Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

5685EE67-72E0-4AE6-8AF6-136F13DC2EA1 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

I recently purchased a Williams Fire! This has been on my wish list for a while since several members of her family are fire fighters. I ran across a machine by chance relatively close (4 hours away) that I purchased. The machine is in very nice shape considering some of the examples I've run across. The playfield is in great shape. The mylar is intact and there are no wear spots. My wife commented that we should get a repro playfield while they are still around. I doubt CPR would ever run them again.

CPR has a few that are bronze. Planetary Pinball has the CPR playfields but they don't list the grade, from the price I would assume that they are gold. I emailed them to confirm that they are in fact gold and they responded that as the licensee, vendors send them "firsts". They indicated I could pay for their playfield assurance option which would give me pictures of what they have.

I thought the response was a bit vague so I contacted CPR to confirm. CPR stated they can't confirm what grade of playfields they have. CPR said they could tell what they have because they would be stamped on the back.

I thought Planetary's response was a bit odd, I didn't think I should have to pay for the playfield assurance option to know which of the three grades I'd be getting. I could see using that service to get the best playfield of a group that are all the same grade. I wanted to find out if anyone has gotten a playfield from them and could confirm if they were supplied with "firsts" or we would call gold.

Thanks

#2 1 year ago

Only silkscreened PF's got grades. Fire is one of the last left. Take what you can get. They show bronze only now.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from n2vsw:

I thought Planetary's response was a bit odd, I didn't think I should have to pay for the playfield assurance option to know which of the three grades I'd be getting. I could see using that service to get the best playfield of a group that are all the same grade. I wanted to find out if anyone has gotten a playfield from them and could confirm if they were supplied with "firsts" or we would call gold.

Yeah, I don't really understand PPS's approach for charging extra just to figure out the actual product that you would be getting. For that reason, I've typically bought repro playfields elsewhere.

Quoted from n2vsw:

The machine is in very nice shape considering some of the examples I've run across. The playfield is in great shape.

If it's in great shape, then I would see no reason to get a repro playfield. Only if it was worn and blown out would I consider it, since they're such an expensive game component.

Quoted from n2vsw:

CPR has a few that are bronze.

Bronze playfields typically have moderate to significant defects of some sort. Sometimes the artwork is messed up in some way. Poor alignment, wrong colors, incorrect layering order of the screens, wrong inserts, or any number of other issues. Usually CPR indicates what the problem is. Then you have to decide if you can live with it, fix it, or if it's just plain better than nothing.

#4 1 year ago

Also Larry @Starship has them, bronze. but he'll give you an honest appraisal to what he has.

https://www.starship-fantasy.com/playfields/Fire-bronze

#5 1 year ago

Playfield in great shape, mylar is intact, no wear spots. So what's the justification for replacing with a CPR?

Polish the mylar to a glossy shine with a buffing kit, play the game, and save yourself $800.

#6 1 year ago

From my past experience it didn't matter which grade I bought because they always had defects to some extent. I learned to buy the cheapest one I could since paying for a "better" grade didn't seem to make a difference and I'd just end up sending it to Kruzman to get fixed and cleared anyways.

John

#7 1 year ago

If you do decide to go with Planetary, absolutely pay the extra or who knows what they will send you and not having to hassle for an exchange or return is worth the $$.

#8 1 year ago

I'm not leaning toward Planetary because I don't want to pay $900 and end up with a bronze. My other option is to clear the existing playfield but not sure on the procedure when it has mylar. I've read that removing the mylar can completely pull the artwork off.

#9 1 year ago

How much is "playfield assurance"? I'd play it. I have severly lifting mylar on my BK2K but it seems to have no effect on game play. Of course ymmv.

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from n2vsw:

The playfield is in great shape. The mylar is intact and there are no wear spots.

Full stop. No need to do anything. Just keep it clean and it will look this good decades from now.

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from n2vsw:

I'm not leaning toward Planetary because I don't want to pay $900 and end up with a bronze. My other option is to clear the existing playfield but not sure on the procedure when it has mylar. I've read that removing the mylar can completely pull the artwork off.

Your only two options are replacing with a CPR or removing the mylar and clearing? Why so adamantly against leaving the mylar where it is? It has protected the original playfield for 35 years, which you yourself said is in great shape. SMH.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinbub:

How much is "playfield assurance"? I'd play it. I have severly lifting mylar on my BK2K but it seems to have no effect on game play. Of course ymmv.

$50

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Full stop. No need to do anything. Just keep it clean and it will look this good decades from now.

This.

It's not usually necessary to remove the mylar unless it's horribly damaged/melted/torn/separating in some way. Clean up the playfield, wipe it down and wax it periodically, and have fun with it.

You don't have to restore an older game to a minty fresh out of the box state. I haven't gone that far on any of my games.

#15 1 year ago

The problem with playfield assurance is you pay that with the purchase of the playfield and not before.
The reason I'd consider a replacement playfield is availability. We've had a few games where we had opportunities to purchase some parts that were still serviceable on our games. We waited figuring we'll get it when we need it. When we actually needed those parts they became unobtanium. I doubt CPR would produce another run of anything for Fire.

The plastics set for Haunted House is a good example. Those were always available through Steve at Pinball Resource. They've been out of stock for a long time. Steve doesnt think he will run them again because of the minimum number of sets he has to produce. I think he's looking at how long he'll sit on them before he breaks even.

#16 1 year ago

Maybe a stupid question but is there an easy way to tell if I have a silk screened playfield or not? I remember buying a HS gold but it arrived unmarked. It’s possible they forgot to mark it? I’ve had it for years so I’m pretty sure it’s a screened version but would like to verify. Regardless it’s flawless as far as I can tell.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from n2vsw:

We've had a few games where we had opportunities to purchase some parts that were still serviceable on our games. We waited figuring we'll get it when we need it. When we actually needed those parts they became unobtanium. I doubt CPR would produce another run of anything for Fire.

The likelihood that you will need a replacement playfield in standby is pretty low. It's not really a part that will suddenly break, like a plastic or toy.

I don't buy spare playfields for my games as a backups just in case something happens. That's basically like buying insurance that you won't ever use.

Replacement playfields are really only used in restoration projects (or bought in anticipation of a restoration project).

I really don't think this is something that you need to buy for your game.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Maybe a stupid question but is there an easy way to tell if I have a silk screened playfield or not? I remember buying a HS gold but it arrived unmarked. It’s possible they forgot to mark it? I’ve had it for years so I’m pretty sure it’s a screened version but would like to verify. Regardless it’s flawless as far as I can tell.

Maybe try looking at some of the ink with a magnifying glass. If you can see cmyk dots, it's digital. If not, it's probably screened.

#19 1 year ago

I just picked up a Fire! Too!. While the playfield on mine looks super nice (only slight wear in horseshoe area) one of my building ramps cracked off so I’m currently working with other Pinsiders to create a new ramp attachment. If your ramps are currently unprotected, toyotaboy sells brackets for these unreplaceable parts. Here’s mine. She’s dirty and needed board work but I’ve got that behind me. I’m going through all the coils and wiring now to make sure nothing is incorrect to have caused to damage to the solenoid circuits. After that I’ll tear down the top, give it a nice clean, replace the bulbs to led, replace rubber, slap it back together and hopefully have a nice player!

5685EE67-72E0-4AE6-8AF6-136F13DC2EA1 (resized).jpeg5685EE67-72E0-4AE6-8AF6-136F13DC2EA1 (resized).jpeg
#20 1 year ago

2 silkscreen ones left in stock with a color variation.

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/fire/

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from EJS:

Digital started in mid 2019.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from n2vsw:

I recently purchased a Williams Fire! This has been on my wish list for a while since several members of her family are fire fighters. I ran across a machine by chance relatively close (4 hours away) that I purchased. The machine is in very nice shape considering some of the examples I've run across. The playfield is in great shape. The mylar is intact and there are no wear spots. My wife commented that we should get a repro playfield while they are still around. I doubt CPR would ever run them again.
CPR has a few that are bronze. Planetary Pinball has the CPR playfields but they don't list the grade, from the price I would assume that they are gold. I emailed them to confirm that they are in fact gold and they responded that as the licensee, vendors send them "firsts". They indicated I could pay for their playfield assurance option which would give me pictures of what they have.
I thought the response was a bit vague so I contacted CPR to confirm. CPR stated they can't confirm what grade of playfields they have. CPR said they could tell what they have because they would be stamped on the back.
Thanks

I have a CPR gold, if you're interested.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

2,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bellefonte, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-playfield-grade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.