IMG_9620 (resized).jpeg
IMG_9621 (resized).jpeg
20211029_122723 (resized).jpg
20220826_143723 (resized).jpg
20220826_143750 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240110_150159_Firefox.jpg
tmp.gif
#1 6 months ago

I'm restoring a Flash Gordon and plan on selling it. I have a CPR playfield but I not sure how much it will increase the value. Is there a big difference between it an a hardtop?

Brad

#2 6 months ago

Well the CPR is a real thing and a hardtop isn't. Why do either if you're just going to sell it? If you're trying to make a profit than hardtop is not the Way to go

#3 6 months ago

I shy away from hardtops. But that's just me.

#4 6 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well the COR is a real thing and a hardtop isn't. Why do either if you're just going to sell it? If you're trying to make a profit than hardtop is not the Way to go

The original PF is in very bad shape. I've had this machine for 20 years and have been tinkering with on and off. I bought the CPR 10 years ago. I have thought about putting the old PF in and selling that way. Just not sure which way to go now.

#5 6 months ago

10 years ago = silkscreened, higher quality than the new stuff

#6 6 months ago

If the CPR playfield is not stamped with gold, silver or bronze, then it was digitally printed.

#7 6 months ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

The original PF is in very bad shape. I've had this machine for 20 years and have been tinkering with on and off. I bought the CPR 10 years ago. I have thought about putting the old PF in and selling that way. Just not sure which way to go now.

I would sell it with the PF or separately for the most cash. Like above, silkscreen from those years more desirable.
I've done some SS PFs and Flash Gordon was def the toughest. Personally wouldn't want to put all that time into it and try to get some of that back. Too much work...but I'm no pro or anything.

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

If the CPR playfield is not stamped with gold, silver or bronze, then it was digitally printed.

I think Flash Gordons were made before gold/silver/bronze grading

#9 6 months ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

I think Flash Gordons were made before gold/silver/bronze grading

I had one labeled as silver.

#10 6 months ago

And I sure wouldn't want to break the whole thing down just to put a hardtop on it.

#11 6 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Where is the stamp, on the back?

#12 6 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

And I sure wouldn't want to break the whole thing down just to put a hardtop on it.

It's already broke down. I've been repairing and rebuilding all devices under the PF.

#13 6 months ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Where is the stamp, on the back?

Stamped on the front face of the playfield

#14 6 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Buy one that has been swapped out and do it that way. Then do the swap.

I debated the hardtop vs CPR with FG. I did the hardtop basically because it came with the game when I bought it, and I wanted to use the money for a Firpower playfield. Sure, it's not as good as the real thing but it looks damned good and the play doesn't suffer at all. And I don't have to worry about the quality issues CPR has fought at times. You spend all that money for one, then you have to have someone like Kruzman clear it. I don't have that problem but I'm lucky

#15 6 months ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

...You spend all that money for one, then you have to have someone like Kruzman clear it. I don't have that problem but I'm lucky

I guess I've been lucky all 3 times. Getting a new PF cleared again is insanity and the height of pinside-ism (lucky in the clear area....not the other "CPR quirkiness")
I'd go clear it myself for 1/800th of the price if I had to.

Quoted from EMsInKC:

...Sure, it's not as good as the real thing but it looks damned good and the play doesn't suffer at all.

Well that's an owner vs selling issue. My FG had an early hardtop, and whilst not looking great, played just fine...perfect in fact. I just meant for selling I think it limits your audience right away with a hard top.

Of course now we knowm the game is broken down, that's a whole 'nother question.

#16 6 months ago

I was in this situatiin a couple years ago. Had a bad cats with a new pf and ramps for a full restore. Ended up selling the game and playfield/parts as a package. Realistically I probably got 500-600 less than restored.

I'd just sell the game and pf separately unless you're trying to squeeze out max price. There's not a lot of margin for the time required to do a swap. Not to mention all the little stuff that adds cost when swapping like replacing lamp sockets, new targets etc.

#17 6 months ago

How is spraying a clear liquid fluid all over the playfield and waiting for it to dry, and then buffing it out any different then a thin plastic sheet with artwork printed on it.

There's been tons of post on this topic. I did a Hardtop on an EK and really like it and when I sold it got good money for it.

It's just a pinball machine. Their only worth what someone is willing to pay.

#18 6 months ago
Quoted from timab2000:

How is spraying a clear liquid fluid all over the playfield and waiting for it to dry, and then buffing it out any different then a thin plastic sheet with artwork printed on it.
There's been tons of post on this topic. I did a Hardtop on an EK and really like it and when I sold it got good money for it.
It's just a pinball machine. Their only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Because TheLaw says so. All noobs bow down and take the word of gospel!
Plus “it just plays different” arguments will be piling in shortly

So sick of people that don’t have hardtop games or only played shitty beater installs they played at a show saying hardtops are bad.

#19 6 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Because TheLaw says so. All noobs bow down and take the word of gospel!
So sick of people that don’t have hardtop games or only played shitty beater installs they played at a show saying hardtops are bad.

Huh?

Quoted from TheLaw:

My FG had an early hardtop, and whilst not looking great, played just fine...perfect in fact.

#20 6 months ago

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m pumped
You finally unignored me hahaha
tmp.giftmp.gif
I always thought we were cool then like 4 years ago boom I’m cast out!

#21 6 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My FG had an early hardtop, and whilst not looking great, played just fine...perfect in fact. I just meant for selling I think it limits your audience right away with a hard top.

I’m a moron and I missed this…

#22 6 months ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m pumped
You finally unignored me hahaha

No idea why you were
Maybe I got sick of your shit? Maybe i was on my period? Well breath everyone it's over
I'm mostly confused aboot this ignored part

Screenshot_20240110_150159_Firefox.jpgScreenshot_20240110_150159_Firefox.jpg
#23 6 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No idea why you were
Maybe I got sick of your shit? Maybe i was on my period? Well breath everyone it's over
I'm mostly confused aboot this ignored part
[quoted image]

Probably got sick of my shit for sure!

#24 6 months ago

I've done both. The Hard Top was a ton of work and I would probably just do a CPR if I had to do it all over.

I will say my Taxi with a Hard Top plays incredible....the ball just glides so well.

#25 6 months ago

What's the cost difference on the CPR and Hard Top? If you got the CPR for $900 and have put out another $400 for the Hard Top will you sell the completed game for $500 more if you put the CPR in it? That's the actual question, ya? In my opinion, FG's have a ceiling people will pay and unless you are top end restorer getting much more than the average price you see here on Pinside will be a challenge regardless of whether it has a CPR or a Hard Top in it, I'd go with the cheapest, fastest option personally. I feel like selling the CPR for the same or more than you paid for it and picking up a hard top is what gets you to that.

#26 6 months ago
Quoted from roar:

What's the cost difference on the CPR and Hard Top? If you got the CPR for $900 and have put out another $400 for the Hard Top will you sell the completed game for $500 more if you put the CPR in it? That's the actual question, ya? In my opinion, FG's have a ceiling people will pay and unless you are top end restorer getting much more than the average price you see here on Pinside will be a challenge regardless of whether it has a CPR or a Hard Top in it, I'd go with the cheapest, fastest option personally. I feel like selling the CPR for the same or more than you paid for it and picking up a hard top is what gets you to that.

I see what you're saying. It gives me something to think about.

#27 6 months ago

My FG turned out amazing with Hardtop. I swapped out inserts with starburst and really pops. Was not that difficult. I have to say at the time I did the restoration 2 years ago, a CPR was not available. Sold it and got a good price.

20211029_122723 (resized).jpg20211029_122723 (resized).jpg20220826_143723 (resized).jpg20220826_143723 (resized).jpg20220826_143750 (resized).jpg20220826_143750 (resized).jpg
#28 6 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I guess I've been lucky all 3 times. Getting a new PF cleared again is insanity and the height of pinside-ism (lucky in the clear area....not the other "CPR quirkiness")
I'd go clear it myself for 1/800th of the price if I had to.

Well that's an owner vs selling issue. My FG had an early hardtop, and whilst not looking great, played just fine...perfect in fact. I just meant for selling I think it limits your audience right away with a hard top.
Of course now we knowm the game is broken down, that's a whole 'nother question.

You have gotten lucky. The issues with those playfields are well known. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. If you're ok paying $900 for a playfield that ends up looking like a plowed field, bless your heart.

#29 6 months ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

You have gotten lucky. The issues with those playfields are well known.

That's all well and good, but isn't really the topic here since he already has the PF

I have a CPR with wrong colored inserts FFS no doubt they have thier issues

#30 6 months ago

CPRs or Hardtops

IMG_9620 (resized).jpegIMG_9620 (resized).jpegIMG_9621 (resized).jpegIMG_9621 (resized).jpeg
#31 6 months ago

Both are good and both have had issues. I have done 4 CPR PF swaps, 1 was a rescreen, and two of those were FG. Also 2 NOS Bally PF's swaps. CPR provides a great service to the hobby but IMO the digitals aren't as good as the silkscreened. To the casual observer they look great. But side by side with an OE you can see the difference with the digital print. But honestly, I could care less, if it gets a beat PF game going, that's fine. I play pinball not search the PF for defects when done.

If I have a choice I'll always go for a silkscreened Gold rather than the digital print because the OE was screened.

#32 6 months ago

And to follow up, older CPR graded silkscreened PF and newer digital prints do have insert that shrink, like the OE PF's and you can feel that under the clear. Big issue, likely not, but I have them shot with more clear anyway. Because after a ball rolls over it for a long time, it will wear eventually.

CPR told me they reduced the amount of clear they applied. When they rescreened my FG, I took it without clear. A friend did the clear and it's really nice.

I'm not dissing CPR, they are vital to bringing old games to life. I got a digital Bally Playboy PF from a customer that had horrible dimpling, 1st run in the digital era. Ball couldn't make up the shooter lane. They made it right and I shipped them several PF's to correct those issues. It worked out.

#33 6 months ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

I'm not dissing CPR, they are vital to bringing old games to life. I got a digital Bally Playboy PF from a customer that had horrible dimpling, 1st run in the digital era. Ball couldn't make up the shooter lane.

From the DIMPLING???!?! wow.

For the op just sell the pf with the machine or offer separate you never get your time back in doing these things.

#34 6 months ago

I'm just going to stick with the CPR pf and finish the dream.

#35 6 months ago
Quoted from slochar:

From the DIMPLING???!?! wow.

Yes. The predrilled holes for the rails made the ball come to halt just before the arch. A lot of dicking around to fix it. The grotto area was also bad. But they paid shipping on the old Playboy, another title and took my FG for a rescreen. Mike was great in dealing with it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
South Milwaukee, WI
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 90.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.