Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wizzardz
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P1020779_(Large).JPG

#1 6 years ago

Anyone have input on the quality of the CPR Pin*Bot playfields.

I also seem to see conflicting info as to if these pfs are clear coated. CPR states all are cleared (5-layer polyeurethane clearcoated.) while I have seen posts by buyers saying they have CPR pfs that are not cleared.

#2 6 years ago

They currently are clearcoated.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-to-expect-from-a-new-cpr-playfield

You will not be disappointed .

#3 6 years ago

I'm building one up right now, the clear is in great shape.
My biggest issue is with the dimples on the backside of the PF. About 3/4 of them don't even exist! and the ones that are there are extremely light and sometimes out of place.
Makes assembly pretty tricky but not impossible.

Still, a million times better than not having a repro at all.

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from StraX22:

. About 3/4 of them don't even exist! and the ones that are there are extremely light

Usually they get filled in with all that grey paint.

A very light sanding will make the hole locations evident.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Crap, why couldn't someone have told me that before I did Space Shuttle? LOL. I wouldn't have slingshot mechs mounted at wierd angles. Totally makes sense, though. Especially since both PF's I got had really THICK slathering of grey on the back.

#6 6 years ago

Yeah, the paint has to be thick to seal the surface.

If you seal one side of wood and leave the other exposed or permeable, the wood will warp.

You don't need to sand very much, just a little and the outlines of the holes will be a lighter color.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Actually there is no grey paint, or any other sealant for that matter. Just bare wood.

This is my first repro PF and now you have me wondering if I should strip everything back off and start from scratch.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from StraX22:

Actually there is no grey paint, or any other sealant for that matter.

What playfield and what year was it made? Some playfields have clear back sealant.

With no sealant on the backside, is it completely cupped to the front?

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What playfield and what year was it made? Some playfields have clear back sealant.

It's a CPR playfield. I got it about the third week they started shipping.

#10 6 years ago

My CPR Pinbot is bare on the back, as is my Mirco AFM.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Shrub_Light:

My CPR Pinbot is bare on the back, as is my Mirco AFM.

The Pinbot that I had, looked bare, but definitely had a sealant on it.

#12 6 years ago

The Pinbot that I had, looked bare, but definitely had a sealant on it.

Mine has a slight sheen, but no sealant. Just the same type of sheen you'd see on a HQ piece of ply. The flash makes it seem shinier than it really is.

Just tested it, and it will suck in a droplet of water with haste.

P1020779_(Large).JPG

#13 6 years ago

Guys, Have any of you actually read the Install Guide on the CPR web site??? The "dimple" are guides Not a Bible....

4. DIMPLES AND HOLES

The holes (which mean all the way through the wood from front to back) are matched to two or more selected factory playfields, and you can follow them as the gospel. Our drilling should be dead-on with factory originality.

Dimples, on the other hand, we mapped based on a single factory playfield that was traced. They are provided for convenience during the swap process. For most items like bulbs and posts, any deviation isn't great enough to make any difference, if deviation exists. CPR's dimples are easily within 1mm in any direction of where they should be, which is an acceptable tolerance. The bottom, specifically, was imprinted using a dimple press, and the dot array was "stamped" into the wood in one shot. But that shot could have tiny variance in any direction. This is explained so you don't start second-guessing parts positioning if you find a slightly better position. Better is better!

For crucial hardware (flipper mechanics, ball trough, etc), don't just plunge screws into the dimples without checking the physical position of the hardware itself. Always check that your hardware is in its proper position, then look to see where the screw holes in the hardware are positioned. If they are over the dimples, great. If they are not, slightly move the part and see if the dimples are close by.

http://classicplayfields.com/guides.html

Stu

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

My playfield is cupped to the front. I'm not planning to swap the playfields for awhile. Should I attempt to straighten with a few wood rails and clamps along the edges or just wait? I'll take some pics when I get home.

#15 6 years ago

I always install wood rails (13 core plywood screwed on the edge) onto empty playfields to keep them from cupping.

You should too.

If you playfield is new and you worry about the clear coat sticking to the rails, put the rails on the backside.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Guys, Have any of you actually read the Install Guide

#17 6 years ago

Sorry wizzards, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'm very pleased with my beautiful CPR PinBot playfield. I wasn't on the "firsts" list but I purchased one from someone that was. In other words, I would not hesitate buying another CPR playfield.

Quoted from vid1900:

I always install wood rails (13 core plywood screwed on the edge) onto empty playfields to keep them from cupping.

Thanks for the info vid.

#18 6 years ago

I'm still loving my Fathom and Black Knight playfields from CPR. Can't wait for Whirlwind (soon!).

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from wombat:

Sorry wizzards, didn't mean to hijack the thread.

No worries mate...its all good info.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Chicago, IL
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside