(Topic ID: 303897)

CPR reproduction playfield 5-layer polyeurethane clearcoated??

By Mr_Outlane

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WeatherbyMAG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 2 years ago

I think it's just a case of poor wording. I'm fairly sure they are using Automotive grade Urethane. Some people interchange the terms polyurethane & urethane, when they should'nt as it leads to confusion like this. They are not going to be putting oil based polyurethane on these like you find at Lowes for your hardwood floors or pine paneling etc. Typically Urethane is water based, poly is oil based.

I think the biggest thing here is they are now advertising the fact they use 5 coats. (although I suspect they have been using that many for a little while now, they just did'nt advertise anywhere how many coats they used) I can tell you on their older stuff (10 years ago etc) they were not using near that many. My guess is just simple 2 coat deal & move on. Their clear has certainly gotten thicker & better over the past 2-5 years.

Also keep in mind.... "rattle can 2 pac" Stands for 2 Part Auto Clear. It's basically similar stuff as CPR & Kruzman, HEP, Myself etc use on PF's but IMO it is thinned a bit more than normal to help it spray from an aerosol can, so it has more thinner in it. I'm talking about Spraymax... which keeps the 2 part chemicals (clear & hardener) separate in the can until you burst the diaphram that separates the 2 & then begins the mixing process.

When you are spraying Urethane auto clear from a gun instead of an aerosol can, typically it is not thinned down & we are able to shoot it (it's fairly thick) with larger gun tips. Normal spray gun tip is bit on small side for auto clear or a very heavy thick epoxy primer etc. The clear I use gets mixed at a 4 to 1 ratio, 4 parts clear to 1 part hardener & I spray with a 1.6MM tip in my gun.

& you choose your hardener based on the temp of the room the clear will be curing in.

I thought it was interesting to see pics Kevin from CPR posted a few weeks ago of the drying racks of PF's in their clear process & see the sanding between coats. They definitely put more work into these PF's than most people can imagine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider WeatherbyMAG.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-reproduction-playfield-5-layer-polyeurethane-clearcoated?tu=WeatherbyMAG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.