Topic Stats

• 48 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Stu
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FullSizeRender.jpg

#1 4 years ago

We are proud to announce that our new Evel Knievel Playfields are now done and we will be contacting people in waves starting today and running throughout the month. If there are any leftovers after we purge the pre-order list they will be available to the general public on the CPR web site Store page.....

Check out the Gallery here: http://www.classicplayfields.com/photo172.html

Thanks,
Stu
CPR Art Director
http://www.classicplayfields.com

#2 4 years ago

Good to hear. Another happy group of people. Thanks Stu. Kevin still too early in the morning.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

We are proud to announce that our new Evel Knievel Playfields

Super Nice! Do these work with both the EM and SS models?

Thanks,

Ken

#4 4 years ago

Excellent!!!
(will be getting plastics with it too...)

#5 4 years ago

Excellent work as usual.

#6 4 years ago

Can't wait for the email - awesome news

#7 4 years ago

This will be a good follow up restore to the CPR Power Play swap restore I just completed. Good timing. =)

#8 4 years ago

This is wonderful and I'm happy to buy one, but one minor thing I noticed right away - the green double bonus inserts were opaque green on the original, and it looks like these are transparent. Not sure why the deviation there, but I would have rather had opaque.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

This is wonderful and I'm happy to buy one, but one minor thing I noticed right away - the green double bonus inserts were opaque green on the original, and it looks like these are transparent. Not sure why the deviation there, but I would have rather had opaque.

Yeah... you're correct. Mine are opaque too. I missed that.
Not a show stopper, but would've preferred opaque as well.

#10 4 years ago

Cut a disk of milk jug plastic and stuff it up the back of the insert.

#11 4 years ago

I wait for the email ...

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Cut a disk of milk jug plastic and stuff it up the back of the insert.

My plan is to airbrush mine from the underside. Never tried the milk jug trick!

#13 4 years ago

The weird part of this green insert being clear instead of the way a NOS one would be as opaque:

The Captain Fantastic CPR field has the correct opaque green insert for the double bonus insert.
Why didn't they use this insert again as it would have been the right size and color?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

The Captain Fantastic CPR field has the correct opaque green insert for the double bonus insert.
Why didn't they use this insert again as it would have been the right size and color?

Maybe they were NOS and CPR used up all the opaque green inserts in the CF run.

If they had to run a new batch, how long would it take to use up 10,000 opaque green inserts???

#15 4 years ago

Guys,

I have to follow something and in almost every case we follow the examples that we have on hand. What that means is that I have an ACTUAL playfield that came out of an actual game and those are the colors I order and the colors we glue in. There is NO advantage whatsoever, to not using the same inserts that are in my sample.

That being said, we have found a few examples where things aren't as straightforward as I'd like....we have two or more examples that have different inserts. For example, we had three different examples for Star Trek and the IPDB appeared to be differnt again....so we had to pick just one to follow as they were all very different. ST had six inserts that differed between the 3 PFs so it was really a crap shoot as one insert in particular was a different color on each of the sample PFs!! In every case we follow a REAL PF, it may not be the most popular one but it's always a real one, usually the one I have I have here. I have looked at and tried to compare with the IPDB and noted that sometimes there appear to be differences, however, I'd be a fool to try and interpret the colors from the IPDB and use those as gospel instead of using an actual PF that I have on hand. Often the pictures online aren't good enough to tell an with enough accuracy to be 100% sure of getting the right color, size, and bottom of the insert.

It just makes no sense to substitute a wrong insert because I have to order them all anyway, I may as well order and use the correct ones or at least the ones I think are correct.

Hope this helps, we just don't intentionally sub in an incorrect insert knowingly.

Mike

#16 4 years ago

playfields look great.

#17 4 years ago

Yes they certainly do look great.

#18 4 years ago

FYI - As a general rule, Bally used opaque green "double bonus" inserts for almost all their games in the 70's. It was likely called out on the drawing, but it wasn't a hard rule and you know they didn't shut down the factory because they ran out of opaque! You guys obviously ended up with one of those minority playfields for your template. It's not right or wrong, it's just not the traditional look. It will bother the "purists", but it still looks fine.

#19 4 years ago

If it bothers anyone, then just pop out the clear and install an opaque insert. .50 cents at PBR

#20 4 years ago

If it wasn't cleared you could just "pop" out that clear green insert as you say.

But it *is* cleared in there. And to get it out and replaced with the proper one is a royal PIA not to mention a pricey fix to have it re-cleared after you put an opaque one in it's place.

How do you propose to pop it out without ruining the clear around it? Exacto knife around the insert edges???

Quoted from vid1900:

If it bothers anyone, then just pop out the clear and install an opaque insert. .50 cents at PBR

#21 4 years ago

Good point about the Bally general rule. I'm trying to find a Bally title from that era that called for that clear green insert of that size but am coming up empty. Anyone?

Quoted from sudsy7:

FYI - As a general rule, Bally used opaque green "double bonus" inserts for almost all their games in the 70's. It was likely called out on the drawing, but it wasn't a hard rule and you know they didn't shut down the factory because they ran out of opaque! You guys obviously ended up with one of those minority playfields for your template. It's not right or wrong, it's just not the traditional look. It will bother the "purists", but it still looks fine.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

How do you propose to pop it out without ruining the clear around it? Exacto knife around the insert edges???

Exactly.

That's how you remove any damaged insert from a cleared playfield.

0-

Sand the new insert for tooth, lightly clear the top if it (masking the sides), apply keylining decal, put a real clearcoat over the decal, glue into playfield.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Sand the new insert for tooth, lightly clear the top if it (masking the sides), apply keylining decal, put a real clearcoat over the decal, glue into playfield.

Looks good on paper! If it bothered me that much though, I would go ahead and buy the 50 cent insert - then send it, along with the playfield and $600 to Kruzman.

#24 4 years ago

Seriously???? You guys that are whining about a green translucent insert being not opaque....This leads me to believe that you are a "purist" ? Right? So if you're a "purist" then why are you buying a "Reproduction" playfield ( or any repro part for that matter ). You "purists" should never touch a repro anything, as a Purist you should be doing Touch-Ups & Clear-Coating an Original playfield not buying a Repro! So at this point I have to question you being a purist.....and if your Not really a purist, then just put your old playfield away - install the repro & enjoy your new game.....damn.

#25 4 years ago

Whining? No one is whining. Just asking some questions about the thought process when repro'ing a field from this era. And the playfields you guys are doing look fantastic! Just trying to get them as close to the original it's replacing that's all. You do fantastic work and bring new life to these old school classic games. Just trying to give some constructive feedback I think is all that was going on here. Like when the Wizard playfields were being produced a while back by another outfit. The guy repro'ing put it out there that he couldn't one of the inserts colors exactly like original and put it out to the community for a vote and I think even allowed a choice on which insert color you wanted subbed in for that particular insert.

Something like that choice would be a great addition and I bet most collectors would even pay a bit more to get it if price was a factor.

Again the CPR artists and Kevin do a fantastic job with these playfields and we are lucky to have them in this hobby! =)

#27 4 years ago

Deep breath Stu. CPR playfields are fantastic. Enough said. Stu do not let a few distract you from the big picture. You have provided way to much time and commitment to this hobby. Your talents are appreciated.

#28 4 years ago

I'm just pointing out that inserts are replaced from cleared playfields when they crack, all the time.

If you really wanted a Frankenstein, pull your old insert and put it in the new CPR.....oooohhhhhhhhhh

#29 4 years ago

As Mike mentioned above: He DID match the source board we had. And that board was a "used" playfield, came out of a production game, and was originally manufactured by Bally, so "technically" speaking the Green Translucent Insert is 100% Correct as it matches the OEM Bally Board we have.

So we did match it as closely to the original as possible.....the fact that our repro board doesn't match "your" board is irrelevant, we did match a Used OEM Board from Bally......Keeping in mind that there were 4 Different Playfield Manufacturers making playfields for Bally and none of them ever matched each other.......

Quoted from DRDAVE:

Just trying to get them as close to the original it's replacing that's all.

Quoted from CPR:

I have to follow something and in almost every case we follow the examples that we have on hand. What that means is that I have an ACTUAL playfield that came out of an actual game and those are the colors I order and the colors we glue in. There is NO advantage whatsoever, to not using the same inserts that are in my sample.

#30 4 years ago

ok, so I guess what bothers me the most is that we sweat blood to make new parts and most of the time we do not really make a profit at it and Within 2-3 DAYS of a product being released it's already being shit all over by people on the forums > Can't you guys Wait until at least a Month AFTER it's been released to shit all over it????

You do realize that every time we release a new product & it gets shit on within a couple of days that it kills our sales! Cut us a break will ya, give it a month before you go peeing in our cheerios!

EDIT: End Rant. It's Beer:30

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

ok, so I guess what bothers me the most is that we sweat blood to make new parts and most of the time we do not really make a profit at it and Within 2-3 DAYS of a product being released it's already being shit all over by people on the forums > Can't you guys Wait until at least a Month AFTER it's been released to shit all over it????
You do realize that every time we release a new product & it gets shit on within a couple of days that it kills our sales! Cut us a break will ya, give it a month before you go peeing in our cheerios!

Welcome to retailing *anything* these days!

That's why I quit retailing a few years back. Didnt need the stress....

rd.

#32 4 years ago

Great work. Anyone upset with your pre-order that has inserts that you aren't happy with, please contact me. I would be happy to take your spot and play field.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Seriously????

Quoted from Stu:

ok, so I guess what bothers me the most is that we sweat blood to make new parts and most of the time we do not really make a profit

Quoted from Stu:

Can't you guys Wait until at least a Month AFTER it's been released to shit all over it????

Yea and quit peeing in Stu's soup while your at it!................or whatever.

Quoted from Stu:

Oh and CPR does great work by the way, so a big Thank You to Stu and the gang.

End Rant is right! It's Cocktail 30!

Ken

#34 4 years ago

my EK playfield has black mould and a missing insert (ironically the green one)... i dont care if the replacement is pink ... just grateful to save the machine

insert

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Seriously???? You guys that are whining about a green translucent insert being not opaque....This leads me to believe that you are a "purist" ? Right? So if you're a "purist" then why are you buying a "Reproduction" playfield ( or any repro part for that matter ). You "purists" should never touch a repro anything, as a Purist you should be doing Touch-Ups & Clear-Coating an Original playfield not buying a Repro! So at this point I have to question you being a purist.....and if your Not really a purist, then just put your old playfield away - install the repro & enjoy your new game.....damn.

Quoted from Stu:

Stu man, grab a Snickers bar. You sound like you are new to this game. When you put something out it will get shit on. If you are going to let a few pinsiders get you wound up maybe stop reading the forums. People are going to buy your product you pre sell most of these right? Really, you make no money off these, well thanks for helping out the hobby then. You guys put out a decent product you know it and so does most everyone else in this hobby. That being said your customer support sucks for me. Thanks for answering my email months ago about a insert i needed to replace on one of your playfields.

#36 4 years ago

Eagerly awaiting my purchase email!

#37 4 years ago

Your trying to Kill Me now? > I'm Diabetic!

Quoted from Rock914:

Stu man, grab a Snickers bar.

Customer Support? I didn't realize CPR actually had a "Customer Support" representative....can you tell me who that is 'cause Me, Mike & Kevin would like to know.....

Quoted from Rock914:

That being said your customer support sucks for me.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Your trying to Kill Me now? > I'm Diabetic!

Customer Support? I didn't realize CPR actually had a "Customer Support" representative....can you tell me who that is 'cause Me, Mike & Kevin would like to know.....

Sorry i sent an email. To info@blah blah i thought someone would read them. Not trying to kill you my reference was to the (diva) Snickers commercial.

1 week later
#39 4 years ago

FYI - This note now appears on the photo gallery:

"PLEASE NOTE: Double Bonus Inserts are OPAQUE GREEN for 99% of the run.
It was a total fluke that this one-off with transparents was grabbed for the photography."

So...not sure about the sample board explanation, but the production boards were made with the correct insert.

Sales should be fine, and both "purists" & "non-purists" alike should be happy now!

#40 4 years ago

J'ai reçu le mien cette semaine, je suis très satisfait et heureux.

Merci CPR

#41 4 years ago

How do I get in line for one.

#42 4 years ago

Once we have purged the Pre-Order list any left-overs will be available on the CPR Web Site Store page

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from Stu:

Once we have purged the Pre-Order list any left-overs will be available on the CPR Web Site Store page

hey..just thanks for not forgetting about me.the pinball gods have smiled on me once again this day.my order placed and paid for...finally after 21years..12.354 games to date we play on our machine will be put back to new thanks to all your efforts at cpr and the gods of pinball.THANKS!

#44 4 years ago

#45 4 years ago

Stu takes constructive criticsm so well doesn't he? lol

As for CPR's customer support, it's Kevin. He's a straight-up dude and has always been very cordial and professional with me. You can always buy with confidence from CPR though because they have always guaranteed their product with me.

Reproduction pinball parts are just like reproduction parts for classic cars. Buyers are always going to notice differences between OEM and the repop and they are also going to prefer repops that are as close to OEM as possible. The more closely a "reproduction" resembles the original, the better the reproduction is. If a vendor had just released reproduction rocker moldings for a 1963 Corvette that didn't quite look the same as the originals (but were still nice) and buyers were commenting on the discrepencies, would you expect the vendor to tell the buyer to STFU and if they are purists to not buy them? I don't think so.

Well I don't have to worry about upsetting Stu with this post since he has me on his "ignore" list. Upsetting him was never my intention anyway.

Here's an idea for CPR to consider. If the insert is supposed to be more opaque than it is, try taking one and maybe sandblasting the underneath with aluminum oxide and see if that does anything for the opacity. Could be an easy fix.

Another thing to try would be to spray some satin clear underneath the insert.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

FYI - This note now appears on the photo gallery:

"PLEASE NOTE: Double Bonus Inserts are OPAQUE GREEN for 99% of the run.
It was a total fluke that this one-off with transparents was grabbed for the photography."

So...not sure about the sample board explanation, but the production boards were made with the correct insert.

Sales should be fine, and both "purists" & "non-purists" alike should be happy now!

#47 4 years ago

Think I'm going to order the trilogy....then wait patiently for a game.

#48 4 years ago

Now that's a Plan !

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
2,200 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Toronto, ON
$ 279.95
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 86.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 21.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Washington, DC
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside