(Topic ID: 309318)

CPR is selling "Plastics Upgrade Kits" now. Thoughts?

By tomdrum

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CubeSnake
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“CPR is selling "Plastics Upgrade Kits" now. Thoughts?”

• Overpriced 24 votes
      50%
    • I like my games original 24 votes
      50%
    • Gotta have that! 0 votes

(48 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dmpryce (resized).jpg
    A218F326-7243-4021-9600-A7DD7ABE6C69.gif
    8A9919CE-A15C-422A-84CE-814CA88724CA.jpeg
    3EDA81B3-8B13-47C9-B5E7-8B36844ACDE5 (resized).jpeg
    george.jpg

#1 2 years ago

Just noticed these on CPR's website. Looking at the titles some pieces are cool. Doubt I buy one at $69 however. What do you think?

https://classicplayfields.com/product-category/plastics-upgrade-kits/

#2 2 years ago

I own Fathom and Medusa, and the art in these kits doesn’t match. Interesting concept, but no thanks.

#3 2 years ago

Nope...

#4 2 years ago

Not my cup of tea. The style of the "upgrades" just don't seem to match the spirit of the game.

For example, the Star Trek insignia looks like a modern image, not one that I would associate with Kirk's Star Trek.

#5 2 years ago

I’d buy a Flash Gordon set for 1/2 the price.
    Inlane guides are tempting

#6 2 years ago

Ewwww.

#7 2 years ago

I just threw up in my mouth. They’re getting desperate.

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from bballfan:

I’d buy a Flash Gordon set for 1/2 the price.
    Inlane guides are tempting

Only thing I saw I liked.

#9 2 years ago

Overpriced and like the toppers not something most people want.

#10 2 years ago

On one hand I feel like if you have time to make this pure fucking garbage shit you should probably work harder on Playfields.
    On the other hand, looks like only 37 minutes of work time was spent designing them so I can;t be too upset.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

On one hand I feel like if you have time to make this pure fucking garbage shit you should probably work harder on Playfields.
    On the other hand, looks like only 37 minutes of work time was spent designing them so I can;t be too upset.

My thoughts exactly. Been waiting years for a Bally Fireball II plastics set.

#12 2 years ago

I don't understand who their art director is that produces this absolute garbage and who is buying shit that looks like this? It's insane.

#13 2 years ago

Maybe if the art style actually matched the art already in place on the game, but it looks like most of those would clash rather than compliment a game.

Interesting concept, but I think it's both too costly and the art doesn't work.

I think it would be better received if the artwork on the mods actually matched the game artwork better.

#14 2 years ago

They just don’t seem to understand the concept that you don’t mix styles of art all together like that.
    If something is hand drawn in a certain style with a certain font you stick with that style with any and every option you make for the game.
    It’s like photoshopping just yourself from today into a family portrait from the 70s.

#15 2 years ago

Evel Knievel and Eightball look ok, the rest, no. and for the price, double no

#16 2 years ago

I’d love to have that Xenon shooter lane cover thing for like $5 so I can put it in the coin box to eventually install and inevitably forget that I bought it.

#17 2 years ago

Honestly, who buys this shit?? It's a shame the time and effort spent cobbling this rubbish together, no matter the quantity, isn't invested in more attention to detail on the playfields and plastic sets. Once upon a time I visited the CPR page weekly, sometimes daily to see what was available or coming soon. Not anymore, I'd be lucky to visit their site once every 3 months now, and have only purchased 1 item in the last I don't know how long. Such a shame as there was some real potential at one stage.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

It’s like photoshopping just yourself from today into a family portrait from the 70s.

Or this....

george.jpggeorge.jpg
    #19 2 years ago

Supply your own double sided tape…Because at $70 for 5 pieces of scrap plastic adding 4 cents worth of adhesive would cripple the company’s budget

3EDA81B3-8B13-47C9-B5E7-8B36844ACDE5 (resized).jpeg3EDA81B3-8B13-47C9-B5E7-8B36844ACDE5 (resized).jpeg
    #20 2 years ago

I wonder if the coin insert artwork text still ends up under the bezel which looks really stupid.

#21 2 years ago
    8A9919CE-A15C-422A-84CE-814CA88724CA.jpeg8A9919CE-A15C-422A-84CE-814CA88724CA.jpegA218F326-7243-4021-9600-A7DD7ABE6C69.gifA218F326-7243-4021-9600-A7DD7ABE6C69.gif
    #22 2 years ago

They ought to spend resources producing plastic sets that have never been produced yet.

#23 2 years ago

Garbage.

Concentrate on getting colors and details correct on the ORIGINAL artwork products.

Again, who buys this crap ?

#24 2 years ago

Surely that Star Trek is intended for the Stern one where it would match the insignia........right? *Edit* If not, that brings up some very interesting licensing questions..

*Cringe*

You would think they would've learned their lesson after the whole colorized Centaur playfield debacle.....guess not...

#25 2 years ago

Wish they would just focus on playfields, backglasses and pinball plastics and spend more time getting their back ordered products back in stock.

#26 2 years ago

The Kiss one is dumb…the style of art is modern and doesn’t match. Just a waste of time/effort. I like the idea but as others said the art has to be the same style or it doesn’t work. Hard pass on these for me.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from High_End_Pins:

They just don’t seem to understand the concept that you don’t mix styles of art all together like that.
    If something is hand drawn in a certain style with a certain font you stick with that style with any and every option you make for the game.

But- Future Spa!

#28 2 years ago

I want someone to finish the prototype art and run THAT.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I want someone to finish the prototype art and run THAT.

Is there somewhere we can see the unfinished prototype art?

#31 2 years ago

Someone posted about these on FB and Stu got really bent out of shape about it. They are hideous. Who would buy these? I'd honestly rather have no plastics than these. I get that you probably put a lot of hard work into these, and the toppers, and the rethemes, but I don't know man, maybe graphic design isn't for you. I appreciate a lot of what CPR has done for the hobby, but lately it seems like most of the new stuff is just an atrocity. I honestly can't imagine anyone buying these.

He did explain that the licensing sometimes makes the actual plastics cost prohibitive to reproduce. I get that, but this ain't the answer.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

He did explain that the licensing sometimes makes the actual plastics cost prohibitive to reproduce.

And yet they sell a bunch of licensed PF's, BG's and plastics now. And unlicensed games like Fireball II and Vector, no plastics sets.

#33 2 years ago

Remember when if someone had a bad idea society would tell them?

“Hey I’m going to do this thing”

Everyone Else: Dude that’s a terrible idea don’t waste your time…

Now it’s
    “Hey I’m going to do this thing”
    Everyone Else: You can do anything you put your mind to and if anyone tells you any different they should be cast from society!

Someone needs to tell CPR. QUIT DOING THIS!!!! THIS IDEA SUCKS!

If someone would’ve said that before they hit print then we wouldn’t be here

#34 2 years ago

Who knows. Maybe they sell enough of them? The margins have to be great on them. Maybe the ROI is very easy. That’s the only thing I can think of.

#35 2 years ago

"Upgrade"

#36 2 years ago

Poll needs an option...No doesn't look like the the art on the game.

I don't think price matters anymore in the pinball universe

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from BeachPickle:

Is there somewhere we can see the unfinished prototype art?

https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=974

#38 2 years ago

Ugly and tacky, not my style. But has a very high profit margin for them if they have any takers of this junk

#39 2 years ago

The time spent here could be used to dig clear coat out of the star rollovers on playfields shipped out. Tisk tisk

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballer73:

Honestly, who buys this shit??

I don't know.....this guy might.

dmpryce (resized).jpgdmpryce (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cpr-is-selling-plastics-upgrade-kits-now-thoughts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.