Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC08809.jpg
DSC08808.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Now available to the General Public:
TALES OF THE ARABIAN NIGHTS
Reproduction Playfield - WAVE ONE....There will NOT be a WAVE TWO (see below)

Nick Possedi did an awesome job recreating the artwork for this beautiful playfield, you won't be disappointed!

Genuine 14-color enamel silkscreened and 5-layer polyeurethane clearcoated. Dimpled both sides, drilled, and ready for installation right out of the box. For a close look, be sure to check out the detailed gallery to see closeup photos.

SO HERE's THE DEAL: We need to be very very clear - these are IT. Likely forever. There will NOT be an immediate second wave of these, as originally planned. We had over 550 people who wrote in wanting these, but it took having to contact all 550+ people, just to get to ~200 that have actually bought. Everybody else forfeited. Revisiting the idea of running the second Wave of the complete run may be possible someday, but we're talking 10 years at best.

What's left now are a few dozen playfields. Open season.

MULTIPLES ARE ALLOWED.

This is a "grab now or forever hold your peace" situation. If you think you will need a TOTAN playfield anytime in the next 10 years (to 2025) then now is your moment of consideration. We have no doubt that these remainders will eventually sell out in the next 6-12 months. So whether it's for a TOTAN you've been on the fence about, a future TOTAN consideration, or an invest-and-stash situation... just know that when high value playfields like these become unobtanium, it will be slim pickings at extremely high prices on the private market.

PURCHASE HERE:
http://www.classicplayfields.com/store-playfields.html

GALLERY HERE:
http://www.classicplayfields.com/photo176.html

Stu
CPR Art Director
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

#2 8 years ago

I just ordered a gold! Now to get the machine put it in!

#3 8 years ago

Nice work on these. If I had a ToTAN I would definitely want one of these in it.

#4 8 years ago

OK, I'm in. How about Addams family?

#5 8 years ago

I've bought a few CPR playfields in the past and they were all great, but this one is truly a masterpiece. I don't have a ToTAN either, but this one is worth buying just to hang on the wall. I'd love to see CPR make a MB playfield in the near future!

#6 8 years ago

i seen different "GOLD" playfield and each time at the left side, blue color are manually touch-up with a paintbrush
and colors are bland compared to a NOS playfield, Inserts are not frosted but it"s a TOTAN playfield

DSC08808.jpgDSC08808.jpg

DSC08809.jpgDSC08809.jpg

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballM:

compared to a NOS playfield,

And how many of those have you seen?

#8 8 years ago

Two coming my way. One for a future TOTAN and one for wall!

#9 8 years ago

Stu,

You might want to consider a voluntary pre-pay. Some people (like me) might have the money now, but by the time the ship date rolls around the money's been spent on something else. I'm tryin like hell not to have to abdicate my commitments!

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

This is a "grab now or forever hold your peace" situation. If you think you will need a TOTAN playfield anytime in the next 10 years (to 2025) then now is your moment of consideration. We have no doubt that these remainders will eventually sell out in the next 6-12 months. So whether it's for a TOTAN you've been on the fence about, a future TOTAN consideration, or an invest-and-stash situation... just know that when high value playfields like these become unobtanium, it will be slim pickings at extremely high prices on the private market.

i always tell my wife that sometimes pinball items only come around once in a while... she always rolls her eyes at me
i sure am glad i got my hands on one of these !!!

#11 8 years ago
#12 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballM:

i seen different "GOLD" playfield and each time at the left side, blue color are manually touch-up with a paintbrush
and colors are bland compared to a NOS playfield, Inserts are not frosted but it"s a TOTAN playfield

DSC08808.jpg DSC08809.jpg

My gold high speed had some art that was way off in the orbit, not sure how the standards are gauged.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from indy5mike:

I have purchased 3 or 4 backglasses and 3 playfields from CPR. I have only dropped out of one playfield, it was the one right before the policy change and i had sold the machine. I have wanted a couple playfields since the policy change but have not committed due to fear of something changing. In the past i just scraped up the cash to buy them when they came up. Am i the only one who has quit ordering many playfields for fear of being labeled a CPR loser?

I'm on the list for one that hasn't been produced yet.

Basically, they changed gears from pipe-dreams to a pipeline, which is intended to make a production schedule of some sort for actual committed buyers. So, I made a commitment to buy since it's for a pin that's high up on my wishlist.

There are a few others that are on my wish list that I'd like to get if the price was a few hundred less and just to stash away to use at some point, but I really have no idea what pins I will come across in the future, so I'd hate to drop $800-$1000 on something I might never get to use. That's no small chunk of change. So, not knowing if I'll have a pin to put them in, I'm not going to commit to something way off in the future.

#14 8 years ago

Wow, so many people talking about having the money now or when it comes time. Scraping up the cash . . .

I'm not rich by any means. But I don't buy things I can't afford. And hobby related No Way. I live my life like this with credit cards also. If I am ringing it up on plastic I either have the money to pay it off or will make sure it is ready by the time the bill comes in.

Yes there are exceptions. Life can crash down and hardships can change your life. But I think that is few and far between. Stu should write everyone who backed out and ask "Why?". If you sold your game then why did you order a playfield? I really don't get understand why so many people can yank CPR's chain and think it is OK or normal practice.

#15 8 years ago

Are their any pictures of the smear on the bronze?

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

We had over 550 people who wrote in wanting these, but it took having to contact all 550+ people, just to get to ~200 that have actually bought.

Weak. I always get a certain % of dropouts on my pre-order stuff too, you just expect it, but that's terrible. Totally unfair to CPR. They use the pre-orders to judge demand and make a pretty sizable investment of time and money based on it.

I know these things take a long time to come out, and games change hands etc, but still. You signed up, and then left them holding the bag.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I know these things take a long time to come out, and games change hands etc, but still. You signed up, and then left them holding the bag.

This is why I applaud their new system of commitment. Your either in or out.

#18 8 years ago

Well, not really. You can still flake out when it comes shipping time.

Hey, life happens. Hobby money is expendable, and when life get serious that hobby MUST take a back seat to other responsibilities. That's why I wanted to prepay...I had sold a couple of games and had (have) the money, but things can happen.

Signing up not really intending to buy the product, or "hoping" to come up with the money by ship date is douchey.

#19 8 years ago

CPR can handle things however they like of course, it's their business, and no one needs to tell them how to operate it.

I'm just saying, as a customer that I wouldn't take any offense at having to put down a deposit for playfields. And if you flake you forfeit it, no need to handle refunds.

Say $100. Not a ton of money, but you'd probably be more serious about ordering if you put that down. And if 200 people flake out (seriously?) then at least you've got $20,000 to help offset costs while you try and find other buyers.

Anyways, their call, I just think it would be fair.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

CPR can handle things however they like of course, it's their business, and no one needs to tell them how to operate it.
I'm just saying, as a customer that I wouldn't take any offense at having to put down a deposit for playfields. And if you flake you forfeit it, no need to handle refunds.
Say $100. Not a ton of money, but you'd probably be more serious about ordering if you put that down. And if 200 people flake out (seriously?) then at least you've got $20,000 to help offset costs while you try and find other buyers.

I agree. I'm on the list for a Addams Family when i don't even have the machine yet. I have my money already so i'm prepared, but not everybody works that way. Maybe they use the signup list to judge customers. When it's time to order material send out a email letting everyone that a deposit is required. Maybe give a option to pay over time before the release date. I see no problem with a non refundable deposit.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Yeah, is it possible to have picture of this ? 200 bucks is a big difference, for me thats the shipping cost to Europe.

#22 8 years ago

I agree also, I'm down for a couple of playfields at the moment and I'd have no issue with placing a deposit. Being located in Australia our dollar obviously fluctuates against the USD so an option to pay in full when joining the pre order list would also be good. This way our dollars locked in and we know what we're paying up front.

#23 8 years ago

I agree, and I think they are moving to the non-refundable deposit model soon.

Quoted from Aurich:

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Quoted from bounoun:

Yeah, is it possible to have picture of this ? 200 bucks is a big difference

Yes, there is now. This was a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. So I snapped a pic with my cell this weekend and added it to the end of the Detailed Gallery at the site. It's also mentioned now in the Store description.

Last pic in this gallery: http://www.classicplayfields.com/photo176.html

Quoted from Skypilot:

This is why I applaud their new system of commitment. Your either in or out.

We wanted it to operate as simple as possible. No heaps of accounting or spreadsheets tracking deposits for thousands of people across a dozen future playfield runs. Just simply don't preorder if you don't want it. Can't get any simpler than that. All we need is trust. It's worked for Pinball Resource for decades. He ships everything up front, and you owe a bill.

Quoted from cody_chunn:

Well, not really. You can still flake out when it comes shipping time.

You can... but only once, forever. Burnt bridge with CPR. You'd have your name pulled from all remaining preorders, considered untrustworthy. To join back on any of them, or any in the future, a $100 deposit is required (each). So that's how one can quickly jump to the deposit system that many are thinking we should be using. Just fail on us once, and you'll be on that system no problem

Quoted from cody_chunn:

I think they are moving to the non-refundable deposit model soon.

The new system has always had a non-refundable deposit system. But it's considered the second-tier system (where your word is basically considered "no good anymore") and now your money is required to trust your preorder.

So we're not moving TO that system. We already have it. Except nobody has jumped to it yet, as everybody is considered legit until proven otherwise. We're soon going to see, once the first playfield under the new system starts to ship (it will be TAF).

Much easier to manage deposits from a few dozen guys, than every single preorder-er. Besides, the system seems to be working... guys have already openly admitted on here that they stay away from putting their name down because they are not 100% sure they will be buying it at the end.

EXACTLY

We would rather see 100 committed people sign up, we make 100 playfields, and 98 buy.... thus 2 go to the 2nd tier deposit system...

than

150 sign up willy nilly, we make 170 playfields, 98 buy... and the other 52 people just go off somewhere, and can sign up next time the same way. Meanwhile we're sitting on 72 playfields unsold - a ton of wasted materials, labour, and cashflow that now sits frozen up.

Bigger numbers are not more impressive if they are loaded/fluffed with folks who will bail at the end.

Hope this all makes sense.

Thanks everybody for diving in - the remaining TOTAN Golds were gone within 24 hours, snapped up quick. Now the silvers and bronzes remain. I wouldn't be surprised if they were gone by xmas. We'll see what happens. Thank GODDD we hadn't run all 500, as this could have ended CPR.... literally. 200 of 550 buyers wasn't good final numbers. Splitting the run in half was our saving grace, and it only happened because we didn't have the room to produce 500 at once.

KEVIN
Classic Playfield Reproductions
http://www.classicplayfields.com

#26 8 years ago

Well said Kevin! You will never make everyone happy. CPR will decide how to deal with preorders, not pinsiders. Its a business decision. I like the naughty list idea!

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Totally unfair to CPR

5 Years for a pre-order? All bets are off as a lot can change in 5 years. That said I bought two from Kevin and they were ordered 5 years ago !

#28 8 years ago

Waitaminute...I may have to wait 5 years for fields on the CPR page to get made?

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

5 Years for a pre-order? All bets are off as a lot can change in 5 years.

I forgot it was that long! Fair enough. I think CPR has promised a much shorter window in exchange for the new system. But I don't want to speak for Kevin, just my memory was that he said the turnaround wasn't going to be like that anymore.

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Waitaminute...I may have to wait 5 years for fields on the CPR page to get made?

No. The new system is a 2-way commitment. We're now on a clock. An 18-month clock. If we can't get you your playfield in a year and a half maximum, then all bets are off. Nobody will be considered obligated to follow through on their promise, because we broke ours.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think CPR has promised a much shorter window in exchange for the new system. But I don't want to speak for Kevin

Guys - all our rules (which haven't changed by one word since release) are described at the bottom of the Preorder Page:

http://www.classicplayfields.com/order.html

#32 8 years ago

5 years in not that long to some collectors.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

5 years in not that long to some collectors.

How is that ?

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

How is that ?

Cryogenics.

#35 8 years ago

I did say "some" collectors, not all. I am one so I'm sure there are others. So that's how it is. Besides, if you're swapping to sell the game or doing the swap for someone else that is not "collecting".

I've had most of my games well more than 5 years and I plan on having them much longer. If I have a game that is a keeper with a playfield I might want to replace some day I order one. In the mean time I continue to play the game.

So to me its no big deal. What's the hurry?

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

I did say "some" collectors, not all. I am one so I'm sure there are others. So that's how it is. Besides, if you're swapping to sell the game or doing the swap for someone else that is not "collecting".
I've had most of my games well more than 5 years and I plan on having them much longer. If I have a game that is a keeper with a playfield I might want to replace some day I order one. In the mean time I continue to play the game.
So to me its no big deal. What's the hurry?

Some folks like to rotate their games more often than that, and/or have limited space. Or, want to restore it all at once, rather than in a piecemeal approach.

#37 8 years ago

OK, some. I said "Some". What's the big deal?

Point is moot now. Kevin posted the rules on the pre-order page and now it says 12 to 18 months. I'll bet there will still be "some" people unhappy with that.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

OK, some. I said "Some". What's the big deal?
Point is moot now. Kevin posted the rules on the pre-order page and now it says 12 to 18 months. I'll bet there will still be "some" people unhappy with that.

Of course. We live in an age of instant gratification

2 weeks later
#39 8 years ago

I just received my gold field today after ordering back in April of 2010. Super job with the playfield CPR!!

1 month later
#40 8 years ago

I received my gold. Felt small edges at the inserts, so sent it out for another coat of clear. It's smooth as glass now. Maybe I'm being anal, but I think the golds should come perfectly smooth.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-new-totan-playfields-now-available-for-purchase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.