so we paid extra attention and care in making sure these were as faithful to the Williams vision as humanly possible.

Quoted from meSz:

One of the first things to check is....the thickness of the playfield!

As was told to the Preorder / Standby lists via private email blitz before release, TAF is on our best custom gameboard woodstock ever. Of course the thickness will be correct. We haven't used a non-standard gameboard thickness since 2007. Rest assured, TAF comes on our (freaking expensive) latest custom-mill-run gameboard stock, 17/32" panels made in Wisconsin USA, and the heaviest playfield stock in the hobby right now. Alternating hard rock maple & ash... no sweet gum or anything else for cheaper plys. This is as good as it gets, and why current CPR playfields are 2-5 pounds heavier than originals and other repros from other producers.

Quoted from Coyote:

Looks good. I so wish I could have made the sign-up list.
Interesting that they put the logo in the small square where the barcode label went.

1. You CAN make the sign-up list. Just use the link on the Preorder page at our site. We're still taking names for the Standby List, if you send a message into that box. Now since you'd be at the VERY end of the list, you'll likely only get a shot at a Silver or Bronze graded TAF... but you'd get one nonetheless. Even those blow away most originals currently in games, and played tens of thousands of times.

2. The "barcode box" being relcaimed was our internal idea. Leaving it blank looked ugly and dumb. We weren't going to produce fake bar code decals, of course. So it's original purpose had long outlived its practical use in 2017. Most playfields have the game name/logo right next to the part number... TAF didn't... so in the end, it looks glove-fit to put it there, as the part number resides just an inch below it. Plus we didn't (and couldn't) alter the historic original films to do it. We added it at the end. It also instantly denotes the 2017 CPR repro, just by seeing it. Instant provenance.

Hope all this helps. We're up to our necks keeping things moving along. I rarely come out from under my rock to get a chance to browse on here, so this will be it for now. I wish I could surf Pinside more often, but I only get rare blips due to this summer having been so darn hectic both CPR wise and recreationally/personally (we try to really take advantage of summer in Canada, because we only get it for 4-5 months a year).

KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

#334 6 years ago

If I read this correctly, I've been on the wait list since it reopened and it looks like I'll get one! YAAAA..

#335 6 years ago

Amazing detailed update! Thanks Kevin!

#336 6 years ago

Got my PF today.

Thanks CPR and overall looks great.

Curious if the black keyline should cover all colors below or if it is normal for base colors to be inside/showing the insert keyline?

I dont have my TAF handy to compare but that was something that looked a bit odd (entirely possible that is how the originals are also)

#337 6 years ago

So far so good.

IMG_4705 (resized).JPGIMG_4705 (resized).JPG

#338 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Got my PF today.
Thanks CPR and overall looks great.
Curious if the black keyline should cover all colors below or if it is normal for base colors to be inside/showing the insert keyline?
I dont have my TAF handy to compare but that was something that looked a bit odd (entirely possible that is how the originals are also)

in what area?

#339 6 years ago

the mansion mainly

#340 6 years ago

Left side of inserts

IMG_1269 (resized).JPGIMG_1269 (resized).JPG

IMG_1270 (resized).JPGIMG_1270 (resized).JPG

#341 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Left side of inserts

My original is not like that at all.

#342 6 years ago

Wow, I would not be happy with that registration at all!

#343 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Left side of inserts

Is that the "gold" version?

#344 6 years ago

Hilton,

I'd complain....

I just opened the box on my playfield. The registration is off a little, but not as bad as yours.

#345 6 years ago

I must be blind I don't see it .. can someone circle it

#346 6 years ago

My Addams play field is so bad, they could send me a box of plywood covered in feces and it would be an improvement. I hope everybody gets what they need/want, but I am ecstatic to get a new play field for my favorite machine. I know nobody is suggesting otherwise, but I greatly appreciate that a company goes to such lengths to help 20+ year old machines look good again. Now, I just wish I didn't feel so apprehensive about the swap...

#347 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Got my PF today.

Quoted from indypinhead:

Hilton,
I'd complain....
I just opened the box on my playfield. The registration is off a little, but not as bad as yours.

Guys,

I've printed playfields on my press for 13 years now... Probably 15,000 playfields by now, across many dozens of different runs.

I assure you, the results you see are dead-on registration of all 11 layers of the TAF stack, right from the original films. There are (4) hairline crosshairs in all four corners of the playfield (that get hit on only the first 10 playfields, then are covered). I can get dead-on by usually the 3rd or 4th impression now. Once the crosshairs are locked on all 4 corners, I lock the press into position.

All impressions after that, per print shift per color layer, have zero movement. The only deviation (which may be a hair north south east or west... and I mean a hair) would be from the wooden board edge sitting in the jig on the press surface. Board to board.

Black went down last of course. I saw what you were seeing. Crosshairs dead-on all the way around. Moving the black to the right a bit would have set the entire rest of the playfield (and several black trappings on small details everywhere) to the right. I made the judgment call to leave it where it is. I'm not going to tinker with their original trapping. That's playing with fire.

I can tell you from looking at the films, that the hand-cut of the Mansion insert openings in the white layer were very very tight. They cut them essentially to the EXACT inside edge of the black... rather than the (proper) way of having the white (or color) end HALFWAY, in the middle the keyline. So those teeny hairline "peeks" of the white (and they are zero to hairline tiny) are variable board to board, and based solely of how the wood sat physically in the jig. But rest assured, the press was stamping the layer in the exact same spot, to the thousanth of an inch, every single time. Only the gameboard's position could ever-so-slightly vary (due to the right edge, grain swell differences, coarseness of the saw cut at the mill, etc... teeny tiny stuff we're talking about here.

I don't even see it anymore. I also notice it's not as much of a close cut on the right side mansion inserts. But that was indeed Williams' artwork. Yes, I'd be curious how it looked on Sun Process, Lenc-Smith, and TAG playfields... and IPB too. They all had different copies of film sets. Back then, they were all optical redux's... nothing was digital. Would be interesting to know how they laid up as an 11 layer stack back in the 90's at several different factories.

Yes, the vast majority of people will need it pointed out. It's not something most peoples' eyes catch or notice. Especially since the mansion is loaded with white flecks in the clap boards.

KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

#348 6 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

I must be blind I don't see it .. can someone circle it

Look at the inside edge of the black lines of the inserts, mainly on the left side of the inserts. There's a small sliver there that isn't supposed to be, but it's not all that noticeable.

http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/PF_Production.html#30

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg

#349 6 years ago

Is that the "gold" version?

yes, this was a gold version as I was 3rd or 4th in line.

#350 6 years ago

can I see some photos of others CPR gold TAFs as they roll in please.

if this is how they all are then no big deal. if mine is a one off then i will just ask for an exchange to get a comparable gold to what other have. no real issue for me, just want what I paid for (i.e. if this is similar to other golds then that is just how it is)

There are 692 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 14.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-taf-addams-family-playfield-announced/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.