Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 34 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20160107_175638_(resized).jpg
100_0801_(1)_(resized).jpg
100_0803_(1)_(resized).jpg
100_0802_(1)_(resized).jpg
1452123246935-384413591_(resized).jpg
1452123201229-1598734069_(resized).jpg
1452122994833-2008971494_(resized).jpg
14521229214222090580573_(resized).jpg
1452122897472-1316672327_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

I'm not in on TOTAN, but do have CPR playfields for Firepower and Xenon - and I *LOVE THEM*! Quality is top notch. It's like having a brand new game. ...ok, sorry for the diversion, back to TOTAN unboxings.

#52 3 years ago

I got mine. I have not given it a close look but what I did look at looked great. Such a beautiful game.

The two layer packaging makes you feel good. If you see a scratch or small hole on the outside you open to the second box and are instantly assured everything is fine. Then you open that box and find the paper guarding the face. Top notch.

#53 3 years ago

Nick P did a great job on the repro Artwork......

3 months later
#54 3 years ago

i came across this tonight and this is the first ive seen of someone commenting on flaws on the CPR TOTAN playfield.
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album658?page=5 . i quickly looked at mine and didnt see these flaws except possibly pic #40 although im not to sure on what hes describing. has anyone else seen this ?

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

although im not to sure on what hes describing. has anyone else seen this ?

What Chris is describing is the "graining" in the finish where the wood has shrank.

This is natural and occurs with any playfield to some degree.

Quoted from mollyspub:

i came across this tonight and this is the first ive seen of someone commenting on flaws on the CPR TOTAN playfield.

Remember that Chris does high end restorations. 99% of pinheads are totally happy with the CPR playfields, right out of the box.

But, if you have the cash, and you worry about tiny imperfections, I can't recommend Chris' work highly enough.

1 month later
#56 3 years ago

not that im looking to find fault but ....http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa091815totancpr.html. i quickly ran to look at my playfield and couldnt tell any differences between the WILLAMS and CPR inserts. guess im wondering why would CPR not use the correct primer ? ill be having my playfield swapped soon and looking forward to having this in my machine.

#57 3 years ago

double post

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from mollyspub:

not that im looking to find fault but ....http://www.hsapinball.com/HSA_PINBALL/hsa091815totancpr.html. i quickly ran to look at my playfield and couldnt tell any differences between the WILLAMS and CPR inserts. guess im wondering why would CPR not use the correct primer ?

The old nasty DiamondPlate that Williams used to clear their playfields with 30 years ago would make all the inserts look cloudy.

The 2PAC used on CPR playfields is crystal clear.

So the new ToTAN playfields will have colors that will pop, and clear inserts - win/win.

#59 3 years ago

Hate to have to put this up here but I just discovered the Tiger magnet will not fit this playfield.
Factory has an extra cut.
Cpr is not routed like the factory and it does not allow the magnet core to center.

1451947880916-1316672327_(resized).jpg

14519479671962090580573_(resized).jpg

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

Cpr is not routed like the factory and it does not allow the magnet core to center.

Sucks when you find stuff like that out after partially populating the playfield.

Thanks for the heads up!

#61 3 years ago

Hate to have to put this up here but I just discovered the Tiger magnet will not fit this playfield.
Factory has an extra cut.

So these PFs we bought are useless?

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

So these PFs we bought from them are useless?

Just take a router and clean out the back of the pocket.

CPR may have used a NOS playfield that never had been prepped for actual installation.

If you look at Chris' picture, you can see that the OEM playfield had a secondary routing step added after the original routing had been done.

#63 3 years ago

Yes I can't do a perfect fix right now at this stage but I was able to rough it in with a forstener bit.
Moving forward I know what I am dealing with.

#64 3 years ago

Oh well. I bought the PF before I bought the game. The game I bought has a perfect restored PF in it anyway.

#65 3 years ago

Yes I can't do a perfect fix right now at this stage but I was able to rough it in with a forstener bit.
Moving forward I know what I am dealing with.

thanks for the info. please let us know of anything else !

#66 3 years ago

No biggie, simple fix with router.

I'm not sure I have ever had a repro playfield that didn't require some sort of adjustments. Honestly, its great that we have folks out there making these great playfields so our collections look like museum pieces. A big thank you to all that make repro parts available!

#67 3 years ago

Factory has an extra cut. Cpr is not routed like the factory and it does not allow the magnet core to center.

I hate to have to shoot this down, but I wish you would have approached us directly to check this first, before posting this blanket declaration on a forum. Posts like this invoke disappointment and our customers would be led to think their $900 playfields are now flawed or improperly cut.

We were tipped off to come find this thread and respond. After 250 boards sold, and 4-5 months have passed, wouldn't it be telling that nobody had mentioned this before? Even with only 10% swapped... wouldn't 25 people who allegedly had to route out the back of their playfield have spoken up? Even one?

So we dug out the original Williams TOTAN playfield that we used for design...

Sure enough, the CPR repro is a perfect match to an original. CPR *did* route like the factory.

Looks like the swap HEP is doing had an oddball sized magnet or substituted part that was hacked in on the line (see the secondary routing on the photo he provided) and is not the norm. This likely explains why we have heard from nobody. Honestly, crickets.

We assume our Williams original board is standard/correct format. HEP's is the oddball one. If we are wrong, please TOTAN owners speak up.

Chris, you are a pinball legend. Your words hold a ton of weight. Have no problem with people critiquing our stuff, just when a "product recall" type notice is put out there, it should be from us. Next time, let's talk offline first, determine if it's isolated or global, and then we can proceed with a official CPR bulletin to notify our customer group. Sound fair ?

Photos attached of our Williams original TOTAN board, which came out of a working game.

KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions

20160106_111222_(resized).jpg

20160106_111215_(resized).jpg

20160106_111159_(resized).jpg

20160106_111146_(resized).jpg

#68 3 years ago

Damn, I wish I could counter an argument, debate, disagreement or any other altercation with the smoothness and finesse as this. I just tend to get mad and scream or worse. You guys from CPR really are the shit. I am very interested in seeing how this ends. Not the argument, if you want to call it that, but what is going on with Chris' game and why the magnet wouldn't fit and if anyone else is having the same issues. Ill probably never install mine so Ill never know for myself. They sure look good though.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

I hate to have to shoot this down, but I wish you would have approached us directly to check this first, before posting this blanket declaration on a forum. Posts like this invoke disappointment and our customers would be led to think their $900 playfields are now flawed or improperly cut.
We were tipped off to come find this thread and respond. After 250 boards sold, and 4-5 months have passed, wouldn't it be telling that nobody had mentioned this before? Even with only 10% swapped... wouldn't 25 people who allegedly had to route out the back of their playfield have spoken up? Even one?
So we dug out the original Williams TOTAN playfield that we used for design...
Sure enough, the CPR repro is a perfect match to an original. CPR *did* route like the factory.
Looks like the swap HEP is doing had an oddball sized magnet or substituted part that was hacked in on the line (see the secondary routing on the photo he provided) and is not the norm. This likely explains why we have heard from nobody. Honestly, crickets.
We assume our Williams original board is standard/correct format. HEP's is the oddball one. If we are wrong, please TOTAN owners speak up.
Chris, you are a pinball legend. Your words hold a ton of weight. Have no problem with people critiquing our stuff, just when a "product recall" type notice is put out there, it should be from us. Next time, let's talk offline first, determine if it's isolated or global, and then we can proceed with a official CPR bulletin to notify our customer group. Sound fair ?
Photos attached of our Williams original TOTAN board, which came out of a working game.
KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions

20160106_111222_(resized).jpg20160106_111215_(resized).jpg20160106_111159_(resized).jpg20160106_111146_(resized).jpg

Your example may be correct for some but not all.I checked all my references and this routed configuration is common.I have 4 TOTANS here now and will check them but just looking at my teardown pics from 2002 as well as my gallery this is what I see most often.
I also think on the non routed version the hole might be bigger but I will measure if I find one.

Here is an example from 2007
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album89/13_G?full=1

Here is 2009
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album134/13_G

2013 NOS
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album524/176_G

I am not giving a critique nor product recall I am doing just what I stated which was letting anyone that has one of these know that there may be a problem with the tiger magnet fit and based on what I just dug up it is definitely a concern.
There is no ill will I am happy with the product but I can't keep info like that to myself because it saves the next person the headache.

#70 3 years ago

It would be interesting to look at the production dates on those games and find out where the change occurred (are the dates stamped on the edge of those playfields all the same? How about on the serial number sticker?)

Many games changed during their production run (like SBM and F14), so what's "authentic" for an early example, may be different (yet equally authentic) for latter in the run.

It's very good to have a "heads up" from Chris; if you don't need a change made to your playfield, good for you! If you do need to route out a little section, better you do that before the playfield becomes populated.

Thanks Kevin and Chris for both of your valuable inputs !!

#71 3 years ago

I'd better go check the field for the game I'm restoring, ironically for Mike at CPR! THanks for the heads up Chris and Kevin

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

I'd better go check the field for the game I'm restoring, ironically for Mike at CPR!

Shoot a picture of the date on serial number sticker if you would please.

Thanks!

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Shoot a picture of the date on serial number sticker if you would please.
Thanks!

I'll try, but the cabinet is on end in my storage facility. Would there be a similar sticker on the playfield?

#74 3 years ago

Mine looks like the TOTAN PF's Chris has restored. My example was HUO/stock...

20_(resized).jpg

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Mine looks like the TOTAN PF's Chris has restored. My example was HUO/stock...

20_(resized).jpg

I am going to guess based on what I have seen after looking into it now that the routed version is more common than the non and that the non is the earlier version perhaps sample runs early games.
It is tough for CPR to do much more than copy what they have there so I completely understand and sympathize unfortunately it would have been much better /easier to have the routed version since it would accommodate any magnet configuration.
My other educated guess is that running a magnet like what is used in TAF is the solution if you do not want to deal with the routing but I have not looked into that yet.
This current routed version magnet has a large flat spot in it housing some added components. If those components are truly needed is what will determine if the swap of magnet styles is advisable or not.

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

I'll try, but the cabinet is on end in my storage facility. Would there be a similar sticker on the playfield?

Not a sticker but the date is often stamped on one edge of the playfield.

ccwcsesc_(resized).jpg
ccfhesc_(resized).jpg

Sometimes there are multiple dates because a playfield may have been made by one company, but clearcoated or silkscreened at another SP (Sun Process), ESC (Electronic Sound Corp), LS (Lenc Smith), CCC (Churchill Cabinet Company).

#77 3 years ago

OK I'll have a look tonight. FWIW Mike's game is a re-import, so I'm not sure if they were manufactured before or after the North American games.

#78 3 years ago

Just checked my TOTAN. I see a perfectly round hole for the tiger magnet. German re-import, no playfield stamp that I can find, manufacture date 7/17/96.

#79 3 years ago

I have a domestic built 8/22/96 (on cabinet sticker) one. I've searched all over the edges and no markings on the playfield so will assume this is original to machine at least.

My original Playfield also has the routing. I pulled my Tiger magnet and was able to get it to work but it's firm but not tight. I may route mine to match but don't feel it will be necessary for mine. Perhaps this was done at some point to ease magnet install?

Anyway, here's some pics that hopefully helps all. Great work by CPR and appreciate Chris's input. It's always great to know what to look out for due to changes of factory parts mid-year.

image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I have a domestic built 8/22/96 (on cabinet sticker) one. I've searched all over the edges and no markings on the playfield so will assume this is original to machine at least.
My original Playfield also has the routing. I pulled my Tiger magnet and was able to get it to work but it's firm but not tight. I may route mine to match but don't feel it will be necessary for mine. Perhaps this was done at some point to ease magnet install?
Anyway, here's some pics that hopefully helps all. Great work by CPR and appreciate Chris's input. It's always great to know what to look out for due to changes of factory parts mid-year.
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg

Thanks .
I see that you have the magnet bracket screwed into the target dimple though.
Please let me know if it still fits when it is screwed into the proper spot just because I could not get my magnet core to center properly without the routing.

#81 3 years ago

Nice catch! Yes, checked with correct dimples still fitting but firm yet not tight.

image_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpeg

#82 3 years ago

Here is,what happens when I cram the factory magnet in my other cpr pfs.
The magnet core does not clear.

1452122897472-1316672327_(resized).jpg

14521229214222090580573_(resized).jpg

1452122994833-2008971494_(resized).jpg

#83 3 years ago

Good stuff Chris. I know I'll route mine. Thank you as always for you input!

#84 3 years ago

If I use an aftermarket coils have on hand it,is tight but fits much better.

1452123201229-1598734069_(resized).jpg

1452123246935-384413591_(resized).jpg

#85 3 years ago

I actually had to hold the aftermarket in place whereas I could easily wedge the factory one without doing so.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Good stuff Chris. I know I'll route mine. Thank you as always for you input!

No problem. Looks like the aftermarket coil is the path of least resistance here if you run into that issue. I am really curious to see now what the magnet set up will be on the next 3 I am doing.
Regardless I would much rather deal with this than ghosted inserts.These are well done and it is not a deal breaker at all but obviously there are variations so it is good to present it so it can be considered when running other playfields

#87 3 years ago

I just checked mine. It doesn't have the extra routing. Relevant pictures attached (did my playfield take 7-8 months to make???)

100_0802_(1)_(resized).jpg

100_0803_(1)_(resized).jpg

100_0801_(1)_(resized).jpg

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from blubboman:

(did my playfield take 7-8 months to make???)

It may have been made, then clearcoated latter.

#89 3 years ago

No date code on mine but the hole is routed. Time to break out the router.

Thanks for the heads up HEP!

20160107_175638_(resized).jpg

#90 3 years ago

Maybe this has been discussed but are some of the magnet coils bigger than others? Maybe they had to route the hole on later games because the magnets got bigger. Don't know. Ill look at my game tonight. I would buy a aftermarket magnet before I took a router to the PF. My preference.

#91 3 years ago

That lump on the side of the (OEM) coil is a thermal cut-out that (should) prevent the coil from overheating and burning the playfield if the drive transistor locks on for some reason. Perhaps the after-market coils don't have that protective device...

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from jadziedzic:

That lump on the side of the (OEM) coil is a thermal cut-out that (should) prevent the coil from overheating and burning the playfield if the drive transistor locks on for some reason. Perhaps the after-market coils don't have that protective device...

Maybe they added these later and that is the reason some have the cutout and some don't .

#93 3 years ago

So lesson learned... Correct language is 'a different play field revision has been identified ...'

Looks like the routed hole was a later manufacturing change...

At least it's fixable with parts or simple raw wood cuts. Maybe something for CPR to document on their site for their owners. Not the first... Won't be the last... Just comes with the territory

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 279.95
$ 399.95
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 279.95
$ 35.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 4.99
Playfield - Plastics
ULEKstore
$ 89.99
Sale Pending!
Charlotte, NC
$ 999.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 47.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Hardware
CPR Playfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside