Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 268 posts
  • 104 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DCFAN
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pps.gif
    joust films.jpg
    curved yellow fruit.png
    download (2).jpg
    objet_lens.jpg
    tumblr_m2p3xjvVbo1r1dtbeo4_250.gif
    image-930.jpg
    wtf-did-i-just-read.jpg
    006.JPG
    007.JPG
    003.JPG
    004.JPG
    002-299.JPG
    001-330.JPG
    I+m+not+gonna+pretend+i+understand+what+s+going+on+here+_702c30e76b5e88619b1b088374fc2378.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

It seems like poor Pinside form to delete the entire content of the original post. It would be more proper to simply add your change of heart/plans after the content of the original post.
    We are left to speculate about what the original post/inquiry was about and that only leads to rumors, arguments, and bitching/moaning.

Rmemeber when Robin was going to change the editing rules.. and everyone pitched a fit about how it's a solution looking for a problem???

Well there you go folks.

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

"HEY GUYS WE FOUND ALL THIS COOL STUFF, CHECK IT OUT!"
    "Nope, we can't do anything cool with it, costs money and effort, maybe if someone else wants to do all the work they can, long as we get a cut."

still better than what we had for the last 15 years.. which was "Hey I bought all this stuff and I'm just gonna let it rot in my barns"

#162 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Of course any production is better than none, but at what cost. I'm sure someone out there will be glad when DE Time Machine gets run (namely me), but I'm sure most people would rather see DE Jurassic Park, LAH, etc. Okay, great, you found a ton of films, but you're not willing to do the work or spend the money to bring them to market...so why do we care? Don't post about it if you're not going to do something useful with it...it just pisses people off that the possibility is there and unexploited. Ignorance really IS bliss sometimes.

I didn't read from Ricks or Kevin's post that films are going to be sat on.

What Kevin said was alot of the effort Stu was doing to pursue re-done art was no longer needed because of the original art in the hands of PPS now. So why redo what is already available? If it gets made or not really is the same as before... someone needs to commit to securing the licensing, including PPS's licensing, and produce it. The only difference is that the art doesn't need to be remade from scratch.. and because of that, that opens the market to more potential manufacturers who may step up and try to run the product.

Before CPR had a bit of the corner on the market where both art AND manufacturing were needed. Now, there is art (supposedly) that means one less barrier for people to make stuff.

It effectively opens up the market a bit more for B/W games... and reduces the demand for redoing art on certain titles.

But based on the past experiences with IPB assets... I'm sure there needs to be a lot of rework done and hand holding before someone has a perfect screen+ink set to run playfields. I don't think the barrier has fallen all that much, simply shifted where the bulk of the time needs to be spent.

#163 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

People complain about a TOTAN PF costing $800 but the machine is worth $5-8k how much complaining you think there will be about $700 playfield for a $1500 machine??? and than additional costs for plastics and parts on top of that?

Are you familiar at all with the past CPR projects and prices? Because what you speculate over.. is exactly what they've been doing for years. Selling playfields for $600-$700 for games that are typically $800-$2k games.

#184 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

Yes Im very familiar with CPR past title buying playfields and other parts for many of them. But further proof o my point here is this fire playfield situation in which they only sold about half of them this will be more common with more of the off beat titles. B/W is the money making playfields none of the reproducers would last without paying titles. Stu has pointed out before they need to sell 60 to 80 playfields just to break even. half of the fire playfields has even covered the run cost yet. Who thinks the EMs unless rare popular titles will sell 100 playfields? Sega machines are known for being pretty much lemons for the most part haw many titles wont sell 100 playfields out of them titles? and how many of them have 3rd party licencing

I'm not getting your point - the issue of inventory costs, forecasting demand, and actually selling the product vs sitting on shelves is the same for CPR now as it was when they started. Kevin has posted about their selection process many times.. and yes, sometimes titles were made out of a passion vs pure market demand. Early on, Kevin was more at the whim of his artists.

DE titles has plenty of decent titles that were made in volume - it's just their list of desirable titles isn't nearly as wide as other makes. While I doubt we'll see a Street Fighter playfield.. there are others like GnR, TFTC, etc.

The concerns about sinking $1k in restoration into a game is the same for a Space Shuttle as it is a TFTC - your ultimate selling price is going to be capped.. no matter how much money you dump into the game.

I'd wager most CPR buyers are buying parts knowing they will likely never recover the dollar amount invested - they bought it for the game, not to invest and flip.

I can say I love playing my friends Flight 2k with CPR playfield... because of what it does for the game, not because I think he'll make more money selling it when he decides to.

#185 9 years ago
    Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I'd say for those that need these playfields the cost is going to go up. Sounds like another hand is out and wanting to be paid for the rights. Glade I don't need a playfield, I'll just purchase NIB Stern's and turn my back to the higher and higher cost older games.

The 'hand wanting to be paid' for the rights has been there all along. CPR couldn't make games they didn't have licensing for - regardless of the source of the art. Nothing new here.. except there is a license holder now who is MOTIVATED to have parts made.

#186 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Actually, PPS having found all the orig films in Gene's stash is GREAT news for our hobby !!!!!!
    No more redraw artwork with missing detail.
    No more searching for years for a NOS playfield to scan.
    No more wrong color sections like the Whitewater repros.
    Congrats to PPS, Mirco and CPR - let the new era of accuracy begin!

We said the said thing when NAPPA happened and Darren when he got access to Gene's stash... only to find out later there was much yet to be done to make the stuff usable. I doubt this is the floodgates opening.. but it is the removal of the old stick in the mud... that's for sure.

#209 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

The point is CPR or any reproducer isnt going to make playfields they cant sell and recoup or make money on period. you can want off titles all you want if a reproducer cant sell enough to make it worth while and to cover cost nobody will make them.

And none of that has changed from the day CPR started.. until today. You're preaching the basic premise as if it's some revelation - when its something everyone already understands

Quoted from Hellfire:

Most people on a lower value game will not spend the money on a new playfield unless its absolute trash.

To a degree - certainly - but the vast majority of CPR's playfields (including some of the most popular - like Centaur) have been for games that were not high value.

Those 80s solid states.. and 80s stern games were not demanding 3-4k when CPR made playfields for them.. they were 800-1500 dollar games typically. If people want the game restored... they'll pick their own budget.

Much like cars - restorations are a passion - not a flip.

#210 9 years ago
    Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

I'm glad CPR has basically called it quits

download (2).jpgdownload (2).jpg

Quoted from 2RustyBalls:

Those B/W rights are worthless unless you find someone willing to run the parts for a profit. Talk to anyone that makes parts and they'll tell you about how Rick has his hand out wanting paid, just like Gene did. Gene claimed he held the rights to the pinball. LOL!

I don't know where you get this idea that CPR having to deal with licensing is a new thing brought on by Rick.. but you're wrong.

I think the biggest concern for CPR now is the loss of their competitive advantage. They could make pieces others could not because they had the means to create art that others did not have. Now, if PPS has art readily available - that means CPR's lead has effectively been nullified and they will have to face competing with other manufacturers for the same limited market.

Like before.. the market is limited, so people would shy away from duplicating efforts because you are both fighting for the same customers.. and in doing so you've been less efficient with your limited art capacity/work-funnel.

#215 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hellfire:

Just becouse you want a few titles dosnt meen its going to happen if the numbers dont work for the reproducers
    Do you understand finally?

I don't know who you are arguing that with.. because no one is saying otherwise. In fact, I've been saying to you 4 times now... 'duh.. captain obvious'.

But what you really said was people won't buy playfields for cheap games... your original post

Quoted from Hellfire:

And from what Ive seen the Gottelieb are like the cheap volkswagon guys how many will spring for new playfields like a B/W? I think they will run into the same thing with alot of DE and SEGA machines.
    People complain about a TOTAN PF costing $800 but the machine is worth $5-8k how much complaining you think there will be about $700 playfield for a $1500 machine??? and than additional costs for plastics and parts on top of that?

Which doesn't hold water.. the majority of the playfields done by CPR have been for games that typically sold in the sub 2k price range. Already disproving your 'concern'. The people who have been doing the high value games like TAF, AFM, TZ, etc have been the other vendors.. Mirco, IPB, etc. Yes, CPR has done titles like whirlwind and other high demand games.. but those were still games that sold for sub 3k when the playfields were done.

Enough people are buying the CPR reproductions because they want them for their game - not because of the game's street value. Not all old games are equally desirable to restore.. even if they are the same street value. Hence the risk CPR takes on... seems like so far they've done decently at avoiding total duds.

Flash Gordon has been a sub 1500 game for ages.. yet CPR did it, both playfields and plastics, and as far as I can tell, has done ok with it.

You've stated that this will somehow radically alter the makeup of games... because somehow you and others have read Kevin's post to mean "we won't make B/W parts" - which is NOT what he said.

#216 9 years ago
    Quoted from winteriscoming:

I'd be really surprised to learn that the artwork for ALL B/W plastics, BGs, PFs and Transites (were these silk screened?) have been found.

It's virtually a given that's not reality. Things are incomplete, unusable, lost, etc. But there is more available now than there was before.. that we do know.

Quoted from winteriscoming:

Probably the wrench in the works for the CPR process is that vectorized artwork has been completed or was in progress and now the original artwork may be available. Does that mean CPR is being forced to use the original artwork, regardless of progress on the repro art? If so, is PPS enforcing this restriction? Is PPS going to charge CPR a fee to use original screens on top of a licensing fee?

I think what you have is.. PPS will require a standard of qualify (like they've been doing)... and maybe that requires using original art if available?? Dunno.

I still think the bigger issue is 'who gets what work' - not the licensing fee structure. If PPS wants a certain playfield made and has the required art... who is going to be a more effective way to get that product to market? CPR at their home-grown production volumes.... or Chicago Gaming with their industrial production volume?

Fees CPR can just pass through - its more a disruption to how they compete in the market and what products they can target to make.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-on-the-hunt?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.