31Yzj1wuKFL.jpg
0001-1000-labels-roll-l-1240-0001_flor.png
Lower_playfield.jpg
IMG_4874.jpg
IMG_4873.jpg
IMG_4872.jpg
RaidersScan.gif
IMG_4871.jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

Thanks for adding info to the thread. I have not had any time to start mine yet, but hope to shortly!

2 months later
#52 8 years ago

Bumping....have you had a chance to get into any of these Rob?

#53 8 years ago

You will get good results from the CPR playfield swap if you do the following:

1) Never trust any of the dimples. IMO it would be better without them because they are ballparky at best. Even the Bally playfields were this way. When you do a swap yourself, it is an opportunity to layout all the posts and assemble everything with a level of precision that wasn't originally achieved at the factory. These games were mass-produced. Some turned-out better than others. By doing your own playfield swap you can make yours perfect.

I use rulers and calipers to spot all of the posts and use the original playfield as a guideline in reference to the pre-drilled "thru" holes already in the playfield. Taking the extra time is worth it. Why hurry? Look at the swap as a multi-session project.

2) One thing you'll notice about the CPR EBD and Fathom playfields is that they drilled the lamp socket holes the wrong size. They are drilled for #44 style bayonet sockets rather than #555 wedge sockets and must be opened-up if you plan to use the #555 lamps. This can be done without damaging the clear coat with a Dremel tool with the sanding drum. It takes a while though. This was an oversight by CPR. If they would have drilled the playfields to the correct sizes either style lamp socket would have fit well.

The Illinois Pinball (IPB) Eight Ball Deluxe playfields were superior to the CPR EBD playfields in several ways but the CPR playfields aren't too bad and you can get good results with either.

Some of the features that were better about the IPB playfields were:

1) The artwork registration is better.

2) The colors are more accurate to OEM. Contrary to what anyone tells you, the areas under the plastics were not the pale while some think it was. Just look at other Ballys from the era. Most were white and they didn't "yellow" to the level EBD would have had to have yellowed if it were originally the same white. The theme of EBD was a custard hue as the cabinet and playfield apron were too.

3) The wood seemed to be a little better (less warpage).

4) The lamp socket holes are the correct diameter.

5) The pre-drilled thru holes are more accurate.

6) The playfields are not dimpled (for me it's better without them since I don't go by them anyway). This is really a non-issue because most of the CPR dimples aren't so far off they would be exposed.

The CPR EBD playfields are definitely nice pieces too so I don't mean to trash them. The IPB ones were just a little better that's all. Gene had decades of experience in the industry and was a stickler for accuracy on the EBD and Kiss playfields. Both IPB and CPR had "seconds" and rejects for various issues though so that's something to look out for too if buying either.

If you take the time to assemble either one nicely, you will end-up with a showpiece you can be proud of. Just don't get too hung-up on the dimples. You can use them if you want but it's not that much harder to spot the holes yourself. You can use the dimple as a ballpark reference if you want and then position the post or lamp socket that is supposed to go there and tweak the location some by eyeballing it and get good results. Use more precise measurements if you are a perfectionist.

Once you install the plastics you can't see the white or custard areas underneath so it really isn't a deal-breaker either way. I've done both playfields plus several NOS EBD playfield swaps and always get great results regardless.

If and when CPR decides to manufacture another batch of EBD playfields (and they should because it is probably the single most in-demand title out there), I'm sure they will address most of the issues the 1st edition had. They seem pretty hard-headed about the colors but that's OK. They are still beautiful.

If you are lucky enough to find any of these playfields you have something that a lot of people would love to have and would spend big bucks to get their hands on.

#54 8 years ago

Thanks for the info Gatecrasher. EBD is a game many remember playing even if their not pinheads. Luckily there are a lot out there....just really nice ones with stellar playfields are harder to find...game got a lot of play on location.

#55 8 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe is one of the few early Bally SS titles that is worth a $1,000 (give or take) playfield swap. There are a few other titles like Fathom and Kiss, but for the majority of the other titles you really need to have a sentimental interest because you will probably have a harder time getting much of a return out of them if your goal is to simply flip it for profit.

I don't think the majority of people doing playfield swaps do them just to flip the machine though. They do it because they want to keep the machine.

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

2) The colors are more accurate to OEM. Contrary to what anyone tells you, the areas under the plastics were not the pale while some think it was.

Even after Kevin showed you the *original separations* that have no "creme" there, you're still trumpeting this nonsense?

Even proof you're wrong doesn't change your opinion.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/will-cpr-run-eight-ball-deluxe-playfields?tu=kevincpr

#57 8 years ago

Make them the way you want.

I'll still buy them.

#58 8 years ago

Glad to see my thread is still alive. I still haven't started any playfield swaps due to lack of funds (and job), but hope to dig in one my situation is better.

2 months later
#59 8 years ago

Rob....any update on getting any of these started soon?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

£ 195.00
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Corbin, KY
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 40.00
Lighting - Led
NorthStar Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Florissant, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-playfield-swap-information-thread/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.